Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021 | 09:07 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Agree. I have the Burmester in my Targa. Many think it's a waste, but I really enjoy it. Had the typical Bose setup in my previous C4S and TTS, which was good but despite the naysayers, I find the Burmester to be a very noticeable step up. Your build is looking very nice - when does it lock and what's your anticipated delivery date?
I wouldn't say it's a waste, but there are other things I'd personally want to get perfect before I spec'ed the Burmester. What always ends up happening -- I hit my budget and Burmester misses the cut.

Honestly, I'd just as soon get it for the silver grills if anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
djlynch (03-28-2021), Overdraft (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021 | 09:37 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I wouldn't say it's a waste, but there are other things I'd personally want to get perfect before I spec'ed the Burmester. What always ends up happening -- I hit my budget and Burmester misses the cut.

Honestly, I'd just as soon get it for the silver grills if anything.
I'm good with that. This was the first (of many) Porsches that I put the Burmester in, and have to say that it was the last option that I added. Had everything else I wanted, and then about a day before anticipated lock I just said what the hell and added it. Glad I did, as I would have kicked myself later with the second guessing. Spared no expense on this one.
Old 03-28-2021 | 09:41 PM
djlynch
Pro

I'm good with that. This was the first (of many) Porsches that I put the Burmester in, and have to say that it was the last option that I added. Had everything else I wanted, and then about a day before anticipated lock I just said what the hell and added it. Glad I did, as I would have kicked myself later with the second guessing. Spared no expense on this one.
yes I’m sparing no expense on this Targa build also!
The following users liked this post:
dgtarga (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021 | 09:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Who knows. I may end up doing the same!
dgtarga (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021 | 09:54 PM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
Who knows. I may end up doing the same!
get the Burmester! 😂
Old 03-28-2021 | 11:07 PM
drcarver
Rennlist Member

I decided to make the move from C2S to Targa, so let the configuration madness begin. Strange how the sports chrono doesn’t show up in the pictures even though the sports package is checked. Does anyone else have a dolomite/graphite combo? I’d love to see more pics!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM7DHHG2

jfGarneau (05-25-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 12:08 AM
mobilis
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous combo @drcarver
Old 03-29-2021 | 12:12 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Driving our two week old Targa 4 this weekend to Las Vegas and back to San Diego.

all I can say is that with the top down coming home tonight from Las Vegas I was really glad I saved the $5,000 by not adding the Burmeister. The noise from the road, the wind with the top down and engine made it pointless to try and listen to music. I have the Bose system and when the car is stationary it is the best sounding car stereo I have ever heard and the bass is amazing. But on the road this is not a vehicle that lends to audio sound quality. You would not sit in your living room with the tv blaring, dishwasher running and kids screaming and listen to Mozart.

On my car with the Bordeaux interior the speaker grills are color matched to the leather on the door and it looks really nice.

Brakes unless you are on a track racing for time - why would you buy a Targa if your a track guy in the first place?- are fantastic on the Targa 4 and on the 4S even larger diameter. The fancy brakes are known to squeal which would be adding insult to injury after spending nearly $10,000 extra- and they don’t even box up the standard brakes ans give them to you!

the rings of one color or another - red or chalk - yellow etc. I wish I had added - my one big regret along with the $1200 fancier door and seat stitching.

if The car is black — the metallic in my white car for $950 extra was sort of pointless as the metallic flakes are so fine- they are essentially invisible except in perfect light from the perfect angle.

and Might be the same with black metallic and the base white or black is much easier to touch up for chips or if a panel ever needs painting.

I will likely come to regret the metallic white choice for practical reasons and could have spent that $950 on the chalk rings on the two dials.

The full Bordeaux red looks fantastic in my white car- and no windshield reflections and gets compliments endlessly.

I have seen 911’s with the black exterior and the Bordeaux red interior and on a Targa this would look fabulous.

I worried about the full bordeaux red interior but it looks fantastic and I am very happy I went “full Monty” and took the plunge for full red rather than the black dash and steering wheel and Bordeaux red seats etc.

just sold my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport - and even my wife commented how much better this 911 rode on this long trip 300 miles), how much more secure on the road it felt and how much more comfortable the cabin was as well. More leg room, more head room and more shoulder room — and with the top down my hat stays on in the 911 with the top down!

Also on the shifter- works great - matches the row of buttons in front of the shifter and it looks very well made and elegant and I would like someone to post a picture of this shifter “cracked”. I don’t see anywhere on that nice shifter that looks like it is of poor quality and that would crack somewhere.

I like it because porsche decided not to make it look like a “real” stick shift ****.

I just put my Targa in the hands of a German engineer with green hair that owns the company that sells the module box to add the ability to open and close the Targa top with the remote control and to open or close the top with the buttons inside with a single pull.

my car was the guinea pig for all of you other Targa owners - and after two days he got it working really well and it is really nice to stand outside the car and put the top into its dance mode! Or when walking up I can now open the top and or lower the door windows wiry the factory remote.

This new module for the 992 Targa will be available in the very near future - just plug and play installation- no wire cutting- with a cost around $400-$500.

in Europe the Targa remote does all this stuff as well but not here in the states.

jeff
Prshnut (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 12:29 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa32
Driving our two week old Targa 4 this weekend to Las Vegas and back to San Diego.

all I can say is that with the top down coming home tonight from Las Vegas I was really glad I saved the $5,000 by not adding the Burmeister. The noise from the road, the wind with the top down and engine made it pointless to try and listen to music. I have the Bose system and when the car is stationary it is the best sounding car stereo I have ever heard and the bass is amazing. But on the road this is not a vehicle that lends to audio sound quality. You would not sit in your living room with the tv blaring, dishwasher running and kids screaming and listen to Mozart.

On my car with the Bordeaux interior the speaker grills are color matched to the leather on the door and it looks really nice.

Brakes unless you are on a track racing for time - why would you buy a Targa if your a track guy in the first place?- are fantastic on the Targa 4 and on the 4S even larger diameter. The fancy brakes are known to squeal which would be adding insult to injury after spending nearly $10,000 extra- and they don’t even box up the standard brakes ans give them to you!

the rings of one color or another - red or chalk - yellow etc. I wish I had added - my one big regret along with the $1200 fancier door and seat stitching.

if The car is black — the metallic in my white car for $950 extra was sort of pointless as the metallic flakes are so fine- they are essentially invisible except in perfect light from the perfect angle.

and Might be the same with black metallic and the base white or black is much easier to touch up for chips or if a panel ever needs painting.

I will likely come to regret the metallic white choice for practical reasons and could have spent that $950 on the chalk rings on the two dials.

The full Bordeaux red looks fantastic in my white car- and no windshield reflections and gets compliments endlessly.

I have seen 911’s with the black exterior and the Bordeaux red interior and on a Targa this would look fabulous.

I worried about the full bordeaux red interior but it looks fantastic and I am very happy I went “full Monty” and took the plunge for full red rather than the black dash and steering wheel and Bordeaux red seats etc.

just sold my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport - and even my wife commented how much better this 911 rode on this long trip 300 miles), how much more secure on the road it felt and how much more comfortable the cabin was as well. More leg room, more head room and more shoulder room — and with the top down my hat stays on in the 911 with the top down!

Also on the shifter- works great - matches the row of buttons in front of the shifter and it looks very well made and elegant and I would like someone to post a picture of this shifter “cracked”. I don’t see anywhere on that nice shifter that looks like it is of poor quality and that would crack somewhere.

I like it because porsche decided not to make it look like a “real” stick shift ****.

I just put my Targa in the hands of a German engineer with green hair that owns the company that sells the module box to add the ability to open and close the Targa top with the remote control and to open or close the top with the buttons inside with a single pull.

my car was the guinea pig for all of you other Targa owners - and after two days he got it working really well and it is really nice to stand outside the car and put the top into its dance mode! Or when walking up I can now open the top and or lower the door windows wiry the factory remote.

This new module for the 992 Targa will be available in the very near future - just plug and play installation- no wire cutting- with a cost around $400-$500.

in Europe the Targa remote does all this stuff as well but not here in the states.

jeff
Did you order PDCC on your car? This is the one option I’m not sure about as a few different reviewers mentioned that if you’re going to drive the car hard, especially on winding roads, it makes a huge difference.
Old 03-29-2021 | 01:19 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

No - and I don’t think available on the Targa 4 but I would not order it anyway. There are some discussion that some passengers get a seasick feeing from this option for some reason.

if you watch Nick Murray’s part 1 and part 2 review of every 911 option available on YouTube he suggests that he went to a track event where Porsche was providing all the 911’s to test drive. And these cars were suppose to have the PDCC option -and after all the drivers had their chance they were exclaiming how fantastic the cars handled with PDCC.

but Nick had noticed from his experience that in fact none of the cars Porsche had provided had this option - and he asked the instructor if he was correct and he admitted that the cars they brought did not have this option at all!

nick’s conclusion was that PDCC was maybe useful for a true track car that every tenth of a second was critical but he says otherwise the 911 handles fantastic and well beyond the abilities of most of us surface road drivers will ever need or will ever come close to taxing the handling of these beautifully designed vehicles.

spend the money on cool stuff like a stripe or embossed elbow pad or clear tail lights.

The adaptive cruise control is a fantastic and a life saver on today’s 300 mile traffic jam from Vegas back to San Diego.

heated seats and cooled seats a must on my Targa - used both today and the heated steering wheel also -

I also like the sport steering wheel. This noise about not seeing the instrument panel is just silly. You just tilt your head a tad and the gas gauge is easily readable.

I added both the premium package and the sport package as well.

the chrono package - is good also just for the little **** to select drive modes.

and that 20 second button of insane speed boost is fun to use to scare passengers as well.

lane assist lights on the mirrors are a must also.

I like having the sport exhaust as well - a lot better way to spend money than on the $9,000 brake upgrade or the thousands extra for the PDCC.

A lot of these options are there to get money from our pockets — and it works well.

I also paid $1,900 for the wood interior trim which looks and feels very high quality. Porsche should have put wood around the shifter to replace those stark glossy black panels of plastic on either side.

I had my shop that was a installed the PPF also cover the area around the seat heat/cool switch and those black panels with carbon fiber looking film and this protects these areas from scratches but looks really finished now as well.

my thought is try to be realistic about how you will really use your Targa — and if you really are planning on being a track star - you might want to get an allocation for the the coupe which is less flexible and weighs a lot less as well and would be safer in a track accident than a convertible.

Watch Nick Murray’s YouTube videos on 911 options- his thoughts are reasonable and experienced -
KLOC (08-04-2022)
Old 03-29-2021 | 01:22 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Photo of my $25 upgrade to the panels around the shifter idea of all applying faux carbon fiber self healing film. Took about an hour of time to do this little project by a pro.
Old 03-29-2021 | 01:33 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Bordeaux red top to match the Bordeaux red full interior. Oddly Porsche labels this top color just red- not Bordeaux red. So a fellow might order the bright red exterior and decide to add the “red” top to match but in fact they would not match at all. Why Porsche does not offer a bright red top and a Bordeaux top is an interesting question to ask one of the German Porsche executives.

the next is a photo of a side stripe I had made up in 3m material by a graphics shop in England. Cost was less than $200 and they made it with a Bordeaux red background to the Martini stripe rather than dark blue. My wife hates the stripes but I think they look really nice.

the Porsche lettering is done in a white metallic -

Old 03-29-2021 | 01:39 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Bought the black rear stone guards from Suncoast Porsche website for $40 - not the $300 the fsctory wanted and I had them put on right over the factory clear protection film applied on all these cars at the factory. Fit perfect on top of the clear factory film.

not sure if I like the black stone guard film but they do get really dirty from driving with them on the car and they do make the car look more serious.
Old 03-29-2021 | 02:12 AM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

I have no response.
I'm glad we all have the ability to make our cars with the options we want.
Old 03-29-2021 | 02:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa32

Photo of my $25 upgrade to the panels around the shifter idea of all applying faux carbon fiber self healing film. Took about an hour of time to do this little project by a pro.
Love the pants.

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice