Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 01:08 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
BTW, just a reminder that the rear seats and belts add 21.5 lbs per an individual that has physically removed the items and weighed them.
Which probably took all of 10 minutes with some hand tools. This whole idea of giving you less stuff for no less money is a real ballsy move by the OEM.
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,032 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Take it with a grain of salt. What part of the RAS is adding unsprung weight? The steering mechanism isn’t a spinning component. Also if RAS adds 6.5 lbs, it’s 14lbs not 30lbs. Some more weight for battery depending on which battery but again don’t say this is unsprung weight in calculations. So the post is biased like many other posts on RL. Additionally, using the S/T as example for why to or not to RAS is silly. The S/T is a very custom car. They went to such weight saving extremes that it has less noise insulation than a GT3 RS. The extremely lightweight flywheel probably makes it a burden in everyday driving. And if S/T inspiration is your goal, the worst offending click box on a T would be the aero package, not the RAS. Don’t feel bad if you optioned it or not.
Corrections:

1. I wrote the benefits and drawbacks of RAS. Interpreting that as biased is strange. As per above, I have nothing against RAS. I debated adding it to my car for weeks and checked the box a couple of times before deleting it. It's a great application for track. Not so much for the road-focused T. My decision is indeed my personal bias.

2. Suggesting that in order for weight to be considered unsprung needs to be rotating, tells me you have no idea what unsprung weight is. You may want to not only research the topic but also experiment with unsprung weight yourself so you can comment intelligently on the subject.

3. I went out of my way to indicate I don't know the total weight of RAS. Regardless, whether it's 10 or 20 or 30 lbs, adding that unsprung (yes, it is unsprung) weight to the rear with little benefit on a road-focused car doesn't make much sense, though I'm sure some will find a way to justify it.

4. The ST is not a "custom car". It's another variant of the 911 just like the T. The similarities between the T and the ST lie in that they both have the exact same focus: visceral, light weight road car. The difference is the degree to which they've executed that focus. One costs $116k. The other 2.5x more. That gives you a sense of the degree to which they are different. Therefore, pointing out that they kept the ST sans RAS to stay in line with the focus of the car (not just weight loss but visceral, rear-engined 911 feel) very much applies to the T since they share that same focus.

I own a 992T, a 7.2 GT3 with 4.0 LWFW, and I'm in line for an ST. I've never stalled my GT3 and doubt the ST will be "a burden in everyday driving" though unlike the T, it's not the tool for that. But feel welcome to share your personal experience owning 911s with LWFW, or the T so as not to assume you're just an armchair expert.

PS - I do agree with you about Aerokit.
PPS - My personal opinion and preference about RAS and Aerokit are not meant to offend those who optioned them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Devon Racer (11-11-2023), Mike818 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrs09
Been thru many different builds but think this one might be it. Appreciate any thoughts. Aiming for $140k build +/-.

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...onment=outdoor

I don't care to pay $1600 for Bose for what seems like a minimal upgrade.

I had a 992 with Surround View and LCA previously, and have been dailying a 4RS (yes... I know) without them, and they're items I don't miss. I understand the resale perspective but are they really dealbreakers for a buyer of a RY Aerokit car?

Two items I'm on the fence about are the Engine Compartment Cover in Titanium Grey and RY Tach. Former is just a cool factor and latter is to brighten up the interior a bit. Both are not that expensive but perhaps there are better options to add personality that still get me to the same price.

I would do buckets to keep with the lightweight theme if not for the cost. I find them pretty comfortable.
@gtrs09 Nice spec generally but I would not counter buckets if you propose doing long distance drives, after about an hour they become a pain the 4 Ways sport seat is ideal for most, but not me due to my thin build. If you propose loads of track work the buckets are a must.
The aero kit I guess is very American over here one would be laughed at trying to mirror every other boy racer in town,
The Titanium Grey engine cover is just paint and fake you will never see it same applies to the fake aluminum petrol cap.
I endorse your view on SV and LCA unless there is a specific need for them in your driving environment. Best Devon Racer.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:56 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Corrections:

2. Suggesting that in order for weight to be considered unsprung needs to be rotating, tells me you have no idea what unsprung weight is. You may want to not only research the topic but also experiment with unsprung weight yourself so you can comment intelligently on the subject.
You are right about the definition of unsprung weight and I do appreciate your correction. Having said that, I still believe that is the rotational unsprung weight which has exasperated effect of increased weight you describe. I read about it here: Unsprung weight

From the Porsche technical diagrams I do not see that RAS has added any rotational unsprung weight. Please feel free to point to other technical sources.
Mike818 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:00 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P

Thank you! Will order one and see how well it works.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:04 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

You are right about the definition of unsprung weight and I do appreciate your correction. Having said that, I still believe that is the rotational unsprung weight which has exasperated effect of increased weight you describe. I read about it here: Unsprung weight

From the Porsche technical diagrams I do not see that RAS has added any rotational unsprung weight. Please feel free to point to other technical sources.
The farther away from the axle, the larger the unsprung multiplier. Axle and suspension components are still unsprung, even though the unsprung multiplier will be less than say, tires. I'm not sure what you mean by "I do not see that RAS has added any rotational unsprung weight". The axle is the unsprung weight. RAS being heavier is the "add".

Again, what is your experience with unsprung weight? LWFW? None? Are you just reading technical data?
Mike818 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 258 Posts

@Taffy66 @Macboy 100%. I'm not against RAS either. RAS and PDK for fastest lap times. Analog for road fun. The 992 is no 997. It's electrified and nannied enough. Don't remove the remaining fun you have available to you by adding RAS, PDK and weight adding options. Otherwise, you may as well buy a base or an S. Rear seats if you have kids, or PDK if you daily it in traffic, or 18 ways if you have back pain are understandable. Unfortunate but totally understandable. Ticking the box because you want more tech or comfort... on a T? Facepalm.
@Wilder Agree 100% with your RAS & PDK opinions personally but don't lambast those who choose them.
I have spec'd the 18 ways after trying them in my loan car and the T I drove at Silverstone I am very slight of build and found that the bolsters of the back sides and seat sides held me much firmer in the seat for pressing on! For the reasons I stated in another post I didn't want the buckets. So was willing to take the weight penalty,
Though at my age back pain is always a prospect ??!! Best Devon Racer.
The following 3 users liked this post by Devon Racer:
Mike818 (11-11-2023), N3DXT (11-12-2023), Wilder (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:47 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Wait just a cotton picking minute here. Did someone poke fun at the Aero T? It's one thing to debate RWS, which I have and still debate getting it! LOL, but don't pick on my wing! Them's fighting words!

I got the Aero because I think it looks cool, stands out from others, and happens to make the car more rare (and some say it's lighter because it eliminates electric servos). A Python Green (one year only color) Aero? I know of only one other and he's located on another continent from me. I very well might have a one of one in the USA.

I was driving it today, really enjoying it. I'm out of garage space and considering selling it, but after today's drive, I might keep it.

In the end, they're all really great cars. It's more a matter of preferences. Unfortunately, nearly no one is in a position of being able to compare all options before buying. I would have LOVED to compare back to back. Oh well.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 11-11-2023 at 03:24 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
anythingbuttime (11-11-2023), Macboy (11-11-2023), N3DXT (11-12-2023), Pivot (11-11-2023), Rich_911T (11-18-2023), Wilder (11-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:49 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,030 Likes on 470 Posts

And if S/T inspiration is your goal, the worst offending click box on a T would be the aero package, not the RAS.
PS - I do agree with you about Aerokit.
PPS - My personal opinion and preference about RAS and Aerokit are not meant to offend those who optioned them.
I never gave a moment’s consideration to adding RAS or Aerokit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Icegrill (11-11-2023), RatherJaded (11-11-2023), Wilder (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:55 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,320 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by PetePorscheSD
Greetings everyone....

Well, I was not even looking at this car but ended up buying it after driving it !!!

What changed is this new car is a manual. All the others were PDK's. No offense to anyone who has the auto, but I just could not figure out why I found those cars a tad boring? I bought this car in Los Angeles. My first drive was basically surface streets and the freeway. However, the salesman asked if I wanted to take it out a second time and suggested I go up Topanga Canyon. Less than a half mile up the twisty road, I told him "I will take it!
Already Have some HRE wheels on order and contemplating an Akrapovic slip-on.
Congrats…991 T is sweet. Good move taking it to Topanga canyon. Back in the day, I’d take my dates to Inn of the 7th Ray so I could rip around there in my 300z TT and MK4 Supra.

Peeps that had 991 and 992 T tell me 991 exhaust sounds much better. That said, if you’re even considering an aftermarket exhaust, just do it! I str8 piped my 992T and can’t imagine my T without it now.

Originally Posted by gtrs09
Been thru many different builds but think this one might be it. Appreciate any thoughts. Aiming for $140k build +/-.

I don't care to pay $1600 for Bose for what seems like a minimal upgrade.
If u plan on no music in T then I’d suggest skip Bose. If music yes, get Bose. I recently heard in greater length this time as well as the Burmester in the T. Bose is decent, base system is bad. Bose will probably suffice for most. Burmester gets pretty loud. But the bass was lacking for me (not solid). I was itching to get back into my T to hear my bass. Disappointing for its price tag. If not looking for thumping solid bass, Bose should be enough. I now know that I would have upgraded the bass in both Bose and Burmester. I may be more unique in that I want car shaking bass. So, if solid bass is important to u, get the base system (or Bose) and add a high end sub. U can also improve the sounds from stock speakers by adding a DSP amp to drive them…

Last edited by ECNJ; 11-11-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Macboy (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,030 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Did someone puke fun at the Aero T?
While I don’t find it preferable, thankfully its not so displeasing that it causes me nausea.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
AdamIsAdam (11-11-2023), FloraFauna (11-12-2023), Icegrill (11-11-2023), Macboy (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Wait just a cotton picking minute here. Did someone puke fun at the Aero T? It's one thing to debate RWS, which I have and still debate getting it! LOL, but don't pick on my wing! Them's fighting words!

In the end, they're all really great cars. It's more a matter of preferences. Unfortunately, nearly no one is in a position of being able to compare all options before buying. I would have LOVED to compare back to back. Oh all.
I debated RAS a lot and believe it or not, my first spec was a tribute to the green 7.1 GT3RS, one of my all time favorite cars, so green with aero like yours but with black wheels. That long RAS write up is precisely to help those still ordering cars, knowing many of us agonized over certain options before freeze date and sometimes information was not as granular as one would hope.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
That emoji doesn't fit with your screen name.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2023, 03:01 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,320 Likes on 814 Posts

V-Line
Old 11-11-2023, 03:03 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
BTW, just a reminder that the rear seats and belts add 21.5 lbs per an individual that has physically removed the items and weighed them.

The glass sunroof is 50+ lbs.
A glass sun roof has no place on a T version as far as I’m concerned. But love it in my SUV!

Backseats have no real practical purpose except they do make the interior look finished.
Mike818 (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club