which finger is that?
lol it's not the middle one.
The following users liked this post:
RG88 (02-29-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 01:15 PM
gmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Fellow chi-towner here. I have not had a front plate for 14 years and 140k miles. Never got pulled over for a plate violation. However I did get a ticket every year or two, and only in the city of Chicago, if I was parked in a public area. One time even got a ticket while parked in the garage at OHare airport...that one peeved me. By contrast, no one in the suburbs seems to worry about it. At the end of the day, I treat the plate tickets as the "nice car tax". And speeding tickets are the "German car tax.". I pay taxes...
The following users liked this post:
Nismo240ssx (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 01:21 PM
zanary
Pro

Received 596 Likes on 284 Posts

So far, I've been looking at all sort of options, and this one is the least evasive solution and looks pretty nice compared to the tow hook one... Anyone have any feedback or opinions on this one?

https://carbonio.com/products/porsch...se-plate-mount
Old 03-01-2024, 01:57 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuller
Fellow chi-towner here. I have not had a front plate for 14 years and 140k miles. Never got pulled over for a plate violation. However I did get a ticket every year or two, and only in the city of Chicago, if I was parked in a public area. One time even got a ticket while parked in the garage at OHare airport...that one peeved me. By contrast, no one in the suburbs seems to worry about it. At the end of the day, I treat the plate tickets as the "nice car tax". And speeding tickets are the "German car tax.". I pay taxes...
You've been lucky! Do you live and work in the city?

I live in River North and also work nearby downtown and uptown, and I frequently got tickets for no front plates from meter maids, and sometimes would get pulled over and get tickets. If it was only a few tickets a year, then it would've been acceptable, but I counted 28 tickets for no front plate in just one year so I just got tired of it and stuck the plates on my cars using the stock mount with 3M VHB tape. I never had issues with no front plates in the suburbs though. I also park my cars inside a garage at home so all the tickets are from when I park them out in the wild, like when out doing errands or parked curbside at a meter or public garage/lot.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:06 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
You've been lucky! Do you live and work in the city?

I live in River North and also work nearby downtown and uptown, and I frequently got tickets for no front plates from meter maids, and sometimes would get pulled over and get tickets. If it was only a few tickets a year, then it would've been acceptable, but I counted 28 tickets for no front plate in just one year so I just got tired of it and stuck the plates on my cars using the stock mount with 3M VHB tape. I never had issues with no front plates in the suburbs though. I also park my cars inside a garage at home so all the tickets are from when I park them out in the wild, like when out doing errands or parked curbside at a meter or public garage/lot.
I also never got pulled over or ticketed in the suburbs, but it's not the same in the city.
In my opinion, most of the people in Chi-town who have never received a ticket in Chicago may either live in the suburbs, avoid parking on public streets in the city, or be very lucky.
This is because to parking enforcement crews, finding a car without a front plate is like finding money on the street.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:09 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zanary
So far, I've been looking at all sort of options, and this one is the least evasive solution and looks pretty nice compared to the tow hook one... Anyone have any feedback or opinions on this one?

https://carbonio.com/products/porsch...se-plate-mount
This may be a good option for some people, but I wouldn't want to mount and unmount it frequently. For example, When I drive to a restaurant and leave it to a valet; I would't want to ask them to wait while I put a plate on it.

Last edited by macgom; 03-01-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:36 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

No, never.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by macgom
This may be a good option for some people, but I wouldn't want to mount and unmount it frequently. For example, When I drive to a restaurant and leave it to a valet; I would't want to ask them to wait while I put a plate on it.
Definitely not even an option for me. Even with FAL engaged, a 992S with regular PASM just barely scrapes at the bottom of the ramp at my home garage. No room for carbonio mount to make it without possibly getting ripped off (no ACC install). I ordered FAL, but on a T with S-PASM which is even 10mm lower, so I should still be fine… I hope.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:45 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

In NJ, I’ve been pulled over ~5X in 15 years. One ticket.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:07 PM
Nismo240ssx
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuller
Same here for the rare times I stoo my car in the curb. The ORD one got me as well, turns out it's a city garage and hence patrolled to write tickets. I stopped driving to the airport.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 PM
gmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo240ssx
Same here for the rare times I stoo my car in the curb. The ORD one got me as well, turns out it's a city garage and hence patrolled to write tickets. I stopped driving to the airport.
I live in the 'burbs and rarely park on public streets in Chicago, thus the low ticket count. When i drive to the office I park in the building garage. The front plate enforcement is an aggravating money grab by the city and has nothing to do with public safety or ensuring that motorists are accountable for obeying traffic rules. Even red light cameras only rely on rear license plates. And yes, if I received 28 missing plate tickets in a year, I might be willing to deface the front end of my car too. Sorry you have to deal with that!
Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 AM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
In NJ, I’ve been pulled over ~5X in 15 years. One ticket.
So you’re averaging one heart attack every three years. 😂

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate?