992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 09:00 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
https://url.emailprotection.link/?bG...SseIfi-1531A~~

watch this YouTube video on installing these replacement window front corner pieces on a 992 to stop the wind buffeting noise. I don’t know if these work or not but a cheap solution.

I will have to try them on my car when it arrives in February. Porsche should fix this issue given the price tag and given their claim to superior engineering and attention to detail.

my thought was perhaps some sort of small screen behind the passenger and drivers seat - like on the cabriolet- might help.
Have seen that - it seems to be directed at a different issue since the buffeting with the Targa (windows up) is like blowing across the top of a soda bottle - see attached - rather than the issue of buffeting with one window down. In the video, Henry describes it in more scientific detail, but doesn't bother trying things with the windows down. As shown in this video, Porsche has attempted to address this with a plastic wind deflector that pops up at the top of the windshield when the Targa top is lowered. It helps some but also creates its own wind noise and looks kind of goofy.

Last edited by dgtarga; 12-24-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:05 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I would think Porsche with all their engineering talent would solve the problem somehow effectively. Maybe a little wing that popped up at the front of the rear roll bar might disrupt the wind flow. Building a small simulator of this coke bottle problem would let them find a solution for the targa.

they have their fancy wind tunnel they seem very proud of in the factory videos - why have they not used this toy to solve an obvious issue mentioned by every reviewer of the 992 Targa.

with my car finishing build on Xmas day any new fix won’t be in my car so I guess it is a little late for all of us with 2021 cars on order or in our garage already.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

I would think Porsche with all their engineering talent would solve the problem somehow effectively. Maybe a little wing that popped up at the front of the rear roll bar might disrupt the wind flow. Building a small simulator of this coke bottle problem would let them find a solution for the targa.

they have their fancy wind tunnel they seem very proud of in the factory videos - why have they not used this toy to solve an obvious issue mentioned by every reviewer of the 992 Targa.

with my car finishing build on Xmas day any new fix won’t be in my car so I guess it is a little late for all of us with 2021 cars on order or in our garage already.
It's Physics. You can't prevent airflow when a window is down, same with a Targa or Cabrio. I didn't buy this car because it was quiet. We can always turn up the radio.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:51 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Agree. I had C5 and C6 Corvettes back in the day and there was some buffeting with the T-top off if windows were up. Nobody seemed to make such a big deal out of it like some do with the Targa. As mentioned earlier, even with the windows down a bit the buffeting is markedly reduced.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:58 PM
mobilis
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Agree. I had C5 and C6 Corvettes back in the day and there was some buffeting with the T-top off if windows were up. Nobody seemed to make such a big deal out of it like some do with the Targa. As mentioned earlier, even with the windows down a bit the buffeting is markedly reduced.
Yes, cracking the windows down a bit will reduce the noise (as the fishbowl shape is altered). Even staggering the height of the windows should help.

If you like to drive with the windows down, installing something like the AWE foiler wind diffuser will help.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:00 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts
Default When will I receive my production photo? Build completed December 8, 2020

Old 12-25-2020, 12:23 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default Sudden change in dates....

Well I was excited that the website notes production on my Targa would complete on Dec. 25 and this morning after watching the days count down to 1 — the days jumped back to 35 days To Jan. 29th and my delivery to dealer date slipped from Feb 26 to March 26th! Originally the delivery date to dealer was Feb. 18th.

is this typical? All these dates slipping? So it appears the car was not even in the factory even though the site was counting down the days to production completed all the way to zero days left.

Perhaps they closed the factory again because of the virus problem?

disappointing ....

Old 12-25-2020, 03:14 PM
TJJ
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I was excited that the website notes production on my Targa would complete on Dec. 25 and this morning after watching the days count down to 1 — the days jumped back to 35 days To Jan. 29th and my delivery to dealer date slipped from Feb 26 to March 26th! Originally the delivery date to dealer was Feb. 18th.

is this typical? All these dates slipping? So it appears the car was not even in the factory even though the site was counting down the days to production completed all the way to zero days left.

Perhaps they closed the factory again because of the virus problem?

disappointing ....

That happened to me as well. My estimated production completed date came and then TYD pushed out all future milestones by about 30-45 days. The good news is that production ended up completing only 2 weeks past the original estimate. The big variable is which ship you will end up on as that can either shorten or lengthen the estimate. It will come soon!
Old 12-25-2020, 04:10 PM
mobilis
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TJJ
That happened to me as well. My estimated production completed date came and then TYD pushed out all future milestones by about 30-45 days. The good news is that production ended up completing only 2 weeks past the original estimate. The big variable is which ship you will end up on as that can either shorten or lengthen the estimate. It will come soon!
same experience
Old 12-25-2020, 06:37 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by TJJ
The dates do jump around while your car is being assembled — possibly due to COVID slowing everyone down. My car (TTS) went from 12/4 completion to 1/15, before jumping back to 12/11 and actually completing on 12/10. Keep an eye out on TYD over the next couple of weeks and your dates might just move back.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:06 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

That looks awesome.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:32 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default My specs on my Targa 4 that has slipped back from Feb 18 to March 26

Here is my specs - and my regrets are not ordering the 1) chalk rings on the tech and the chrono 2) not ordering the 933 turbo stitching on the doors and seats, 3) not ordering the fire extinguisher ( just looks cool for not much money), should have ordered the spyder wheels now that I looked up the cost of four forged wheels $8,000 plus which makes the price on the configurator of about half that actually seem reasonable.

I had this odd idea that I should be dollar prudent and stay under $150,000 - ( not counting the tax and license of around $15,000) when deciding to order a car for this amount is already financially a self-destructive decision.

my suggestion - order what you really want after lots of careful thought and the numbers oddly start seeming less and less ridiculous. I was partly trying to appear “rational” for my wife and after the build locked - she says “ why don’t you just order whatever you want - at your age you may not ever do this again”. Why didn’t she tell me this the day before the build locked?

oh well.

I am not sure the Carrera metallic white paint for an extra $950 was worth the extra dollars - I have never seen this color in person. After my order a salesman said the metallic is really fine in the paint and not very visible.

I regret not ordering the chalk rings on the tech and chrono - most of all— the $430 for each now seems reasonable somehow.

I hope the Bordeaux dashboard doesn’t reflect in the windshield. I have a Panemera with all beige interior and I had to put a dash cover on the beige dash because of the annoying reflection in the windshield.

moral of my story - order the options you would like - the cost will eventually somehow seem reasonable over time.

Porsche 911 Targa 4

$148,950

Exterior Color
2Y
Carrara White Metallic
Top Color
5V
Targa Roof in Red
Interior Color
KL
Leather Interior in Bordeaux Red with Chalk Stitching
Optional Equipment
1N3
Power Steering Plus
1NP
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
2C8
Steering Column Casing in Leather i.c.w. Electric Steering Column
2PJ
Heated GT Sport Steering Wheel
2RB
"911" Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black
3J7
Porsche Crest on Headrests
3V1
Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Active Lane Keep (ALK)
5TT
Interior Trim Inlays in Paldao
5XZ
Sun Visors in Leather
6E3
Center Console Lid with Model Designation
8VH
Clear Taillights
FI8
Seat Belts in Chalk
P3R
Premium Package
QE1
Storage Package
QQ2
Ambient Lighting
9VL
BOSE® Surround Sound System
KA6
Surround View
6XV
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
4D3
Ventilated Seats (Front)
8IS
Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
7Y1
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
P3S
Sport Package
0P9
Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
8LH
Sport Chrono Package
GH3
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
Q2J
Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
Z1S
Included First Year / 10,000 Mile Maintenance
Old 12-27-2020, 04:48 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

My Transport ship (Viking Bravery) is minutes away from Morring in San Diego. It still has to go through the port process and trucked to Scottsdale but it's a real possibility I take delivery sometime this week. It will be a good start to 2021 and a appropriate goodbye to 2020.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default Fantastic!

Take a video of the unveiling to post so those still waiting can find hope in your delivery that we may see ours as well someday soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by Targa32:
Doug Wood (12-27-2020), Muhney (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:33 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default New Special Edition Targa owned- surprised too is automatic?

Manny has a collection of super cars he rarely drives except to drive through the local In n Out Burger. In Newport Beach California.

He ordered the car but has essentially nothing about the car - not even that the top retracts automatically.

Says he will post another email actually driving the car.

Does everyone get a little model Targa?

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice