Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 06:52 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
I read somewhere that the leather option is lighter in the 992 than the plastic dash. Don't know why. Don't know if it's true. Can't recall where I read it. Buyer beware.
I debated leather for a long while for the same reasons. Bottom line, interior is where you live and what you see and it looks/feels substantially better to me, so a must.
Same feelings about painted interior trim. On the fence but ordered it in my white car for the same reasons: neutral color and easy fix if I don't like it.
Leather/stitching in seatbacks doesn't make sense since I don't see them. Wrapping them does since you can see those form outside and it reminds me of 993 painted seatbacks. It's also changeable and cheap.
The leather is pulled over the plastic dash, so it’s in addition, not a replacement
The following 4 users liked this post by Pivot:
Barkat03 (01-05-2024), Icegrill (01-05-2024), Macboy (01-05-2024), RatherJaded (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 07:05 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @wintershade
@Macboy -- You're killing me, brother! You're such an enabler. Where are all the "Ts should be light, minimal options, cheap" police when I need them? I really do love leather and deviated stitching. I just worry it's contrary to the ethos of the T. I don't care about recouping value at resale of a $160K T build vs a $130K T build.

I've hated the painted interior trim in every 911 I've seen it in, but it's mostly been skittle-colored GT3s. Since it's a free option and the Ice Grey is neutral, I figure I'll give it a whirl. If I don't like it, my SA says I can either vinyl wrap it gloss black or dark aluminum... and if that fails, have the OEM Black Brushed Aluminum trim that's standard with the GTS installed (though it would cost a few $k) to perfectly match the door sills.

I did consider "fully committing" to the Painted Ice Grey interior and doing the 1) Painted leather seatback and the 2) Leather Air Vents with Painted Vents. In the configurator, it looks awesome. I just worry in real life it will be tacky and add like $3500.
The plastic seat backs don't bother me as much as I thought, since the dark grey plastic at least matches other dark grey plastic trim parts throughout the cabin.

I read somewhere that the leather option is lighter in the 992 than the plastic dash. Don't know why. Don't know if it's true. Can't recall where I read it. Buyer beware.
I debated leather for a long while for the same reasons. Bottom line, the interior is where you live and what you see and it looks/feels substantially better to me, so a must.
Same feelings about painted interior trim. On the fence but ordered it in my white car for the same reasons: neutral color and easy fix if I don't like it.
Leather/stitching in seatbacks doesn't make sense since I don't see them. Wrapping them does since you can see those forms outside and it reminds me of 993 painted seatbacks. It's also changeable and cheap.

If you would not mind listening to my take on my matter;

I think all the leather you need, is the Leather Interior, which is 4k, then deviated stitching, in your color of choice.
I have driven my 911 for 11k miles and more than 300 hours in the car and seat.
I have not missed having more leather or wished for less.
If you love love leather, the only other thing I think is worth the money and will enhance the interior is the extended door panel in leather.
Because you get more deviated stitched leather included in that.
Other than that, that is all the leather you need.

Last edited by Vernin; 01-04-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:14 PM
Ethos_of_the_T
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
@Macboy -- You're killing me brother! You're such an enabler. Where are all the "Ts should be light, minimal options, cheap" police when I need them? I really do love leather and deviated stitching. I just worry it's contrary to the ethos of the T. I don't really care about recouping value at resale of a $160K T build vs a $130K T build.

Personally, I've hated the painted interior trim in every 911 I've seen it in, but it's mostly been skittle colored GT3s. Since it's a free option and the Ice Grey is neutral, I figure I'll give it a whirl. If I don't like it, my SA says I can either vinyl wrap it gloss black or dark aluminum... and if that fails, have the OEM Black Brushed Aluminum trim that's standard with the GTS installed (though apparently it would cost a few $k) to perfectly match the door sills.

I did consider "fully committing" to the Painted Ice Grey interior and doing the 1) Painted Leathers Seatback and the 2) Leather Air Vents with Painted Vents. In the configurator, it looks awesome. I just worry in real life it will be tacky and adds like $3500.
The plastic seat backs don't bother me as much as I thought, since the dark grey plastic at least matches other dark grey plastic trim parts throughout the cabin.
Sorry I’m late, but a friend of mine who denigrates the interior of my T by calling it “Jetta-esque” directed me to this post.. The leather and deviated stitching does indeed fly in the face of the T Ethos, but at the end of the day, buy what you want! Gatekeeping clowns such as myself shouldn’t affect your thought process and I hope you enjoy your leather wrapped dashboard, door panels, air vents and whatever else Porsche is wrapping in leather these days. I personally like the “cheap plastic” interior of my T, but I also once owned a Plymouth Sundance. Wishing you and everyone else here a belated Happy New Year and many happy miles motoring in their fabulous vehicles..
The following 7 users liked this post by Ethos_of_the_T:
Barkat03 (01-05-2024), Devon Racer (01-05-2024), JEHolloway (01-07-2024), lone992 (01-04-2024), Macboy (01-05-2024), Pivot (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-04-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2024, 08:17 PM
Green_Tea
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 80 Posts

While the debate on needlework rages on Rennlist, a bunch of Magneto journos get to play around with some 911s in the South of France.

https://www.magnetomagazine.com/we-t...e-col-de-turin

I think the interesting thing these days is that it is always a T ( rather than a base, S or GTS) in these group tests with pricy Turbos, GT cars and that Dakar thingy.

The People’s 911?
The following 6 users liked this post by Green_Tea:
Barkat03 (01-05-2024), Pivot (01-05-2024), RatherJaded (01-04-2024), Uhu (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024), Wilder (01-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-04-2024, 08:44 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PlainwhiteT
beautiful, mine is spec’ed almost the same, curious why you did not option the free “paint interior trim in exterior color”?
Thanks! I've seen some cars with the painted interior trim pieces and I just didn't care for the look. It's a personal preference for sure. I do however, have some black brushed aluminum trim pieces awaiting to be installed when the weather is a bit warmer.
The following 2 users liked this post by lone992:
PlainwhiteT (01-04-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:06 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by lone992
Thanks! I've seen some cars with the painted interior trim pieces and I just didn't care for the look. It's a personal preference for sure. I do however, have some black brushed aluminum trim pieces awaiting to be installed when the weather is a bit warmer.
Where did you order the black brushed aluminum from? I assume this is the GTS trim? Do you plan to DIY or dealer install?
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:29 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Where did you order the black brushed aluminum from? I assume this is the GTS trim? Do you plan to DIY or dealer install?
I was fortunate enough to pick up a like new but used set from a Rennlister that removed the trim from his GT3. Going to install the aft console and dash pieces myself. Not going to replace the door pieces as these don't seem to bother me.

Part numbers are here in post #6:
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1350...rt-number.html
Old 01-04-2024, 10:44 PM
zanary
Pro

Received 658 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by lone992
I was fortunate enough to pick up a like new but used set from a Rennlister that removed the trim from his GT3. Going to install the aft console and dash pieces myself. Not going to replace the door pieces as these don't seem to bother me.

Part numbers are here in post #6:
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1350...rt-number.html
Are these the pieces you are referring to?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...2dtcarbon.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992CCBO3.html

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku992cfdpt.html
Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 11:48 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernin
Quote:
Originally Posted by @wintershade
@Macboy -- You're killing me, brother! You're such an enabler. Where are all the "Ts should be light, minimal options, cheap" police when I need them? I really do love leather and deviated stitching. I just worry it's contrary to the ethos of the T. I don't care about recouping value at resale of a $160K T build vs a $130K T build.

I've hated the painted interior trim in every 911 I've seen it in, but it's mostly been skittle-colored GT3s. Since it's a free option and the Ice Grey is neutral, I figure I'll give it a whirl. If I don't like it, my SA says I can either vinyl wrap it gloss black or dark aluminum... and if that fails, have the OEM Black Brushed Aluminum trim that's standard with the GTS installed (though it would cost a few $k) to perfectly match the door sills.

I did consider "fully committing" to the Painted Ice Grey interior and doing the 1) Painted leather seatback and the 2) Leather Air Vents with Painted Vents. In the configurator, it looks awesome. I just worry in real life it will be tacky and add like $3500.

I debated leather for a long while for the same reasons. Bottom line, the interior is where you live and what you see and it looks/feels substantially better to me, so a must.
Leather/stitching in seatbacks doesn't make sense since I don't see them. Wrapping them does since you can see those forms outside and it reminds me of 993 painted seatbacks. It's also changeable and cheap.

If you would not mind listening to my take on my matter;

I think all the leather you need, is the Leather Interior, which is 4k, then deviated stitching, in your color of choice.
I have driven my 911 for 11k miles and more than 300 hours in the car and seat.
I have not missed having more leather or wished for less.
If you love love leather, the only other thing I think is worth the money and will enhance the interior is the extended door panel in leather.
Because you get more deviated stitched leather included in that.
Other than that, that is all the leather you need.
Odd - quote but not quote and lots of bold. Rennlist forum...you've been here a while. Quote tags are built in for a reason. Figure it out.

My opinion - T is more special because of cloth AND pinstripes with a T package. AFAIK you won't find it on any other 992. But if you need leather for your bum or some vents, get it. Racetex headliners are also pretty sweet. Probably not worth it if you go with a sunroof, but then again that's not 'allowed' on a T .
The following 3 users liked this post by arrivederci:
Icegrill (01-05-2024), Macboy (01-05-2024), Uhu (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 12:05 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 953 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
I debated leather for a long while for the same reasons. Bottom line, interior is where you live and what you see and it looks/feels substantially better to me, so a must.
Leather/stitching in seatbacks doesn't make sense since I don't see them. Wrapping them does since you can see those form outside and it reminds me of 993 painted seatbacks. It's also changeable and cheap.
Originally Posted by Pivot
The leather is pulled over the plastic dash, so it’s in addition, not a replacement
Yes they stretch the leather over the dash skeleton like a drum skin to save weight!
Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:00 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Green_Tea
While the debate on needlework rages on Rennlist, a bunch of Magneto journos get to play around with some 911s in the South of France.

https://www.magnetomagazine.com/we-t...e-col-de-turin

I think the interesting thing these days is that it is always a T ( rather than a base, S or GTS) in these group tests with pricy Turbos, GT cars and that Dakar thingy.

The People’s 911?

This post should be read with ‘Clarkson voice’.
Bravo @Green_Tea !
The following 4 users liked this post by Pivot:
Devon Racer (01-05-2024), Green_Tea (01-05-2024), Shortseller (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 02:11 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Yes they stretch the leather over the dash skeleton like a drum skin to save weight!
Dashboard skeleton is covered with porous plastic foam and thin shiny plastic layer that gives it a bit of give, before leather is stretched over it 😆
The following 2 users liked this post by Pivot:
Icegrill (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:47 AM
Chartreuse
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

PTS

I know there was some discussion on here about PTS. Even though it has been closed for the T for several months, and I originally didn’t get a PTS allocation, my dealer secured one. Goes to show they can do whatever they want. Dealers have contacts and can move cars and options with other dealers if they truly need. Just FYI.

May build and August delivery. (Pushed from original April delivery)
I went with a little chosen, new color: Ocean sea blue metallic.
The following 7 users liked this post by Chartreuse:
arrivederci (01-05-2024), Bearrun21 (01-07-2024), Green_Tea (01-05-2024), mitchs_996 (01-05-2024), N3DXT (01-09-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024), Ørjan (01-05-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2024, 05:47 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,299 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by FastAlpine
My T has arrived! Initial order in September and arrival today.
Love your idea there bringing up the contrast with the white dials and chrono. Brilliant move! Seatbelts blue?

Originally Posted by Vernin
If you would not mind listening to my take on my matter
Very bold statement. Basically love love leather paying $150.000 on a car and then saving the last dollars on the last 2 options? So I would say you either love love leather and go for it, or you don’t think it’s so important or worth the extra cash and leave it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macboy:
arrivederci (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 06:45 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 919 Posts

My personal opinion on additional leather in any vehicle, while I like the aesthetics and certainly the smell of it, I absolutely despise having to properly maintain it via cleaning and conditioning. PITA in my book. Just like the RS Spyder wheels, I love them, but I knew that I would end up hating cleaning them. The older I get the more simplified I want my life to be. After-all my time is running out. 🤣😂🤣

Last edited by RatherJaded; 01-05-2024 at 06:48 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
AJ_Judi (01-05-2024), JEHolloway (01-07-2024), Scott P (01-05-2024), Shortseller (01-05-2024), Vernin (01-05-2024), Winnetka (01-09-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club