Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 12:53 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDr
Unrelated to any of the this discussion, did you create C++ or you just really enjoy using it?
Ha! Glad you spotted that! I haven't touched C++ in a decade however my spouse found that photo on some online meme and said that I looked like him. I'm in IT and have been obsessed with multiple monitors for quite some time.
The following users liked this post:
HerrDr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:01 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
Ha! Glad you spotted that! I haven't touched C++ in a decade however my spouse found that photo on some online meme and said that I looked like him. I'm in IT and have been obsessed with multiple monitors for quite some time.
I'm sitting here debugging some C++ right now (trying to get a project enough out of the way before I fly to Germany/Austria in less than a week) and saw that familiar face so had to ask.

I also agree with you on the usefulness of the rear seats! Loved chucking things back there in my last 911. Wish there was less gloss black on the interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by HerrDr:
A Nonce (02-18-2023), toph4242 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:08 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by HerrDr
I'm sitting here debugging some C++ right now (trying to get a project enough out of the way before I fly to Germany/Austria in less than a week) and saw that familiar face so had to ask.
You have my sympathies! I would have asked as well! You never know, maybe Bjarne would have helped with debugging!
The following 2 users liked this post by A Nonce:
Edward911 (02-18-2023), HerrDr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:12 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

All these ice grey pictures have me considering that color now.... I suppose the same will be true when we see real world Ruby Star too!
toph4242 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:18 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,099 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkat03
There’s a reason why Formula one cars don’t have RAS - they tried it and it slowed the cars down (albeit only by a tiny amount)
Actually not true.
Here is more about this. They were faster since the first laps done with it, but it was considered not worth the development and the chance to be caught with it.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
This is exactly what I mean. For every option, you can debate both sides. I added RAS as standard equipment because there were some posts that noted it should be key performance spec. Others have also said this is not required. Finally there was also a total extreme post where someone went to a porsche driving event where they were testing out RAS. The individual then pointed out that none of the vehicles had RAS on it that instructors agree with, but folks continued to rave about RAS.
Nick Murray was that person. Happened during a Porsche Experience Event (not journalists, just normal owners). People raving about RAS, etc, instructor tell Nick that actually, no cars present has it. Tells a lot about those "owners".
Old 02-18-2023, 01:23 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
The opposite actually...I was the one that went to the Porsche performance and masters driving school down at Barber Motorsport park and when I called the Porsche track school to find out how they build their cars for the track programs, I was told that all Carrera S and GTS models used on track are optioned with the RAS option... which is why I personally went forward with adding the option.
I stand by the fact that I could totally regret this down the road, but im going to run with it, and life is too short for regrets... Lucky to be able to order the car, and if someday I decide I made the wrong choice, its on to the next one
RAS was standard on my 991.2 GT3. On the track (MidOhio) it expands the performance envelope before the electronic nannies intrude which makes for a faster lap time. It's one of the myriad ways that the car makes me a faster (but not necessarily more skillful) driver. I didn't spec it on my 911T to avoid the extra weight, cost, and complexity. Just my $0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by lfish:
bobert75 (02-19-2023), toph4242 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:24 PM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Porsche and Michelin have not yet released an N-spec PS4S for the 992 turbo series.
OK then, here is a Carrera, with Carrera wheels (19/20 inch), on Michelins.

toph4242 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:33 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
Sure... but the difference between the Porsche experience center and these dedicated track schools are significant. The Porsche Experience center they are trying to sell cars, get people in the drivers seat and sell them on all the options that most probably don't need. The Masters, Masters RS classes etc are $5k-12K schools designed to teach enthusiasts how to be the best they possibly can be on track. OF COURSE they want to sell you their product, but I dont think they are sitting there thinking "Lets put RWS in all our track cars so people will buy the option"... they do it because its the best setup for that scenario according to them, and they can get the most out of the car and the driver with the setup that they use... In fact, this is a perfect example of certain cars on track were given the Ceramics and certain ones were given the steel brakes... they didnt go ceramic on everything... they also optioned some with manual, some with pdk...
When you go to these programs you sit down and have dinner with all the instructors (all current drivers for various Porsche racing programs)... and the drivers will be very honest about what they do and do not like.. Many were anti ceramic for the track, many were anti PDK (because they love the manual experience).. others were shockingly ANTI turbo S because it was just too much weight and power to enjoy on track... so I didn't ever feel like the people there were trying to sell me on anything other than Porsche itself. When I called to ask about the RWS, they also had to check and get back to me... they didnt know for sure the spec, and then called back and said, Yup... we make sure all the cars that can come with that option do get that box checked for this program.

OK Rant over... I say all of this to convince me and only me that I made the right choice haha... no pressure on anyone else to agree with me.
And I am willing to wager that they have a deal with Porsche to spec the cars as Porsche wants to push them. I'm not against the option..but know when you are being force fed.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:34 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Uhu
OK then, here is a Carrera, with Carrera wheels (19/20 inch), on Michelins.

Am I confused or was the statement about 992 Turbos?
Old 02-18-2023, 01:36 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Originally Posted by lfish
RAS was standard on my 991.2 GT3. On the track (MidOhio) it expands the performance envelope before the electronic nannies intrude which makes for a faster lap time. It's one of the myriad ways that the car makes me a faster (but not necessarily more skillful) driver. I didn't spec it on my 911T to avoid the extra weight, cost, and complexity. Just my $0.02
I agree with your assessment exactly! I actually heard that RAS can actually be a detriment if you’re trying to parallel park (higher chance to curb the rear wheels). Though I haven’t seen anyone else confirm this.

And YET, I chose to opt for the RAS even though I doubt I’ll be able to tell the difference. I’m not quite sure why exactly though, I think it probably has some FOMO component to it.

Knowing myself, I would probably overthink about if the driving experience would be better if I did have RAS. This is in spite all the evidence pointing to it making no difference to driving enjoyment. Figured 2k is not a bad amount to spend to be able to avoid those negative thoughts altogether!

Last edited by A Nonce; 02-18-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:55 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,115 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkat03
1. Left it at manual and not give the pdk option - they left base at pdk only, why not do the same as T
2. Add RAS as a standard equipment if it was important to the "ethos of T". They did add Sport Exhaust and Sport Chrono as standard.
3. If sunroof is not the preferred way to go, it should not be an option either.
4.Don't give the option to spec rear seats at all.’

#2 - Why is RAS part of the T ethos??
If anything it should be banned on the T as it adds weight and doesn’t add much (according to most reviews) other than tight driveways etc
The only reason I got a glass sunroof is to break up all the green. Carbon fiber is too expensive imo for the benefit it provides. I was considering fake vinyl carbon fiber but in the end my wife wanted a sunroof so I compromised. I got RAS for the tight turning radius as I have to turn around and go back out my long driveway.

toph4242 (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:17 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cartod
The only reason I got a glass sunroof is to break up all the green. Carbon fiber is too expensive imo for the benefit it provides. I was considering fake vinyl carbon fiber but in the end my wife wanted a sunroof so I compromised. I got RAS for the tight turning radius as I have to turn around and go back out my long driveway.
great build! Very valid assessment too! Though I went with the CF roof (aesthetics). I think it matches the gray accents vs. a little better than the glass roof but who knows as I haven’t seen one in real life yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by A Nonce:
Cartod (02-18-2023), HerrDr (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:23 PM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
Am I confused or was the statement about 992 Turbos?
It might be.

There was an ideea about Carrera Exclusiv wheels getting Michelin tires and Carrera S getting Pirellis. It seems a random process in the end.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:45 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,115 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
great build! Very valid assessment too! Though I went with the CF roof (aesthetics). I think it matches the gray accents vs. a little better than the glass roof but who knows as I haven’t seen one in real life yet.
I’m not sure what the weight is of the sunroof vs Carbon vs standard, but I honestly don’t think it’s an issue. I like the premise of making a car lighter but it’s not the same as it was in the old days when every pound counted. With 380 HP power to weight ratio is negligible. Hell I added the rear seats back in because of the complaints I read about road noise being an issue on long drives. I’m not sure if the excess road noise is from lack of sound deadening or lightweight glass. This is my first new Porsche and if I don’t like it, bye bye it goes.

Last edited by Cartod; 02-18-2023 at 02:48 PM.
A Nonce (02-18-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club