Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:45 PM
gpman25
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!
I'm curious, did everyone pay MSRP for their orders? I'm about to put in my demand order this week.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:53 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by gpman25
Congrats!
I'm curious, did everyone pay MSRP for their orders? I'm about to put in my demand order this week.
I would be surprised if you get much of a discount on a Targa, they are somewhat rare. Good luck but Porsche has a way of just making you feel good about getting a Targa build slot.
The following users liked this post:
gpman25 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM
mobilis
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats!
I did not pay MSRP but I have a buying history with my dealer - this was my 5th 911.
gpman25 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:31 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts

Ordered months ago with a minor discount. For what it is worth, with a manual transmission "Best car ever"
The following 2 users liked this post by brucewinter:
gpman25 (03-24-2021), Tedster (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:36 PM
gpman25
Track Day

Is the 'wind noise' (Helmholtz Resonance) a real issue when driving top down?
Old 03-24-2021, 02:38 PM
mobilis
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Is the 'wind noise' (Helmholtz Resonance) a real issue when driving top down?
I really don't notice it personally because I am not paying attention to it. As Bruce says the car is so cool and wonderful to drive that I am rarely bothered by it.
gpman25 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:45 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I paid MSRP -- probably could have gotten a $1,000 off or so -- as the dealer offered to ship the car to my home for free which would have cost them a $1,000.

On the wind noise-- I know on Youtube these reviewers like to complain about wind noise-- and the buffeting -- but on my car I don't have any issue with noise that seems unusual or buffeting etc.

You get some back wind on your neck as some air gets caught the Targa back window but not a big deal --- and I found that there was more wind noise a bit with the windshield deflector in the up position;

I get a tiny amount of reduced wind sounds if I put the two windows down an inch but really it is in my opinion- very pleasant for a convertible style car and all these reviewers are just being silly to complain about wind noise in the 922 Targa. They are comparing this to a couple with the windows rolled up?

THe only bitch I have about the car that surprised me was that there are not any memory buttons to preserve the passenger seat settings for two people.

A $150,000 plus car and Porsche cheaped out on the memory buttons for the passenger seat on the 14 way seat upgrade?

The lane keep works fine for me -- despite some reviewers on Youtube saying it doesn't work. It works well on my car.

Other annoying thing was that I can't operate the top from outside the car with the remote control fob. The reviewers on Youtube were given a European spec car they flew over for these reviews and in Europe the top does operate with the FOB.

I am driving my Targa 4 to a company engineer that builds modules to fix this problem and they needed a 992 Targa to test their module on this new model.

You push the lock button three times and it opens the top without holding down a button.

I will post a video of this upgrade working -- no wire cutting -- just snap into place they claim--
i got the 19" and 20" wheels that are standard for the Targa 4 -- I am glad I did -- it rides hard enough on these wheels and tires and the 20"'21" would ride harder with less rubber. They are the same outside diameter just less steel and more rubber on the 19"/20" setup.

Tire pressure made a large difference in road feel and noise as well.
Touch screen gets very dirty -- I am trying to use the push and turn **** to select screen options--
gpman25 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:38 PM
gpman25
Track Day

Thank you for the write up!
Here is my build http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMZ2LF9
Any recommendations for a dealer in SoCal?
mobilis (03-24-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Regarding the buffeting, I find that it's an issue with the top down and side windows all the way up. Fortunately, I never drive it that way. If top's down, so are the windows... But even with the windows down 1/4 of the way the buffeting is gone - or certainly well below a level that grabs my attention.
gpman25 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

BTW - I love your build. That color combination was on my list, and ended up going with GT silver/slate gray+chalk. Only question I have is why the black stone protection film versus standard clear? The black over dark blue doesn't provide a contrast and it breaks up the beautiful night blue color of the car. Personal preference of course - just asking'......
Old 03-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Has anyone driven the Targa with and without PDCC?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:38 PM
gpman25
Track Day

Originally Posted by Targa32
I paid MSRP -- probably could have gotten a $1,000 off or so -- as the dealer offered to ship the car to my home for free which would have cost them a $1,000.

On the wind noise-- I know on Youtube these reviewers like to complain about wind noise-- and the buffeting -- but on my car I don't have any issue with noise that seems unusual or buffeting etc.

You get some back wind on your neck as some air gets caught the Targa back window but not a big deal --- and I found that there was more wind noise a bit with the windshield deflector in the up position;

I get a tiny amount of reduced wind sounds if I put the two windows down an inch but really it is in my opinion- very pleasant for a convertible style car and all these reviewers are just being silly to complain about wind noise in the 922 Targa. They are comparing this to a couple with the windows rolled up?

THe only bitch I have about the car that surprised me was that there are not any memory buttons to preserve the passenger seat settings for two people.

A $150,000 plus car and Porsche cheaped out on the memory buttons for the passenger seat on the 14 way seat upgrade?

The lane keep works fine for me -- despite some reviewers on Youtube saying it doesn't work. It works well on my car.

Other annoying thing was that I can't operate the top from outside the car with the remote control fob. The reviewers on Youtube were given a European spec car they flew over for these reviews and in Europe the top does operate with the FOB.

I am driving my Targa 4 to a company engineer that builds modules to fix this problem and they needed a 992 Targa to test their module on this new model.

You push the lock button three times and it opens the top without holding down a button.

I will post a video of this upgrade working -- no wire cutting -- just snap into place they claim--
i got the 19" and 20" wheels that are standard for the Targa 4 -- I am glad I did -- it rides hard enough on these wheels and tires and the 20"'21" would ride harder with less rubber. They are the same outside diameter just less steel and more rubber on the 19"/20" setup.

Tire pressure made a large difference in road feel and noise as well.
Touch screen gets very dirty -- I am trying to use the push and turn **** to select screen options--
Originally Posted by dgtarga
BTW - I love your build. That color combination was on my list, and ended up going with GT silver/slate gray+chalk. Only question I have is why the black stone protection film versus standard clear? The black over dark blue doesn't provide a contrast and it breaks up the beautiful night blue color of the car. Personal preference of course - just asking'......
Good questions, I just added that thinking it compliments the black targa bar, but I'm not 100% on it.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:05 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

I had not noticed that you had the Targa Bar in black.... with dark car and black roof I really like the contrast of the silver Targa bar. Breaks up the dark tone of the top (the back glass has a very dark appearance too). Just another two cents worth...
Old 03-25-2021, 02:58 PM
markanth
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

May I add.... I do not find that buffeting is an issue. I had windows up all the way and top off last night in -btw temperatures in the low 50's- I find it totally fine.
gpman25 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:35 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I had not noticed that you had the Targa Bar in black.... with dark car and black roof I really like the contrast of the silver Targa bar. Breaks up the dark tone of the top (the back glass has a very dark appearance too). Just another two cents worth...
DG...you car looks amazing! Can you comment on living with the lowered car...more particularly the ride quality on the Techart springs now that you’ve lived with it for a month or so now?

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice