Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 11:45 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldwu
I have no skin in the game with a 992T in particular - but man, analysis paralysis sucks. I almost prefer it when manufacturers neatly put options in packages or trims and limit the number of things to be chosen from - but of course, that comes with less customization. It's tough! (and agreed - a first world problem)
There were WAY fewer options with the 991.2 T. I’d much rather have it the way it is with the 992 T. It is refreshing that we’re not so confined this time around.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeneTakovic:
HerrDr (12-19-2022), Porsch (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:47 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Originally Posted by 6sigma
If you got a new 992 T with RAS and had RAS secretly disconnected, would you know?
All but the most novice of us would immediately know.
The following users liked this post:
Macboy (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 03:16 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

First of all I want to make it very clear that my current 992 4S has RAS. That suits that car perfectly. So I am NOT against RAS in general if people think that. But I definitely do no want it in my 992 T. But before somebody thinks I am a basher or something wanted to mention that.

Secondly I would like to say that RAS or no RAS should not be such a problem to decide. Every Porsche dealer should easily have a 992 S with RAS and without it. Here it’s very easy to get a testdrive and try them out. You only need about 15 minutes to feel it and test it. Make sure you try it out around 40-60 speeds as well as higher speed corners. Just drive straight and turn your wheel from left to right and you will like it or hate it. If you don’t feel much difference safe yourself the money and extra weight.

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars
I'm really torn on the RAS. I've been reading and reading and reading about it. I really am leaning against RAS on my build because I don't want any weirdness in the feel of this car. I prefer old school analog feel and am used to cars with unsophisticated rear suspensions/diffs. My worry though is that if I skip RAS, when I ultimately go to sell the car it will be viewed as a conspicuous omission and hurt its value.
To me it is very clear in your case. You want the most analog feel? Then do not go for RAS. You want the most purist car? Then do not go for RAS. You want to buy the car for the next buyer? If he is a purist like most T drivers do not go for RAS. You want to have the best oversteer feeling or like a BMW? Then do not go for RAS. You want your T to be lighter? Then do not go for RAS. You drive mostly roads with lower speed corners? Do not go for RAS. You drive more high speed roads and straight high speed? You could go for RAS. You want your car to feel most planted? Go for RAS. You want your car to feel like on rails? Go for RAS. You want your car to feel closer to a GT3 for track? Go for RAS. You want a car feeling more like a 718? Go for RAS. You want your car mostly for parking and turning roads? Go for RAS.

This is how I feel about it. It remains a personal opinion. It’s just about how you drive your car or want your car to drive. I think both options make for a great driving car. Porsche is trully great in this. But they do drive completely different.

My gut says don't get it - don't need it and don't want any additional artificiality or synthetic feel. I want MORE oversteer given this car is relatively over-tired and under-powered.
I think you already answered it. You will really regret it if what you describe here is true. Just test them out. I cannot say that you need to trust me: because I ordered the sunroof on my T.

If you got a new 992 T with RAS and had RAS secretly disconnected, would you know?
Originally Posted by GeneTakovic
All but the most novice of us would immediately know.
I basically knew within 30 seconds of driving. Drove in my 4S with RAS. Sat down in the 992 S without RAS. Then finally drove the 992 S with RAS and within 1 mile knew this was bad.

PS I know a lot of people advocate for the RAS and also a lot of car journalists do as well so I wanted to give a bit of a different sound based on my real and long driving experience with a small tongue in cheek here and there.

Last edited by Macboy; 12-19-2022 at 03:53 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Macboy:
22992 (12-19-2022), 3RsInCarrera (12-19-2022), 6sigma (12-19-2022), 737gdog (12-19-2022), Bearrun21 (12-24-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-19-2022), FloraFauna (12-19-2022), GeneTakovic (12-19-2022), reddysum (12-19-2022), RichJ_cars (12-19-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2022, 05:44 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 138 Posts

I’m so confused I’m thinking of getting no options at all. Would it be the lightest T I wonder?
The following 3 users liked this post by JOSCAL:
Ethos_of_the_T (12-19-2022), HerrDr (12-19-2022), Macboy (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:36 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JOSCAL
I’m so confused I’m thinking of getting no options at all. Would it be the lightest T I wonder?
To get the lightest without going aftermarket, you’d have to get manual, buckets, forged wheels and the carbon roof. Almost all of the weight difference compared to the base Carrera is the manual vs PDK though.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
Ethos_of_the_T (12-19-2022), HerrDr (12-19-2022), Macboy (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 11:28 AM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Macboy
Every Porsche dealer should easily have a 992 S with RAS and without it. Here it’s very easy to get a testdrive and try them out. You only need about 15 minutes to feel it and test it.
Sadly, despite being in a pretty populous area of the USA, dealers around here don't have any 992's on hand to try out. If they show a 992 on their website, it is merely a customer car that was just delivered and inventoried.

In Germany there are Porsche dealerships owned and run by Porsche directly and I wonder if they would be willing to let me try both when I pass through in February (assuming I don't have an allocation and build locked by then!). I was thinking absolutely no sunroof and absolutely RAS, but now I'm thinking glass sunroof might be nice for more cabin light and RAS might feel too unnatural for me. My last 911 was a 996 and that was perfection--the more analog the better. I am a bit hesitant on the sunroof since my Macan sunroof right now is locked up due to the sunshade being unresponsive
The following 2 users liked this post by HerrDr:
AdamIsAdam (12-19-2022), Macboy (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:14 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDr
I was thinking absolutely no sunroof and absolutely RAS, but now I'm thinking glass sunroof might be nice for more cabin light and RAS might feel too unnatural for me.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm not going to be tracking it more than 1-2x/year just for giggles. Originally my thought was RAS would help with that and that a metal roof would be more rigid now I'm thinking who needs RAS for a daily driver and let the sunshine in! Four interior options for the grand total of $280! (Heated GT wheel)

http://www.porschecode.com/PPHRJ1R7

Last edited by Scott P; 12-19-2022 at 12:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott P:
HerrDr (12-19-2022), Macboy (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:18 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Originally Posted by HerrDr
Sadly, despite being in a pretty populous area of the USA, dealers around here don't have any 992's on hand to try out. If they show a 992 on their website, it is merely a customer car that was just delivered and inventoried.
Same here. None of the dealers have any 992’s in their showrooms, unless it’s for a brief moment before a lucky customer takes delivery. And certainly no 992s available for test drives.
HerrDr (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:21 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm not going to be tracking it more than 1-2x/year just for giggles. Originally my thought was RAS would help with that and that a metal roof would be more rigid now I'm thinking who needs RAS for a daily driver and let the sunshine in! Four interior options for the grand total of $280! (Heated GT wheel)

I like the GT silver painted inlays on this build - that'll brighten up the interior too.
Scott P (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:26 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

@Macboy I appreciate your write up. I'm on the fence about RAS, but the one point you made is probably the one that most accurately describes me: I want my 911 to drive more like my 718. So I think RAS is the right box for me.

As I said previously, I did not like my 996 because of the steering and the very light front end. I know a 992 is 100 years of development away from a 996, but if the RAS helps that spread in a good way, it's probably the right choice for me. And believe me, I would prefer not to spend the $2k and I generally think I like raw and pure driving experiences, however, my CGTS has PTV and rev-match, both of which I really enjoy, much to my surprise. So I'm hoping RAS is in that same camp.

I should also point out that often disable things like lane departure correcting, and reduce the brake pre-sense on my Audi. I hate when the car does stuff FOR me, especially unnecessarily. But RAS, I'm hoping, is not doing anything I'm not telling it do it (ie, turn) it's just taking my commands and following orders, albeit differently than without RAS.

If you think my assumptions are correct, or not, I'm certainly open to comments.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:35 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars
I'm really torn on the RAS. I've been reading and reading and reading about it. For reference, I used to have a a 1992 Honda Prelude Si "4WS" that employed a similar approach. Opposite direction at low speeds and parallel steering at higher speeds. It was a good party trick when our local autocross course designers put in an extra tight 180. On the downside, it rewarded poor driving technique. If the car was pushing in a turn, particularly in the wet, the best approach was to turn in more to make it pivot from the rear! Wrong wrong wrong in any car without 4 wheel steering, but it definitely worked on that car and my times showed it. I've heard similar things about driving a Nissan GT-R.

I really am leaning against RAS on my build because I don't want any weirdness in the feel of this car. I prefer old school analog feel and am used to cars with unsophisticated rear suspensions/diffs. My worry though is that if I skip RAS, when I ultimately go to sell the car it will be viewed as a conspicuous omission and hurt its value. Too bad you can't adjust it in the menus to increase/decrease its effects. Then you could have it both ways. I'd definitely enjoy the low speed turning radius benefit but I'd rather have it off in higher speed driving.
Regarding RAS, for me it was worth every dollar and I appreciate it in my daily driving for two reasons:

1. Maneuvering the car at slow speed is much easier, especially when faced with narrow space conditions.

2. Forget about track benefits, the RAS also provides increased stability/maneuverability at highway speeds by effectively lengthening wheelbase during sudden avoidance maneuvers.

If you do track the car, well, it’s standard on the GT3 so it must add value there too.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:43 PM
dassArse
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution1
I visited my dealership last Saturday asked about allocations for the T he said he will have one in January which I was surprised.

I just recently received my my 911cab in September I have 400 miles on the car I’m having a hard time convincing my self to trade it after waiting for such a long time.

just wondering if the T is a limited run, also if it will be available as 992.2 car.
congrats. dealership location check?
Old 12-19-2022, 01:01 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Regarding RAS, for me it was worth every dollar and I appreciate it in my daily driving for two reasons:

1. Maneuvering the car at slow speed is much easier, especially when faced with narrow space conditions.

2. Forget about track benefits, the RAS also provides increased stability/maneuverability at highway speeds by effectively lengthening wheelbase during sudden avoidance maneuvers.

If you do track the car, well, it’s standard on the GT3 so it must add value there too.
Agree. RAS is standard on the GT3 and not available on the base Carrera. If it is about saving $$ or putting $$ into other options, I can see making that sort of trade off. But to not option RAS because you want the car to be more of a handful? On a car that comes standard with PASM that will be working the whole time? And traction control and ABS? You could always put some cheap narrow rear tires (or snow tires!) on it to make it more tail happy even with RAS.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:02 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P

Same! I'll aim to track it a couple of times a year, but I feel I'll reward myself with something like RAS only after I've gotten plenty of experience without it. I'm aiming for enjoyment and not for competition and I know I won't notice the high-up weight of the sunroof day-to-day.
Scott P (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:01 PM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

I have been racking my brain about RAS for the last one month. I have read every thread on Rennlist mentioning it. Watched YouTube videos and read all of the available content regarding the T and thought I came to a decision and added it to my build a couple of weeks ago. But now I am reconsidering. Macboy and others on the “Rear axle steering real world experience?” thread have made good points against it.

1. More old school/direct feel (less artificial)
2. Less weight
3. Less maintenance and potential issues down the road. Especially with alignment.
4. Higher PSI for the tires potentially having a negative effect on ride quality.

I realize I may give up a few tenths of a second around a track but don’t plan on tracking much and think the S, GTS and GT3 will be faster still. I don’t need the assist at low speeds and parking. High speed stability sure but we are still talking about a 911 here.

I want to believe Porsche made it optional to preserve as much of the old school feel as possible with all the additional handling upgrades, lightweighting and manual not available on the base. In my opinion, make it even more desirable in the future where they may make it standard on all variants. This is my current “T” ethos. Thoughts?

Currently have a 1987 911 Carrera and enjoy the analog feel.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club