992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 10:13 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
The weight reduction won’t noticeably change the way the car drives and feels, and in my view is really a red herring with the T. The real benefit over the base is PTV and PASM, which otherwise can’t be combined with RWD and the base engine. With the base Carrera, you’re getting a great car, but one with slightly compromised dynamics compared to an S or GTS. The T’s only compromise is slightly less power, which for me makes it better for driving on normal roads.
Yeah the rear seat delete is really just a novelty thing IMO just because you 'can' get it deleted from the factory. The car won't perform any differently with or without. Same as the side stickers. But they all are part of the T package...did I see something about ethos?
The following 2 users liked this post by arrivederci:
bluelines1974 (12-17-2022), Gibberish (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 10:42 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by arrivederci
Yeah the rear seat delete is really just a novelty thing IMO just because you 'can' get it deleted from the factory. The car won't perform any differently with or without. Same as the side stickers. But they all are part of the T package...did I see something about ethos?
Agree. There is probably more weight lost from losing the rear seatbelt mechanisms, pre-tensioners, and rear airbags than the actual seats themselves. I bet the missing rear seats improve engine sound more than they improve performance from weight loss. But still, it is cool and if you don't need them I'd keep them deleted. If you do have a use for them then I see no harm in adding them back in. It is good to have the option either way.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6sigma:
arrivederci (12-17-2022), Gibberish (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 10:43 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

I'll say it again-if I'm gonna be concerned about weight then I'll start with myself and add some HPDE days at the Glen with the Niagara Region PCA Instructors.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:04 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

The real benefit over the base is PTV and PASM, which otherwise can’t be combined with RWD and the base engine. With the base Carrera, you’re getting a great car, but one with slightly compromised dynamics compared to an S or GTS. The T’s only compromise is slightly less power, which for me makes it better for driving on normal roads.
Agree. Not to mention 6MT.

The following users liked this post:
Porsch (12-19-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:10 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

I’m always looking for ways to reduce weight, as I’m sure many of us are. But there is a cost/benefit assessment to each decision. So I will keep back seats and add RAS because the benefits of each (for me) outweigh the relatively small costs in weight. The key part is “for me” — there are no wrong decisions, just (often passionate) personal preferences.
The following 5 users liked this post by FORENN:
bluelines1974 (12-17-2022), Ethos_of_the_T (12-17-2022), Macboy (12-19-2022), Scott P (12-17-2022), Spartakos (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:51 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,668 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by time_sink
Youre right. I definitely don't NEED it, but having driven 991s with and without, I want RAS more than the comforts I'm giving up 😀 And you are absolutely correct that I probably will barely utilize the potential of this car, but buying a 911 isn't really a rational choice for me to begin with. If I'm going to bite the bullet and embrace the insanity, I want the best driving car I can get for my money. I'll let you know how it turns out 😅
That is a very good argument, @time_sink
If you drove one with RAS and you want it based on the experience, then it’s no-brained… in fact I am getting an ‘order envy’, do tell us how it goes.
time_sink (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 12:38 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 231 Posts

That's an excellent question and one I wrestled with for a long time. I gave up a V200 on a nicely specced base with Jan delivery for the as yet unallocated T. The 120k base I ordered had all the features I'm skimping on with the T, along with an upgrade to the 20/21 Carrera Classic wheels.

Ultimately, I'm betting that SPASM, PTV, and RAS will enhance the driving experience enough that I won't miss the comforts I'm giving up. When I had my 2013 c2 I also drove a 2013 c2s with RAS, SPASM, and PDCC. Totally different animal and I would have gladly traded my sunroof, power seats, and Bose system for the improvements to the driving experience. I know the difference is less pronounced on the 992 generation, but ultimately I'd rather spend the money on things that enhance the way the thing drives and handles than on luxuries I can get cheaply on other cars. This thing is for preserving my inner child, not for coddling my aging body
Are you sure you’ve driven with RAS? It was not available on the 991.1 Carreras.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:39 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 172 Posts

RAS is must imo
Old 12-17-2022, 02:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,023 Likes on 5,239 Posts

RE rear seat delete

Does anyone know (maybe from the 991 T generation), if having four seats (versus 2 seats) affects the insurance rates?

It's oft said that 911's have a "back seat" b/c of cheaper insurance rates.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:52 PM
time_sink
AutoX

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure you’ve driven with RAS? It was not available on the 991.1 Carreras.
Yeah there's conflicting info floating around RL on when RAS was introduced. I can tell you the 2013 C2S (991.1) car I drove definitely had it, but it is now sold so I can't point you at the ad. It was being sold by Shift for 85k at the time with 20k miles on the odo. I'm certain it had RAS because I had a hard time adjusting to the oversteer compared to my base and there was a distinct sensation of the rear end rotating around me on the bends. I even drove the car back to back with a 2014 Boxster and it felt more nimble to me (the adaptive suspension helped too). And since Shift allowed hour-long solo test drives back then, I was actually able to take it up into the mountains here in the bay area and chase it's limits. Said limits were ridiculously high compared to my base.

Crazy story but while I was out on my test drive in the 991.1 with RAS, a dump truck in front of me dropped a bunch of lumber on the freeway right in my path. If I hadn't had RAS I'm not certain I would have managed to avoid damaging the front of the car.

​​​​​At the time I told myself I'd be willing to spend an extra 20k on all the performance goodies. Now the 2023 T gives me the option of spending the same amount of money and trading some comforts for much better dynamics.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:01 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Yeah there's conflicting info floating around RL on when RAS was introduced. I can tell you the 2013 C2S (991.1) car I drove definitely had it, but it is now sold so I can't point you at the ad. It was being sold by Shift for 85k at the time with 20k miles on the odo. I'm certain it had RAS because I had a hard time adjusting to the oversteer compared to my base and there was a distinct sensation of the rear end rotating around me on the bends. I even drove the car back to back with a 2014 Boxster and it felt more nimble to me (the adaptive suspension helped too). And since Shift allowed hour-long solo test drives back then, I was actually able to take it up into the mountains here in the bay area and chase it's limits. Said limits were ridiculously high compared to my base.

Crazy story but while I was out on my test drive in the 991.1 with RAS, a dump truck in front of me dropped a bunch of lumber on the freeway right in my path. If I hadn't had RAS I'm not certain I would have managed to avoid damaging the front of the car.

​​​​​At the time I told myself I'd be willing to spend an extra 20k on all the performance goodies. Now the 2023 T gives me the option of spending the same amount of money and trading some comforts for much better dynamics.
Very interesting, do you recall how does RAS work?

When I drove my boss’s Mazda 929 circa 1995, it had 4-wheel steering, where at low speed, below 50km/h if I recall, the rear wheels would turn in the opposite direction to the front ones, reducing turning circle. Above 50km/h the rear wheels would turn in the same direction as front, but at fraction of the angle, increasing high speed stability.

How does 911 RAS work?
Old 12-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pivot
Very interesting, do you recall how does RAS work?

When I drove my boss’s Mazda 929 circa 1995, it had 4-wheel steering, where at low speed, below 50km/h if I recall, the rear wheels would turn in the opposite direction to the front ones, reducing turning circle. Above 50km/h the rear wheels would turn in the same direction as front, but at fraction of the angle, increasing high speed stability.

How does 911 RAS work?

Note to self… I found a good reference: https://www.total911.com/technology-...axle-steering/

Similar to Mazda 929, but activated at diff speeds
Old 12-17-2022, 04:25 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
RE rear seat delete

Does anyone know (maybe from the 991 T generation), if having four seats (versus 2 seats) affects the insurance rates?

It's oft said that 911's have a "back seat" b/c of cheaper insurance rates.
Absolutely no difference with or without via USAA.

#nobackseats

arrivederci (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:39 PM
time_sink
AutoX

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivot
Note to self… I found a good reference: https://www.total911.com/technology-...axle-steering/

Similar to Mazda 929, but activated at diff speeds
From someone with more seat time than me:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9787...-steering.html
Old 12-17-2022, 06:01 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 231 Posts

Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgable, but I'm certain that the only 991.1 model that got RAS were the Turbo and GT3. This Porsche video that was part of the launch of the 991.2 seems to support this:

I think the higher limits you're referring to may have been because of PDCC.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club