Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 07:22 PM
FD9NY
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the STO N SHO license plate bracket today. Not difficult but fiddly. Needed to jack the front up to get underneath the nose. I know it's not level. I took the picture before I leveled the license plate

Last edited by FD9NY; 11-06-2020 at 07:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (11-06-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:20 PM
pyceasyas123
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

I picked up my 2021 spyder this weekend and found the same - they pre-drilled small pilot holes in the front bumper. Wasn't sure if this was done at the factory or the port. The other GT4 and Spyder in the showroom that arrived together with my car also had these pilot holes. Annoyed!!

Originally Posted by phefner
Yeah. Just picked up my GT4 and was told everything is coming in like that now. Even tough only YOU will notice, they are small and don't pierce the bumper. Its annoying all the same. Got some words for the Pencil Head at PAG who spec'd this.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 PM
nuporsche
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

After I started this thread I sat and thought about it and found a simple solution. I trimmed my license plate to to miss the parking sensors and the ACC camera. I then ran a simple all thread rod with a coupler and bolted it to the plate. Then drilled a small hole in the black ridged plastic pocket and placed a fender washer on front and back of the black ridged plastic and done. I've put over 2000 miles on the car with no issues with the parking sensors or the ACC. Total cost from Home Depot, $8.00 for 6 inch 1/4 inch all thread rod, 2 fender washers, a coupler and bolted the plate on. Piece of cake.

The following 2 users liked this post by nuporsche:
aggie57 (11-22-2020), G650 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:05 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

I never have front plates..I hate them and only once on my F80 M3 did I get pulled over for not having one. Stuck some double sided tape and took it to the police station, had them write the ticket off and took it off again once I got home. My previous P-car had front plates...it was an Autonation dealership and they brought up some bull about it being corporate policy and a state law so they have to drill holes. Otherwise, I usually sign the disclaimer and keep it moving without a front plate.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by nuporsche
After I started this thread I sat and thought about it and found a simple solution. I trimmed my license plate to to miss the parking sensors and the ACC camera. I then ran a simple all thread rod with a coupler and bolted it to the plate. Then drilled a small hole in the black ridged plastic pocket and placed a fender washer on front and back of the black ridged plastic and done. I've put over 2000 miles on the car with no issues with the parking sensors or the ACC. Total cost from Home Depot, $8.00 for 6 inch 1/4 inch all thread rod, 2 fender washers, a coupler and bolted the plate on. Piece of cake.
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, in my state they actually have legislation that specifies the size at 12" X 6". I've just never installed the front license plate if I didn't like how it looked. So far, I've never had an issue or a question from anyone. However, I DO carry them somewhere in the car, just in case.
"California Vehicle Code - Section 4850-4853 :: Article 7. License Plates
4852. (a) License plates issued for motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, shall be rectangular in shape, 12 inches in length and six inches in width. The number and letter characters on the plates shall have a minimum height of two and three-quarter inches, a minimum width of one and one-quarter inches, and a minimum spacing between characters of five-sixteenths of an inch."
AlexCeres (11-23-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Lately we have done really well with our new 992 No-Drill front license plate mount offering. It places the plate in the middle (rather than offset like a tow hook mount) and has a nice clean OEM like appearance. Best part is that you can take it on and off in seconds. Lots of our customers drive around with the plate off and if stopped tell the police that they forgot to put it on after washing and its a quick roadside fix with no ticket. The police will not accept a plate in the window or sun visor but our mount adheres to all international front plate display and mounting regulations meaning that the chances of getting a ticket are slim if you do a roadside fix.

Available at www.carbonio.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbonio:
mdrobc1213 (12-01-2020), txpackers (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Lately we have done really well with our new 992 No-Drill front license plate mount offering. It places the plate in the middle (rather than offset like a tow hook mount) and has a nice clean OEM like appearance. Best part is that you can take it on and off in seconds. Lots of our customers drive around with the plate off and if stopped tell the police that they forgot to put it on after washing and its a quick roadside fix with no ticket. The police will not accept a plate in the window or sun visor but our mount adheres to all international front plate display and mounting regulations meaning that the chances of getting a ticket are slim if you do a roadside fix.

Looks nice... have to check it out. Nice option but costly a bit.
GotShark? (02-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:27 AM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks great, but I have a concern/question. The bottom of the license plate is shown as located below the front lip of the car (which is already low). If the plate strikes an object (e.g., curb, or transition point between roadway and upward sloping driveway) will the lip be damaged, since the apparatus to hold the plate on is attached to the front and back part of the lower lip? Can the plate be mounted a bit higher up so that the bottom of the plate is even with the bottom of the lower lip?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

The attachment mechanism for the license plate in no way touches the front lip. It is entirely self-contained and grabs onto the bottom of the front bumper (a plane that is higher than the lowest edge of the front lip). The mechanism between the attachment and the plate is fully adjustable for reach, height, and angle allowing for a truly custom fit. That said the limiting factor is the lower lip on the bumper because it is necessary to come from under it to over it.

We have been fitting front plates in this fashion for over a decade in the Ferrari world where nose heights are generally lower and the cars have less protection. It has been a very popular mounting technique and praised by the Ferrari dealers worldwide many of which fit our mounts to all of their new deliveries. We are seeing similar acceptance from the Porsche dealers as we now begin to offer the same design ideas to the 992 community.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:46 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Does anybody have a picture of what front plate holder/bracket comes with the car from Porsche? Thx.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

The attachment mechanism for the license plate in no way touches the front lip. It is entirely self-contained and grabs onto the bottom of the front bumper (a plane that is higher than the lowest edge of the front lip). The mechanism between the attachment and the plate is fully adjustable for reach, height, and angle allowing for a truly custom fit. That said the limiting factor is the lower lip on the bumper because it is necessary to come from under it to over it.

We have been fitting front plates in this fashion for over a decade in the Ferrari world where nose heights are generally lower and the cars have less protection. It has been a very popular mounting technique and praised by the Ferrari dealers worldwide many of which fit our mounts to all of their new deliveries. We are seeing similar acceptance from the Porsche dealers as we now begin to offer the same design ideas to the 992 community.
Thanks for answering my questions. I'll likely be ordering one.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

In my province, drivers with good records get a 33% discount off auto insurance. Driving without a front plate is a "moving violation" which attracts a $300 fine and 2 demerit points, which knocks down the discount by 3% and takes 4 years to get rid of. My brother was adamant that he wouldn't put a front plate on his Corvette and kept getting fines and demerits until he put a plate on.

You do have another option in our province though. You can register as an auto dealer and then put a dealer plate on the back of the car and no front plate is required. But, you pay more for insurance and have to drive around with a D12345 (or similar) plate number on your car.

I gave in from the start and just put a front plate on. I don't really care about the holes in the bumper - the plate and bracket will always cover them anyway.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:55 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
In my province, drivers with good records get a 33% discount off auto insurance. Driving without a front plate is a "moving violation" which attracts a $300 fine and 2 demerit points, which knocks down the discount by 3% and takes 4 years to get rid of. My brother was adamant that he wouldn't put a front plate on his Corvette and kept getting fines and demerits until he put a plate on.

You do have another option in our province though. You can register as an auto dealer and then put a dealer plate on the back of the car and no front plate is required. But, you pay more for insurance and have to drive around with a D12345 (or similar) plate number on your car.

I gave in from the start and just put a front plate on. I don't really care about the holes in the bumper - the plate and bracket will always cover them anyway.
Can you post of picture of your front plate setup? Thx.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Carsten Doil
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

That's such a funny topic to follow for non-US people
In nearly every country a front license plate is mandatory, because so many legal/police, road toll and parking processes are needing them. Not to mention crossing any regional or country borders

Anyway, on my Cayman the front plate holder was big and ugly. To work around this, I used a special velcro tape that could be removed residue-free from the front bumper. No damage to the paintwork. Other P-car drivers here in Germany are using double-sided tape for outside mounting. Think there are some available than can be removed residue-free too.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:25 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Magnets

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate?