Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022 | 10:07 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeyBagadonuts
It amazes me that people some think that modifying your vehicle with a tune and such can cause your warranty to be voided or terminated. The amount of misinformation on these forums never ceases to astound me. Hopefully no one on here takes anything they read as more than entertainment.
I am trying to decide if you are trying to be funny, sarcastic, or simply uninformed and blue eyed. Not sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Skarz (07-19-2022), Tupper (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022 | 10:45 PM
gts 992
Intermediate

Tuning in my experience, today I installed the akrapovic exhaust with bmc filters and 200 cell downpipes. When we did the M-engineering tune the carrera 992 gts gave 547 whp I think it’s prettying good but the performance went down drastically when it’s started to get hot, I really believe you need Intercoolers for this car, I got a new map from m engineering adjusting some altitude parameters. I believe ( or my local tuner thinks) the car should do 580 whp to the wheels so tomorrow we are going to try it.

( all above was in my experience)
The following users liked this post:
911Stiller (10-29-2022)
Old 07-19-2022 | 12:59 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

If people are worried about the warranty on their engines, then don't bother to post in these threads. It amazes me how many people just read a thread about tuning and then start talking about warranty when they have no intention of ever modifying their own car or may not even own one. Go start a thread on warranty. Your input here is senseless. For the rest, who want to modify their cars and are not at the holy grail of warranty, carry on.
The following 2 users liked this post by inastrangeland:
MQuattlebaum (07-19-2022), Tupper (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022 | 03:34 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Just ordered a tune for my 4S from M engineering. Can’t wait to see what she puts down in the real world. My previous car was exclusively tracked for 26k miles by original owner who heavily modified it and I drove it another 10k without a hiccup. I’m pretty sure the current owner is smiling ear to ear. You gotta give more credit to Porsche cmon man
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:01 AM
westsiderkg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by citrolene
True and seems as though the warranty police are called to action in each and every one of these threads where the great gains that aftermarket calibrations provide are discussed or even mentioned. That is a real "no no" in their timid world where the almighty factory limited warranty provides them the security that they treasure to the point of being compelled to issue a stern warning or lecture for anyone who dares to compromise this precious safety blanket. These guys are as entertaining as they are irritating.
Dear naysayers, its 2022, m-engineering for example is technical partners with Porsche NA. Does anyone logically believe PNA would partner with a tuner to only grenade their motors, lol? Tune with a trusted source and its extremely unlikely you'll ever have a issue. Heck, my dealership even installs tunes like APR. As technology progresses I'd venture these types of tales are becoming more myth than truth. I've had all my modern pcars tuned and never once did a dealership deny a warrenty claim, nor did they notice it was tuned...or atleast they didn't ask / tell me they noticed it.

Last edited by westsiderkg; 07-19-2022 at 11:03 AM.
citrolene (07-20-2022)
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:17 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Looks some people got up on the wrong foot this morning, complaining about what people can or can not post on open forums. Chill, gentlemen, move on, it adds nothing to the topic either. My 2c
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:53 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What you guys need to understand is that the people who warn about warranties don’t realize that everybody already knows this. They think that they are the first people broaching this subject.

I know, as early on I sort of did the same thing. Then I tuned, and now I read people posting about warranties and roll my eyes as well, but it’s ok. A few of them will eventually say “f@&k it!” and tune their cars as well. It’s a journey, as the initial excitement about your car fades and you begin to catch the mod fever
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:58 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Looks some people got up on the wrong foot this morning, complaining about what people can or can not post on open forums. Chill, gentlemen, move on, it adds nothing to the topic either. My 2c
Like your own posts...
Old 07-19-2022 | 12:16 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
What you guys need to understand is that the people who warn about warranties don’t realize that everybody already knows this. They think that they are the first people broaching this subject.

I know, as early on I sort of did the same thing. Then I tuned, and now I read people posting about warranties and roll my eyes as well, but it’s ok. A few of them will eventually say “f@&k it!” and tune their cars as well. It’s a journey, as the initial excitement about your car fades and you begin to catch the mod fever
Not really - the thread is named "is anyone tuning yet"...natural answer is responding yes or no and provide a reason why. I myself have had many tuned cars and still have 2 tuned and 3 not tuned. Yet, I chime in when people falsely claim that tunes cause no warranty issue and Porsche does not care, turns a blind eye etc. If these false claims would not be repeated 100 times nobody would challenge and correct it. And now a bunch of people will get on me tell me they never had an issue, their Porsche dealer installed it and is cool with it (mine installs GIAC tunes) and on it goes. Any of you guys blasting the "warranty" guys - I like to see your stance when your manufacturer black lists your car and an engine swap/repair is north of $20k. So, cut out the false claims and nobody will respond to it.
Fullyield (07-20-2022)
Old 07-19-2022 | 02:43 PM
gts 992
Intermediate

M-engineering stage 2 akra downpipes and bmc filter
The following 2 users liked this post by gts 992:
911Stiller (07-19-2022), Tobeit (07-20-2022)
Old 07-19-2022 | 11:09 PM
911Stiller
Instructor

Originally Posted by gts 992

M-engineering stage 2 akra downpipes and bmc filter
Congrats on the tune. Do you have any clips or videos? I am looking to do the same....
Old 07-20-2022 | 08:30 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Not really - the thread is named "is anyone tuning yet"...natural answer is responding yes or no and provide a reason why. I myself have had many tuned cars and still have 2 tuned and 3 not tuned. Yet, I chime in when people falsely claim that tunes cause no warranty issue and Porsche does not care, turns a blind eye etc. If these false claims would not be repeated 100 times nobody would challenge and correct it. And now a bunch of people will get on me tell me they never had an issue, their Porsche dealer installed it and is cool with it (mine installs GIAC tunes) and on it goes. Any of you guys blasting the "warranty" guys - I like to see your stance when your manufacturer black lists your car and an engine swap/repair is north of $20k. So, cut out the false claims and nobody will respond to it.
Good points. There are many factors that effect the decision whether to tune. The age of the vehicle and any effect on a pending warranty is just one of many factors to be considered. Anyone who takes the time to read this thread will see that the warranty problems are also recognized by the tuners themselves. See Charles from M Engineering (great company and product) post above recognizing that warranty is a potential issue and also the APR response. APR actually offers a supplemental warranty with its tune to address this issue. So, the people who develop, sell and service tunes recognize it is a legitimate issue and actually discuss it in this thread which is preferable to an ostrich-like response. Hope is not a viable risk management plan. Moreover, the warranty factor also effects the WHEN I tune as well as the IF I tune. But, I do appreciate the open-minded RL members who welcome contrary views expressed by others and realize that everyone does not wear the same size and style of shoe. Thank you for reminding all that this thread was originally by “991.1 Guy” with a question that encourages debate and discussion regarding the decision to tune. Everyone is invited to respond to that original question. It was not started by those who discount any opinion which is different than their own.
jtsrenn (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022 | 10:31 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by citrolene
I've had more tuned or powertrain modified cars under original factory warranty than I can really count at this point and like the overwhelming majority of guys here who do same have never had a single problem. We don't need any lectures or sanctimonious enlightenments about the potential risks of our ways that some of the self appointed warranty police consider reckless and irresponsible.
How many more times do guys like us need to hear this same irritating broken record played over and over by guys who can't afford or don't have enough testosterone to venture outside of the box.
If my enjoyment of performance modification does ever cause me a problem inside the oh so precious, never to be jeopordized, warranty period then I'll pay for it, I can afford it. No more complicated than that and certainly no need for a lenghty philosophical dialogue that so often follows.
Good for you. I am glad you have pockets deep enough to cover all risks and any contingencies. But, many RL members do not. I think many 992 owners are looking to tune their cars in a few years when their factory warranties expire and/or after headers are installed first. There is no reason to alienate or discount those members since it is their 992, their $ and their decision after all. You should support their decision to wait just like they support your decision to not wait with your car and your $. I see the meritorious argument for both positions. When and why others chose to tune is their decision, not mine, so I do not criticize that decision. No more complicated than that.

Last edited by Fullyield; 07-20-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2022 | 04:40 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Good for you. I am glad you have pockets deep enough to cover all risks and any contingencies. But, many RL members do not. I think many 992 owners are looking to tune their cars in a few years when their factory warranties expire and/or after headers are installed first. There is no reason to alienate or discount those members since it is their 992, their $ and their decision after all. You should support their decision to wait just like they support your decision to not wait with your car and your $. I see the meritorious argument for both positions. When and why others chose to tune is their decision, not mine, so I do not criticize that decision. No more complicated than that.
Ok then those same rennlisters should wait till their warranty expires. Not everyone has the same levels of concern. It’s also not cool to bash on the guys who are not afraid to tune and venture into the unknown. If not for them the tuners would never advance the technology. And you guys who are on the fence would have nothing to be on the fence about. The Warranty Worriers do not support the guys who tune. That’s part of this entire argument. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen
Old 07-20-2022 | 04:47 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Ok then those same rennlisters should wait till their warranty expires. Not everyone has the same levels of concern. It’s also not cool to bash on the guys who are not afraid to tune and venture into the unknown. If not for them the tuners would never advance the technology. And you guys who are on the fence would have nothing to be on the fence about. The Warranty Worriers do not support the guys who tune. That’s part of this entire argument. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen
Did I miss something? Who is bashing the guys who have tuned their cars? Seems this conversation lost any correlation to its origin. Lets move on, it becomes boring.

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?