Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 05:34 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06to911992
Well, you’re definitely not alone. As I recently opted for a 21 instead of a 20 (ordered 2/21), I now have even more time to make changes. As of today I have eleven build codes, each one slightly higher in price 🤷‍♂️
I had so many different builds in mind, but when I had to choose against the lock date, and I did, I was pleasantly surprised that after that point I had no regrets, and when I finally saw it and sat in it for the first time, the feeling was that mine was uniquely perfect! I think just what you want out of a custom ordered experience, I bet you guys end up feeling the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hp12c:
C6Z06to911992 (04-19-2020), Metalblond (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Funny enough, I have not changed a thing. I occasionally toy with a few potential changes (e.g., aero kit as I see cars delivered with it), but I’m pretty confident I will stick with what I ordered.

All that said, my initial reason for sticking with my initial plan was the intimation from my SA that changes might slow down the pace, and leaving it “as is” might speed it up. Of course, that was “BC” (before coronavirus) and it seems like all timelines for new builds have been completely upended.

But maybe I’ll make a tweak—right now I have until June before my build locks (according to the TYD site).
I was originally told the same thing (that changes could slow down the pace)- but I did one change two weeks before my car was supposed to lock in the end of March (color change)- and it didn't change a thing. I was so excited--I kept my V200 status and everything was on track for me to have my car in early June ....and then coronavirus hit. Now I'm (hopefully) supposed to lock in the beginning of May. After watching videos and seeing cars on here, I started tweaking my build. I actually have taken a couple of things off (I did overbuild my car, according to my SA)--added a few things on-- and I think I'll make my final changes with my SA this week. I'll let you know if it changes the timeline.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,440 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Funny enough, I have not changed a thing. I occasionally toy with a few potential changes (e.g., aero kit as I see cars delivered with it), but I’m pretty confident I will stick with what I ordered.

All that said, my initial reason for sticking with my initial plan was the intimation from my SA that changes might slow down the pace, and leaving it “as is” might speed it up. Of course, that was “BC” (before coronavirus) and it seems like all timelines for new builds have been completely upended.

But maybe I’ll make a tweak—right now I have until June before my build locks (according to the TYD site).
Yeah, to be honest I think that's an old wive's tale. I've changed configs after freeze point and still got my car early on past builds.

Don't settle for anything for fear of delay. Rather you have a delay than regret.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
crimewave (04-19-2020), Metalblond (04-19-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 09:49 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d
Yeah, to be honest I think that's an old wive's tale. I've changed configs after freeze point and still got my car early on past builds.

Don't settle for anything for fear of delay. Rather you have a delay than regret.
This is the best piece of advise. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2020, 10:10 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalblond
This is the best piece of advise. Thanks!
The only thing to be careful of is that the lock could happen a little in advance of the date shown on your schedule. Best to make final changes at least a week or two before the lock date to avoid any problems--work closely with your SA on this. Changes after the actual lock will cause a delay in production unless your dealer can pull some strings.
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
The only thing to be careful of is that the lock could happen a little in advance of the date shown on your schedule. Best to make final changes at least a week or two before the lock date to avoid any problems--work closely with your SA on this. Changes after the actual lock will cause a delay in production unless your dealer can pull some strings.
Thank you so much. Then I think I'm going to do my changes today (which is two weeks from when it was supposed to lock, the last I checked)--just in case Porsche production reopens and starts my build early. Fingers crossed--that would be incredible for very many reasons besides my car. Thanks again--I really appreciate the info!
Old 04-20-2020, 05:40 PM
thesasquatch
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for not worrying about having it affect your build / delivery schedule!

I made changes [ twice] two weeks AFTER my lock date and my SA even threatened me that "this could potentially change things for you" and it did NOTHING. Up until your car is on the production-line rotisserie, it's an electronic system these days (imagine that) and option changes are automatically updated to the system until that point slick as snot.
Even if it pushes it, I'm sure it'll be fine (taking into account the back-log from the Covid production halt).

J
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (04-22-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by thesasquatch
+1 for not worrying about having it affect your build / delivery schedule!

I made changes [ twice] two weeks AFTER my lock date and my SA even threatened me that "this could potentially change things for you" and it did NOTHING. Up until your car is on the production-line rotisserie, it's an electronic system these days (imagine that) and option changes are automatically updated to the system until that point slick as snot.
Even if it pushes it, I'm sure it'll be fine (taking into account the back-log from the Covid production halt).

J
I don't know about that and I wouldn't gamble on it. Two weeks before my published lock date, I asked my SA to delete the Porsche crests on the seat backs. Much to my dismay, he told me that the car had already locked and if I wanted the change it would delay the car at least a month. I went ballistic due to the misinformation and his general manager had to go pretty high up the Porsche food chain to get it done with no delay. From what I understand, Porsche takes their lock dates pretty seriously, so why take the chance? Now, is this still valid with the production shut down due to the pandemic--who knows? Better safe than sorry.

As a side note, I ordered an Alpina B6 Gran Coupe a few years back and was told by my dealer that I had a month to select my final color and options like any other BMW, so they just plugged some random color and options into the order as a place holder. We found out a few weeks later, when I had made my final decisions, that an Alpina locks the day you place the order and, even though the car was still weeks away from production, they would not alter the order. I refused the car, but the dealer still had to take it as ordered. They offered to order me another one, but they would have had to start all over with a new allocation and it was going to take an extra 4 months so I passed. You never know what decisions these manufactures will make.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Metalblond
Pro

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/what-c...avirus#porsche
Just found this article and it looks like (hopefully) Porsche will be reopening in Germany for production on Monday!! Fingers crossed it's not fake news.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Just found this article and it looks like (hopefully) Porsche will be reopening in Germany for production on Monday!! Fingers crossed it's not fake news.
Thanks, let’s hope.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:50 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

that would be good news indeed for the waiters! I thought that whole list was interesting—would like to know the logic behind why some factories are opening and some aren’t (not just Porsche).
Old 04-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Metalblond
Pro

I did my changes on my build and nothing changed regarding status (still V200) and approximate delivery dates (end of July). Now let's hope the factory opens and they pull my build and lock early :-) Thank you everyone for all of your help!!
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 PM
iamwingman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Officially ordered mine today. V200. The wait begins.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Originally Posted by iamwingman
Officially ordered mine today. V200. The wait begins.
Welcome aboard V200 ;-)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Same here, still sitting in V200. I am now thinking about changing my interior. This needs to lock soon so I'll stop wasting time on the configurator. I am not that fussy, just bored waiting.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!