Sponsored by:

Coding 992

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:40 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Please post the link for everyone's enlightenment.

siberian
Old 10-17-2021, 02:17 PM
jh87
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Yes this is all very confusing and to set your mind at ease it gets worse as you follow along.

So the question is how good are your IT skills, do you have a PC or Mac (or Linux) etc. that will decide really what path you'll probably follow.

In my case I just have a very old PC XP SP2 that I only use for my VAG-COM analyzer. I don't have any other PCs. So I would have to (I thought) run in emulation and thereby save my recently retired mid 2012 MBP and put it to good use. Given some new options in discussing with fellow members perhaps a cheap used PC would be the way to go replacing the the drive.

Next, downloading vs ordering a ready made drive. Given my very slow network speed downloading 90GB took a day and after one thing and another not working (dealing with the MAC environment), I simply asked Alex to send me an SSD with everything in it, registered et al. For this there's an added 90 odd bucks charge (drive, labor and postage) and you'll get a SATA 3 2.5" SSD.

You still need to get the VAS6154 (the VCI or dongle or OBD2 connector) with the correct version (1.6.6.0). You can get those from China or I presume Alex can get it for you, I don't know about that.

So the 300 euro version is for the previous latest or v 38.x.x and that will work for all up to 991s. If you want to also have what works on the 992s or what the dealers have, that cost is a dual version including v38.x.x and v 40.x.x

So yes this is for the software and you can download it and using Macrium unbundle it and install it on your PC or run VMWare Fusion or Pararallels or Boot Camp and run under emulation.

Hope I've answered your questions.

siberian
Thanks a lot
my next question
regarding the dual version. I am confused by reading comments from different uses of THIS thread. for example
from post # 214 "SO my PIWIS III 39.9 arrived. DON'T BOTHER. You can change hardly anything.
The older versions are better. It also ships with 38.5, which allows for more functional coding
."
from post #232 "I have 38.2 that works for coding and 39.7 that don't ."
from post #239 "The dual-boot aspect of the newer PIWIS clones seems important. Wasn't there someone who initially used 38.2 to code their 992, with 39.7 not working, and then, after a trip to the dealer where the software was reflashed, the opposite was true? They could no longer use 38.2 due to the closed-loop connection requirement with the mother ship, but 39.7 started working?"

So it seems to me it is not necessary the latest version works better than older version. I do not find anyone confirmed version 40.xx works on 992
Do you concur that?
what version I should get from BelAuto?
As for the china laptop package, none of them mention support of 992 officially on their the websites. can anyone confirm which package works?

thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 05:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, and as I mentioned above, if you have a 992, version 40.500.x is the one for the 2021 992. If you have other Porsches in your stable I don't know what year or what to recommend, but it seems Launch works with the 991s. Lastly the 40.500.x was confirmed by belauto

I don't know what your IT skill levels are nor what you have at home. We're a MAC home so trying to run this in emulation were just in the end too many hoops to jump through. I opted to order as I mentioned, a complete SSD from belauto and then bought a used Lenovo Yoga which I will remove the hard drive and replace it with the SSD I ordered (yes, it supports SATA 3 2.5" SSD which is what they're sending me).

China has v 38 on a Panansonic or other Lenovo available up to v 38 for about $1,500 bucks and you can download version 40 from vxdas thereafter (again depending on bandwidth something to consider). I prefer dealing with belauto as his CS and responsiveness is first class,

However PLEASE READ: I've not received either the laptop nor the SSD thus I can only relay what I was told. I have THEREFORE NOT tested v 40.500 on my 992. However I trust that belauto would not mislead folks - it would be the best way to go out of "business". Be that as it may, I have not confirmed it but v 40.500 is the latest one.

siberian
Old 11-11-2021, 02:34 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by krburrell
John, finally had a chance to play around and do some coding last weekend. I have the Launch X431 V+ Pros Mini which I purchased new from ebay for $640. I also have a PIWIS III clone V38.90 that i purchased from obd2tool for $1325. I purchased the Launch X431 V+ with the intent of using it to flash a used control module for my car. When I discovered that the Launch X431 V+ could not do that I purchased a PIWIS III clone with the intention of selling the Launch X431 V+ but I have not got around to selling it yet because it is so much easier to use then the PIWIS III.
Here is what I have done so far with each one. I got the idea for most of these from the Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 forum.

Launch X431 V+ :
  • Cleared all the fault codes stored in the car.
  • Activated the Aux setting in PCM (PCM/CDR) I had to add an aux cable to the PCM to make use of this one.
  • Changed the number of flashes for one touch turn signal from 3 to 5 (Front-end Electronics)
  • Activated Comfort entry windows up/down via keyfob (Front-end Electronics)
  • Changed the speed when the doors auto lock, 3 mph to 20 mph (Front-end electronics)
  • Changed the speed when the rear PCM camera turns off, 10 mph to 5 mph (Park Assist)
  • Turned off the seat belt chime, Acoustic Belt Warning (Not USA, not Canada) (Instrument Cluster)
  • Reset oil change and services intervals (Instrument Cluster)
  • Programmed car for new Lithium-Ion Battery (Gateway) (I later changed back to the AGM battery coding because the antigravity folks said this was not needed)
  • Changed the country code of the PDLS Plus lights and activated the High Beam Assistant feature (which was not available in the US or Canada)

PIWIS III:
  • Cleared all the fault codes stored in the car (it had some faults that the Launch X431 V+ did not find)
  • Ran the oil fill function after my last oil change and it told me exactly how much oil to add to reach the full mark. (this was almost worth the price of the tool alone)
  • Updated the PCM software. I did this by mistake. It can only update the PCM to the latest software version available for for the V 38.90 version of the PIWIS since it is a clone and not hooked into Porsche.
I don't think the Launch X431 V+ work with the 992 but the PIWIS III version I have does have a section for the 992 and the PIWIS can do everything the Launch X431 V+ can do except most of the coding is in Germany.

I think most folks on this thread are interested in the full LED-Matrix anti-dazzle functionality. If it is as easy as the 991, it is only a couple of code changes. The reason I think that most folks hold this close to the vest for Porsche is because there are literally thousands of settings you can change on the 991 and probably 10 to 100 times more on the 992. The software is very complex and it is easy to screw something up by changing the wrong code. Also this is not very exciting. While programming the car I have to hook it up to a separate high amp power supply to keep the battery from running down and I have spent many hours siting in the car scrolling through a long list of settings trying to figure out what to change.
Changed the speed when the rear PCM camera turns off, 10 mph to 5 mph (Park Assist)

Did this work for you? I tried changing it and my surround view still switches off at the same speed? Maybe you can share the exact bit you changed?
The following 2 users liked this post by don16:
911TurboRules (02-19-2023), peterdouglas (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 03:39 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@krburrell , what version are you running on x431? I've got 23.85 and though it sees the 992 it can't write to it. Meaning you can select the variable you want changed but when you want to write back it says write failed. It also states in the release notes 991 and not 992.

siberian
Old 12-01-2021, 03:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Small change, tip of the speedometer in red
I know it's a year old, but just catching up here, what parameter enables speed limit onto speedometer screen? Just found the disable airbag warning you mentioned, thanx John

siberian
Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

I know it's a year old, but just catching up here, what parameter enables speed limit onto speedometer screen? Just found the disable airbag warning you mentioned, thanx John

siberian
I think you can try to activate it under the F7 menu if you don't have that optioned in your car. I tried in the cayenne that doesn't have it (although it has the front camera), it did not work. Maybe it will on the 911?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Can't see anything obvious in Additional Menus, will try Kombi, thanx!

siberian
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 PM
jh87
Track Day

did anyone successfully disable auto start/stop function on 992? I know people did it on other models, but I haven't found any proof that anyone actually did it on 992.
I am able to change the status to inactive under DME, but once restart engine, it is back to active again
tried to change start-stop-lastMode, but error in writing.

Last edited by jh87; 12-02-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jh87
did anyone successfully disable auto start/stop function on 992? I know people did it on other models, but I haven't found any proof that anyone actually did it on 992.
I am able to change the status to inactive under DME, but once restart engine, it is back to active again
tried to change last mode, but error in writing.

Doing the F7 route it works. I had it off for a while until the dealer "upgraded" the software few months back all my coding went away at that time. I have not tried to re-do it.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:43 PM
jh87
Track Day

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Doing the F7 route it works. I had it off for a while until the dealer "upgraded" the software few months back all my coding went away at that time. I have not tried to re-do it.
the F7 for 992 is different than other models. it doesn't have the start/stop 7L8 option. how did you do it?

Old 12-02-2021, 11:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jh87
the F7 for 992 is different than other models. it doesn't have the start/stop 7L8 option. how did you do it?

My PIWIS shows that, or used to. Maybe it's the MY (20). I'll plug it in the next couple of days and report back.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:01 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes please as there seem to be several marked differences between the MY20 and 21s.

siberian
Old 12-03-2021, 11:13 AM
jh87
Track Day

Yes please as there seem to be several marked differences between the MY20 and 21s.

siberian
but I am running the PIWIS stimulation mode under 992, there is no option for MY20 vs MY21. The start/stop 7L8 item simply not there, for both 38.2 and 40.6. Can anyone with piwis confirm that?
Old 12-03-2021, 03:24 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_911
done
Would you please pm link?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Coding 992