Do you have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 10:18 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
Misunderstood his description.

It is 80 lb magnet strength- total added weight to the front bumper is about 7lb.

That makes much more sense
The 7lbs you were quoted for magnet weight seems way off, to me. I didn't weigh the magnets I installed on my 991.2 but my guess is that they weighed ~1.5lbs.

Jason
Old 05-04-2021, 11:12 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
The 7lbs you were quoted for magnet weight seems way off, to me. I didn't weigh the magnets I installed on my 991.2 but my guess is that they weighed ~1.5lbs.

Jason

i am assuming they are including the license plate bracket which also has the opposing magnets. That magnet on the plate bracket looked quite hefty, it does not appear to be < 1.5lb
Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by GodzillaFknell
Fww, my wife and I came back from the airport Saturday night at 10:30, to find our MacTur had been impounded by Denver county sheriff for unpaid front plate violations. The tickets were issued solely for plate violation, nothing else, while parked on-street here in Denver.

Total? A bit north of $1100. Yes.
one thousand one hundred dollars. No appeals. No reductions. The fines keep “doubling” the clerk tells me. That was 5 tickets. The initial violations cost $90 😱
I live in Denver and back in 2001-2002 I had my share of issues with Denver parking when I would park my A4 which did not have a front plate bracket. I got about 6 tickets back then at $25 each from the same meter maid every time I stayed the night at my girlfriend's house near Cheesman park. Finally I used some really strong double sided tape to put the front plate bracket on my bumper. For my incoming 992 I plan to order the Carbonio Plate Mount for when I need a plate. https://carbonio.com/products/porsch...se-plate-mount
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I have not rocked a front plate in many years here in SOCAL. I have been busted for it a couple times though. But that was for speeding or dark tinted front windows that they pulled me over for and THEN added the no front plate to the mix. Otherwise, they don't seem to pull me over for no front plate.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:38 PM
BOPE
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPE View Post

Jason
i am assuming they are including the license plate bracket which also has the opposing magnets. That magnet on the plate bracket looked quite hefty, it does not appear to be < 1.5lb

Not to belabor the point, but my front license plate bracket, license plate and four (4) rare earth magnets weigh 10.2 ounces.

Jason
Old 05-04-2021, 07:34 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

Not running a front plate in places where its required gives cops the right to pull you over for anything. Its not too hard to inadvertently be over the legal alcohol limit and find yourself getting a DUI instead of just a license plate violation.
The following 2 users liked this post by onedae:
Farvin (04-20-2022), Flashart (01-22-2022)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 PM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by onedae
Not running a front plate in places where its required gives cops the right to pull you over for anything. Its not too hard to inadvertently be over the legal alcohol limit and find yourself getting a DUI instead of just a license plate violation.
I agree.

Jason
Old 05-05-2021, 04:20 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I agree.

Jason
What??? So you have a front plate so you can drink and drive to or above the legal limit? Why not, not drink and drive and take your plate off? Your choice can cost your thousands of dollars and possibly jail time. While the other is a silly fix it ticket. I'll take my chances on the fix it ticket over being a driver that drinks to the legal limit or above it. Beside we have uber and lyft for those heavy drinking nights these days anyhow.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 05-05-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
AlterZgo (05-05-2021), detansinn (05-05-2021), drgav2005 (05-05-2021), lucycan (05-05-2021), siberian (05-05-2021), Tupper (05-06-2021), V999 (09-15-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Words of wisdom from BIGWORM

siberian
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I have run without front plates in California and Texas. Nobody cares.

In the northeast, states like Pennsylvania and Delaware don’t require front plates, so a car without a front plate gets zero attention from law enforcement in NJ, NY, etc. There are so many cars on the road without them around here, it doesn’t matter.

I understand that Virginia can be a pain, but Virginia sucks for cars in general — easily the worst state in the United States.

If you drive a nice car, you’re very likely going to get a pass. If you get a fix it ticket, you own a six figure car, suck it up.

If you’re worried that you’ll more likely get a DUI without a front plate, you suck at being an adult.

Last edited by detansinn; 05-06-2021 at 10:39 AM.
PBM (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 09:57 AM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you’re worried that you’ll more likely get a DUI with a front plate, you suck at being an adult.
Wow!

We're not talking about commode-hugging drunk, here.

However, it's conceivable that you could have two glasses of wine while eating dinner out with friends. Or, perhaps two beers after a game of golf. So on you way home you get pulled over for no front license plate and the cop smells the beer or the wine you just drank. So being a diligent cop he requests you to take a breath-analyzer test. Will two beers or two glasses of wine result in an over-the-limit result on the breath analyzer? I guess it depends, but I don't want to go through the exercise that was triggered by a missing front license plate.

Jason
Farvin (04-20-2022)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:16 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Prior to Ohio's recent repeal of the front plate requirement, this was not true in Ohio. There was a specific stipulation that required a "primary" offense in order for the front plate offense to be added (as a "secondary" offense).
In other words, it was explicit that you could not pull someone over and solely ticket them for a missing front license plate.

The law was repealed in July 2020, and I had not been running a front plate since 2017. I had even gotten pulled over before but never had any stink about a missing front plate.
detansinn (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:27 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Where I live, nobody pulls you over for no front plates. However, if they pull you over for something else you can get fined for that. That happened to me a few months back.

And drinking and driving is always a bad idea, so I’m not sure what he argument is there
detansinn (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:43 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow!

We're not talking about commode-hugging drunk, here.

However, it's conceivable that you could have two glasses of wine while eating dinner out with friends. Or, perhaps two beers after a game of golf. So on you way home you get pulled over for no front license plate and the cop smells the beer or the wine you just drank. So being a diligent cop he requests you to take a breath-analyzer test. Will two beers or two glasses of wine result in an over-the-limit result on the breath analyzer? I guess it depends, but I don't want to go through the exercise that was triggered by a missing front license plate.

Jason
Exactly Jason!
Some folks only capable of thinking (and judging) in extremes.... either not drink or get $hit-faced.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:15 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I just don't get why you would consciously decide to not use a front plate when there are viable options (carbonio, rhoplate, magnets). If it's illegal whether it's a primary or secondary offense why does it really matter?

I get not putting screws into the bumper, but you are already in a car that can attract attention. Why chance it when it's easily avoidable?

If you were one of my patients and gave me a BS answer about why you're still smoking after I spent the night trying to save your life you lose all credibility

Last edited by chong0; 05-06-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate?