Sponsored by:

Do you have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:22 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Well, your opinion. However I have spoken with two police officers in Fairfax County this week on this and other topics and they clearly told me this law prevents them from pulling over a motorist from any kind of equipment violation on a vehicle, which includes a front license plate. They are secondary infractions only that they can write you for AFTER pulling your over for speeding, reckless driving, running a light, etc. But believe what you like RDV.
Even cops misread the law.
The relevant portion only refers to the light illuminating the rear license plate, not to other equipment.
There are other sections specifically dealing with exhaust systems on scooters and window tinting (and marijuana but not really relevant to the analysis).
Since the state legislature saw fit to specifically list rear plate illumination, exhaust systems on scooters and window tinting but not missing front plates as no longer being primary violations I see no reason to assume the state legislature intended to include missing front plates in the law.
That said, I hope all of the cops in VA misread it too so I no longer need to worry about my missing front plate as a primary violation.
Cheers,
Ross
(33+ years practicing law)
The following users liked this post:
SamD (04-18-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 02:03 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
Even cops misread the law.
The ones that can read. In general I would say cops have little idea about the proper meaning and application of laws. Here, we’re dealing with a new seemingly complicated law so I’d estimate a 99.7% chance of a cop wrongly applying it based on not understanding it. Ask a cop if he knows what the Fifth Amendment is. They might guess compost or maybe gypsum. That one’s been around for a while but it has not set off lightbulbs in even your above average cop.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Jimpa225
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
The ones that can read. In general I would say cops have little idea about the proper meaning and application of laws. Here, we’re dealing with a new seemingly complicated law so I’d estimate a 99.7% chance of a cop wrongly applying it based on not understanding it. Ask a cop if he knows what the Fifth Amendment is. They might guess compost or maybe gypsum. That one’s been around for a while but it has not set off lightbulbs in even your above average cop.
As someone who had a family member killed in the line of duty I find your post truly disgusting. If you knew anything about law enforcement at all you might be surprised at the educational requirements today. The cops I'm friendly with all want to do their jobs correctly and fairly and assist the public but uniformly complain that today a law school education is needed..

The next time you need the assistance of an officer make sure you tell them what you think of cops before you ask them to put their lives on the line to protect you.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jimpa225:
Flashart (01-22-2022), LASDSGT770 (04-21-2021), lucycan (04-27-2021), michael818 (04-21-2021), siberian (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:53 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
What an absolutely asinine statement. Your ignorance of law enforcement and the requirements for police officers is way off base.
The following 4 users liked this post by michael818:
Flashart (01-22-2022), LASDSGT770 (04-21-2021), lucycan (04-27-2021), ryandarr1979 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:25 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimpa225
As someone who had a family member killed in the line of duty I find your post truly disgusting. If you knew anything about law enforcement at all you might be surprised at the educational requirements today. The cops I'm friendly with all want to do their jobs correctly and fairly and assist the public but uniformly complain that today a law school education is needed..

The next time you need the assistance of an officer make sure you tell them what you think of cops before you ask them to put their lives on the line to protect you.
We all come at this based on our personal experiences and relationships. I've had quite a lot of interaction with police. My experiences have been virtually uniform and disgusting is the world I'd apply, leading to my generalization. I'd avoid asking police for assistance at all costs and have prepared accordingly. Within our history people had ways of not relying on police. But I'll own my bias. To you and those like you I truly apologize. I realize there are heroes too. My heartfelt condolences. But please allow for the experiences of others and that they can provide the basis for a completely different point of view.
Originally Posted by michael818
What an absolutely asinine statement. Your ignorance of law enforcement and the requirements for police officers is way off base.
That makes my interactions and the interactions of many others all the more disappointing and tragic. Perhaps those meeting the standards you imply and who act appropriately might take responsibility and action as to those police officers who lack training or act improperly. It might make things better and safer for all concerned.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:44 AM
Moyndog
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Targa 4S sport design fascia

Anybody have luck mounting front plate in the center without holes on a sport design fascia? Thanks, Moyndog.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:47 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 449 Posts

All this VA talk reminds me of what a police state it really is. Somewhat related, a state revenue car with ALPR apparently was going through my office parking lot looking for tax evaders (unknown to me). A couple months later a tidy $1000.00 was taken out of my account by Fairfax County, and the bank allowed it. I call up Fairfax county tax office and they say that I didn’t pay tax although I only work there, not live there. I live in prince William County. I had to email them Google maps screenshots to show it was an office building, not a residence and provide evidence I was paying taxes in PW County.

Due to work, I’ve had to live in VA most of my adult life. I begrudgingly use a tow hook mount from Rennline and it’s very adjustable. I will get one from there when the Targa comes in.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Moyndog
Anybody have luck mounting front plate in the center without holes on a sport design fascia? Thanks, Moyndog.
On my 991.2 I glued rare-earth magnets to the inside of the plastic bumper cover and corresponding magnets on the plastic license plate mounting bracket.

The magnets that were glued to the license plate bracket are rubber coated so as not to mar the bumper cover when the license plate is installed.

I plan to do the same thing to my 992 when it arrives.

Jason
The following users liked this post:
lucycan (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:59 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Here in Texas I've been pulled over just because I did not have a front license plate. I now use mounts that go in tow hook hole in front bumper.

In fact, I have one sitting in the garage that was on my Cayenne GTS. May work on other models. If anyone wants it - PM me. Just cover shipping (in other words, free to good home).

UPDATE - bracket has found a new home..

Last edited by GTorTT; 04-27-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:27 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

I still have a nearly new Carbonio for 992 available...
Old 04-27-2021, 04:44 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
On my 991.2 I glued rare-earth magnets to the inside of the plastic bumper cover and corresponding magnets on the plastic license plate mounting bracket.

The magnets that were glued to the license plate bracket are rubber coated so as not to mar the bumper cover when the license plate is installed.

I plan to do the same thing to my 992 when it arrives.

Jason
Wow, you must have some decent roads in Houston. A plate held on by magnets, no matter how strong, wouldn't stay in place for more than a mile in my part of the world.

Just for kicks do you have a link to the place you sourced your magnets?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 04-27-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:24 PM
bagel
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a front plate here in CA. I can't remember if they changed the rules but I hope it's just a fixit ticket. It totally ruins the car.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:31 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Never had a front plate in Ohio in 20 years… never got a ticket… since July 2020 I am legal as front plates are no no longer required…
Old 04-30-2021, 03:28 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

I lived in California for over 30 of my adult years and never ran a front license plate on any of my cars. I got the occasional fix it ticket here and there which I paid and promptly removed my plate. I eventually got a sto and show front plate mount, which works really well. Then about 3 yrs ago, I moved to AZ where front plates are not required and they don't even issue you a front license plate. LOVE that about AZ among many other things.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:41 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Magnets is a great option. They work well.

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate?