Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 01:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
This was different, and a different motor in design almost completely. Also, you'll hear the sound on the 992s with your windows down way more. and yes it is present under throttle, but you hear it the most when letting off the throttle, especially at lower speeds where other noise isn't covering it up. Its absolutely normal for the 992 platform.
I can buy this explanation although I must say it's not a noise I'd associate with any internal source or from a chain drive; they tend to be far more metallic but then I guess it could be from the chain tensioner which would be non-metallic right? Can't say I've seen the internal workings of a 992 engine.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:45 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
So if this is a "normal" sound, would you recommend I cancel my visit to the dealer to check this out? Because what I'm observing is exactly what BigWorm and others here have described.

I mean, if it will make you feel better, go ahead and have them look at it (I mean it, not being sarcastic) but yes this sound is present on every 992, including turbo S...so there wont be much of anything to be able to do about it. Now, Im not saying there isnt a chance that a few of them have those parts break...but you'd be getting a check engine light almost DEFINITELY if that was the case given the amount of sensors Porsche puts in these things nowadays.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:04 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't really hear the noise in the video (unless its the clunking sound). If its the clunking (@3sec)m, that sounds external. Anybody have a loop of the sound?
Accel/decel "chirps/cricket" nosies have been associated to a loose spark plug but given these cars are new I can't imagine the factory not getting this right.
Tupper, if/when you take your car in and if they say it is normal, have them demonstrate on another 992.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:27 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
I can't really hear the noise in the video (unless its the clunking sound). If its the clunking (@3sec)m, that sounds external. Anybody have a loop of the sound?
Accel/decel "chirps/cricket" nosies have been associated to a loose spark plug but given these cars are new I can't imagine the factory not getting this right.
Tupper, if/when you take your car in and if they say it is normal, have them demonstrate on another 992.
Aggies video catches it pretty good. Its the fluttering, belt squeal, chirping/cricket like sound you hear as he revs it.

I hear that at slow speeds like crazy and when coming to a stop.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:07 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Accel/decel "chirps/cricket" nosies have been associated to a loose spark plug but given these cars are new ......
years ago , my then new 996 Turbo had an occasional odd idle " hiccup " that techs could not discern and no trouble code thrown and said it was just the way a high output motor ran , which I found unacceptable and insisted their lead tech look further into it ..he pulled sparks plugs and found one that had damaged electrode from obviously being dropped at some point ...either during plug packaging or during engine assembly ..." the human touch "

he replaced that plug and car idled smooth as silk thereafter .

Last edited by MKW; 12-14-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

How is it that so many different things can cause a "chirping" engine sound?

Sparkplugs, belts, pulleys, oil pumps...... Confusing indeed
Old 12-14-2020, 07:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Aggies video catches it pretty good. Its the fluttering, belt squeal, chirping/cricket like sound you hear as he revs it.

https://youtu.be/ayKHvakCE9w I hear that at slow speeds like crazy and when coming to a stop.

Yep, thats it lol. Mechanically fine, just odd.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:30 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

So I took my car out for a nice long drive this afternoon... and now I have an appointment scheduled with my otolaryngologist to have my ears checked because I still don’t hear anything 🤪
Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smiles11
So I took my car out for a nice long drive this afternoon... and now I have an appointment scheduled with my otolaryngologist to have my ears checked because I still don’t hear anything 🤪
My first 2020 911 S didnt make this noise. Although the PDK leaked and the front end had a clunk no one could figure out. I did NOT make this noise at all.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:26 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Out of curiosity do people who hear or don't hear the sound hear "yanny" or "laurel"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...BHO8WIzcKInmUQ
Old 12-14-2020, 10:16 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wasabi4
Out of curiosity do people who hear or don't hear the sound hear "yanny" or "laurel"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...BHO8WIzcKInmUQ
My ADD/ADHD/OCD says its Laurel.
The following users liked this post:
JRoach (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:00 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ Don't mind my asking, but since I don't know you, by what authority are you so sure of yourself of this? (again--no intention of disrespect, but this being an anonymous forum and all).

Ultimately, if this is truly just a normal part of the engine sound then I'm going to try to train my ears to "unhear it" and start enjoying my drives again. Maybe it will start becoming kind of like a cool new Porsche 911 sound, kinda edgy in a way..... ??
Old 12-14-2020, 11:41 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if it can be reproduced with the car parked has anybody taken their phone (selfie stick?) to see if its: one bank or the other, front or back?
Old 12-15-2020, 12:43 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

if it can be reproduced with the car parked has anybody taken their phone (selfie stick?) to see if its: one bank or the other, front or back?
No but it sounds like it’s coming from back right side when I’m driving if I had to guess.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I called a local Porsche dealer who spoke to the boss at service who says that they've gotten other complaints about this sound (I described it over the phone). He said that it is due to the "Tank vent valve" but that it's nothing serious. They've spoken to Porsche HQ in Germany who so far does not have a fix for it.

I happen to be going to another Porsche dealer in person on Thursday just to get it looked at.

Either way, we seem to be getting so many competing theories as to what this is, but the consensus continues to be that it's nothing to be worried about, which is my top priority. The good news seems to be that this is a common sound being heard by a lot of 992 owners.

Hmmmmm......

Last edited by Tupper; 12-15-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?