What did you buy your 992 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,056 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
Nice video. A few questions:
How big is this unit - it looks relatively small. Could you post a pic of it installed to see the scale? Also, what was the main reason you installed the camera? Insurance?
Its about the size of a car key. I dont know where blue mounted or why he has it. But I mine is behind my mirror. You can not see it getting in and out of my car. You can hardly see it from the front too. My reason for this was security, accidents, and keeping police officers honest. Ive also caught my EX local dealer using my car for a 1hr joyride! Small and very eassy to install since it runs off a USB cig port adapater under the dash.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 12-28-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:46 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
FYI

I installed a Garmin Dash Mini-Cam yesterday. (Picture of Camera Below)

The link to YouTube, is a short (2 minute) video capture that I saved from the camera today.

It seems to do a fairly good job. Or at least better than I'd expected.

https://youtu.be/3Shscw7m8ys
Nice choice Blue! I had this replace my DR900 S 4K setup and I am more than pleased with mine *** well. I know that road very well too neighbor. = )

Last edited by BIGWORM; 12-28-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Its about the size of a car key. I dont know where blue mounted or why he has it. But I mine is behind my mirror. You can not see it getting in and out of my car. You can hardly see it from the front too. My reason for this was security, accidents, and keeping police officers honest. Ive also caught my EX local dealer using my car for a 1hr joyride! Small and very eassy to install since it runs off a USB cig port adapater under the dash.

Was the cable it came with long enough to install without seeing it? Also, I assume it was a self-install. I have a cab so is it possible to run the cord completely out of sight?
Old 12-28-2020, 01:38 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mb111
Was the cable it came with long enough to install without seeing it? Also, I assume it was a self-install. I have a cab so is it possible to run the cord completely out of sight?
Yes the cable is very thin and this is a very easy install. Hardest part of the job for me was pushing the rear view mirror mounts cover off to hide the wire even more before it went into the head liner.

Im not sure how this would work on a vert. I guess you could mount yours next to one of the A pilars and just run the wire down the passenger fuse box, behind the carpet and into the hidden cig port. That or mount it low on the window/dash and run it along the dash and window.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Yes the cable is very thin and this is a very easy install. Hardest part of the job for me was pushing the rear view mirror mounts cover off to hide the wire even more before it went into the head liner.

Im not sure how this would work on a vert. I guess you could mount yours next to one of the A pilars and just run the wire down the passenger fuse box, behind the carpet and into the hidden cig port. That or mount it low on the window/dash and run it along the dash and window.
any chance you could take a picture of the install behind the mirror and also the connection in the passenger footwell where the charger is connected. Interested to see the size.

I like the look of this one and have also noticed they have a Parking surveillance kit so it will record when the car is turned off and it detects movement.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Dakmary
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
My C2S all wrapped and tinted.

Also installed clear corner lights, painted Porsche center caps. New Carbonio spring-loaded front plate bracket mount and new Michelin Alpin 5s on the way tomorrow.
Hi, what do you mean by “clear corner lights”? Do you mean the rear turn signal? (Making it flash umber instead of read)
Old 12-28-2020, 07:39 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I'll see, in no particular order, if I can answer everyone's questions:
  1. BigWorm is correct. The Camera is very small. So small that I can't see any of it when sitting in the Driver’s Seat as the Mirror hides it completely. Even rom the Passenger Seat you'd be hard pressed to see it without leaning way forward and looking up and to your left. From outside the car it blends in with the Rear View Mirror and the other factory window masking and view ports for other electronics that the car uses.
  2. I used the Garmin Parking Mode Cable (P/N: 010-12530-03) and hard wired it into the wiring harness that is behind the Driver's Side Fuse Box Carpet Cover. I would NOT recommend this for the typical DIY. Probably better for most folks to simply tap into the Fuse Terminals as I've seen others do. I use Crimp Connectors, Solder and Shrink Tube on my Splices. I also use a Weather Pack connector (circled in one of the pictures) for the ease and convenience of any future service that might be required.
  3. This Camera can be set in the Parking Mode to trigger based on two different things. First, any Motion within the cameras field of view and Second, Any significant Impact. This choice of options is only available if you use the Garmin Parking Mode Cable and is only shown on the phone app when the Camera is plugged into the Garmin Parking Mode Cable. I found this to be rather important. As delivered, the Camera defaults to both triggers “On”. The result is that any time I, or one of our dogs walked into the garage or anything of any sort (like a bug) moved in the Camera's field of view, it captured this. The result was a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of useless video was captured, that IMHO served no purpose other than to fill my 128 GB Card with garbage. I was able to select “Impact Only” and shut off the “Motion Sensing” function.
  4. If/when you run the power cable to the Camera, when you route it behind the "A" Pillar be certain to do so on the Windshield side of the "A" Pillar Trim. The Side Curtin Air Bag is on the Door side of the "A" Pillar Trim. Routing the Camera Power Cable on the Door Side of the "A" Pillar Trim might well interfere with the deployment of this Air Bag. This would NOT be a good thing. I took my "A" Pillar Trim Piece off to install my Power Cable on the Driver’s Side. I’ve attached some pictures (some of which I stole from elsewhere on this forum) in an attempt to show how to do this. The release of one of the two clips (the upper clip) that hold this “A" Pillar Trim in place isn't difficult . . . but you have to know where it is and how to get to it without damaging the trim itself. I also used several small zip ties to secure the Power Cable to the existing Wiring Harness that runs along the Window Side of the “A” Pillar.
  5. So why do I have this? First, I have similar cameras on my motorcycles. A video record is quite useful when attempting to resolve the confusion that may ensue following any impact. Particularly one that might occur in a Parking Lot when you’re not there. Second, because I can and saving video footage is an excellent way to annoy my friends with such nonsense, from any (of my amazing) exploits I might want to share.

The following 6 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Dan Nagy (01-09-2021), Lee8084 (12-29-2020), lucycan (12-29-2020), Mb111 (12-28-2020), mdrobc1213 (12-31-2020), Nas (12-29-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Replaced the original carpets with the WeatherTech Floor Mats. Not as purrty as the originals but they do seem to last forever and they keep the dirt from my muddy farmer style boots contained. Over the years and with a number of vehicles; when it comes time to sell or trade the car in . . . out come the aftermarket floor mats and in go the original carpets that have been waiting patiently in my attic. Insto Presto new looking interior!
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (12-29-2020), markchristenson (12-29-2020), mdrobc1213 (12-31-2020), smjr (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:18 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
yes, but the hypotenuse of the caliper octogon, effervesces prohibitably toward the inevitable tautaumerism in the hepa filter form ! You can not deny that keto/enol beta isomers levorotatory on the rootn tootn side !
I missed this the first time around. Reminds me of
:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5-9Rfrui9A

Last edited by markchristenson; 12-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by markchristenson:
Mb111 (12-29-2020), SamD (12-31-2020), theorangesguy (06-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I missed this the first time around. Reminds me of this gem:

I LOVED that series. I was crushed when Amazon didn't pick it up for another season. So, so dark. Hysterical.
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (12-31-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I missed this the first time around.
The original . . . .

Old 12-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I missed this the first time around. Reminds me of this gem:

C'mon...you can't bolster 12 husk nuts to a girdle jerry. 6 at most, maybe 7.

The internet...sheesh.
markchristenson (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 03:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 432 Posts

Okay a quick update...many new things went into the car this past week....hell its Xmas right? LOL.
  1. Porsche Aluminum look Engine caps - Was only I think $69 on sale [https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK992CAPS.html]; and hey it was Xmas and gave the rear engine compartment more shock and awe! LOL

Porsche Aluminum look upgraded Coolant/Oil cap set
  2. PCM Film Protective Cover - Had a previous one from Amazon that didn't fit as well as I wanted/expected so bit the bullet and got this one from Suncoast [https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SPF99XS.html]. It looks the part much more. Amazon product fractured when I tried to move/adjust it to fit better on the PCM screen BTW.

PCM Protective cover/fim from Suncoast Porsche
  3. Manual Gearbox Preservation Society Sticker & Shirt - Courtesy of folks at Curb's website [[url]www.curbshop.com]. Save the manuals!

TMGPS

The manual preservation society gear...get you some! Save the manuals!
  4. BMC Air Filter upgrade - easy addition and they've been great on all my previous cars to include my old 991.1, my Cayman 981 S, and my F80 M3 amongst others
  5. Thinkware Q800 Pro 2 channel Dashcam - Some guy pulled directly in front of my 992 from a parking space less than 5 mins after leaving the dealership on delivery last month...awareness and driving skill as well as an open left lane of traffic saved me and the car from being side swiped and a nice repair bill along with diminished value! The number of others who've tail gated me and/or driven too close for comfort wanting to race or whatever in this car and others is just such that it justifies the additional cost of a good quality dashcam setup and professional and/or DIY install IMHO. That occurs this weekend so pics to come.
  6. Finally got the Akrapovic Titanium Cat Back Exhaust installed on the car after 3 weeks of enjoying factory PSE setup. PSE was very good but this is very much an improvement on these new turbos. - Yes can't get the NA sound of my old 991.1 but I did have this set exhaust up on my '13 991.1 Carrera S and it was IMHO one of the best exhaust I've heard on a 911 so far in terms of sound important, quality, ease of installation, fitment, and performance. Also cheaper than the NA 991.1 exhaust surprisingly so. Worth the expense IMHO. So when it came time to decide on an upgrade for the new 992. Well out with the old..,in with the new...Akrapovic!

Akrapovic exhaust -arrived and ready for installation

7. Akrapovic exhaust install - rear completed

Akrapovic 992 Tips - Sport Exhaust
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHGPNb8ANs
The following 3 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Aaron Lin (02-18-2023), Garydose (01-05-2021), NigelPlays (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 06:27 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 396 Likes on 195 Posts

Saw that cramped lot and thought, this could only be Porsche Hawaii!

mdrobc1213 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:41 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Santa was also generous this year. From Lloyd Mats. They do very nice work.

The following 2 users liked this post by SamD:
lucycan (12-31-2020), Russian Mafia (12-31-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread