992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 12:05 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by PetePorscheSD
Greetings everyone....

Well, I was not even looking at this car but ended up buying it after driving it !!!

Had a few 2023 Porsche's earlier this year. A nicely spec'd coupe, then a zero option cabriolet followed by a gorgeous Panamera. None of them connected with me, and traded all back to the dealer.

What changed is this new car is a manual. All the others were PDK's. No offense to anyone who has the auto, but I just could not figure out why I found the car a tad boring? I bought the car in Los Angeles. My first drive was basically surface streets and the freeway. However, the salesman asked if I wanted to take it out a second time and suggested I go up Topanga Canyon. Less than a half mile up the twisty road, I told him "I will take it!".

Not really a fan of used cars, but this was only 12K miles, super clean and highly optioned. Never thought I'd own a Yellow car, but was surprised how good it looked in person. Took it as a good sign that a couple of bees where humping the heck out of the roof :-)

Already Have some HRE wheels on order and contemplating an Akrapovic slip-on.

Congrats! Just a FYI, but you have a 991.2 T whereas this is a 992 T thread in the 992 forum.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 11-11-2023 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
Scott P (11-11-2023), user 36985478 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:11 PM
user 36985478
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

opps... sorry
The following 2 users liked this post by user 36985478:
N3DXT (11-12-2023), RatherJaded (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:13 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by PetePorscheSD
Greetings everyone....

Well, I was not even looking at this car but ended up buying it after driving it !!!

Had a few 2023 Porsche's earlier this year. A nicely spec'd coupe, then a zero option cabriolet followed by a gorgeous Panamera. None of them connected with me, and traded all back to the dealer.

What changed is this new car is a manual. All the others were PDK's. No offense to anyone who has the auto, but I just could not figure out why I found those cars a tad boring? I bought this car in Los Angeles. My first drive was basically surface streets and the freeway. However, the salesman asked if I wanted to take it out a second time and suggested I go up Topanga Canyon. Less than a half mile up the twisty road, I told him "I will take it!".

Not really a fan of used cars, but this was only 12K miles, super clean and highly optioned. Never thought I'd own a Yellow car, but was surprised how good it looked in person. Took it as a good sign that a couple of bees where humping the heck out of the roof :-)

Already Have some HRE wheels on order and contemplating an Akrapovic slip-on.

That's where I grew up. I lived a few blocks from Topanga and Mulholland. Hopefully he got you over onto Old Topanga. If not, check it out next time you're going through.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:20 PM
gtrs09
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Been thru many different builds but think this one might be it. Appreciate any thoughts. Aiming for $140k build +/-.

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...onment=outdoor

I don't care to pay $1600 for Bose for what seems like a minimal upgrade.

I had a 992 with Surround View and LCA previously, and have been dailying a 4RS (yes... I know) without them, and they're items I don't miss. I understand the resale perspective but are they really dealbreakers for a buyer of a RY Aerokit car?

Two items I'm on the fence about are the Engine Compartment Cover in Titanium Grey and RY Tach. Former is just a cool factor and latter is to brighten up the interior a bit. Both are not that expensive but perhaps there are better options to add personality that still get me to the same price.

I would do buckets to keep with the lightweight theme if not for the cost. I find them pretty comfortable.

Last edited by gtrs09; 11-11-2023 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike818 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:26 PM
russdc
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 56 Posts

Ouch..... not something I'd want to look at everyday
Old 11-11-2023, 12:27 PM
gtrs09
Track Day

Aw man really!? My 992 was RY and it got so many compliments.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:27 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtrs09
Been thru many different builds but think this one might be it. Appreciate any thoughts. Aiming for $140k build +/-.

I had a 992 with Surround View and LCA previously, and have been dailying a 4RS (yes... I know) without them, and they're items I don't miss. I understand the resale perspective but are they really dealbreakers for a buyer of a RY Aerokit car?

Two items I'm on the fence about are the Engine Compartment Cover in Titanium Grey and RY Tach. Former is just a cool factor and latter is to brighten up the interior a bit. Both are not that expensive but perhaps there are better options to add personality that still get me to the same price.

I would do buckets to keep with the lightweight theme if not for the cost. I find them pretty comfortable.
I suggest you do some more research on that topic, because I believe you are mistaken in that belief. From the reporting the factory stereo would be sub par for a 40k car, let alone a 140k car. There is actually a really good in depth analysis thread that I am too lazy to find a link right now that you should look into. It's really bad.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:28 PM
gtrs09
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mike818
I suggest you do some more research on that topic, because I believe you are mistaken in that belief. From the reporting the factory stereo would be sub par for a 40k car, let alone a 140k car. There is actually a really good in depth analysis thread that I am too lazy to find a link right now that you should look into. It's really bad.
Ok fair enough, thanks. I will look for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by gtrs09:
Mike818 (11-11-2023), N3DXT (11-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:29 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtrs09

Nice build. The only item that I would forgo would be the Engine Compartment Cover in Titanium Grey. I would most definitely add Bose.

Agree re your stance on LCA and SV. I ordered my T without either as I have been driving without them for 36 years and will proceeded in doing so until either are federally mandated, aka they become standard equipment.

Edit: I would probably remove ambient lighting as well. I waffled on this one fairly heavily myself and the consensus among those that currently have it was that they would not order it again.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 11-11-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:50 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by The911Don
This post should get a sticky. Applause.
Take it with a grain of salt. What part of the RAS is adding unsprung weight? The steering mechanism isn’t a spinning component. Also if RAS adds 6.5 kg, it’s 14lbs not 30lbs. Some more weight for battery depending on which battery but again don’t say this is unsprung weight in calculations. So the post is biased like many other posts on RL. Additionally, using the S/T as example for why to or not to RAS is silly. The S/T is a very custom car. They went to such weight saving extremes that it has less noise insulation than a GT3 RS. The extremely lightweight flywheel probably makes it a burden in everyday driving. And if S/T inspiration is your goal, the worst offending click box on a T would be the aero package, not the RAS. Don’t feel bad if you optioned it or not.

Last edited by tna3; 11-11-2023 at 01:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tna3:
Mike818 (11-11-2023), reggie2234 (11-11-2023), Scoots (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:53 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tna3
Take it with a grain of salt. What part of the RAS is adding unsprung weight? The steering mechanism isn’t a spinning component. Also if RAS adds 6.5 lbs, it’s 14lbs not 30lbs. Some more weight for battery depending on which battery but again don’t say this is unsprung weight in calculations. So the post is biased like many other posts on RL. Additionally, using the S/T as example for why to or not to RAS is silly. The S/T is a very custom car. They went to such weight saving extremes that it has less noise insulation than a GT3 RS. The extremely lightweight flywheel probably makes it a burden in everyday driving. And if S/T inspiration is your goal, the worst offending click box on a T would be the aero package, not the RAS. Don’t feel bad if you optioned it or not.
FYI, RAS = 6.5 kg and the needed battery = 3 kg. Not lbs. 9.5 kg converted to pounds = 20.94 lbs, so essentially 21 pounds.

Edit: The kilogram figures are directly from Andreas Preuninger.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 11-11-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:57 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

So what caught my attention about that statement is the battery thing. Isn't the lithium battery lighter? Or could he be embellishing the weight savings by subbing in the weight of an equivalent AGM battery? Maybe the lithium was never an option for the S/T?

Last edited by Mike818; 11-11-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:04 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

BTW, just a reminder that the rear seats and belts add 21.5 lbs per an individual that has physically removed the items and weighed them.

The glass sunroof is 50+ lbs.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 11-11-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Mike818 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:08 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TUD
BTW, just a reminder that the rear seats and belts add 21.5 lbs per an individual that has physically removed the items and weighed them.
Which probably took all of 10 minutes with some hand tools. This whole idea of giving you less stuff for no less money is a real ballsy move by the OEM.
RatherJaded (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Take it with a grain of salt. What part of the RAS is adding unsprung weight? The steering mechanism isn’t a spinning component. Also if RAS adds 6.5 lbs, it’s 14lbs not 30lbs. Some more weight for battery depending on which battery but again don’t say this is unsprung weight in calculations. So the post is biased like many other posts on RL. Additionally, using the S/T as example for why to or not to RAS is silly. The S/T is a very custom car. They went to such weight saving extremes that it has less noise insulation than a GT3 RS. The extremely lightweight flywheel probably makes it a burden in everyday driving. And if S/T inspiration is your goal, the worst offending click box on a T would be the aero package, not the RAS. Don’t feel bad if you optioned it or not.
Corrections:

1. I wrote the benefits and drawbacks of RAS. Interpreting that as biased is strange. As per above, I have nothing against RAS. I debated adding it to my car for weeks and checked the box a couple of times before deleting it. It's a great application for track. Not so much for the road-focused T. My decision is indeed my personal bias.

2. Suggesting that in order for weight to be considered unsprung needs to be rotating, tells me you have no idea what unsprung weight is. You may want to not only research the topic but also experiment with unsprung weight yourself so you can comment intelligently on the subject.

3. I went out of my way to indicate I don't know the total weight of RAS. Regardless, whether it's 10 or 20 or 30 lbs, adding that unsprung (yes, it is unsprung) weight to the rear with little benefit on a road-focused car doesn't make much sense, though I'm sure some will find a way to justify it.

4. The ST is not a "custom car". It's another variant of the 911 just like the T. The similarities between the T and the ST lie in that they both have the exact same focus: visceral, light weight road car. The difference is the degree to which they've executed that focus. One costs $116k. The other 2.5x more. That gives you a sense of the degree to which they are different. Therefore, pointing out that they kept the ST sans RAS to stay in line with the focus of the car (not just weight loss but visceral, rear-engined 911 feel) very much applies to the T since they share that same focus.

I own a 992T, a 7.2 GT3 with 4.0 LWFW, and I'm in line for an ST. I've never stalled my GT3 and doubt the ST will be "a burden in everyday driving" though unlike the T, it's not the tool for that. But feel welcome to share your personal experience owning 911s with LWFW, or the T so as not to assume you're just an armchair expert.

PS - I do agree with you about Aerokit.
PPS - My personal opinion and preference about RAS and Aerokit are not meant to offend those who optioned them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Devon Racer (11-11-2023), Mike818 (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club