Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 08:17 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
@mattchow probably knows more than I do but I'll give it a try... the cats and/or headers may necessitate a tune or you'll get CELs and it may not run right. You can do the slip-ons such as akropovic first without a tune and the stock tune can adjust. The cats and headers may need to be installed concurrent with the tune.

I can't speak for M-Engineering but I think they'll send you a new map without much hassle as you upgrade. So the order of things could be
  1. Cat back exhaust
  2. Tune
  3. Enjoy
  4. Headers and Cats
sounds like a pretty good path way to me, the only reason why I did almost everything at once is that im impatient, and my soul valveless exhaust is a singular unit with cats & rear section all together.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:10 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Not busted but I lost any and all support from manufacturer for any problems. Threatening with Magnussen Act did nothing. It was not so much who pays for it (I would have, no issue) but they did not want to touch my car with a 10ft pole anymore. Sold the car as it was ridiculous and I got tired of it. Car was great, no issue with tune itself. Friend of mine did have a blown engine but he also added some larger PTG turbo's, not just tune. He had to rebuilt and took the opportunity to upgrade the internals to forged.
Threats don’t do crap. File the suit and build the case. Only weenies issue paper threats.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:29 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Threats don’t do crap. File the suit and build the case. Only weenies issue paper threats.
My.time is too valuable to waste it for that.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

My.time is too valuable to waste it for that.
Fair, but companies know that. If you don’t have the will to file suit you will get nada.

No aspersions, but that’s how companies are today.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:36 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Fair, but companies know that. If you don’t have the will to file suit you will get nada.

No aspersions, but that’s how companies are today.
No, I am just realistic. If you want to take them to court it's a long process, costs more money and time than the issue is worth and by the time it's done, even if you win, the car is old and I lost valuable time I could have spent on more important things. You only live once and that's not worth the headache and lost opportunities. Just like in business - look at the ROI before you invest.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:42 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

No, I am just realistic. If you want to take them to court it's a long process, costs more money and time than the issue is worth and by the time it's done, even if you win, the car is old and I lost valuable time I could have spent on more important things. You only live once and that's not worth the headache and lost opportunities. Just like in business - look at the ROI before you invest.
Arbitration should not take longer than 40 days, costs paid by the factory (not your representation though). Problem is that according to the internets, factories win 90% of the time.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Arbitration should not take longer than 40 days, costs paid by the factory (not your representation though). Problem is that according to the internets, factories win 90% of the time.
Internet is wrong.

More like 98% of the time.
The following users liked this post:
Tobeit (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 12:04 PM
gts 992
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Tuning process
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7960.MOV (15.69 MB, 65 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by gts 992:
911Stiller (07-24-2022), AlterZgo (07-22-2022), mattchow (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 12:59 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
real world my friend, real world speaks louder ..and as stated the odds to win knowing I had it modified are close to zero too... even if the tune had nothing to do with it...they simply claim I can't entirely proof the tune did nothing (hard to proof something did not happen) that while they can proof I modified (easy to proof). So yeah, not worth my time.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

real world my friend, real world speaks louder ..and as stated the odds to win knowing I had it modified are close to zero too... even if the tune had nothing to do with it...they simply claim I can't entirely proof the tune did nothing (hard to proof something did not happen) that while they can proof I modified (easy to proof). So yeah, not worth my time.
While I agree with you that the odds of winning are long, it's not exactly how you describe.

The burden is not on you (the car owner) to prove anything. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle’s warranty cannot be “voided;” the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

That said, as people who do this for a living (i.e. car manufacturers and their hired lawyers), it's quite easy to prove that some aftermarket (i.e., non OEM part) caused some sort of unintended effect on an OEM part, as long as the connection is not so tenuous as to be laughable (i.e., aftermarket muffler caused the leather steering wheel to crack).

If you mess with the ECU or tune your car, which is basically the heart of the car, then it can literally affect everything in the drivetrain and the engine, which is about as easy to prove as water is wet. So good luck.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:40 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

So I'm back on the thread after a few days... we are still talking warranty? lol
The following users liked this post:
911Stiller (07-24-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 03:45 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I agree with you that the odds of winning are long, it's not exactly how you describe.

The burden is not on you (the car owner) to prove anything. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle’s warranty cannot be “voided;” the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

That said, as people who do this for a living (i.e. car manufacturers and their hired lawyers), it's quite easy to prove that some aftermarket (i.e., non OEM part) caused some sort of unintended effect on an OEM part, as long as the connection is not so tenuous as to be laughable (i.e., aftermarket muffler caused the leather steering wheel to crack).

If you mess with the ECU or tune your car, which is basically the heart of the car, then it can literally affect everything in the drivetrain and the engine, which is about as easy to prove as water is wet. So good luck.
I think you explained it well why I did not even try a lawsuit. I am good with my decision as it took the joy out of owning my previous car and I decided to make a change (but loved that car and put a lot of effort into it). That's my point here. I moved on and enjoy my new ride (the 992) and started a few projects...just not sure I am having the nerves to tune right away again. Car is fun to drive as is and I really don't need the power for what I do with it ..but sure intrigues me and makes my fingers itch. Just learned my (new) dealer installs GIAC tunes and takes it on them if anything happens, i.e. they cover and don't tell Porsche.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
So I'm back on the thread after a few days... we are still talking warranty? lol
This conversation happens VERY often. I’m surprised there’s not a big shot lawyer on this forum that can spare a few hours of his apple assed paralegal’s time to do some case study in this. Just give us one precedent of a tune not voiding a blown engine/trans warranty and M-Engineering would have more revenue than Apple.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:19 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,594 Likes on 573 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
911Stiller (07-24-2022), HashTag (07-22-2022), mattchow (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:53 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by gts 992
Tuning process
this is with the Akra and sport cats?

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?