Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 01:03 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended), will pay extra attention to that, and call my better half to tell me how wrong I am. The noise is a bit of concern with the neighbors, but cold start in this car is noisy anyways. Any issues lining the valves? The akra instructions make a big deal out of it.
No problem. I wish I could help you on the valves, but mine was installed at the shop. But Im 99% sure the bumper didn't come off based on how fast it was installed.

Cold start is rather loud. That's about the only thing I would consider borderline too loud. Its a pretty DEEP hum until it warms up. It sounds great! But I daily drive my kiddo to school at 7am every morning. And I live in California where we have houses 10ft from each other. But my neighbors love my car and said they approve of the new exhaust. So I feel better about the morning walk up call from this exhaust. lol.

I was going to ask you if you could disable cold start via coding? Because I would probably do that if I could. I mean it only lasts what? 30-45 seconds. But its pretty loud! It sounds beastly though!

I look forward to you installing yours and hearing your thoughts.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 06-04-2021 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
porsche992! (01-24-2022)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
No problem. I wish I could help you on the valves, but mine was installed at the shop. But Im 99% sure the bumper didn't come off based on how fast it was installed.

Cold start is rather loud. That's about the only thing I would consider borderline too loud. Its a pretty DEEP hum until it warms up. It sounds great! But I daily drive my kiddo to school at 7am every morning. And I live in California where we have houses 10ft from each other. But my neighbors love my car and said they approve of the new exhaust. So I feel better about the morning walk up call from this exhaust. lol.

I was going to ask you if you could disable cold start via coding? Because I would probably do that if I could. I mean it only lasts what? 30-45 seconds. But its pretty loud! It sounds beastly though!

I look forward to you installing yours and hearing your thoughts.
There's a timer somewhere in the coding lines dictating the rpm and amount of time it stays there. That's likely to bring the cats to temps as quickly as possible to save the polar bears. I don't want to fiddle with that bc it's easy to screw up. Not that the dealer is remotely knowledgeable in coding, but bc they would reflash the ECU. I may start the car in the garage if it's too early. One of my nosy neighbors already called my old 991 as loud, so my expectations are not positive, not that I really care. I drive my kids to school often, the noise is approved by the kids there.
Lee8084 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

There's a timer somewhere in the coding lines dictating the rpm and amount of time it stays there. That's likely to bring the cats to temps as quickly as possible to save the polar bears. I don't want to fiddle with that bc it's easy to screw up. Not that the dealer is remotely knowledgeable in coding, but bc they would reflash the ECU. I may start the car in the garage if it's too early. One of my nosy neighbors already called my old 991 as loud, so my expectations are not positive, not that I really care. I drive my kids to school often, the noise is approved by the kids there.
I do wish that amount of time was much less if not at all. I drive slow until my cars up to temp anyhow. So I would rather do it myself than blast my neighborhood. But I have a hall pass on this. My next door neighbor has V8 truck straight piped. That thing is loud AF! That same neighbor loves my car SO much that he just ordered base 911 cab. He also heard my new exhaust yesterday on warm start and said he approved. I just feel bad for the family directly across the street which my pipes face on the way out of my garage. They get BLASTED! lol! But they also have 3 30yr old sons still living at home not doing much other than loafing and playing garage band on the weekends. So while I do feel bad about it. I don't at the same time too.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 06-04-2021 at 03:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
Lee8084 (06-04-2021), Schwarz992C4S (06-06-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

You guys are making me want to get the Akrapovic exhaust LOL

I don't DD and I usually only start my car in the late morning or early afternoon when it's joyride time! So I'm not worried.

I do love the idea of a loud cold start.
Tanqueray86 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:07 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 963 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper

I don't DD and I usually only start my car in the late morning or early afternoon when it's joyride time! So I'm not worried.

The Akra does sound amazing and helps the performance of the car as well. When you first unbox it it's so beautiful that you almost want to hang it up or build a stand for it to display in the living room haha. It certainly checks every single box. If you decide you want to pull the trigger on one we'll be here to help and get you a special price for being a Rennlist member.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
M3Inline6 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:07 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

I had to start my GT350 in the garage with the door closed. Even with the “stock” exhaust, the cold start was outrageous—way too much for my otherwise quiet subdivision. One of the things I like about the 992 is its (comparatively) quiet cold start.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:02 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 444 Posts

One big box. Trying diy install later today. I think I can manage without removing the bumper cover.
Yeah lets see if it happens...mine was done at the dealership and with that wanted to make sure that all was good and correct and installed properly. Bumper was removed tho.
I bought some titanium!
Hmmm that looks familiar! LOL

Rob's Akrapovic Ti 992 Exhaust - installed

Mine was installed without the bumper pulled! Be sure to take time lining up your tips though. Because if the gaps are off, you'll most likely have to take the muffler off to get to the screws you loosen to adjust the tips.

PS: Cold start is Loud AF! lol. The added turbo noise is awesome! The pops tone is different and louder too. At first I thought it wasnt much louder. Then I drove mine for an hour. Parked it for a couple hours. Started it back up and was like OMG its so loud! lol.
Not that loud to me...but my 991.1 also had an Akrapovic exhaust so many I am just used to the sound. Definately sounds better with deeper tone and a bit louder than my stock PSE exhaust. Also tho don't you also have SOUL Sport Cats on your car BIGWORM? That would make it louder right?

Oh they are the best...yes they cost some coins but I think its a worthy expense IF you really want the the car to sounds its best then you need to spend on some things...exhaust is one of them thus it narrows it down amongst exhausts guys...not all are equal. Akra does the part!
Originally Posted by WheelsB
The Akra does sound amazing and helps the performance of the car as well. When you first unbox it it's so beautiful that you almost want to hang it up or build a stand for it to display in the living room haha. It certainly checks every single box. If you decide you want to pull the trigger on one we'll be here to help and get you a special price for being a Rennlist member.
These guys are the real deal...got mine from them and they were awesome! I think maybe its the 2nd one purchased from them. LOL. Definitely given them a call if interested.
M3Inline6 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 04:45 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,779 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by aw305
Waiting for the car to start production on 5/21/21 but already got these on hand, as well as waiting for some HRE goodness to be made.

Nice! I want these too.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:40 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyray
430 ppm on city water seems pretty high. I have well water and I’m usually around 300. I wash once a week this time of year as the dust is pretty bad. I also keep the car in the Showcase which really helps.
Im sorry, but is this for real?
Old 06-05-2021, 09:43 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,779 Likes on 960 Posts

I’ve never seen anything like that before.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:59 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

yup. Common where critters can get in and chew your **** up. Keeping dust off it. And kids from accidentally dinging it pulling bikes out and such.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:09 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

One big box. Trying diy install later today. I think I can manage without removing the bumper cover.
The nuts are too seized. The valve plugs are a pain to unplug. Going the lazy way and paying the guy.
Got new clamps, will try again...
Edit- the cats stay on the way, need to remove the bumper and perhaps more. Not fun at all.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John Mclane; 06-05-2021 at 09:59 PM.
BIGWORM (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:28 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 243 Posts

absolutely , there have been cases of mice eating the wiring harness. It causes major damage that is not easy at all to fix requiring major disassembly of the car and major $$$
BIGWORM (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:35 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 899 Likes on 502 Posts

When that was first posted, I went to their website and watched their videos. They have a range of products, I never knew stuff like that existed, very useful.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,519 Likes on 5,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyray
430 ppm on city water seems pretty high. I have well water and I’m usually around 300. I wash once a week this time of year as the dust is pretty bad. I also keep the car in the Showcase which really helps.
Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I’ve never seen anything like that before.
He has Ferrari-itis.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
M3Inline6 (06-06-2021), Tupper (06-06-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread