Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 08:40 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Locking wheels at $60 didnt seem like a bad idea. I live in suburbs so feel like someone will steal my wheels lol. Porsche are not common here.
Locking wheel nuts are not a significant deterrent for wheel thieves - it's not hard for those guys to get past/around them. Locking nuts are more likely to cause you trouble when their "key" goes missing (such as when the tire shop forgets to put it back in your glovebox, scratches your rims, and then the rim repair shop can't get your wheels off, or if you leave it at home and you get a flat 90 min from home and then roadside assistance can't get your wheel w/the flat tire off). Just my experience.
The following users liked this post:
IPA1 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 08:48 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by toph4242
I think Porsche made a pretty big effort to try and point out the reduced insulation as a way to make this car "louder" inside... here is the press release that points out reduced insulation: And watch this video of the Porsche Engineer talk about the insulation reduction as a way to enhance the acoustics in the car (58 second mark)... its in German but there are subtitles. all part of the official press release though...
I'm aware of the reduced sound insulation in the T (and happy about it) but you're tying two separate things together here - there's the rear seat delete and then there's the reduced sound deadening - nowhere does it say those two items are linked.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:51 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,288 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Do we know what spec is used to measure weight? Is it a zero option T?

Is the lightest possible weight T a car with only buckets, carbon roof, and titanium wheel bolts? We don't really know what that car would weight though?
Yes, I take that chart as the difference between a base Carrera without options and and a Carrera-T without options.

What makes thing confusing is that there are differences between the specified DIN weights and the US curb weight. The most noteable difference is the weight of the PDK, where the DIN weights says it's 77lb more (35kg) and US curb weight says it's 84lb more.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:19 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
My guess is that Porsche did not bother redoing the weight certification for the -T and simply certified it as a variant of the base 992 for the official weight spec. I however found the below weight waterfall chart to be interesting. If you consider the 7MT-PDK difference at 77lb, it means the other +/- translate to ~23lb. Assuming 28lb for the battery, 9lb for the lightweight glass and ~40lb for the rear seat (and seatbelt) delete, there is ~54lb of added weight from the larger wheels, LSD, S-PASM and PSE.
In the past, I've wondered (for fun) exactly what accounts for the 44 lb difference between a Carrera S w/MT and a Carrera T w/MT (3298 vs 3254 lbs for US cars). I've heard similar estimates as yours - maybe 25 lbs for the battery and 8 lbs for the glass and who knows for the rear seat delete, but it sure has to be more than 11 lbs [for taking out the rear seats]! To me, even w/o knowing the actual weight of the T's lighter equipment and its subtractions* it just doesn't add up.

*Not sure how many lbs the reduced sound insulation of the T subtracts (vs the S) but it's not much - supposedly it's about 3.5 lbs of sound insulation removed in a "base" GTS and roughly another 4.5 lbs if you get the Lightweight Pkg on a GTS but I have no idea if the T emulates the reduced sound insulation level of a "base" GTS or that of a GTS w/its Lightweight Pkg (or neither).
Old 02-13-2023, 09:53 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by bobert75
In the past, I've wondered (for fun) exactly what accounts for the 44 lb difference between a Carrera S w/MT and a Carrera T w/MT (3298 vs 3254 lbs for US cars). I've heard similar estimates as yours - maybe 25 lbs for the battery and 8 lbs for the glass and who knows for the rear seat delete, but it sure has to be more than 11 lbs [for taking out the rear seats]! To me, even w/o knowing the actual weight of the T's lighter equipment and its subtractions* it just doesn't add up.

*Not sure how many lbs the reduced sound insulation of the T subtracts (vs the S) but it's not much - supposedly it's about 3.5 lbs of sound insulation removed in a "base" GTS and roughly another 4.5 lbs if you get the Lightweight Pkg on a GTS but I have no idea if the T emulates the reduced sound insulation level of a "base" GTS or that of a GTS w/its Lightweight Pkg (or neither).
With the S and T, there's also the difference in brakes. I bet that is a major weight saving for the T. It's also unsprung and rotational weight.
tourenwagen (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:02 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by Ikone
With the S and T, there's also the difference in brakes. I bet that is a major weight saving for the T. It's also unsprung and rotational weight.
Good point - I forgot about the brakes there. That makes it even more of a mystery as to how we can account for the T vs S weight difference!
Old 02-13-2023, 10:05 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Good point - I forgot about the brakes there. That makes it even more of a mystery as to how we can account for the T vs S weight difference!
It's a mystery for sure. Probably a lot of Porsche marketing fuzzy logic as well.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:10 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 869 Posts

I'm aware of the reduced sound insulation in the T (and happy about it) but you're tying two separate things together here - there's the rear seat delete and then there's the reduced sound deadening - nowhere does it say those two items are linked.
In my head im just thinking, the seats are a few inches thick of Plastic/Leather/Fabric/Cushioning material... whatever they are made of and sit directly on top of and in between you and the engine, so I figure they do something to prevent a little bit of sound echoing inside the cabin... But yes, Who the heck knows what the actual difference is... I guess I just like to think that a stripped down interior will be/sound better.
2020Spyder (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:11 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Maybe it would make a difference IF you were a f/t driver in IMSA/WEC series, otherwise why obsess over such things? Not being a *****, just a realist. In the grand scheme of things hp/weight ratios aren't really going to matter to us mere mortals.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scott P:
2020Spyder (02-13-2023), HerrDr (02-13-2023), toph4242 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott P
Maybe it would make a difference IF you were a f/t driver in IMSA/WEC series, otherwise why obsess over such things? Not being a *****, just a realist. In the grand scheme of things hp/weight ratios aren't really going to matter to us mere mortals.
I know you didn't respond to me, but I 'kind of' started that discussion (in recent posts) so will weigh in. The only reason I did bring it up is because it doesn't matter much to me but I keep hearing everyone talking about the T being lightweight. The weight difference is not large enough to matter to me. However, it seems that everyone calls this the lightweight 911 and folks are constantly pointing out how much something weighs (back seats, sound dampening, lightweight glass, etc.).

Now...having said that, I think even if you aren't tracking the car, at some point you will definitely notice a difference. Just like having an extra person in the car. I know that's much more weight, but just saying.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by toph4242
Heavily debated... I spent a lot of time in the configurator playing with options and talking to Porsche about certain options: REALLY LONG STORY semi-SHORTENED:
-Configurator shows the sport exhaust as standard, which it is (If you zoom in on the interior toggle switches in the center of the dash below the PCM, the two toggle switches on the left side show as triangles... These are the "custom" buttons that you can program to be whatever you want...
-On every other 911 with sport exhaust, the second button from the left has the image of exhaust tips on it and allows you to turn sport exhaust on and off in any drive mode (Normal, sport, sport +) by just pushing that button
-In the T, that exhaust button does not show on the config...
-If you option the $430 Exclusive tailpipes, the configurator now shows the second button as the exhaust tip image...

You can still program the custom buttons to be exhaust, but they wont have the image on the button. THIS was something that a Porsche NA rep confirmed to be true... Many press cars and others feel that this is a configurator issue and not actually the case.
TIME WILL TELL who was right. WE dont have an answer, but many of us are opting for the exclusive tailpipes to ensure we get the button with the exhaust tip image on it.
Either way, car has the sport exhaust... unclear if you get the designated button without selecting the $430 optional exclusive pipes
On the 991.2T that button was standard but I rarely if ever pushed it since sport exhaust automatically turned on when I put it into Sport mode on the steering wheel ****. It's all customizable and I would venture to say that the 992 is no different.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:28 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott P
I knew someone would have this reaction. No one is stressing over it - I literally said "for fun" (just being nerdy about the numbers - doing "accounting"). I am in no way obsessing over the weight of my T in the slightest - FFS, I added the rear seats back (and my kids are grown).
Old 02-13-2023, 10:33 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I knew someone would have this reaction. No one is stressing over it - I literally said "for fun" (just being nerdy about the numbers - doing "accounting"). I am in no way obsessing over the weight of my T in the slightest - FFS, I added the rear seats back (and my kids are grown).
I put two cinder blocks in the trunk to lessen understeer.
HerrDr (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:37 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,288 Likes on 603 Posts

In the TT-S press release, it is said the lithium-ion battery, weighing 28lb, saves 32lb vs the 60lb lead-acid one.

The lightweight glass is quoted at 4kg (8lb on the US site), so 8~9 lb.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-13-2023 at 10:38 PM.
bobert75 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:37 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

He's just saying to not worry about it and just spec it to enjoy it how you think you'll enjoy it. Don't stress the pounds :-)
Scott P (02-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club