Sponsored by:

Do you have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 06:59 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
All are now coming from Germany pre-drilled with pilot holes.
not my experience with my 992TTS (October 2020 build)
Old 01-31-2021, 05:58 PM
devbot
3rd Gear

Received 30 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also a fan of the Carbonio front license plate mount and the company. I ordered it for my 992 back in December and it was super easy to install. I did get some slight scraping when backing out of my driveway, but it was acceptable for me since could back out first and then clip the plate bracket on after that. Worked out OK since I don't always use it - only if I think I'm going for a longer drive. But still, I would have liked to have the plate sit just a tad higher up for aesthetic reasons.

Was super happy to see someone in this thread post that Carbonio had a new front bracket that raised the plate higher and that Carbonio shipped it to them at no cost to replace the original. I shot Carbonio an email with my order number and asked if I could get the new one too and got a near instant weekend response saying "Yes, it'll ship out on Monday". Major kudos to Carbonio - I'm a happy customer! I've got the new one installed now and it looks just like ryandarr1979's pictures.
The following users liked this post:
ryandarr1979 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 07:16 PM
guffdude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Acquired this quick release "StoNSho" Licence Plate Bracket and installed it yesterday. It works quite well with my C2S. I have the Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) option and thus being able to mount a quick release License Plate Bracket off center was critical.
It truly is a quick release and reinstall system. It uses a single spring locking pin that can be seen in one of the pictures below.
With the Plate and Bracket removed, nothing is visible, unless you were to get under the car.
Since I run without a front License Plate and one can get a Fix-It Ticket for this in California (although I never have) it seemed like an easy "Fix-It" should my luck not hold out.

Front View does not block the camera or the ACC Sensor.

Side View shows how it is attached as well as the quick release pin.

Vertical View shows the Bracket and the License Plate just clear the Bumper and the Spoiler.
I've had the StoNShw for about a month. I love the concept and only use it when going into Denver and either parking on the street or at the airport as the Parking ****** are looking for cars without the front plate. Unfortunately, the bracket mounted on the bottom of the car will bend with a good scrape and the bracket holding the plate no longer fits without a little adjustment. Just be careful with front end scrapes.

Last edited by guffdude; 01-31-2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by guffdude
I've had the StoNShw for about a month. I love the concept and only use it when going into Denver and either parking on the street or at the airport as the Parking ****** are looking for cars without the front plate. Unfortunately, the bracket mounted on the bottom of the car will bend with a good scrape and the bracket holding the plate no longer fits without a little adjustment. Just be careful with front end scrapes.
I backed mine up with a sheet of 13/16" ABS plastic that is 1" larger on all four sides. I have that on the topside of the swiss cheese plastic that it attaches to. The swiss cheese plastic is thus sandwiched between the mount and the sheet of ABS plastic that I added. This adds quite a bit of structural stability to the system. Something I'd recommend that the manufacturer provide and/or offer.

You are correct in as much as if the spoiler lip touches down, you will almost certainly be lightly scraping the bottom of this mount. I know that mine shows some telltale evidence of this. I believe it is from my driveway entrance.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-31-2021 at 10:30 PM.
guffdude (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:20 PM
ThWombatCredenza
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by devbot
I'm also a fan of the Carbonio front license plate mount and the company. I ordered it for my 992 back in December and it was super easy to install. I did get some slight scraping when backing out of my driveway, but it was acceptable for me since could back out first and then clip the plate bracket on after that. Worked out OK since I don't always use it - only if I think I'm going for a longer drive. But still, I would have liked to have the plate sit just a tad higher up for aesthetic reasons.

Was super happy to see someone in this thread post that Carbonio had a new front bracket that raised the plate higher and that Carbonio shipped it to them at no cost to replace the original. I shot Carbonio an email with my order number and asked if I could get the new one too and got a near instant weekend response saying "Yes, it'll ship out on Monday". Major kudos to Carbonio - I'm a happy customer! I've got the new one installed now and it looks just like ryandarr1979's pictures.

after seeing both of your posts, I also contacted Carbonio and they also are shipping me the new part! CARBONIO ROCKS! So happy they did that and so glad you guys shared your experience on here.

devbot (02-01-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:54 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Default (temporary) legal alternatives

The Carbonio and StoNShow devices look great, although it does not seem any of the currently available devices would work for my 992TTS (which also has the Sport Design package).

HOWEVER, many states have a law along these lines, which would (temporarily) allow a no-drill decal or adhesive plate - with number only):

Connecticut Code Title 14, Ch. 246, Sec 14-18(c):

Connecticut General Statutes § 14-18 (2019) - Display of number plates and stickers. Issuance of sample number plates. Return of number plates to commissioner. :: Title 14, Chapter 246 - Motor Vehicles :: 2019 Connecticut General Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
Old 03-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

As it happens we are currently working on a fitment for the 992 TTS that will work on vehicles equipped both with front cameras and those with Adaptive Cruise Control. We expect a market ready product by May 2021.
AtTheGlen (04-18-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:36 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carbonio
As it happens we are currently working on a fitment for the 992 TTS that will work on vehicles equipped both with front cameras and those with Adaptive Cruise Control. We expect a market ready product by May 2021.
That would be good news - will it be compatible with the 992TTS Sport Design Package?
Thank you.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:40 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it will work with all of the optional bumpers including the Sport Design Package bumper
peterdouglas (03-25-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 812 Posts

Nope. I would never ruin the aesthetic of this car, if didn’t have to. It’s required in Illinois, but most of the time nobody enforces it
Patriot (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:46 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 96 Posts

There is an entirely separate thread on a no drill mount for the 992. Carbonio makes them but there is an easier and much cheaper low tech solution that I posted on the thread concerning the Carbonio mount. Suggest you take a look at that.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:00 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 280 Posts

Front license plates are required in Texas. I didn’t have one in my Panamera and got stopped and warned twice. Third time I was stopped, officer gave me a ticket. So I put one on.

I refuse to put one on my 992, and I haven’t been stopped yet after 6k miles and 19 months.
Tupper (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 08:14 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 812 Posts

^ Yeah, I have front plates on my other two cars as well.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:16 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rdv
There is an entirely separate thread on a no drill mount for the 992. Carbonio makes them but there is an easier and much cheaper low tech solution that I posted on the thread concerning the Carbonio mount. Suggest you take a look at that.
Would be helpful to post a link here.
bagel (04-28-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe others have mentioned this before....... I have the standard factory plastic front plate mount for my 2021 C2S that came with the car when I bought it. When you hold it in place with your hand or tape to the front bumper in its specified mounting spot, there are two small plastic tabs on the bottom of the plastic mount that extend backwards about 1-2 inches. This is similar to the license plate mount on my old 997. So, same as the 997 mount, I used a small drill, and drilled UP through those two small tabs, into the BOTTOM of the bumper. The holes are impossible to see unless you lay down on the ground on your back and look for them. Then, you take two small self tapping screws and screw them UP through the tabs and voila your license plate mount is mounted, and reasonably secure - at least enough to drive it on the highway, etc. I live in Virginia, where front plates are required. So what I did is already attach the license plate to the plastic mount, and I carry the mounted license plate in the frunk along with a small baggy with two screws and a small screwdriver and a towel. If I get pulled over, I tell the officer I can fix it now if he will give me 5 minutes. I pull out the towel, lay it on the ground, lay on my back, screw on the mounted plate, thank the officer for his patience, and then motor on my way. I pull the plate off when I get home and toss in back into the frunk. All of these expensive and fancy mounts are not needed, and this way the mounted plate does not interfere with the ACC or the parking sensors or anything else. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Here are some photos of the low-tech solution. This is not rocket science folks. As long as you are careful and can drill a straight hole with a tiny 1/16 inch drill bit you are in business..... Good luck.
Cheers.
Ross

reyesanders (03-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate?