Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 11:25 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
An off-roading 911 (which makes zero sense to begin with) trumping everything from Porsche?...you know what they say about opinions.

I'd wager you're the only person on the planet with that one. Aesthetically alone the Dakar looks dumb. I couldn't care less if my sports car can go in the mud. There are a million badass SUVs for that type of fun
Well that's your "opinion"..
I'd like to go for a rip in our snowy winters in Canada... however unlikely it may be for me... I'm sure many like Whoopsy, will tear it up in the snow.
I had a blast when I went for the Ice Experience in Quebec... YMMV
Old 08-16-2023, 11:27 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
For 2700 lbs you need a carbon tub.
Or you need to be close friends with Robert Linton (on Rennlist)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:30 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
An off-roading 911 (which makes zero sense to begin with) trumping everything from Porsche?...you know what they say about opinions.

I'd wager you're the only person on the planet with that one. Aesthetically alone the Dakar looks dumb. I couldn't care less if my sports car can go in the mud. There are a million badass SUVs for that type of fun

If it makes zero sense, Porsche wouldn't have spent all that time and money to develop it in the first place you know.

It's a fun car. It's a unique car. It recalls the heritage from the 80s when they put a 911 to race against others in the Dakar Rally and won it outright.

You don't have to get one if it's not your cup of tea.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:32 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Well that's your "opinion"..
I'd like to go for a rip in our snowy winters in Canada... however unlikely it may be for me... I'm sure many like Whoopsy, will tear it up in the snow.
I had a blast when I went for the Ice Experience in Quebec... YMMV
Of course that’s my opinion. Didn’t say you’re not allowed to have them. Was pointing out that I would wager he is far and alone with his. Who else would take a Dakar over a 918? LOL

If you have Dakar money then you have Cayenne Turbo GT / X5M Comp money. Why on earth would you buy a sports car that can go through the dirt when there are SUVs that can out perform it on the dirt and on the streets, and with more seats
Old 08-16-2023, 11:37 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Can you elaborate; I believe that PMNA is/was? building engines for Singer.

There are rumors that a “Dakar” model or package may be part of the model range from 992.2 forward, based on the success of the limited Dakar model (a la 911 R —> GT3 Touring); have you heard anything?

For a while Singer was in trouble. Until a couple billionaires inject some much needed cash into the company and voila, they get to where they are now. I know both from the 918 program and one of those investors is here in Rennlist actually. And no, PMNA doesn't build engines for them.

If the business case is there, it's simple fro Porsche to do it as the development is all done. With them making 2500 Dakars, there aren't too many that missed the boat however.
The following users liked this post:
Guest89 (08-16-2023)
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Hmm, I guess we all don't like the same stuff. Who knew?!
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If it makes zero sense, Porsche wouldn't have spent all that time and money to develop it in the first place you know.
I bet the Dakar is a blast. I'm pointing out I do not get the point of it in today's world where there are insanely capable, 600+hp SUVs for that what the Dakar is built for.

Maybe Porsche could've allocated more of their time and money into cars like the S/T if they weren't focused on a sports car that can drive through the dirt
momo360 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:42 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A 2700lb ST would have given every driver a $500k boner. Kidneys would have been offered in the RL Marketplace. There would be zero criticism in this thread.
Porsche releases a car with zero criticism from RL. Good one.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:43 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

The only "mistake" Porsche made with the Dakar was keeping it limited production. I still think in a few years Porsche will release it as an available trim or option. Nonetheless, everyone has a different use case, driving a Dakar through the mud/sand in a smaller footprint will give you a vastly different experience than a larger SUV. But lets be honest, buyers will just drive them on public roads and the extra ground clearance is a nice to have.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:44 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

If it makes zero sense, Porsche wouldn't have spent all that time and money to develop it in the first place you know..
I think I'm on fairly solid ground when I say that you, and I, and everyone else has no idea what they spent time and money on.

Also, for the part of the country/planet who lives in harsh weather conditions during half the year, objectively the Dakar will not work. I can tell you from many years of experience that when there are FEET of snow for half the year, you may be able to use the Dakar once in a while. The rest of the time, you need MUCH more utility, in all definitions of the word. You are maxing out at 20 mph many times.

Don't get me wrong, it would be a blast on a snow or ice course, but that is not a reality that 99% of people would experience.

Perhaps this is better suited for the high desert areas, but once again, that is a specific road trip destination.

Last edited by mass27; 08-16-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Diablo Dude (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:45 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
If you have Dakar money then you have Cayenne Turbo GT / X5M Comp money. Why on earth would you buy a sports car that can go through the dirt when there are SUVs that can out perform it on the dirt and on the streets, and with more seats
A Cayenne or X5 can't outperform a Dakar. And you would get a Dakar because it's far more fun. A Dakar is much lighter and much more agile than any SUV. I own a modified Macan Turbo and got in line for a Dakar. Lastly, every person I know who ordered a Dakar is using it as intended. They have property in rural areas or live near mountains. I'm sure there are a few that are sitting in a garage but many are being used as intended. I can't drive a 911 where I live half the year. That's why I want a Dakar.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:47 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
A Cayenne or X5 can't outperform a Dakar. And you would get a Dakar because it's far more fun. A Dakar is much lighter and much more agile than any SUV. I own a modified Macan Turbo and got in line for a Dakar. Lastly, every person I know who ordered a Dakar is using it as intended. They have property in rural areas or live near mountains. I'm sure there are a few that are sitting in a garage but many are being used as intended. I can't drive a 911 where I live half the year. That's why I want a Dakar.

https://youtu.be/Kj7bkzjeTlc?si=QQk3jm2Lc5E52ZD8
That's a base level Cayenne, a Turbo GT would outperform a Dakar all day. I didn't say no one with a Dakar will use them as they were intended. I say the intention makes little to no sense to me. Good for you guys, one less person who wants one!
Old 08-16-2023, 11:53 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
That's a base level Cayenne, a Turbo GT would outperform a Dakar all day. I didn't say no one with a Dakar will use them as they were intended. I say the intention makes little to no sense to me. Good for you guys, one less person who wants one!
The Cayenne Turbo GT comes with P Zero Corsas. Dakar with proper AT rally tires designed for the car. The Cayenne's suspension is optimized for performance at the Ring. The Dakar's suspension took years to develop and is designed for the car to be able to handle off road terrain and jumps. I don't understand how anyone can think that a 5,000 lb sport SUV can outperform a 3,500 lb rally car with the above differences. Open to hearing you logic...

Last edited by Wilder; 08-16-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:55 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Of course that’s my opinion. Didn’t say you’re not allowed to have them. Was pointing out that I would wager he is far and alone with his. Who else would take a Dakar over a 918? LOL

Because.........it can?

Same can be said of the Cayenne turbo GT. It's an SUV, so why did Porsche tuned it for the track?

A few years ago, I was in Paul Ricard attending a Porsche driving school. It rained heavily one afternoon and they decided to parked all the GT3RSs that we were using and take everyone out on taxi rides.......in Cayenne turbo Ss.

We were sideways drifting through EVERY corner. That was so much fun. Once back into the pits I immediately called up my dealer to secure a Cayenne turbo S build slot and send him my config the next day while still in France.

What did I do when the new car arrived a few months later? I went on my track Area 27 and did laps! Granted I didn't go on the fast group, but the Cayenne was good enough to pass quite a few people, even in Caymans.

That's call fun.

Seats. Could it be that having more seats may not be a feature I am looking for? Depending on the car, having 2 seats is one too many 😉
Old 08-16-2023, 12:11 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
The Cayenne Turbo GT comes with P Zero Corsas. Dakar with proper AT rally tires designed for the car. The Cayenne's suspension is optimized for performance at the Ring. The Dakar's suspension took years to develop and is designed for the car to be able to handle off road terrain and jumps. I don't understand how anyone can think that a 5,000 lb sport SUV can outperform a 3,500 lb rally car with the above differences. Open to hearing you logic...
You do know you can swap tires, right? I swap tires on my Touring for the track, I'd swap tires on my Cayenne if I were going off-roading.

Cayennes have an off-road mode as well. I'm sure it's not as fine tuned for that climate as the Dakar but it's there and I'd bet a Turbo GT with the right tires would outperform a Dakar. Just my guess.

Hopefully someone will perform that test so we can see.

Because.........it can?

Same can be said of the Cayenne turbo GT. It's an SUV, so why did Porsche tuned it for the track?
Because they can perform on a track and the street. I've tracked multiple Cayennes and other SUVs. It is a riot.

Last edited by PTS; 08-16-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 911ST