Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 03:53 PM
electricborn
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Siem Cicero is currently moored in Baltimore. We'll see how long it takes her to unload and get back out to sea.

The following users liked this post:
alin2 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:13 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Yep. I deleted it. Since I wasn't getting any emails about the TYD status of the vehicle, there's no loss there. But I have gotten multiple emails with a big red button for me to "> Confirm vehicle ownership" (on a car still at Emden!). I'm hoping that deleting the order from TYD will put a stop to those as well.

All in all, Porsche, D for software experience. As someone with 40+ years in IT, I can tell you that no software is better than bad software, and this is bad software.
9 years ago I bought a BMW M550 (really loved that car until the N63 issues) and BMW software predicted the arrival to the DAY !

So 9 years ago this was trivial. A Big WTF to Porsche. They really blew the early experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by johnohara:
alin2 (06-22-2023), Just J (06-22-2023), SS22 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:18 PM
Spiffx
Pro

Received 702 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by johnohara
9 years ago I bought a BMW M550 (really loved that car until the N63 issues) and BMW software predicted the arrival to the DAY !

So 9 years ago this was trivial. A Big WTF to Porsche. They really blew the early experience.
This is happening to every car manufacturer. I ordered a BMW M4, and it stayed over 3 months at the port in Bremerhaven waiting on a boat. Meanwhile, other M3s and M4s manufactured after mine kept passing mine and being delivered to their owners in my same city. It’s not a Porsche problem. It’s a supply chain problem and there’s nothing Porsche can do to fix it.

Last edited by Spiffx; 06-22-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Shooter992C2S (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:27 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffx
This is happening to every car manufacturer. I ordered a BMW M4, and it stayed over 3 months at the port in Bremerhaven waiting on a boat. Meanwhile, other M3s and M4s manufactured after mine kept passing mine and being delivered to their owners in my same city. It’s not a Porsche problem. It’s a supply chain problem and there’s nothing Porsche can do to fix it.
I agree that there are supply chain challenges. But what does that have to do with transporting cars in anything other than first-in first-out order of already manufactured vehicles? Or with being unable to match shipping schedules with the cars at the port awaiting transport. Or, at a bare minimum, saying "don't know" when it is obvious that in fact they don't know? All three of these are 100% addressable by Porsche's logistics team.
The following 3 users liked this post by Just J:
Alex.In.M0tion (06-22-2023), alin2 (06-22-2023), SS22 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:33 PM
Spiffx
Pro

I agree that there are supply chain challenges. But what does that have to do with transporting cars in anything other than first-in first-out order of already manufactured vehicles? Or with being unable to match shipping schedules with the cars at the port awaiting transport. Or, at a bare minimum, saying "don't know" when it is obvious that in fact they don't know? All three of these are 100% addressable by Porsche's logistics team.
Once the cars go to the port, they’re in the hands of the shipping company. Porsche is no longer in control of the shipping order, and they truly don’t know when your car will be shipped. Agree they should say that though.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:39 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Once the cars go to the port, they’re in the hands of the shipping company. Porsche is no longer in control of the shipping order, and they truly don’t know when your car will be shipped. Agree they should say that though.
Yeah, that would definitely fall under "don't know". But I also suspect that they could tell the shipping company as part of their contract to ship cars going to any given port in FIFO order, and require the company to give them at least an approximate idea of how many cars would go on each ship to each port, even if that is only two or three ships into the future. From there Porsche could do a *much* better job of calculating likely shipping dates.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Spiffx
Pro

Yeah, that would definitely fall under "don't know". But I also suspect that they could tell the shipping company as part of their contract to ship cars going to any given port in FIFO order, and require the company to give them at least an approximate idea of how many cars would go on each ship to each port, even if that is only two or three ships into the future. From there Porsche could do a *much* better job of calculating likely shipping dates.
The port is overflowed with more cars than their capacity can handle. Here’s what Emden looks like:

This is a closer look:

Imagine if your car is in the middle of this pack when the boat going to your port arrives. There’s no way to get your car out. You have to wait until other cars going to other ports are taken out. It’s impossible to maintain FIFO when the port is overflowed like this and you have cars arriving every day, all going to different ports.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:47 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

There is no relationship between supply chain issues and the ability to ship cars "in order" None.

The shippers are contractors, they do as they are instructed.

We all love 911's but this is pooch screwing of epic proportion.

IMHO... John

Last edited by johnohara; 06-22-2023 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnohara:
Cartod (06-23-2023), Just J (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 06:47 PM
Alex.In.M0tion
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 209 Posts

I see what you are saying. What I’m hearing is, I have to fly myself over to Germany and make some new friends who specialize in car shipping logistics…
Old 06-22-2023, 06:49 PM
Spiffx
Pro

Originally Posted by johnohara
There is no relationship between supply chain issues and the ability to ship cars "in order" None.

We all love 911's but the is pooch screwing of epic proportion.

IMHO... John
Originally Posted by Alex.In.M0tion
I see what you are saying. What I’m hearing is, I have to fly myself over to Germany and make some new friends who specialize in car shipping logistics…
Read my post just above with the screenshots of Emden.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:15 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

The port is overflowed with more cars than their capacity can handle. Here’s what Emden looks like:

This is a closer look:

Imagine if your car is in the middle of this pack when the boat going to your port arrives. There’s no way to get your car out. You have to wait until other cars going to other ports are taken out. It’s impossible to maintain FIFO when the port is overflowed like this and you have cars arriving every day, all going to different ports.
This is basic logistics. When you put something away (park a car arriving at the port) you have to plan how you're going to get to it when you need it. The idea that because the cars in the middle are hard to get to means you just grab the newly arrived cars because they're easy is a major fail. You need to park the cars in groups according to destination port, and then always leave an aisle for the oldest arrivals to get out, even as that aisle migrates through the block, with the oldest cars coming off one side of the aisle while new arrivals are added to the other side, until the aisle reaches the edge of the block and starts over at the opposite edge. And if you have so many cars that the block needs to be in two pieces, one at a spillover location, you treat them as if they are virtually contiguous.

Again, managing FIFO queues, even under heavily congested conditions, is extremely basic logistics. If this were 2020, or even 2021, Porsche could be excused for getting caught flatfooted when all the logistical challenges hit. But it's 2023 - they've had time to react, adapt, and overcome. Since the way they manage parts during manufacturing suggests they are quite good at logistics, this strongly suggests that they just don't care enough to address it.
SS22 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Spiffx
Pro

This is basic logistics. When you put something away (park a car arriving at the port) you have to plan how you're going to get to it when you need it. The idea that because the cars in the middle are hard to get to means you just grab the newly arrived cars because they're easy is a major fail. You need to park the cars in groups according to destination port, and then always leave an aisle for the oldest arrivals to get out, even as that aisle migrates through the block, with the oldest cars coming off one side of the aisle while new arrivals are added to the other side, until the aisle reaches the edge of the block and starts over at the opposite edge. And if you have so many cars that the block needs to be in two pieces, one at a spillover location, you treat them as if they are virtually contiguous.

Again, managing FIFO queues, even under heavily congested conditions, is extremely basic logistics. If this were 2020, or even 2021, Porsche could be excused for getting caught flatfooted when all the logistical challenges hit. But it's 2023 - they've had time to react, adapt, and overcome. Since the way they manage parts during manufacturing suggests they are quite good at logistics, this strongly suggests that they just don't care enough to address it.
That all works fine when you have sufficient space to order the cars per destination. When all the lines are filled, and you continue receiving cars going to different destinations, all goes to hell. Perhaps they could have rented more space. What if there’s no more space available at the port?

Remember, this is no longer Porsche taking care of these logistics. The shipping company is in charge once the cars arrive to the port.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:41 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 480 Posts

And this concludes TYD for me.

“Pickup” Saturday at 9:30 am.
A sigh of relief.

Hoping for good news and fast schedules for all those still waiting.

All of my dates, for anyone interested.

The following 8 users liked this post by jhenson29:
Alex.In.M0tion (06-22-2023), alin2 (06-22-2023), CZS (06-23-2023), johny221 (06-22-2023), Just J (06-22-2023), Shooter992C2S (06-22-2023), Spiffx (06-22-2023), tbridge (06-22-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:47 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

I think what’s super frustrating for folks is that cars arriving on the same day according to TYD sometimes arbitrarily make some ships and some don’t on an almost random fashion. There is little doubt in my mind that Porsche if they’re going to bother with something like TYD then it behooves them to be more transparent and forthcoming with info when FIFO goes out the window due to logistic snarls.
The following 2 users liked this post by alin2:
Alex.In.M0tion (06-22-2023), Just J (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:48 PM
robopp
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
And this concludes TYD for me.

“Pickup” Saturday at 9:30 am.
A sigh of relief.

Hoping for good news and fast schedules for all those still waiting.

All of my dates, for anyone interested.

Completely ridiculous. Our cars arrived at port on the same day. You’re taking delivery. Mine is still waiting at Emden. What US port, out of curiosity? If Jacksonville, that’s another big kick in the ***** because that’s where my car is going.
Just J (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!