Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 12:21 PM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

It always amazes me how car reviewers get a test car from the manufacturer and then lose all objectivity. This guy is an influencer rather than a reviewer.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudFox6:
Scott P (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 12:24 PM
Roadworrier
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I'm in the UK and picked up my new 992T on Monday. Its a Manual Gentian Blue car with only a few options and no RAS. It does have the printed owner's Manual to answer your question. I drove the 100 miles home from the dealer in truly biblical rain and the T was absolutely rock solid in terms of confidence. It's shod with Goodyears which I was very impressed with and a lot better then the Pirellis in my experience.
Tonight was the first chance I had to check what battery my Model year 24 has fitted after reading others had been fitted with the standard Lead battery. What a surprise to find a 60Ah Lithium Ion battery in mine which I truly wasn't expecting !
The car itself is truly wonderful and feels like a true 911 unlike my old 2019 992S PDK. It feels like a really lightweight car and has bags of character. Quite possibly my fav 911 to date excluding the various GT3s and RS' I've owned. For fun road use and little track work I think I prefer it over the GT3/RS.
Love the T so much more than I expected !
Manual, Gentian Blue, No RAS, No FAL, all seem to be a sweet spot for a lot of us. (In my case no door decals either.)
The following 4 users liked this post by Roadworrier:
Cartod (11-05-2023), ClubRacer523 (11-05-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023), Ørjan (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 12:34 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,030 Likes on 470 Posts

@Devon Racer — Lots of reasons to like the M2 CS, it just wasn’t for me. Please note I was responding to @Uhu, where he stated he never connected with the CS. As for Evo CoTY, that’s great, but I think the third pedal is what gave it the edge over the other top competitors. That is a huge factor for the Evo crew (and quite understandably so).
The following users liked this post:
Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 12:39 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 953 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by The911Don
Less than 240 miles for each car. Sad.
Wish I impulse bought my T!
Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 01:08 PM
Roadworrier
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 71 Posts

2000 Mile Review (picked up 9/28 from PEC-Atlanta).
  • TL; DR Compared to my mid-engine predecessors (especially the 718 with the turbo 4), the 911T rides, handles, performs and sounds like an "adult car". It has the shortest-throw, but easiest to use manual transmission I've ever had (my Boxster was PDK but my previous Cayman and BMWs were manuals), and the ride-handling balance is on another level. Since I've never owned another 911 nor had I spent much time in anything beyond a 991.1 GT3, I'm not really missing any luxury or insulation or leather or stitching or carbon buckets or rear-axle steer or front-axle lift or other items that everyone says you have to have.
  • I'm glad I went for the shark blue seat belts, crest on the armrest (both optional) and the Gentian Blue dash and console trim (no cost option in lieu of piano black). They dress up the car and keep it from being too monochrome without having to spec the stupidly expensive interior and stitching options that in turn came standard with my $36,000 2021 Subaru Outback XT Onyx.
  • I did one major 400-mile round trip with it, probably the last long-distance till next year. Went to the Boardwalk Reunion in OCNJ (PCA Zone 2 event). Car drove just fine on mid-Atlantic interstates, 6th and 7th gears make the drive comfortable, and Sport PASM is firm but not unbearable at all in normal mode. I don't notice the relative lack of insulation (I previously had a 718 Boxster S and a 987 Cayman before that, so noise is the same or less).
  • The manual transmission is a sweet operator with a nice precise and light clutch. The auto start-stop in normal mode is a weird feature with a manual, I override it with the diamond button on the steering wheel (and it's overridden in sport and sport plus anyway). 6th and 7th gears are a little more rubbery to reach than the other, more notchy gears, but I am adjusting. FTR, hitting 4th instead of 6th is not a money shift at all with the great engine rev range. While I can downshift fine without auto blip, it is a great sounding feature and another reason to love this thing.
  • Over time, it's almost like the PCM needed to "learn" my phone. Sometimes it wireless connects CarPlay right away, other times it takes a minute. While I will occasionally do a wire connection for longer trips to keep the phone charged, I sense that sometimes confuses the PCM. Otherwise I've gotten used to its quirks.
  • Climate control (always something my wife routinely screwed up in my Boxster from the passenger seat as she's either too hot or too cold regardless of the time of year) is simple as can be. Less buttons and switches are better and less for my wife to screw up.
  • Ride, handling and daily travel with the vehicle seem to offer fewer compromises than people think - there's less ambient road / wind noise than I expected (the Goodyear F1 tires may help in that regard), and no one who's ridden in it has ever said "wow, you can hear every rock and crack in the road". Instead they notice how nice the engine sounds. Which leads me to believe the other non-GTS Carreras (and Turbos) are skewed more heavily toward luxury than toward sport.
  • I celebrating 2000 miles by pegging 6500 rpm but haven't gotten it to redline yet, not many opportunities around town to do so without the wee-woos coming after you here in Northern Virginia.
  • My standard 4-way sport plus seat remains my most comfortable car seat ever and would easily pass the "Sarah n Tuned" bolstering assessment (she's a famous and funny automotive YouTuber whom I don't think has ever reviewed a Porsche). Cloth inserts surrounded by leather bolsters are the way to go and I love mentioning that it's a seriously extra-cost option in the more expensive S model (as are several other things standard on the T).
  • The Bose sounds great while I'm puttering around and doesn't get drowned out by road noise when you're on the highway.
Never have I smiled so much driving a car since I got my first Cayman in 2008.

Last edited by Roadworrier; 11-05-2023 at 01:23 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Roadworrier:
6sigma (11-05-2023), AJ_Judi (11-05-2023), defiant2 (11-06-2023), Devon Racer (11-05-2023), Green_Tea (11-05-2023), Icegrill (11-05-2023), Macboy (11-10-2023), MC500 (11-05-2023), Mike818 (11-05-2023), Motorin Mark (11-05-2023), Ray K. (11-05-2023), stonekutter (11-05-2023), Uhu (11-05-2023), Ørjan (11-05-2023) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,099 Likes on 378 Posts

I will not be one of those silly Americans who tells you to keep your three pedals (but only because I know your T is PDK!). Good luck with your choice — this is a good “dilemma” to have. I hope you will stick around here regardless of your decision.
P.S. I had an M2 CS and didn’t keep it long. I didn’t quite get the hype.
My T is manual, wouldn't have ordered one if PDK only.
I know, "first world problems". Christmas may happen earlier this year, for me.

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
@Uhu Go for it read the Evo test in the 25 year issue currently on book stalls.
Best Devon Racer You would not get an allocation here in the UK
If certain hurdles can be cleared, then I will go for it. Will have next week to find out more and sort it out. Was actually planing to switch to a GT3 in the next 5-7 years anyway.

Originally Posted by Wilder
I wouldn't think twice. Worse case, the car is completely inappropriate for your needs and you sell it down the line for what you paid for it. Used Ts will always be around.
Opportunities to spec and buy a new RS don't come around every day.
Makes sense
If this car is anywhere near the GT4 class racecar I drove a while back, then I might get addicted to it. But I will miss the manual T.

The following 3 users liked this post by Uhu:
HerrDr (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023), Wilder (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 02:44 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 953 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
2000 Mile Review (picked up 9/28 from PEC-Atlanta).
  • TL; DR Compared to my mid-engine predecessors (especially the 718 with the turbo 4), the 911T rides, handles, performs and sounds like an "adult car". It has the shortest-throw, but easiest to use manual transmission I've ever had (my Boxster was PDK but my previous Cayman and BMWs were manuals), and the ride-handling balance is on another level. Since I've never owned another 911 nor had I spent much time in anything beyond a 991.1 GT3, I'm not really missing any luxury or insulation or leather or stitching or carbon buckets or rear-axle steer or front-axle lift or other items that everyone says you have to have.
  • I'm glad I went for the shark blue seat belts, crest on the armrest (both optional) and the Gentian Blue dash and console trim (no cost option in lieu of piano black). They dress up the car and keep it from being too monochrome without having to spec the stupidly expensive interior and stitching options that in turn came standard with my $36,000 2021 Subaru Outback XT Onyx.
  • I did one major 400-mile round trip with it, probably the last long-distance till next year. Went to the Boardwalk Reunion in OCNJ (PCA Zone 2 event). Car drove just fine on mid-Atlantic interstates, 6th and 7th gears make the drive comfortable, and Sport PASM is firm but not unbearable at all in normal mode. I don't notice the relative lack of insulation (I previously had a 718 Boxster S and a 987 Cayman before that, so noise is the same or less).
  • The manual transmission is a sweet operator with a nice precise and light clutch. The auto start-stop in normal mode is a weird feature with a manual, I override it with the diamond button on the steering wheel (and it's overridden in sport and sport plus anyway). 6th and 7th gears are a little more rubbery to reach than the other, more notchy gears, but I am adjusting. FTR, hitting 4th instead of 6th is not a money shift at all with the great engine rev range. While I can downshift fine without auto blip, it is a great sounding feature and another reason to love this thing.
  • Over time, it's almost like the PCM needed to "learn" my phone. Sometimes it wireless connects CarPlay right away, other times it takes a minute. While I will occasionally do a wire connection for longer trips to keep the phone charged, I sense that sometimes confuses the PCM. Otherwise I've gotten used to its quirks.
  • Climate control (always something my wife routinely screwed up in my Boxster from the passenger seat as she's either too hot or too cold regardless of the time of year) is simple as can be. Less buttons and switches are better and less for my wife to screw up.
  • Ride, handling and daily travel with the vehicle seem to offer fewer compromises than people think - there's less ambient road / wind noise than I expected (the Goodyear F1 tires may help in that regard), and no one who's ridden in it has ever said "wow, you can hear every rock and crack in the road". Instead they notice how nice the engine sounds. Which leads me to believe the other non-GTS Carreras (and Turbos) are skewed more heavily toward luxury than toward sport.
  • I celebrating 2000 miles by pegging 6500 rpm but haven't gotten it to redline yet, not many opportunities around town to do so without the wee-woos coming after you here in Northern Virginia.
  • My standard 4-way sport plus seat remains my most comfortable car seat ever and would easily pass the "Sarah n Tuned" bolstering assessment (she's a famous and funny automotive YouTuber whom I don't think has ever reviewed a Porsche). Cloth inserts surrounded by leather bolsters are the way to go and I love mentioning that it's a seriously extra-cost option in the more expensive S model (as are several other things standard on the T).
  • The Bose sounds great while I'm puttering around and doesn't get drowned out by road noise when you're on the highway.
Never have I smiled so much driving a car since I got my first Cayman in 2008.
Nice, concise review! Thank you
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
Roadworrier (11-05-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,034 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
PCA just did a one-mile review of the 992 T and gave it a 9/10 for fun. The reviewer absolutely loved driving it. https://youtu.be/fnluSOjizsc?si=4sgsHPJk1azx4c-r
Thanks for sharing. I think this is accurate.

Car Show: S and GTS with wider range of options can be prettier. GT3 and Turbos look best.
Road Trip: after a few hours, excessive road noise filtering through the LWG and LW insulation gets old.
Daily Driver: very good but S and Turbo are more comfortable.
Fun Factor: for my taste, the only 911 that beats it is the GT3.

Last edited by Wilder; 11-05-2023 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Roadworrier (11-05-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 08:12 PM
heyadam
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Mine will be doing the same, but mainly because of below 45 temps. Salt brine tends to be hit or miss here.

Woo Hoo! Congrats and MPS4S to boot!

Edit: @heyadam BTW, is yours Chalk or Ice Grey Metallic?
It’s chalk, hard to tell in those photos!
The following 2 users liked this post by heyadam:
RatherJaded (11-05-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 09:28 PM
jpgallo
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

The SportDesign rear fascia looks fantastic, and even better in lighter colors that highlight its design. And I think the Exclusive Design taillights work well with GT Silver. I hope you will take this same shot with a better background when you get the chance. The back end of the 911 is a beautiful thing.
Thank you, i will take some better pics soon. I’m really happy with the color combo - simple but stylish in my view and the rear fascia has more detail than i expected and I love it. I also changed out the side markers to the clear ones, so the whole car is in the same tones. Only challenge i have had so far is consistently finding 7th…sometimes its 7th and sometimes i find 5th. At 80 mph, it doesnt really matter
Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 11:51 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Less than 240 miles for each car. Sad.
Didn't buy it to drive it. Listing says sport-tex seats but she ordered ventilated seats and has no idea that sport-tex is removed with vented seats. Yes sad.
The following 2 users liked this post by arrivederci:
ECNJ (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 07:54 AM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jpgallo
Thank you, i will take some better pics soon. I’m really happy with the color combo - simple but stylish in my view and the rear fascia has more detail than i expected and I love it. I also changed out the side markers to the clear ones, so the whole car is in the same tones. Only challenge i have had so far is consistently finding 7th…sometimes its 7th and sometimes i find 5th. At 80 mph, it doesnt really matter
I had the same issue with seventh when I initially picked up my car during European delivery and driving on the Autobahn. I find that you have to be deliberate with the shift from 6th to 7th. Although not sure about this statement, but I believe the only way to access seventh is by going into sixth first.

Last edited by reddysum; 11-06-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:10 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

You can access 7th gear from 5th or 6th only.
The following 4 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
ClubRacer523 (11-06-2023), ECNJ (11-06-2023), Scott P (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 10:18 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,034 Likes on 1,791 Posts

@jpgallo @reddysum a few of us went through the learning curve of finding 7th. Soon enough it'll be second nature. And unless you're concerned about gas mileage or drive long distances well above the speed limit, you'll rarely use it anyway. You can hit top speed on 5th.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
ECNJ (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:07 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

Anyone have the Porsche 19/20 winter wheel/tire package on their T? Got any pics?
The following 2 users liked this post by 6sigma:
seahack (11-06-2023), Vernin (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club