Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 11:27 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba
@Five12Free you still have not answered my simple and direct question. If a T is not sufficient to play dual duty as a street and track car, what trim level is, in your opinion? I go to HPDEs with my GT350 monthly and drive it hard. Is a 992 S sufficient? A 992 GTS? Or does it have to be a GT car (in which case I would have to pivot to a 718 GT4)? Serious question.
Originally Posted by Five12Free
992 T or S can make a fine track car for DEs. Just going to take some work. But what you will find is, you will end up changing most of the brake components and suspension components in the quest for better lap times. For example. Just the front suspension alone will be limited in camber adjustments. Leading you to lower control arms, shims, thrust arms, etc. the rear is more of the same. I would tell you to make sure you are aware of those limitations. I chose to buy a GT4 for those reasons instead of converting my 911 to encompass a lot of those parts.

You can pretty much source all the same Motorsports parts from tarett, rss or e motion and make your car a turbo GT3. I know of a local gentleman that threw the kitchen sink at his T and ended up spending $30k on AP brakes and E Motion suspension.
I use a 992 S as a DD and weekend track toy. The car has PDCC so no need for large camber requiring suspension modifications for track use. Current camber is -1.1 Front, and -2.1 Rear gives even tire temps and wear. I also use track wheels in 19/20” using Goodyear SC3s. Brakes pads are Ferodo DS3.14 which work well. Stock rotors lasted 9 track days before cracks started getting large on the front rotors then swapped out to girodisc. So far so good, but will be running the super sticky SC3Rs with the cooler weather and this may challenge the brake system. Acceleration is on par with a GT3, a bit less at lower speeds but dead even at higher speeds. I thought about adding a tune some day after the warrantee expires, but heat soak is a major issue at higher ambient temps even with a stock tune so would expect limited benefits except at cool conditions.
The following users liked this post:
Multimodal (10-30-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 11:03 AM
renn.tp
Racer

Received 595 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RRich
I use a 992 S as a DD and weekend track toy. The car has PDCC so no need for large camber requiring suspension modifications for track use. Current camber is -1.1 Front, and -2.1 Rear gives even tire temps and wear. I also use track wheels in 19/20” using Goodyear SC3s. Brakes pads are Ferodo DS3.14 which work well. Stock rotors lasted 9 track days before cracks started getting large on the front rotors then swapped out to girodisc. So far so good, but will be running the super sticky SC3Rs with the cooler weather and this may challenge the brake system. Acceleration is on par with a GT3, a bit less at lower speeds but dead even at higher speeds. I thought about adding a tune some day after the warrantee expires, but heat soak is a major issue at higher ambient temps even with a stock tune so would expect limited benefits except at cool conditions.
I’m disappointed to hear about this. Would have figured Porsche’s thermal management is up to the task of track use without material heat soak issues.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:02 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

OK fellow T enthusiasts, I need your help. I'm REALLY struggling with selecting a color for my car. Since the T is unique in that it comes with Agate Gray accents (decals, which I want to keep, mirrors, trim, and rims which I like), then which colors look best/worst with the gray, Guards Red, White, or Python Green? I'll add this about me as I ask for help:
- I LOVE when a car stands out and is a bit special. My Shark Blue CGTS gets SO much positive attention, it's really enjoyable.
- I've ALWAYS loved and wanted a Guards Red 911
- I love white cars and if I did white, I would add an over the top PORSCHE agate gray stripe.
- The Python is really cool, less common, and comes with a matching interior scheme, which I would get. And it's the flagship color for this car based on Porsche's marketing and website. That's kinda cool. But will it be very hard to sell, which is a real factor for me since I'm not sure I would keep both my Cayman and 911 forever - I could see in a year or two trading a Porsche for another muscle car.

So, Red, White or Green? GO!

Old 10-31-2022, 01:06 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
OK fellow T enthusiasts, I need your help. I'm REALLY struggling with selecting a color for my car. Since the T is unique in that it comes with Agate Gray accents (decals, which I want to keep, mirrors, trim, and rims which I like), then which colors look best/worst with the gray, Guards Red, White, or Python Green? I'll add this about me as I ask for help:
- I LOVE when a car stands out and is a bit special. My Shark Blue CGTS gets SO much positive attention, it's really enjoyable.
- I love white cars and if I did white, I would add an over the top PORSCHE agate gray stripe.
- The Python is really cool, less common, and comes with a matching interior scheme, which I would get. And it's the flagship color for this car based on Porsche's marketing and website. That's kinda cool. But will it be very hard to sell, which is a real factor for me since I'm not sure I would keep both my Cayman and 911 forever - I could see in a year or two trading a Porsche for another muscle car.

Personally, while I think the white looks great, I do agree with you that it's nice when a sports car stands out, and I think white is just too damn boring.
I like Python Green the most, but since it's a 3k option, I lean towards Guards Red personally.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:12 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarm
Personally, while I think the white looks great, I do agree with you that it's nice when a sports car stands out, and I think white is just too damn boring.
I like Python Green the most, but since it's a 3k option, I lean towards Guards Red personally.
Thanks. Yes, the green would add both $3k for paint and $2,400 for interior with green accents. But if money was not a factor between red and green, would you still go red?
Old 10-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Money not a factor, yeah I think I'd go Python.
Do note that you can still get deviated stitching in other Guards in the new configurator (I think it's in the old one too, just not as obvious). https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PP9DUI61
You lose seat center stitching in Python Green I guess, but you still do get stitching. Of course, depending on your interior choice, that might be nearly as expensive as green + non-leather interior.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:40 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I plan on getting buckets. I wonder what they will look like. I hope the center is green! That would be very cool!
Old 10-31-2022, 01:49 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RRich
You will be searching for more camber sooner or later. There is a reason all GT cars have adjustable suspension parts designed to add more camber. The whole reason the 992 GT3 went to double wishbones is for greater camber control through the travel range. It’s like a drug, once you start adding it, you can’t seem to stop. I am up to -3.5 on my GT4 and want to add even more.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:51 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

i think the gray accents look best on more vibrant colors, so red or green. I plan on going with gentian blue because of that.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:52 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

I plan on getting buckets. I wonder what they will look like. I hope the center is green! That would be very cool!
buckets will have the standard race tex centers but they're just velcro'd in and you can get custom inserts from like P1 Designs (who I went with for my buckets) with your favorite green pattern

https://p1designs.com/
AdamIsAdam (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:54 PM
balucipher
Pro

I don't think green would be hard to sell, I think it'll be pretty popular on the 992 T because you can go full blown green on the car inside and out. Python is a cool and rare color and there's definitely a market for that.

But if your heart has always been set on Guards Red you can select the deviated stitching option and get Guards Red stitching, red seat belts and dials. A bit more expensive than the standard interior green package because you have to get the nicer leather interior plus the expensive stitching but you can get exactly what you've always wanted very custom to you
AdamIsAdam (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 02:07 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

I vote Python - really cool color and you get the benefit of all the marketing pics and materials matching your car. I had a racing yellow 991.2T and I collected all the marketing materials inc a cool hardback book the dealership had.

balucipher (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 02:09 PM
balucipher
Pro

I wish they offered the red and yellow interior T packages like on the 718T. I'd have done yellow stitch with my Ruby Star 911 T
Old 10-31-2022, 02:24 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I vote Python - really cool color and you get the benefit of all the marketing pics and materials matching your car. I had a racing yellow 991.2T and I collected all the marketing materials inc a cool hardback book the dealership had.
Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, c'mon!

Old 10-31-2022, 03:11 PM
Corkdsp
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 37 Posts

I vote Python Green also based on your 3 color choices. All look good though

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club