Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 193 Posts

Have you discussed with anyone that has PDCC? I think it's fabulous. I sold my 2019 991.2 GTS when I ordered my Targa and the difference in ride is amazing. The 18 way seats on the 992 seem improved to me also, perhaps a bit wider but I haven't measured. I just know they are a whole lot more comfortable than they were on my GTS. And for what it's worth I never look at my visors, but to each his own.

Last edited by Muhney; 02-26-2021 at 02:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jrseltzer (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:14 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Not much difference between the S and Base Targa. something like 60 hp and larger brake rotors. Neither are needed. The base Targa on a dyno puts out 414 hp-- more than enough for mountain leisurely drives and cruising down the freeway at 75 mph. Despite the rumors the base Targa can cruise at 75 just as long as the S model. Both have staggered wheels. Base has 19' and 20" -- and the S 1" larger. the smaller rims leave more rubber on the tire so it tides smoother. The outside diameter of the entire tire is the same tread to tread. I guess I am realistic at 70 about how and what I will use in a sports car-- no track use ever-- and lots of weekend drives to a restaurant by the sea. IF I was a speed guy -- why buy the Targa at all-- buy the coupe.
No right decision - Porsche is the most accommodating car company around -- they make lots of basic configurations to select from and also have zillions of options. Kind of like a great House of Ill repute for guys in need of a Sports car itch scratched. They will almost do anything for some additional dollars.
Another thought--
How about the black paint and the dipped Bordeax red interior?
Old 02-25-2021, 06:52 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

I'm glad you're happy with your Targa 4. Sounds like you would have been equally happy with a Lexus. 60 HP in a 3500lb car is a lot of difference. I wanted the GTS but didn't want to wait as after owning 5 previous 911's I was always smitten by Targa's and did not want to wait 1 year for the GTS trim.
Glad you saved money on your car by excluding options. My order was never about the $$ more about knowing exactly what I wanted. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think you will ever convince a Porsche crazed purist that a 4 is equal and in some cases better than an S. Not close but either way enjoy your car.

Last edited by Muhney; 02-25-2021 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgtarga (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:01 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
I'm glad you're happy with your Targa 4. Sounds like you would have been equally happy with a Lexus. 60 HP in a 3500lb car is a lot of difference. I wanted the GTS but didn't want to wait as after owning 5 previous 911's I was always smitten by Targa's and did not want to wait 1 year for the GTS trim.
Glad you saved money on your car by excluding options. My order was never about the $$ more about knowing exactly what I wanted. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think you will ever convince a Porsche crazed purist that a 4 is equal and in some cases better than an S. Not close but either way enjoy your car.
Ditto.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrseltzer
Build freeze nearing and have decided to change from Agate Grey to GR ( last 4 vehicles have been grey/black) with these options: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMLBM7F7. Any feedback welcome. Still not sure...
A very nice build. Don't think you can go wrong with this. Am also entertained a bit by posts that offer (one's version of) the TRUTH as opposed to opinion. Suffice it to say there are few "bad" choices. And the selections have little to do with "need" vs. "want." I'd offer a few opinions that are based on personal experience with my Targa 4S and some previous 911s.

The aluminum shifter is a nice upgrade, and there have been posts about cracks in the "Braun shaver" standard shifter. It's a little taller too, which doesn't hurt.
PDCC is awesome. I know others comment that it isn't "needed" and that ride can feel artificial. I had RAS and PDCC on my previous TTS (standard), so ordered both for my Targa because I didn't want to sacrifice anything from the handling.
Saw a previous recommendation on silver Targa bar. I personally like the contrast that provides, especially with a darker car and with the black top. The back glass has a pretty dark appearance to it, and with the black top a silver bar would stand out and provide contrast. Personal preference of course but a consideration.
The sport design package is such a personal preference thing that if that's what you prefer, don't listen to detractors. Personally, I have it (with the side skirts too) and definitely prefer it over the standard - especially the front end. I just do not care for the look of the standard front end on the 992.

For what it's worth..... Enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
jrseltzer (02-26-2021), Muhney (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:58 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

I contacted my dealer today and asked about a Targa 4S allocation. While they don't have one yet, he mentioned he should know more in the next week or two. There are two on the list, but I may be able to jump ahead since this would be my 4th car from the dealership. Thinking really hard about this, but wondering if I should just hold off for a 22 model since my C2 turned 1 this month and has less than 3k miles. Decisions.... !!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:23 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I contacted my dealer today and asked about a Targa 4S allocation. While they don't have one yet, he mentioned he should know more in the next week or two. There are two on the list, but I may be able to jump ahead since this would be my 4th car from the dealership. Thinking really hard about this, but wondering if I should just hold off for a 22 model since my C2 turned 1 this month and has less than 3k miles. Decisions.... !!
Yes, I was originally disappointed that my dealer didn’t have a sooner allocation but now thinking it could be okay (#22). I have another dealership that’s also going to let me know in a few weeks and wonder if the allocations roll out for all the dealers at the same time.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:40 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slwong23
You may end up with a MY '22 anyway, considering the timing and how tight the allocations are for Targas. My understanding from my SM (from discussions last June/July when first 992 Targa allocations were were distributed) is that blocks of allocations are released monthly - early in the month - and dealers are notified at the same time. Not all models have allocations provided each month, and how allocations are distributed is not entirely clear, even to the dealers. Apparently the area rep has some influence on those decisions. For mine, we had notified the area rep very early in the process (before any allocations out) and he committed his first to us - which he delivered on. I'm sure there's a lot of horse trading behind the scenes.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

You have a great car now. If I was set on having a Targa and in your situation I would wait for the GTS to be available which should be in the next 6 months. Good luck, I couldn't be happier with my Targa.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yes, I was originally disappointed that my dealer didn’t have a sooner allocation but now thinking it could be okay (#22). I have another dealership that’s also going to let me know in a few weeks and wonder if the allocations roll out for all the dealers at the same time.
Targas tend to be rare, thats why they seem to hold their value better than other 911 trims. If I was in the market for one now I would probably wait for the GTS to come out. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:13 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Muhney
Targas tend to be rare, thats why they seem to hold their value better than other 911 trims. If I was in the market for one now I would probably wait for the GTS to come out. Good luck.
Yes, that's good plan since it looks like it will be a long time before allocation. Basically, if you want a GTS version it's best to get on the list now, lol.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yes, that's good plan since it looks like it will be a long time before allocation. Basically, if you want a GTS version it's best to get on the list now, lol.
I've never understood the charm and allure of the Targa. I have no desire for it, and don't quite get why they are so popular.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I've never understood the charm and allure of the Targa. I have no desire for it, and don't quite get why they are so popular.
Yes, people say the wind noise is bad, it's heavy, the dynamics aren't as great, and so on. I can't write for others, but for me, driving down a country road with the top down is exhilarating unto itself - more sensory input. My C2S is already way more car than I can handle, so added weight, etc., really have no bearing on me. One of my favorite cars I sold a few years ago was a '63 Spitfire 4 - I think it had 60 hp? I grew up in the PA mountains with sports cars - love the top down, and the Targa gives a bit less openness of a convertible.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:46 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
And a lot of folks absolutely love them. Go figure.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
And a lot of folks absolutely love them. Go figure.
I do think the 991 and 992 Targa mechanism is an engineering marvel and the rear roof looks amazing when it is in the suspended back position, but I suppose my issue is I have never cared for the Targa bar. I am also not a Cab guy or a sunroof guy. Not spec'ing a sunroof on my build, though I have thought about it for light only, I don't like how it changes the roof from body color. And while I have a cab now, I can't wait to sell it as my 992 will be a coupe. But like you said, everyone has their taste. I don't criticize those who love the Cabs and Targas, just not me.

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice