Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 10:42 AM
ManualT
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Per your comments about AWD and 993 and traction control/ breaking the rear loose, what is your opinion of rear wheel steer? I’ve driven with and without it. It’s fun and a performance enhancing option but also different than one without it. Both cars perform no doubt, driver would be more of a factor. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Cartod
I’ve only driven one Turbo S car and it was fast as hell, All wheel drive and pdk of course.
The T feels much lighter, rear wheel drive and a manual along with the limited sound deadening feels like a stallion when you take it out of the barn. For me I love the feel of the T’s suspension, it’s tight but doesnt beat you like a GT3, especially in normal mode. Like has been said it’s a race car for the streets. Giddy up.

I would not own a sports car with all wheel drive. Breaking the rear loose every now and then is good for your health. The traction control on the T allows you to break it loose without going too far. You can always take off the traction and drive it like an old air cooled 911. The T reminds me a lot of my old 993 but a lot more of everything. Including safety.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:32 AM
FlaGolferStAug
4th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueblazer
Anybody notice a whistling or wind noise when going 120+ MPH in the Carrera T? I thought there was an issue but I’m assuming it’s because of the lack of sound deadening glass?
There is lots of wind noise over 100mph. I think it is a combination of the glass and the aero. A friend of mine installed the small deflectors in his GT3 and it helps a little but at higher speeds you'll still get a lot of wind noise.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

The AWE defectors definitely help when running at high speed but what air does get in the cabin with the windows down (required at HPDE) swirls around my helmet and it's pretty loud. Fun, but loud.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:55 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,050 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by anjizkit
but am curious to know why the 992 T is so highly regarded by you over the others? especially the tourers like the Turbo S
If you go back through this thread, and yes I realize it is very long, you will find many posts that speak to your question. And to be clear, it is not just I who feels this way -- far from it -- but many 992 T owners who are longtime enthusiasts and have owned many different pcars. @Wilder comes to mind as an example, as he has contributed some of the best posts on the topic. @arrivederci is another. And many others. But, in short, I will tell you this car, while not perfect (no car is), provides one of my favorite road-driving experience of newer pcars, in that it reminds me of older, more analog Porsches, while also providing performance improvements one expects from current sportscar technology. The manual gearbox has improved considerably, and feels great with the short shifter. The sound inside and outside the car is excellent, which impacts the senses. Steering has been noticeably sharpened. The handling is precise, but not overly clinical (I skipped RAS, which for me was important). The car has plenty of power for the road, but not so much it's pointless. The acceleration is linear with no turbo lag, consistent with NA 911's of old. The car is bigger than older cars, but does not drive like it's bigger. And I'm very much enjoying and appreciating the 992's updated interior. It's just feels like the right combination of several important factors.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
2020Spyder (06-03-2024), Cartod (06-03-2024), Wilder (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 12:02 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

but am curious to know why the 992 T is so highly regarded by you over the others? especially the tourers like the Turbo S
P.S. Sorry, I forgot to respond to the last part of your question. My 991.2 Turbo S was the only PDK car I ever owned. The car felt heavy, had way too much power for road driving and, frankly, I'm just a 3-pedal guy. Looking back, I'm not sure why I bought that one, as it's just not a me car. I did not keep it long.
The following users liked this post:
Cartod (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,202 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by ManualT
Per your comments about AWD and 993 and traction control/ breaking the rear loose, what is your opinion of rear wheel steer? I’ve driven with and without it. It’s fun and a performance enhancing option but also different than one without it. Both cars perform no doubt, driver would be more of a factor. Thoughts?
I have rear axle steer on wifes Cayenne. It’s nice but it’s not for me on a 911. If I was tracking it I might add. I just ordered my second T and it will not have RAS. YMMV.

Last edited by Cartod; 06-03-2024 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ManualT (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 05:40 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a quick question. I have finally gotten enough miles on my car to take it to redline and I have noticed that the turbo boost gauge reads 13psi during spirited driving. I had read somewhere that the base engine is limited to 12psi, I imagine mine is probably reading high, but I wanted to ask what others are seeing for boost on their T's.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:02 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,202 Likes on 724 Posts

I come from the air-cooled 3.2 g body and the 992 is nicer to drive for sure. it's refreshing with the light clutch and amazing amenities!

the 3.2 has a lot of drama and driving the told car was a "special event" it drained my emotionally and physically after 5 hrs of a drive tour.

I had to laugh reading that. I came from air cooled, and understand. After I got my 992.1 T I got spoiled. I hated to do it but I sold both of my air cooled, I just didnt drive them anymore and couldn’t justify keeping. I still kind of miss the smell of burnt oil and leather.
The really cool thing about my T (besides the A/C always working) is that it’s twice as big as my old cars and weighs the same. Aluminum was a game changer.

They were fun but now I’m done, Godspeed ladies. The T is my new “air cooled” Porsche.

Last edited by Cartod; 06-03-2024 at 09:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cartod:
ClubRacer523 (06-04-2024), KWPA (06-04-2024), Oileater (06-09-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 08:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

I come from the air-cooled 3.2 g body and the 992 is nicer to drive for sure. it's refreshing with the light clutch and amazing amenities!

the 3.2 has a lot of drama and driving the told car was a "special event" it drained my emotionally and physically after 5 hrs of a drive tour.

I'm in Europe right now. The first leg of my trip, I put 1,300 miles on a 3.2 driving in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, and Italy. I drove Munich to Lake Como with 9 other aircooled 911s through the alps at full throttle. A trip I'll never forget and one that unexpectedly reignited my passion for aircooled Porsches in a way I didn't anticipate.

To answer your question, one must have context. Everyone has different needs and wants and points of reference. Speaking for myself and also in very general terms, the reason I personally have no interest in any other Carrera is because the T is the one that feels the most like the torch bearer of the lineage. If you've been around Porsches for a while and driven a few generations, you'll know that they're all different but you can feel the evolution and the connection that ties them together from one generation to the next. The transition to water was big, not so much because of the cooling tech but because cars became bigger and more capable. I presume to stay competitive, Porsche has pursued power to the point where the GTS now has 530hp and laps the ring faster than a CGT. In my view, the 911 has lost its way. 911s have never been about power but about nimbleness and fun. Your 3.2 is a go kart for the road. It's fun even at 30 mph. And while the GTS is more Turbo than Carrera, and the S and base are more GT cruisers than sports cars, a properly spec'd T with the sum of its parts, most closely resembles that go kart feel and has fun factor even at lower speeds. It is bigger and more refined and makes for a great daily but it still has a little of the old school spirit. It might be different for others, but this is why the T was the one for me.
The following 7 users liked this post by Wilder:
2020Spyder (06-04-2024), CamsPorsche (06-03-2024), Cartod (06-03-2024), MC500 (06-04-2024), Ripper T (06-04-2024), russdc (06-03-2024), Scott P (06-04-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:19 PM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
I'm in Europe right now. The first leg of my trip, I put 1,300 miles on a 3.2 driving in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, and Italy. I drove Munich to Lake Como with 9 other aircooled 911s through the alps at full throttle. A trip I'll never forget and one that unexpectedly reignited my passion for aircooled Porsches in a way I didn't anticipate.

To answer your question, one must have context. Everyone has different needs and wants and points of reference. Speaking for myself and also in very general terms, the reason I personally have no interest in any other Carrera is because the T is the one that feels the most like the torch bearer of the lineage. If you've been around Porsches for a while and driven a few generations, you'll know that they're all different but you can feel the evolution and the connection that ties them together from one generation to the next. The transition to water was big, not so much because of the cooling tech but because cars became bigger and more capable. I presume to stay competitive, Porsche has pursued power to the point where the GTS now has 530hp and laps the ring faster than a CGT. In my view, the 911 has lost its way. 911s have never been about power but about nimbleness and fun. Your 3.2 is a go kart for the road. It's fun even at 30 mph. And while the GTS is more Turbo than Carrera, and the S and base are more GT cruisers than sports cars, a properly spec'd T with the sum of its parts, most closely resembles that go kart feel and has fun factor even at lower speeds. It is bigger and more refined and makes for a great daily but it still has a little of the old school spirit. It might be different for others, but this is why the T was the one for me.
Well said...
The following 2 users liked this post by russdc:
2020Spyder (06-04-2024), Scott P (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:55 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
I had to laugh reading that. I came from air cooled, and understand. After I got my 992.1 T I got spoiled. I hated to do it but I sold both of my air cooled, I just didnt drive them anymore and couldn’t justify keeping. I still kind of miss the smell of burnt oil and leather.
The really cool thing about my T (besides the A/C always working) is that it’s twice as big as my old cars and weighs the same. Aluminum was a game changer.

They were fun but now I’m done, Godspeed ladies. The T is my new “air cooled” Porsche.

STUNNING!!!!!! Love them
Old 06-04-2024, 11:18 AM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 621 Likes on 368 Posts

Feeling the same…I cannot speak much to the advancement over time and to a point of losing its way but I can say coming up through the BMW progression to it’s current offering has left me feeling the same, ie very fast but very sterile. Add to that the design that seemed to be better suited for the Chinese market, of larger is nicer, it even made things less palatable for me. Thus how lucky am I, stepping into the Porsche world just before hybrids come and larger becomes the norm, again seemly like a nod to the Chinese market place, with my purchase of a new 992.1 T, built by allocation to the way I wanted! A light weight driver focus driver that comes in at ~100 lbs less and sticks to the road like on rails with enough power to have a lot of fun with. It’s a pity they have lost their way too, our options shrink after that making me think this could very well be my first, last and only Porsche, never to leave me!

Last edited by Shortseller; 06-04-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:47 PM
Ripper T
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 40 Posts

Very well said! It's the many posts like this one, from both yourself and other established Rennlist members, that helped me in my journey to choosing between a GTS and a T, of which I had allocations for either, and ultimately helped me bespoke spec my Carrera T.

My questions to you is; what is the proper spec for a Carrera T that you refer to in your post? I see some T's spec'd with glass roofs, PDK gearboxes, 18-way seats, and deviated stitching everywhere, which would suggest a more grand touring set up. I see other T's spec'd with slick tops, 7MT, carbon buckets, RAS, and nothing else, suggesting a basic road racer set up. Then my T is spec'd with a bit of both worlds with a slick top, sport design, 7MT, 4-ways, RAS and a highly upgraded interior. And while there's no right or wrong option here, we hear a lot about the "proper spec" and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

Last edited by Ripper T; 06-04-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:50 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Porsche has pursued power to the point where the GTS now has 530hp and laps the ring faster than a CGT. In my view, the 911 has lost its way. 911s have never been about power but about nimbleness and fun. Your 3.2 is a go kart for the road. It's fun even at 30 mph. And while the GTS is more Turbo than Carrera, and the S and base are more GT cruisers than sports cars, a properly spec'd T with the sum of its parts, most closely resembles that go kart feel and has fun factor even at lower speeds.
As usual, nailed it.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:06 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 87 Posts

Re: "proper spec", of course, it's all up to you, but in the "spirit" of a Carrera T, it seems that simple/light/no frills builds would fit in with the theme of the car. That's what attracted me to a T, so I want to stay consistent and not add glass roof, etc. (although, I did spec Aerokit, so there's my "un-proper" choice).

There is a T at a San Diego dealer that has an "odd" build, IMO.

Puddle lights
Exclusive design gas cap
Front axle lift
RAS
Extended tank

I only say "odd" in that it seems contrary to what an "enthusiast" build would include. But, to each their own. Or... was this build done by a sales person just checking random boxes?

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club