Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 01:06 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I do think the 991 and 992 Targa mechanism is an engineering marvel and the rear roof looks amazing when it is in the suspended back position, but I suppose my issue is I have never cared for the Targa bar. I am also not a Cab guy or a sunroof guy. Not spec'ing a sunroof on my build, though I have thought about it for light only, I don't like how it changes the roof from body color. And while I have a cab now, I can't wait to sell it as my 992 will be a coupe. But like you said, everyone has their taste. I don't criticize those who love the Cabs and Targas, just not me.
I like the open top option, and the lines of the Targa look much better to me than the cabriolet. And I like the Targa bar and the look of the big glass in the back. Regarding the wind buffeting, if I have the top down I also have the windows down, and with that there's no buffeting problem. All in all, for me it's the "right" 911. Traded in my 991.2 TTS for the 992 Targa with no regrets.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:54 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I've always admired the Targa and became even more enamored with it when I was checking out a 991.2 Targa GTS at a nearby dealership for a fellow Macan Forum member. And then seeing more pics and reviews has me smitten with the idea of owning one. However, I have yet to convince myself that I'll love the Targa that much more than my C2, not to mention parting ways with the additional $70-80k it will cost to get into one. But... I really do enjoy the drives with the glass roof wide open and the windows down in the weather we frequently have in socal.

I'm "torn", fully understanding this is a 1st world problem, but perhaps waiting for a '22 and the possibility of a 992 Targa GTS might be the way to go. If I was starting from this point, I know which way I'd go, but with my C2 having less than 3k miles to date, I might be wiser to just hold off for now.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:09 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Anyone had any luck getting an allocation on a Targa 4S? I'm coming up goose eggs... I've got all the money to spend, just no allocation. hrmpff...
Old 02-26-2021, 03:58 PM
jrseltzer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allocation

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
Anyone had any luck getting an allocation on a Targa 4S? I'm coming up goose eggs... I've got all the money to spend, just no allocation. hrmpff...

I started looking in Sept 2020 and finally got an allocation in December for a May 2021 build and June delivery. Local dealer in St. Louis wasn’t able to get one sooner and I got mine through Isringhausen in Springfield Illinois ( also where I bought 996 and 997 years ago).
Old 02-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

I've had 4 other 911's over the years and alway always wanted a Targa. Finally got an order slot from my dealer in October and took delivery Jan 2nd. I couldn't be happier, such an amazing car and even better than my 2019 991.2 GTS coupe that I sold in October. It has really surpassed all of my expectations. Good luck with your pursuit.
The following users liked this post:
jrseltzer (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:05 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I contacted my dealer today and asked about a Targa 4S allocation. While they don't have one yet, he mentioned he should know more in the next week or two. There are two on the list, but I may be able to jump ahead since this would be my 4th car from the dealership. Thinking really hard about this, but wondering if I should just hold off for a 22 model since my C2 turned 1 this month and has less than 3k miles. Decisions.... !!
ha... you'll probably bump me down. my dealer in LA has ZERO loyalty to me... and allegedly i'm #2
The following users liked this post:
slwong23 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:13 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
If you're OK with looking out of state and haven't tried yet, give Hennessy Porsche North Atlanta a call. I was speaking with one of their SAs a couple of months ago, and he was bragging that they could get Targa allocations when just about everyone else can't, based on their volume. Not saying that he's speaking the truth, but you might want to put them to the test.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:11 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

i'm still waiting for my allocation to come in as well. deposit down since November. Dealer says should happen by mid march; however, getting skeptical since it was originally supposed to happen after first of the year. I'll give Hennessy a call soon. I do know there has been delays but this is getting a little more protracted than i expected.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:50 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Picked up my Targa yesterday—-

Picked up our Targa from our dealer yesterday.
car is beautifully built and very happy.

I was surprised that the Key fob does not operate the Targa roof. Even the C8 convertible has a button for the hard top on the fob.

The Targa 4 is more than fast enough for driving on the public roads. Absolutely does not seem to slow for my blood. Glad I spent the money saved on options rather than 60 more horsepower.

The metallic white paint is hardly metallic at all - not worth the additional $950 over the base white,

What I really like is how much room there is inside for a tall and a little wide guy.

Bordeaux red interior and top match in terms of color and they are a nice deep ruby red rather than a bright red color like in the red interior on the c7 I sold recently.

lane keep assist works sometimes and it doesn’t work other times.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:00 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats!

Was it more difficult getting a Targa 4 allocation vs. a Targa 4S allocation? Few Targa 4s are sold vs. Targa 4S.

Share pics when you get a chance!
Old 03-05-2021, 02:37 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
Picked up our Targa from our dealer yesterday.
car is beautifully built and very happy.

I was surprised that the Key fob does not operate the Targa roof. Even the C8 convertible has a button for the hard top on the fob.

The Targa 4 is more than fast enough for driving on the public roads. Absolutely does not seem to slow for my blood. Glad I spent the money saved on options rather than 60 more horsepower.

The metallic white paint is hardly metallic at all - not worth the additional $950 over the base white,

What I really like is how much room there is inside for a tall and a little wide guy.

Bordeaux red interior and top match in terms of color and they are a nice deep ruby red rather than a bright red color like in the red interior on the c7 I sold recently.

lane keep assist works sometimes and it doesn’t work other times.
Get some pics up now...
Old 03-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default Pickup and first drive in 2021 Targa 4 - San Francisco back to Temecula cslifornia

The following 3 users liked this post by Targa32:
KLOC (08-04-2022), slc4s (03-05-2021), T3X4S (03-07-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Default Some little lessons - from first day with 2021 Targa 4

Just a few random lessons from my first day with the new Targa 4 —

Surprised that the fob does not have a button to lower and raise the targa top.

Pricing on extended warranties vary greatly. I checked three dealers - if your buy the policy from a dealer you have your car serviced at you avoid the $100 or $250 deductible.

Tire pressure really changes the feel of the car on the road. The dealer put 45 psi in the front tires and 55 psi in the rear tires. The car bounced over every little bump and rode rather hard even on the normal setting the first day when we drove 140 miles to our hotel on our 500 miles trip home. Next morning I checked the air pressure and lowered the psi to the figure on the door and the car rode much better and with less road noise. Moral- make your dealer check the psi before driving from the dealership.

another surprise is that the passenger seat does not have position memory buttons. I have to check into this as I have the premium package on the car and I thought that memory buttons for both seats is included. And I do have also the 14 way seats as well. Maybe you need the 18 way seats to get the memory buttons for the passenger seats? Needs investigation.

I did not order in the configurator wheel locks snd it came with wheel locks as a standard feature.

Same with floor mats. The configurator has a number of pricey floor mat options which led me to believe the car would not come with mats for free( right free) so I ordered a set of coco mats and sure enough the car had Bordeaux red mats with Porsche embroidered on them in the car from the factory.

Nick Murray was correct that the Lane Keep just doesn’t work most of the time. I had hoped they had fixed it since his experience - but nope- just doesn’t see the lane markers most of the time. So you just can’t fall asleep after all while on the freeway. You have to stay awake- for $148,950 I was looking forward to taking a nap on freeway trips.

Glad to find no reflection issue in the front windshield from the Bordeaux red dashboard. My Panamera had a beige dashboard and the reflection problem was so bad I had to buy a black dash mat.

impression of the Bose stereo upgrade is that it is okay but nothing to rave about. The engine and road noise is loud enough to make it difficult to enjoy the Bose stereo. I would like to sit in a car with the $5,000 Burmeister or whatever it is named upscale stereo to see if it provides a better experience. I kind of doubt it because the road and noise from the engine is still going to block any stereo I would think.

Apple CarPlay I found harder so far to use than the actual Porsche navigation system. The nice right side nav screen on the dashboard is blocked by the steering wheel.

Something fun to do with the wife. I opened the rear “engine compartment” showed my wife what was underneath and when she asked where the engine was - I told her you only get an engine with the 4S model which was more expensive. She understood. Trophy wives - so much fun at times.

I really like the leather on the steering column and on the sun visors also. No one will ever notice the $1,000 investment but oddly having these covered in leather makes me happy. No plastic.

Rgrets - should have ordered the chalk circles on the tach and chrono- would have made me happy to see these little $420 chalk circles.

should have spent the $1,200 or whatever for the tuck and roll seat and door stitching- not a big deal but would have looked nice.

the clear tail lights was worth the money and I am glad I spent the money on that option.

I also ordered the $1,900 wood trim inside on the dash and doors and center column. No way to rationalize the $1,900 cost but it looks nice and has a nice real wood feel. Porsche should have also replaced those cheap black plastic panels on either side of the shifter with real wood panels also for $1,900.

I am taking the car to a cars and coffee meet up tomorrow morning in Temecula - my Targa will be the first Targa that I recall showing up. I expect the top gymnastics to get some attention from my friends in the corvette club that I betrayed by selling my 2017 Grand Sport and buying this Targa. I expect to get some negative comments - until the top does it’s burlesque trick that is of course.

last surprise For today- sales guy said the 2021 992 models don’t have a break in period. Is this true?

Love the car — so far — the comfort inside for a 6’2” guy weighing 265 pounds is amazing and I he spaciousness of the cabin compared to my 2017 corvette or even my 2016 Panamera is unexpected.

I think putting non- run flat tires on the car would help improve the ride in the normal settings - but won’t get a chance to find out until I wear these expensive P Zero tires down to the threads.

So far worth every penny. And it does annoy my Corvette friends when they find out this Targa essentially costs double the cost of a C8. When they ask how I justify this higher cost I tell them because it is slower, has less horsepower but the leather is a lot lot better and the engine is hidden away — which costs more than making it visible.

I am typing this as my wife drives the Targa on the 101 heading home in Friday afternoon traffic.

I still wish the car was a pretty blue like the new shark blue - maybe next time.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 PM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My allocation finally came in today! Been waiting since November. Late May build and early August delivery. Dealer said it was the only allocation for Targa 4s they got. I feel pretty lucky.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM27JZ85
Old 03-09-2021, 10:47 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
Just a few random lessons from my first day with the new Targa 4 —

Surprised that the fob does not have a button to lower and raise the targa top.

Pricing on extended warranties vary greatly. I checked three dealers - if your buy the policy from a dealer you have your car serviced at you avoid the $100 or $250 deductible.

Tire pressure really changes the feel of the car on the road. The dealer put 45 psi in the front tires and 55 psi in the rear tires. The car bounced over every little bump and rode rather hard even on the normal setting the first day when we drove 140 miles to our hotel on our 500 miles trip home. Next morning I checked the air pressure and lowered the psi to the figure on the door and the car rode much better and with less road noise. Moral- make your dealer check the psi before driving from the dealership.

another surprise is that the passenger seat does not have position memory buttons. I have to check into this as I have the premium package on the car and I thought that memory buttons for both seats is included. And I do have also the 14 way seats as well. Maybe you need the 18 way seats to get the memory buttons for the passenger seats? Needs investigation.

I did not order in the configurator wheel locks snd it came with wheel locks as a standard feature.

Same with floor mats. The configurator has a number of pricey floor mat options which led me to believe the car would not come with mats for free( right free) so I ordered a set of coco mats and sure enough the car had Bordeaux red mats with Porsche embroidered on them in the car from the factory.

Nick Murray was correct that the Lane Keep just doesn’t work most of the time. I had hoped they had fixed it since his experience - but nope- just doesn’t see the lane markers most of the time. So you just can’t fall asleep after all while on the freeway. You have to stay awake- for $148,950 I was looking forward to taking a nap on freeway trips.

Glad to find no reflection issue in the front windshield from the Bordeaux red dashboard. My Panamera had a beige dashboard and the reflection problem was so bad I had to buy a black dash mat.

impression of the Bose stereo upgrade is that it is okay but nothing to rave about. The engine and road noise is loud enough to make it difficult to enjoy the Bose stereo. I would like to sit in a car with the $5,000 Burmeister or whatever it is named upscale stereo to see if it provides a better experience. I kind of doubt it because the road and noise from the engine is still going to block any stereo I would think.

Apple CarPlay I found harder so far to use than the actual Porsche navigation system. The nice right side nav screen on the dashboard is blocked by the steering wheel.

Something fun to do with the wife. I opened the rear “engine compartment” showed my wife what was underneath and when she asked where the engine was - I told her you only get an engine with the 4S model which was more expensive. She understood. Trophy wives - so much fun at times.

I really like the leather on the steering column and on the sun visors also. No one will ever notice the $1,000 investment but oddly having these covered in leather makes me happy. No plastic.

Rgrets - should have ordered the chalk circles on the tach and chrono- would have made me happy to see these little $420 chalk circles.

should have spent the $1,200 or whatever for the tuck and roll seat and door stitching- not a big deal but would have looked nice.

the clear tail lights was worth the money and I am glad I spent the money on that option.

I also ordered the $1,900 wood trim inside on the dash and doors and center column. No way to rationalize the $1,900 cost but it looks nice and has a nice real wood feel. Porsche should have also replaced those cheap black plastic panels on either side of the shifter with real wood panels also for $1,900.

I am taking the car to a cars and coffee meet up tomorrow morning in Temecula - my Targa will be the first Targa that I recall showing up. I expect the top gymnastics to get some attention from my friends in the corvette club that I betrayed by selling my 2017 Grand Sport and buying this Targa. I expect to get some negative comments - until the top does it’s burlesque trick that is of course.

last surprise For today- sales guy said the 2021 992 models don’t have a break in period. Is this true?

Love the car — so far — the comfort inside for a 6’2” guy weighing 265 pounds is amazing and I he spaciousness of the cabin compared to my 2017 corvette or even my 2016 Panamera is unexpected.

I think putting non- run flat tires on the car would help improve the ride in the normal settings - but won’t get a chance to find out until I wear these expensive P Zero tires down to the threads.

So far worth every penny. And it does annoy my Corvette friends when they find out this Targa essentially costs double the cost of a C8. When they ask how I justify this higher cost I tell them because it is slower, has less horsepower but the leather is a lot lot better and the engine is hidden away — which costs more than making it visible.

I am typing this as my wife drives the Targa on the 101 heading home in Friday afternoon traffic.

I still wish the car was a pretty blue like the new shark blue - maybe next time.
Enjoy. Thanks for the review. Just for ****s and giggles, lower the tyre pressure down to 32F 34R and set the TPM to Comfort. See how you like ride grip and noise. I think you will be happy. If not pump them back up. PS The Fob restriction is a US thing. Same with the Cab.

Last edited by Hormazd Dalal; 03-09-2021 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice