Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 01:10 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,320 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
Im surprised someone hasn’t posted Dyno numbers.
@tourenwagen is getting his T ecu upgraded. I hear u can do upgrade yourself easily these days. So not sure if he’s getting it dyno’d before and/or after?

U could get rough numbers. But I think he straight piped his T. So another factor.

Last edited by ECNJ; 06-11-2023 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:30 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott P
Anyone else get this nice little gift from Porsche? Just came today, a nice looking pen.
I only received the “This is not a toy” toy car from Porsha NA. But got some goodies including a pen from my cool SA! Some bad SAs out there. But as a first time Porsha buyer, they were the bestest. So many cool people that work in the car industry….just gotta sort it out…

HerrDr (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:45 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by rrroadking

2024 get a HP bump to 385

Interesting point… however, motor is the same. It looks like the unit of measure is substituted from PS to HP.

My 2023MY 992T spec shows:

283kW (385PS). That is 385 metric horsepower, which equals to 380 HP or US/UK mechanical horsepower. So, slightly diff Unit of Measure (UoM).
Attached Images  

Last edited by Pivot; 06-11-2023 at 02:55 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-11-2023, 01:52 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
Im surprised someone hasn’t posted Dyno numbers.

I would like to see the Dyno numbers after 20,000km. Properly run in motor improves power/performance, with a peak power at ~20,000-25,000 km

Last edited by Pivot; 06-11-2023 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Un-autocorrect
Old 06-11-2023, 01:58 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

In the glovebox there are two clips on the inside of the door for a pen. But the pen Porsche sends out as a gift does not fit nor does the skinny pen Porsche sells at the dealers or on the Porsche online store.

semms rather silly to not send as a gift a pen that would fit in the pen holder location that Porsche built into the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Targa32:
HerrDr (06-12-2023), Macboy (06-12-2023), Pivot (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:21 PM
Surfingjeff
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ECNJ
Bro! I call people I feel connected with Bro no matter what anyone’s age. No disrespect. Ha, in Asian culture I probably should be bowing to u as my elder or something. I love and respect Asian culture (been to Japan including Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka many times for work) but I’ve spent most of my life in US and Western Europe so I’m probably more white than Asian, ha. Also, u are much older than me but mucho respect to u for getting tubular at that age. Love that pic! I’ve of course been to all the Hawaii islands. My favorite place on earth. Like being in Asia but everyone there speaks English, ha.

My love for cars started at age 16 when I got my license. My older Bro and I rebuilt an old Chevy 350 during high school. He unlike me graduated top of his class in engineering. Left CA for MI as soon as he finished college to start career in auto industry. He’s still at it but back in CA with one of the Japanese companies. He’s accomplished some prominent things for the industry. That’s about all i can say here. Main point is we’re both car freaks to the Nth degree. Interesting with our common interests in music also. Growing up in Cali how can u not be into the Police, Commodores, Chilis, Tupac, etc. I DJ’d PT at a major club Downtown LA called the Mayan. Turn out over 1,000 on weekends. I still have my DJ gear…Technics 1200s. As the DJ you were god of the club. Young ladies…enough said, ha. Not sure if u got your T yet, but please don’t tell me u ordered a Black T also!?
Black T Also my Wife’s Panamara is Black my Ram 1500 is black . I was a mechanic during college few years after . Serviced my 1968 912 , two 1977 911 Targas . Could not afford to have any body work on them .Dropped the engines and transaxles with transmission many times these engines leaked oil . Replaced seals , main seals . Once over head cam replaced cracked . Modified took the thermal reactor s off kept burning up engines in California then replaced with German Bursch headers trying to squeeze get closer to 200 HP on a 2600 pound 911 . All stock shift . These cars were chick magnets . Bought both of these for about $12000 used (New cabriolet was $25k ) which is six times the amount of a regular. Volkswagen wagon at $1985 brand new .how costs have changed my payment per month for my Porsche is more than the price of a Volkswagen. Back in the day .I was proud I could buy these Porsches in my late twenties . Graduated from Volkswagen wagon Karmin Ghia to 912 to 911s .

His and hers

1977 White on black interior no AC no Thermal Reactors replaced with headers . Color combo in early 1980s was the one to have all white like Miami Vice cars .

Last edited by Surfingjeff; 06-11-2023 at 02:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Surfingjeff:
ECNJ (06-11-2023), HerrDr (06-12-2023), Macboy (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:32 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Targa32
In the glovebox there are two clips on the inside of the door for a pen.
Thanks for sharing that info. Ha, haven’t spent much time opening glove box. I have one that fits perfectly and color matches my T.

Macboy (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Surfingjeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by ECNJ
@tourenwagen is getting his T ecu upgraded. I hear u can do upgrade yourself easily these days. So not sure if he’s getting it dyno’d before and/or after?

U could get rough numbers. But I think he straight piped his T. So another factor.
I was told straight pipes from a tuner to replace your cats were illegal in California. But you can’t do much in California lol. Just smoke pot I guess But then the state doesn’t need an inspection for 8 years .🧐 they allow you to pollute your body but not the air .

Last edited by Surfingjeff; 06-11-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:36 PM
jkampingafw
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 28 Posts

The following 6 users liked this post by jkampingafw:
2020Spyder (06-11-2023), ECNJ (06-11-2023), Macboy (06-12-2023), tourenwagen (06-11-2023), Uhu (06-14-2023), Wilder (06-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I own a 2021 Targa 4 with the base engine - same as the engine in my and your new 911 T. I have also driven a 911 S cabriolet in Europe last year for three weeks. The actual difference between the S and the base engine is trivial in normal aggressive street driving and zero difference when trying to avoid getting arrested. In fact/ I prefer the feel of the base engine over the S as the base engine has zero turbo lag while the S takes a big breath before jumping forward under acceleration. Getting on the freeway even you will find it difficult to keep your foot planted on the accelerator for very long unless you want to go to jail.

whether it is 385 or 400 hp is meaningless on the road. And on a mountain of country road it is essentially impossible to use all the power in this maligned base engine - just a few years ago the turbo’s had less hp than our new T’s.

I much prefer the base engine and using the saved $20,000 to $40,000 on a few more options that I will actively use every time I drive my car.

also the sound from this base engine is perfect. The cracks, pops and burbles on downshifts get louder and more numerous as the engine and exhaust mature.

My Targa now done 17,500 miles and I swear these sounds are getting better still.

Porsche sells all these higher hp engines because the profit margin must be massive. All they are doing is throwing in Turbo chargers with bigger blades. And to spin up those blades takes more time. Unless you’re on a racetrack and tenths of a second matter between winning or losing the base engine is the perfect sweet spot for a manual Transmission 911 T.

If one is a 0-60 time fanatic then order the PDK as the manual makes the car slower. In fact look at the times 0-60 on a 911 S manual versus a PDK base carrera or T and they are almost identical except the S guy has $20,000 fewer dollars in his pocket.

I know and appreciate that having an S or GTS or turbo or turbo S on the back of your car indicates to the girls that you have a larger package and all - as well as a larger pocket book potentially- but truthfully all these “upper” 911 models are mostly designed to impress other Porsche people and to put a lot more dollars in the pocket of Porsche.

take the extra $20,000 and buy a nice Rolex with a dial to match the color of your car. Or paint your T in a fantastic PTS color.

but at 70 miles an hour on the freeway an extra 50 or 100 hp is useless and in my opinion, from experience, a waste of money.

I personally would not mess with the world of the Porsche engineers by installing chips to over ride the carefully designed work by Porsche. Reliability is one of the best aspects of these vehicles and messing with the programming and engineering of these carefully designed toys is just silly and could void your warranty / as it should. Even changing the exhaust is silly. The engine sounds elegant and just enough raw to feel perfect.

if you want to play mechanic and race car driver buy some older Porsche for a lot less money and mess that car up. These new Porsche vehicles are very complex and are all controlled by software that uses inputs from sensors throughout the drivetrain.

push that sport response button - and smash the gas pedal down and hold on - I have never been able to hold my foot on the pedal for the entire 20 seconds of ***** out performance. The base engine takes on a different angry tone and screams as the car flies forward more than enough to scare your passenger for the five seconds you can keep the pedal depressed.

This T is the right car for guys that actually want to drive and are knowledgeable about the reality of driving on the roads available to us.

there is a video on YouTube with a GT3 vs a Base Carrera on a track and the times - same pro driver- are tenths of a second different.

the T is the smart and educated and intelligent choice.

Plus which of these two cars will your wife agree to take on a weekend long drive trip?

The following 4 users liked this post by Targa32:
Alex.In.M0tion (06-11-2023), Barkat03 (06-12-2023), HerrDr (06-12-2023), tourenwagen (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfingjeff
I was told straight pipes from a tuner to replace your cats were illegal in California. But you can’t do much in California lol. Just smoke pot I guess But then the state doesn’t need an inspection for 8 years .🧐 they allow you to pollute your body but not the air .
Removing CATS is illegal in every state. Thanks EPA!
Old 06-11-2023, 04:04 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 115 Posts

Soo many baseless assumptions on this post:

Your theory of not utilizing the extra HP applies to every single car:
- I should be content with 330i instead of 340i or M3?
- I should be content with C300 instead of AMG?
- Model 3 base should suffice instead Model 3 Performance?
Yet all the latter variants sell?

The actual difference between any of these cars is negligible in terms of HP on street driving. If you're content with base engine there is nothing wrong with that. But those who prefer more power should consider S or higher as well. There is a difference. Even when accelerating from stand still, there is a difference. S is faster.

Finally:
S does not indicate a "larger package" to the girls. I'm not sure how many ppl here are buying S while in high school.
S does not indicate a "larger book" in the world of financing vehicles now.

Edit: I do think T has bridged the gap between the base and S by introducing suspensions parts in T that are not available in S. Then you have plenty of folks who would crucify you for owning a PDK T instead of manual. You just can't win.

I own a 2021 Targa 4 with the base engine - same as the engine in my and your new 911 T. I have also driven a 911 S cabriolet in Europe last year for three weeks. The actual difference between the S and the base engine is trivial in normal aggressive street driving and zero difference when trying to avoid getting arrested. In fact/ I prefer the feel of the base engine over the S as the base engine has zero turbo lag while the S takes a big breath before jumping forward under acceleration. Getting on the freeway even you will find it difficult to keep your foot planted on the accelerator for very long unless you want to go to jail.

whether it is 385 or 400 hp is meaningless on the road. And on a mountain of country road it is essentially impossible to use all the power in this maligned base engine - just a few years ago the turbo’s had less hp than our new T’s.

I much prefer the base engine and using the saved $20,000 to $40,000 on a few more options that I will actively use every time I drive my car.

also the sound from this base engine is perfect. The cracks, pops and burbles on downshifts get louder and more numerous as the engine and exhaust mature.

My Targa now done 17,500 miles and I swear these sounds are getting better still.

Porsche sells all these higher hp engines because the profit margin must be massive. All they are doing is throwing in Turbo chargers with bigger blades. And to spin up those blades takes more time. Unless you’re on a racetrack and tenths of a second matter between winning or losing the base engine is the perfect sweet spot for a manual Transmission 911 T.

If one is a 0-60 time fanatic then order the PDK as the manual makes the car slower. In fact look at the times 0-60 on a 911 S manual versus a PDK base carrera or T and they are almost identical except the S guy has $20,000 fewer dollars in his pocket.

I know and appreciate that having an S or GTS or turbo or turbo S on the back of your car indicates to the girls that you have a larger package and all - as well as a larger pocket book potentially- but truthfully all these “upper” 911 models are mostly designed to impress other Porsche people and to put a lot more dollars in the pocket of Porsche.

take the extra $20,000 and buy a nice Rolex with a dial to match the color of your car. Or paint your T in a fantastic PTS color.

but at 70 miles an hour on the freeway an extra 50 or 100 hp is useless and in my opinion, from experience, a waste of money.

I personally would not mess with the world of the Porsche engineers by installing chips to over ride the carefully designed work by Porsche. Reliability is one of the best aspects of these vehicles and messing with the programming and engineering of these carefully designed toys is just silly and could void your warranty / as it should. Even changing the exhaust is silly. The engine sounds elegant and just enough raw to feel perfect.

if you want to play mechanic and race car driver buy some older Porsche for a lot less money and mess that car up. These new Porsche vehicles are very complex and are all controlled by software that uses inputs from sensors throughout the drivetrain.

push that sport response button - and smash the gas pedal down and hold on - I have never been able to hold my foot on the pedal for the entire 20 seconds of ***** out performance. The base engine takes on a different angry tone and screams as the car flies forward more than enough to scare your passenger for the five seconds you can keep the pedal depressed.

This T is the right car for guys that actually want to drive and are knowledgeable about the reality of driving on the roads available to us.

there is a video on YouTube with a GT3 vs a Base Carrera on a track and the times - same pro driver- are tenths of a second different.

https://youtu.be/tyeNmJxioEM

https://youtu.be/gXkc_vZJt6Y

the T is the smart and educated and intelligent choice.

Plus which of these two cars will your wife agree to take on a weekend long drive trip?

Last edited by itrocks4u; 06-11-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,029 Likes on 1,788 Posts

My Porsche indy mechanic is Porsche certified and spent 3 years in Germany training and working for the factory. When I asked him about tuning he said the factory leaves a lot of power on the table on purpose and that the factory has several different programs for each model. For example, the base and T are tuned differently and respond differently at various RPM. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tuning or changing the exhaust. 800 cel cats restrict a lot of power compared to even 300 cel cats.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:25 PM
eszu
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfingjeff
cool I’ve been In cal since 1979 but made In Japan congrats on MBA , living in NYC , know it well my wife’s from Long Island. Got to love all those Porsches my wife’s Panamara actually bought from the McLaren dealership Long Island . Never surfed Malibu but I grew up in Hawaii so surfered North Shore all the spots in the miracle mile usually Pipeline. We have a lot in common . Thanks for dropping a line . Shot of me surfing two summers ago at 65 yup I’m old . Also during college worked for music promoter brought in acts like Commondors , Geroge Benson , BB king , Police just to name a few . I set up the room sound checks pick up artest , set up contractual food supply’s . Fun job.

LaJolla Horse Shoes
Ho’ brah! I lived in Moiliili, moved off the island about 10 years ago now. Im sure I can fit my 5’4 Bing in the T if you ever want to catch a sesh 😬
Old 06-11-2023, 05:28 PM
Surfingjeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by eszu
Ho’ brah! I lived in Moiliili, moved off the island about 10 years ago now. Im sure I can fit my 5’4 Bing in the T if you ever want to catch a sesh 😬
I think I can fit my 6’2” fish through the sun roof ! In my T . The frunk will be fine for the wetsuits . I’m ready for a sesh.

Last edited by Surfingjeff; 06-11-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club