Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 12:26 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 243 Posts

Talk to your dealer. I think the online services are supposed to be free for at least a year.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:27 AM
formisano
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
......The new 992 tires (goodyear eagle F1) can ONLY be sold directly through Porsche. ....
This is misinformation. For anyone else that might be reading this, Tire Rack has the Eagle F1 N0's. They do not have be purchased directly through Porsche.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,566 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by formisano
This is misinformation. For anyone else that might be reading this, Tire Rack has the Eagle F1 N0's. They do not have be purchased directly through Porsche.
i literally just got off the phone with Tire Rack customer service on Friday and was told point blank by theirs sales associate that the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires are currently only available for Sale directly to Porsche and their dealer network. Due to Low availability and a deal that POrsche made with Goodyear and their distributers, Porsche can prevent them from selling to consumers at any time and only allow customers to purchase through them. this is exactly what just happened to me.

The NAO and NFO tires are the ones rated for the 992 (NAO) and the Taycan (NFO). at the moment tire rack has them listed as "backordered" but that is inaccurate, they have them but are only allowed to sell to Porsche.

Call Tire rack if you dont believe me, but both dealerships and Tire Rack confirmed this to be the current situation
Old 08-02-2021, 12:58 AM
formisano
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

They're on Backorder, yes.

That is much different from "The new 992 tires (goodyear eagle F1) can ONLY be sold directly through Porsche."

When stock is replenished, these tires can certainly be purchased at Tire Rack. Otherwise, they wouldn't have them listed for sale.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Let me understand this, your navigation and voice command stops after one year if you don't renew?????????????????????

siberian
Old 08-02-2021, 01:32 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep as to tire availability other than dealer.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:37 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by formisano
They're on Backorder, yes.

That is much different from "The new 992 tires (goodyear eagle F1) can ONLY be sold directly through Porsche."

When stock is replenished, these tires can certainly be purchased at Tire Rack. Otherwise, they wouldn't have them listed for sale.

To be clear, the tires are not back ordered. Tire Rack told me they have plenty in stock, but due to general tire shortage right now, Porsche was able to tell Tire Rack that they needed to stop selling to consumers and only sell to them during the pandemic and therefor all Porsche drivers in need of these tires can only buy from Porsche.
Technically you are accurate in sayin that at some point consumers can buy again from Tire Rack, but at the moment Porsche controls that and they are only allowing them to be sold directly from their dealerships. The NAO and NFO versions are actually owned by Porsche, so they have the rights to how they are distributed.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:42 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Let me understand this, your navigation and voice command stops after one year if you don't renew?????????????????????

siberian
First off, I picked up car up only 6 weeks ago!! EVerything below has now stopped working and Ive been told to "Renew Porsche Connect to continue services" because I only was given a 6-week free trial

What I just lost was the following:
-Satellite image for Nav (Says: satellite image has expired, please visit porsche connect to renew service)... MY GPS is fully functional, but the option to have the map be a satellite view is gone
-Google searches have been disabled
-Real Time Traffic
-Weather app disabled
-News app disabled
-Voice command for online searches disabled
-Gas station, hotel and business search on map disabled
-Iphone Porsche Connect app disabled and all features removed (No locking/unlocking, no info about current gas level, oil level, milage, service due dates etc)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

^^so what’s the problem? You either renew or you don’t. Done.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
^^so what’s the problem? You either renew or you don’t. Done.
i understand… just couldn’t believe they only gave me 6 weeks of this service. It’s just one of those things, I’m a massive fan of the brand and the company, just went to their race school in Alabama and had the best time, and have been a multiple return customer. Just annoying when something like that runs out so quick and no one mentions to you that it’s just a short trial. I found myself using a lot of those features right away so I already renewed last night… just figured if they were going to expire I’d have a year at least
Old 08-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

6 week trial for new cars also, if I recall correctly. I have the data service through AT&T. $20/month unlimited data. Highly recommend.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
unexpectedly had to buy these two things this weekend...

Woke up to a completely flat tire (large screw found). The new 992 tires (goodyear eagle F1) can ONLY be sold directly through Porsche. My dealer didnt have the tire, but luckily the team up in Nashua, NH had them. So I drove from the Westwood, MA dealership, up to Nashua and back to grab the rear 21in 315/30/21 tire so they could install it on Friday.

Then today, to my surprise, All of my Porsche Connect features, Satalite images on Navigation, and "Porsche Apps" stopped working in the car. after clicking around i realized I only have a temporary free trial of the porsche connect and real time Nav system... I bought the car only 6 weeks ago, so I am SHOCKED that it is already over. So I went on and got a year subscription (probably should have complained to my dealer and got that thrown in for longer.)

I know a lot of you will scoff - but I dealt with a nail in driver’s side tread w/ a complete flat ( just like pictured). I plugged it. It’s been 10 days and I check the pressure w/ TPM and hand held gauge several times / day. It’s not lost any pressure. I’m sure it will but til that time , I’m riding on a plug and I’m totally fine with it. I know I know , Porsche will not advise a tire be plugged but this is on the tread , not sidewall nor shoulder. Flame on.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Bassman51
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
6 week trial for new cars also, if I recall correctly. I have the data service through AT&T. $20/month unlimited data. Highly recommend.

Why do you need the data service? Can't you use the connection via your phone for the PCM?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:23 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKB991
I know a lot of you will scoff - but I dealt with a nail in driver’s side tread w/ a complete flat ( just like pictured). I plugged it. It’s been 10 days and I check the pressure w/ TPM and hand held gauge several times / day. It’s not lost any pressure. I’m sure it will but til that time , I’m riding on a plug and I’m totally fine with it. I know I know , Porsche will not advise a tire be plugged but this is on the tread , not sidewall nor shoulder. Flame on.

I think what you did is totally fine, however, I have a track day with the car on August 5th so I didn’t want to take that risk. But dealership offered to plug, but since I have tire and wheel insurance it covered a new tire replacement
Old 08-02-2021, 11:54 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Thanx for clarifying. Yes a useless service which has nothing to do with "fahrvergnugen" and just another cash cow. As mentioned above your smart phone already has nav, route guidance and traffic not to mention weather.

In terms of tires, the same applies to oil for 992s. At the moment Porsche has locked out anyone buying Mobile1 0w-40 ESP x3 for 992s as only available through dealers. This is getting really beyond annoying and starting to look like Ferrari where you need your dealer to clean the rear view mirror.

siberian

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread