Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024 | 03:17 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
In this thread we now have 911 logomachy.
Bill Clinton would be so proud
Old 01-23-2024 | 03:17 PM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
In this thread we now have 911 logomachy.
as expected, the S/T bringing the 911 to the next level!!
Old 01-23-2024 | 03:30 PM
unotaz
Drifting

LOL. I absolutely agree with you but this is a clear case of the "haves" and the "have nots".

Almost all of the haters on the ST are the same guys who have paid over sticker for their other GT cars. So this is just a case of some people can't justify the ADM being charged on the ST, so they naturally hate on the car because they simply can't afford it (or have the willingness to pay for the hefty premium to have one). People who are able to get the ST at MSRP are not complaining because they could get the other GT variants similarly at MSRP as well. So there is no bias there.

We went through this with the previous 991 generation of the 911R vs. GT3 Touring. It's funny how some of the people who bashed the 911R initially as inferior or not worth the premium, are all jumping on the bandwagon now that the R is one of the greats, a must have in any collector's garage. It only took people on Rennlist like 5-6 years to come to this realization, lol.

It will be the same here with the 911ST vs. the GT3 Touring once again. The difference is this time, Porsche actually made a bigger effort in terms of the kit offered on the ST (compared to the Touring) than the R did. There are now magnesium wheels, carbon clutch, different fenders, shorter gearings, etc. Yes, the price has been significantly increased over the GT3 Touring. So what? The ST is expensive, sure. But that doesn't take away the fact that it is one of the greats in the water cooled 911 era. It's up there with the 911R and the 997 4.0.

GT3 Touring well, is just a GT3 without a wing. Porsche made zero changes on the Touring except the air box (same with the 991 generation), so why do Touring owners think their cars are so special? Beats the heck out of me and I owned both 991 and 992 GT3 Touring (both sold now)

Some people claim the GT3RS is the better value. Perhaps, but it will also be produced at more than triple the volume (over 6000 cars when production run is over). And I can tell you first hand (currently have a 992 GT3RS Tribute and have driven the ST), there is no doubt which car is the more special to drive and to keep in the long term. There will be another GT3RS down the line, but there won't be another ST.

Originally Posted by mass27
I don't follow this type of reasoning, especially on a car forum where presumably most people are successful and wealthy.

A platinum daytona is barely different than a steel daytona, yet it's 5X the price. How is it people do not understand the law of diminishing returns or the assignment of "value" in luxury items?

Last edited by unotaz; 01-23-2024 at 03:36 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by unotaz:
adr0104 (01-24-2024), BrntRubber (01-23-2024), cosmos (01-23-2024), dixonk (01-23-2024), ff2kracer (01-24-2024), Greek Car Geek (01-23-2024), mass27 (01-23-2024), neoprufrok (01-24-2024), PTS (01-23-2024), RealityGT (01-23-2024), SirWheel (01-24-2024), welikethetrack (01-23-2024) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2024 | 03:35 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by unotaz
GT3 Touring well, is just a GT3 without a wing. Porsche made zero changes on the Touring except the air box (same with the 991 generation), so why do Touring owners think their cars are so special? This sure beats the heck out of me
I will take "Because Touring's only made up 25% of total GT3 production for $200 Alex"
Old 01-23-2024 | 03:43 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Not bashing on the Touring, but it's a cosmetic trim option. Some like the wing and some don't

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I will take "Because Touring's only made up 25% of total GT3 production for $200 Alex"

The following users liked this post:
adr0104 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 03:46 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

LOL. I absolutely agree with you but this is a clear case of the "haves" and the "have nots".

Almost all of the haters on the ST are the same guys who have paid over sticker for their other GT cars. So this is just a case of some people can't justify the ADM being charged on the ST, so they naturally hate on the car because they simply can't afford it (or have the willingness to pay for the hefty premium to have one). People who are able to get the ST at MSRP are not complaining because they could get the other GT variants similarly at MSRP as well. So there is no bias there.

We went through this with the previous 991 generation of the 911R vs. GT3 Touring. It's funny how some of the people who bashed the 911R initially as inferior or not worth the premium, are all jumping on the bandwagon now that the R is one of the greats, a must have in any collector's garage. It only took people on Rennlist like 5-6 years to come to this realization, lol.

It will be the same here with the 911ST vs. the GT3 Touring once again. The difference is this time, Porsche actually made a bigger effort in terms of the kit offered on the ST (compared to the Touring) than the R did. There are now magnesium wheels, carbon clutch, different fenders, shorter gearings, etc. Yes, the price has been significantly increased over the GT3 Touring. So what? The ST is expensive, sure. But that doesn't take away the fact that it is one of the greats in the water cooled 911 era. It's up there with the 911R and the 997 4.0.

GT3 Touring well, is just a GT3 without a wing. Porsche made zero changes on the Touring except the air box (same with the 991 generation), so why do Touring owners think their cars are so special? Beats the heck out of me and I owned both 991 and 992 GT3 Touring (both sold now)

Some people claim the GT3RS is the better value. Perhaps, but it will also be produced at more than triple the volume (over 6000 cars when production run is over). And I can tell you first hand (currently have a 992 GT3RS Tribute and have driven the ST), there is no doubt which car is the more special to drive and to keep in the long term. There will be another GT3RS down the line, but there won't be another ST.
Only 2 people that post in this forum have driven the S/T, yourself and Mooty, and look at what you both have to say...the rest of the opinions in here as to how special the car is mean jack sh*t as far as I'm concerned.

I'm as guilty as the rest in here but I gotta stop feeding the Roofer flame. Some people are just born haters, and the worst haters are those that don't even realize it

As a huge fan of the Touring, how many they make doesn't have any relevance to what he said

Last edited by PTS; 01-23-2024 at 03:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS:
BrntRubber (01-23-2024), Greek Car Geek (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:02 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by disden
we all have to make decisions as to what price we put on improvements from model to model. I personally think spending $80k more for a Turbo S vs a GTS is absolutely ridiculous as the driving experience is similar, but a lot of people justify it and get a Turbo S. Same thing for the vast majority of people who buy a GT3 RS, they will never track it so other than peacocking around town are they really getting that much better of a driving experience then say a 911 T?Different strokes for different folks.
I feel with the 3RS its just different all the way around. I personally LOVE the feel of a high downforce car on spirited cruising off track. There's very little in terms of market that offer such. I'll personally never track mine, but will rack alot of miles up sending it to different roads around the country to wind through. I get your point though for the average user experience. Hell many people never see their factory speed limiter.
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:22 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Two things:

1-Do you know why the S/T has the “normal” 911 rear end and bacon strips / pause button CHMSL, whereas the GT3 touring has the more attractive version from the “base” GT3?

2-How will the S/T owner contingent feel if Porsche makes Matt Farah’s suggestions for the 992.2 touring?

I am smoking a cigar with an autojourno / YouTuber friend tonight who is at PEC ATL for something today; he has a 992 GT3 touring (personal car), so he may know on question 1.
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:29 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Yes, the price has been significantly increased over the GT3 Touring.
I agree with your post. Couple of points on the above:
1. The price delta between a current S/T and a current Touring is ~45K if they are optioned similarly. Everyone saying it is $100K more than a touring are being financial sloppy in their analysis. And, that is excluding some of the intangible S/T special stuff, e.g., lighter battery, shorter gear ratios, limited production, spoiler lip, etc.

2. Wait till the 992.2 Touring comes out. That 45K delta will be 15K at the end of production...or maybe less.

The cliff notes of ALL of the discussion on the S/T is quite simple: if you can buy one at MSRP, you will. If you can't, you may or may not, but you will most likely complain...repeatedly.
The following 7 users liked this post by mass27:
Diablo Dude (01-23-2024), DontLift (01-29-2024), Greek Car Geek (01-23-2024), GTS440 (01-23-2024), jo_ker (01-29-2024), PTS (01-23-2024), SirWheel (01-24-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:40 PM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Two things:

1-Do you know why the S/T has the “normal” 911 rear end and bacon strips / pause button CHMSL, whereas the GT3 touring has the more attractive version from the “base” GT3?

2-How will the S/T owner contingent feel if Porsche makes Matt Farah’s suggestions for the 992.2 touring?

I am smoking a cigar with an autojourno / YouTuber friend tonight who is at PEC ATL for something today; he has a 992 GT3 touring (personal car), so he may know on question 1.

As a 992 GT3T owner, I didn't like the rear deck... too much black plastic. I thought the 991 GT3T, however, very attractive with the longer thin brake light and small GT3 logo.

The following 3 users liked this post by dave2020:
Diablo Dude (01-23-2024), erik_plus8 (01-24-2024), Jason Zhang (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:45 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTS
As a huge fan of the Touring, how many they make doesn't have any relevance to what he said
I disagree.

He asked a general question as to WHY TOURING OWNERS FEEL special.
I simply offered a possible explanation. . . given that there are no technical differences and he even admitted as much.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 01-23-2024 at 04:53 PM.
adr0104 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:45 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by mass27
I agree with your post. Couple of points on the above:
1. The price delta between a current S/T and a current Touring is ~45K if they are optioned similarly. Everyone saying it is $100K more than a touring are being financial sloppy in their analysis. And, that is excluding some of the intangible S/T special stuff, e.g., lighter battery, shorter gear ratios, limited production, spoiler lip, etc.

2. Wait till the 992.2 Touring comes out. That 45K delta will be 15K at the end of production...or maybe less.

The cliff notes of ALL of the discussion on the S/T is quite simple: if you can buy one at MSRP, you will. If you can't, you may or may not, but you will most likely complain...repeatedly.
Some may be factoring the cost of lease for at least those in the US without 918 first rights.
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:50 PM
dave2020
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Two things:

Also, based on the look of the air intakes, I would think the GT3T deck would be incompatible with air intake requirements for the RS engine in the S/T, especially given absence of RS side scoops.
DontLift (01-29-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:53 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

I disagree.

He asked a general question as to WHY TOURING OWNERS FEEL special.
I simply offered a possible answer . . . given that there are no technical differences and he even admitted as much.
Doesn't leave much room for anything else really.
If that makes one feel special

Never crossed my mind in 8000 miles that the touring is more special because there are less of them than there are with a wing
Old 01-23-2024 | 04:55 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTS
If that makes one feel special

Never crossed my mind in 8000 miles that the touring is more special because there are less of them than there are with a wing
And in one year of ownership I've never seen another Touring in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Even at my local dealer.

GT3 winged cars . . . yes.
Just a data point.

Again, I merely offered an "explanation" as to WHY Touring owner's may feel special in reference to his question.
It isn't necessarily why I think it's special.

Now back to your regularly scheduled RL pissing match chest-thumping splitting hairs programming.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 01-23-2024 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 911ST