992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023 | 04:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by supershaft
Personally I think this is hilarious. People dying all over the world in some of the worst ways then seeing these arguments make me giggle. Like whose minds are you going to change here?
True. In that context, almost all of the discussions on RL are lame. I hope that most everyone sees RL primarily as a source of distraction, not a place where much of anything serious is discussed.

Having recently bought a McLaren, I joined the McLaren forum, and it's pretty quiet over there, almost a ghost town compared to RL. I wonder what Ferrari and Lambo forums are like - or maybe I don't want to know.
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm not going to argue that Porsche did everything they could with respect to engineering effort on the S/T. They certainly could have done more. But I feel like they left a bunch of potential improvements on the table for the 4RS also (particularly in the realm of suspension and wheel width/track).

Let's face it. Porsche's job as a company is to do as little as possible to make as much money as possible with its models. With that in mind, Porsche did "enough" engineering on both S/T and 4RS, as measured by the lines of people waiting to hand over their money
They could have made the 4RS better and faster, but then that would have been a problem for the GT3.
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I hope that most everyone sees RL primarily as a source of distraction, not a place where much of anything serious is discussed.
RL is like your daily horoscope.

For entertainment purposes only
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (08-20-2023), Manifold (08-20-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:06 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supershaft
People dying all over the world in some of the worst ways then seeing these arguments make me giggle. Like whose minds are you going to change here?
One thing has nothing to do with the other. People are able to compartmentalize their thoughts and empathy.

Fallacy of relative privation (also known as "appeal to worse problems" or "not as bad as") – dismissing an argument or complaint due to what are perceived to be more important problems. First World problems are a subset of this fallacy. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...this%20fallacy.

That said my spirit does die a little extra every time I visit this thread ... it's fine, it was already mostly gone only to be lifted by the occasional drive and/or begrudging smootch from mrs soulsea.
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Well this isn't a Tesla forum where everyone has to do the circle jerk or get banned.

Most of the time it's a good banter back and forth on differences in opinions. Rarely will there be someone going personal on someone else.

I don't like the spec/price/production number doesn't mean another cannot like the car enough to buy one, with or without ADM. Nor do I care if someone that buys is in it for the flip value, or just to park it in an air conditioned garage forever or put 50,000 miles on it a year. That the beauty of a free society, we are free to do or say whatever.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Manifold (08-20-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:12 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Well this isn't a Tesla forum where everyone has to do the circle jerk or get banned.

Most of the time it's a good banter back and forth on differences in opinions. Rarely will there be someone going personal on someone else.

I don't like the spec/price/production number doesn't mean another cannot like the car enough to buy one, with or without ADM. Nor do I care if someone that buys is in it for the flip value, or just to park it in an air conditioned garage forever or put 50,000 miles on it a year. That the beauty of a free society, we are free to do or say whatever.
Yeah it's fun to hear opposing view points and the back and forth can be fun (as long as it doesn't get personal). RL would be a very, very boring place if it was an echo chamber of fanboys falling all over themselves praising everything that Porsche sold. Unfortunately the US is slowly becoming less "free" as time goes on with the PC/woke movement but that's a discussion for another section of RL. Hell, if I met PTS and DD in person I would still buy them some BBQ and a beer.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Randy M (08-20-2023), shrimp money (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
One thing has nothing to do with the other. People are able to compartmentalize their thoughts and empathy.

Fallacy of relative privation (also known as "appeal to worse problems" or "not as bad as") – dismissing an argument or complaint due to what are perceived to be more important problems. First World problems are a subset of this fallacy. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...this%20fallacy.

That said my spirit does die a little extra every time I visit this thread ... it's fine, it was already mostly gone only to be lifted by the occasional drive and/or begrudging smootch from mrs soulsea.
Naming a supposed fallacy doesn't make it a real fallacy. I would say that part of maturity and wisdom is to have perspective and be able to distinguish between unimportant and important things (and no, I don't consider that to be entirely relative and subjective - people burning to death in Hawaii is really worse than the ST being hard to get).

OK, time to go for a drive ...
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:31 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drifting
Am I wrong in my recall that there are very few cars with a supercharger that Don’t overheat on the track? I had a few tracks friends with supercharged mustangs, and none of them could do a 30 min track session.
That’s a separate question.

My point is that the Mustang GTD - despite having a name derived from a Motorsport class, as “GTD” is what IMSA calls Stephane Ratel’s GT3 racing class - is emphatically NOT the homologation car that will allow the Mustang to race in GT3 and GTD, notwithstanding any misinformation from the sycophants in the media.

Larry Holt confirmed this fact; furthermore, it is obvious given the GTD has a supercharger, whereas the race car will not. Side note, the Mustang GTD also has “DRS,” just like the GT3 RS - funny thing how the brands that actually race in Formula 1 do not bother putting DRS on their road cars, whereas the wannabe brands who are not in F1 (Porsche, Ford) are playing pretend / dress-up.
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm not going to argue that Porsche did everything they could with respect to engineering effort on the S/T. They certainly could have done more. But I feel like they left a bunch of potential improvements on the table for the 4RS also (particularly in the realm of suspension and wheel width/track).

Let's face it. Porsche's job as a company is to do as little as possible to make as much money as possible with its models. With that in mind, Porsche did "enough" engineering on both S/T and 4RS, as measured by the lines of people waiting to hand over their money
That's limited by the 'ancient' platform, at the end of the day, it was sharing the platform with 991 and Porsche already moved onto 992, and there won't be another Cayman/Boxster coming based off the 992 platform, the new one will be a EV. HQ isn't going to let them spend extra money on top of what was already spent.

Porsche basically made a 'hot rod' with the 4RS, stuffing their biggest engine into their smallest car, and made it handle up to the limitation of the platform used. Could they use more composite material to make the car lighter, sure, but the car wasn't billed as the 'lightest'. It was, after all, basically started as just an after hour project from the bored engineers in Weissach. The 'what if we do this' project so to speak. I was very lucky to be on the grounds at Weissach to witness and speak with the relevance people there about the 4RS. Even then it wasn't green light yet, Frank pushed very hard to get it approved but wasn't there yet. It wasn't suppose to see the light of day like many more project cars in Weissach, but boy am I glad it did.

Being able to see behind the curtain gave me a different perspective on seeing their final products than others. Knowing what their capabilities are got me to set the bar higher. And the S/T doesn't go higher enough to cross that bar for me.

The S/T didn't even come close to that kind of developmental effort, nor the Dakar level either. It is, say on par with a GTS trim level effort. The engine was already developed with the 3RS, the chassis just from the GT3 Touring. New gears for he new gearing are made from the same material, just differs in tooth count, no need to be re-validated. The extra vibration from the single mass is well within the tolerance to start off with. I mean they did have to retune the suspension to be softer, but that's child's play as they have baseline profiles for basically all road usage, and no like the suspension needed to handle jumps and off-road obstacles like the Dakar.

The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
AlexCeres (08-20-2023), AmneZia (08-23-2023), GrantG (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:39 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

... people burning to death in Hawaii is really worse than the ST being hard to get).
You don't say.

The fallacy isn't not knowing something so obvious, the fallacy is bringing something like that up in this thread when no one suggested it was.
The fallacy is that under that premise no discussion of anything that's not equally as terrible as the worst things can ever be had.

I agree and also think it's ridiculous that some people get their panties in a bunch about allocations, adms, or whatever else is vexing them about this or any other car ... but I still don't hit them with the 'there are bigger problems in the world' card unless they really go of off the reservation thinking themselves an actual victim. A person can both be disappointed with not being able to get something they desire and be crushed by what they watch on the news, emotions are not zero sum, one doesn't take away from another. It's simply a ridiculous thing to introduce in a car conversation just to get to stand on one's high horse.

Btw, high horse ADMs also a thing.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
That's limited by the 'ancient' platform, at the end of the day, it was sharing the platform with 991 and Porsche already moved onto 992, and there won't be another Cayman/Boxster coming based off the 992 platform, the new one will be a EV. HQ isn't going to let them spend extra money on top of what was already spent.

Porsche basically made a 'hot rod' with the 4RS, stuffing their biggest engine into their smallest car, and made it handle up to the limitation of the platform used. Could they use more composite material to make the car lighter, sure, but the car wasn't billed as the 'lightest'. It was, after all, basically started as just an after hour project from the bored engineers in Weissach. The 'what if we do this' project so to speak. I was very lucky to be on the grounds at Weissach to witness and speak with the relevance people there about the 4RS. Even then it wasn't green light yet, Frank pushed very hard to get it approved but wasn't there yet. It wasn't suppose to see the light of day like many more project cars in Weissach, but boy am I glad it did.

Being able to see behind the curtain gave me a different perspective on seeing their final products than others. Knowing what their capabilities are got me to set the bar higher. And the S/T doesn't go higher enough to cross that bar for me.

The S/T didn't even come close to that kind of developmental effort, nor the Dakar level either. It is, say on par with a GTS trim level effort. The engine was already developed with the 3RS, the chassis just from the GT3 Touring. New gears for he new gearing are made from the same material, just differs in tooth count, no need to be re-validated. The extra vibration from the single mass is well within the tolerance to start off with. I mean they did have to retune the suspension to be softer, but that's child's play as they have baseline profiles for basically all road usage, and no like the suspension needed to handle jumps and off-road obstacles like the Dakar.
So what got the 4RS past the finish line in terms of getting the green light to be produced by PAG? The strong 718/981 GT4 sales?
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Naming a supposed fallacy doesn't make it a real fallacy. I would say that part of maturity and wisdom is to have perspective and be able to distinguish between unimportant and important things (and no, I don't consider that to be entirely relative and subjective - people burning to death in Hawaii is really worse than the ST being hard to get).

OK, time to go for a drive ...
No, the worse is if you had a S/T allocation and burned to death in Maui.

Old 08-20-2023 | 04:49 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, the worse is if you had a S/T allocation and burned to death in Maui.

Even worse than that would be being in an ST which you bought for MSRP and you burned to death in the car in Maui.
Old 08-20-2023 | 04:56 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I find it interesting a guy like Whoopsy provided his personal/honest feedback on a car based on “his” experience Porsche could have done better. The guy could take the car, and flip it for who knows what, he got out of the batters box because he didn’t like the pitch. Basically he allowed someone to take the allocation that wants the car ……why is that so bad? The car doesn’t give him the burn that he wants to own it ………Porsche doesn’t always do it’s best for the customer, and it’s a public company and many of you know the finance guys want margin.

If you allow the mentality Porsche can do no wrong it becomes a “cult”, and once they see blood in the water they will sell you anything to remove your wallet for margin. By the way I have zero problem with Porsche hustling dollars, but I do appreciate guys like Whoopsy’s perspective because he will not always “gulp” the Jim Jones koolaid ……you all know how that turned out.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-20-2023 at 06:32 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Maverick787:
Drifting (08-20-2023), Jason Zhang (08-20-2023), Manifold (08-20-2023), pcar-yvr (08-21-2023), ToasterThief (08-24-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2023 | 05:13 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Hell, if I met PTS and DD in person I would still buy them some BBQ and a beer.
If I didn't have to hear your broken record of calling dealerships stealers and how you get your cars at MSRP, we'd probably share several beers
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
cosmos (08-21-2023), Diablo Dude (08-20-2023), goin2drt (08-20-2023), shrimp money (08-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST