Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
To be fair - it is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. We (as a society - at least here in the US) have become so accustom to paying less than MSRP, that it feels like we are being screwed if/when we pay it. But heck, the market has more buyers than sellers right now and so MSRP is not the worst thing - in fact, it actually made negotiations easier

And the sales experience was pretty sweet.

The entire Track Your Dream (TYD) was TOTALLY amazing - like waiting for Christmas - you know when it is coming and sometimes the wait is better than they actual day
Yes...was the case for me in that I was like no way I am paying MSRP or MSRP plus for a car..but my dealer was sole option avail geographically and so best I could get was 3% off last summer. I could have tried to search for another better offer but had a trade and also allocations were imploding them across the US so sometimes you have to know the hand you hold so to speak.
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I had deposits down at 5 dealers where I was first on the list for a C4S targa. One of the five got an allocation in the most recent release of allocations. My build is September with a November delivery date. Your deposits are refundable, hedge your bets and talk to a few dealers.
Lots of friends I've know do that. If they had the means then they have told me its a way towards a means. All are upfront with dealerships that 1) it is refundable 2) mostly all are without an allocation offered 3) if allocation presents itself but customer balks (MSRP and/or timing are most common ones) then normally easily are taken by others on the list given the current supply/demand issue.
Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Wow, ok I guess...haven't thought about deposits with multiple dealerships. Guess I just don't get it...I'm not going that route. You honestly think tracking down 4 other dealers for refunds will not be a hassle in addition to a tad unethical? Wonder if the dealerships would accept the deposits if they knew you were doing that? Not saying that you are wrong, think many of us are quite frustrated by the current state of things, just I hadn't thought of that, nor would I personally do that. I found 1 dealership I liked of the 20. They don't have a allocation, but I trust they'll eventually get one. I mean honestly folks, we act like we are dealing sometimes with organ transplants here or the last spaceship leaving a doomed planet, lol....we'll all get cars in time, porsche doesn't want to not make a profit from us. 😀
Yes time will solve this issue too...problem is most Americans are very impatient. We are an immediate gratification society and want what we want NOW. Couple of articles on this in the news recently that have dived into this aspec with the car supply shortage and that of some other goods and housing also. Good reads. Porsche 992 ordered cars are no exception and probably the primo example of this. Folks are actually distressed and upset with the brand that they cannot order a $100k luxury sports car to their build and liking for immediate delivery when they want/please. Definitely a 1st world problem...meanwhile people in India would die or well are dying for an oxygen cylinder....just saying not a huge problem to lose sleep over.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...1A8?li=BBnb7Kz
Originally Posted by Go Bruins
I don't agree and don't think any of your macro-economic views are correct. But the future will tell -- not either of us. As for now, I'm getting my Targa!
C'est la vie! COVID19 if anything has taught many that time may not be guaranteed once deferred.
Originally Posted by westcoastj
I got lucky - put deposit for waitlist on May 3. Got a call on May 14 with september build allocation for hopefully december delivery.
Congrats...timing and luck as well as some faith is rewarded sometimes. Enjoy and it will be a nice Xmas for you hopefully!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 05-17-2021 at 06:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrobc1213:
Boulder Mike (05-17-2021), Go Bruins (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 AM
danbnjshore
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mine is at Emden port....awaiting Vessel

The following 3 users liked this post by danbnjshore:
Gen8Gentian (05-17-2021), Go Bruins (05-17-2021), ribold01 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

[QUOTE=rk-d;17433250]And a lot of those allocations were for people who had been waiting for months. It took 4 months to get my April allocation for what will be a late November delivery. Basically one year total wait time.

My point was just that there seemed to be a larger number of 992 allocations provided to dealerships in May vs. the past several months. That was the case for the dealership I work with anyway, and hopefully that will be the start of a trend. How Porsche intends to manage their production lines in the face of the chip shortages is a bit of a mystery, but at least right now it's appearing that the Macan and Cayenne lines are taking the biggest hit.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Gen8Gentian
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Love your spec and best of luck. My car this morning is updated and showing as ready for transport. How long did it take yours to arrive at the port?
Old 05-17-2021, 11:54 AM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Wow, ok I guess...haven't thought about deposits with multiple dealerships. Guess I just don't get it...I'm not going that route. You honestly think tracking down 4 other dealers for refunds will not be a hassle in addition to a tad unethical? Wonder if the dealerships would accept the deposits if they knew you were doing that? Not saying that you are wrong, think many of us are quite frustrated by the current state of things, just I hadn't thought of that, nor would I personally do that. I found 1 dealership I liked of the 20. They don't have a allocation, but I trust they'll eventually get one. I mean honestly folks, we act like we are dealing sometimes with organ transplants here or the last spaceship leaving a doomed planet, lol....we'll all get cars in time, porsche doesn't want to not make a profit from us. 😀
Orderly lines don't form around 150k cars in short supply demanded by people who are used to solving problems with money and effort. You're trying to rationalize market behavior as unethical/inconvenient when neither is true - both dealers and buyers are playing the well established game of buying/selling high demand luxury products.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:57 AM
skim
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dangol
yes same for me. Good to have a companion on that ship!
i had thought the vessel goes straight through the Panama canal and to San Diego. But on various tracking sites, it shows it is headed to South Carolina... i assume for refueling? i don't know.
Haha yea same here. I was thinking this doesn't look like the route shown on TYD! I assume the vessel's carrying all US bound cars and the SC stop is for the east coast cars.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:02 PM
Doc_Ad
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Default TYD doesn’t always match up! Aka Siem Plato RI update

My car was on Siem Plato and landed at RI. It has been in port processing on TYD since Thursday of last week. However my sales associate just sent me pics of it offloaded at his dealership!

So that means TYD isn’t always dead on. Additionally he said that the TPMS issue is peculiar: he has a customers Panamera held up but my C4 wasn’t held up. Not sure what to make of all that but I’m sharing.

yay!

The following 7 users liked this post by Doc_Ad:
4 Rings (05-17-2021), Boulder Mike (05-17-2021), Gen8Gentian (05-17-2021), German1967 (05-17-2021), Go Bruins (05-17-2021), Huddo (05-17-2021), ribold01 (05-17-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:11 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CPS992
Orderly lines don't form around 150k cars in short supply demanded by people who are used to solving problems with money and effort. You're trying to rationalize market behavior as unethical/inconvenient when neither is true - both dealers and buyers are playing the well established game of buying/selling high demand luxury products.
So true and I agree with this school of thought more each day as time passes, I'm paid in my profession to find timely solutions for our clients...or we eventually run the risk of losing their business. However, porsche purschases apparently do not necessarily to apply across the board to that protocol unfortunately, so we are at the mercy of their system. 😀
The following users liked this post:
CPS992 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:16 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I'm still second guessing my decision to go with the 14 way seats. When sitting in the 18 way seats my lower back was bothering me a little bit, but I didn't find the bolstering to be an issue. I'm wondering if I need to take more time to dial in the settings before making the wrong choice. I assume the back and seat portion contours are the same between the 14 way and 18 way seats.

Any thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNI28Y95
Old 05-17-2021, 12:18 PM
CPS992
Racer

2021 C4S ordered - May 21 build complete date / July 9 dealer delivery date

Chalk, Black Leather w/ Chalk stitching, RS Spyder Wheels, RAS, Heated GT Wheel, glass sunroof, SSP 4-Ways, Sport Package, Premium Package w/ Bose, blacked out Porsche/911

The following 2 users liked this post by CPS992:
Go Bruins (05-17-2021), sanford (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM
John Swilling
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Thoughts on my CS2 build:

Also has sports chrono package in red, not shown in render

Porsche logo in black not shown in render

Old 05-17-2021, 01:34 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Gents, what is happening now is the age old issue of supply and demand accentuated by the fact that we are talking about top shelf luxury goods within a household name marque. This has been happening with Rolex and Hermes, as non car examples, for years pre Covid-19. And with Porsche specifically, for GT cars since inception, it just now has spread down to the regular base 911. The situation simply just caught up, plant closure last year, less ability to increase production to satisfy and an increased demand pushed by a multitude of factors including that many could not get their orders satisfied last year. Or have been now seeking to buy a sports car when otherwise they would not even thought of it pre covid etc. If this virus has taught us anything is that time is not guaranteed, so both those that are willing to wait longer to get those few points discount or even at MSRP can be respected in the same way as those who prefer to pay an ADM and wait for a shorter amount of time, or no wait at all (aka pay $300K for an on the ground 992TTS example) for whatever their individual reasons may be, this is what the shortage of luxury goods does to a small percentage of the population that can afford them. It is definitely a 1st world problem and there is no right or wrong side to the argument, it is just how much more or less money are you willing to pay paired with how much more or less time you are willing to wait. No simple answer, IMO. However, one thing I can say is that dealers are more frustrated than we are, as they are in the business of selling, and they have very little or nothing to sell, so that doesn't bold well with their business model which has only a single source of supply that cannot deliver at any semblance of pace as in previous years.
The following 3 users liked this post by JAB12:
German1967 (05-17-2021), phila12180 (05-17-2021), smiles11 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM
CPS992
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc_Ad
My car was on Siem Plato and landed at RI. It has been in port processing on TYD since Thursday of last week. However my sales associate just sent me pics of it offloaded at his dealership!

So that means TYD isn’t always dead on. Additionally he said that the TPMS issue is peculiar: he has a customers Panamera held up but my C4 wasn’t held up. Not sure what to make of all that but I’m sharing.

yay!

So I spoke to my dealer a few days ago and he says my C4S is noted to be 100% built in factory and doesn't have a TPMS delay. Fingers crossed as my completion date is this Friday on TYP.

Anecdotally for others who expressed worry up-thread - the issue isn't the sensors in the wheels, but a chip in the dash. So they're not putting our cars on blocks in the dock and removing wheels, but installing a chip on the inside of the car. I specifically asked why they weren't shipping the cars and having the dealers do the install instead of having hundreds of cars pile up and he said the dealers would charge retail repair rates for this and it was extremely unlikely Porsche would resolve the issue that way, ever.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:18 PM
por356
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by CPS992
So I spoke to my dealer a few days ago and he says my C4S is noted to be 100% built in factory and doesn't have a TPMS delay. Fingers crossed as my completion date is this Friday on TYP.

Anecdotally for others who expressed worry up-thread - the issue isn't the sensors in the wheels, but a chip in the dash. So they're not putting our cars on blocks in the dock and removing wheels, but installing a chip on the inside of the car. I specifically asked why they weren't shipping the cars and having the dealers do the install instead of having hundreds of cars pile up and he said the dealers would charge retail repair rates for this and it was extremely unlikely Porsche would resolve the issue that way, ever.
Hope that's the case, I wasn't thrilled with them removing wheels and tires at the port! Thanks for the update.....
Old 05-17-2021, 02:30 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

Only comment would be - add red seatbelts.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!