Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 12:35 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I would wager if you drove the same 2 cars back to back on track, one with RAS and one without, your butt meter could certainly tell the difference.

I am curious to hear from the Porsche engineers as to their reasoning to remove it on the S/T since it is more geared towards being a street car.
That is probably true because I would only bring one car out to the track and it would be weeks or months apart where I would bring a 991 GT3/RS versus a GT4. I do know that it would take me a few sessions to get used to driving the GT3/RS compared to driving the GT4s and vice versa because they behaved differently (the GT3/RSs liked late trail braking with late apexing while the GT4 liked earlier braking and throttle steering into and out of the apex).
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:39 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
That is probably true because I would only bring one car out to the track and it would be weeks or months apart where I would bring a 991 GT3/RS versus a GT4. I do know that it would take me a few sessions to get used to driving the GT3/RS compared to driving the GT4s and vice versa because they behaved differently (the GT3/RSs liked late trail braking with late apexing while the GT4 liked earlier braking and throttle steering into and out of the apex).
That’s likely more the mid-engine vs rear-engine effect.

The RWS feeling is a mid-corner oversteer sensation that turns into a grip-and-go on exit as the rear swings more than you would expect and the straightens up so the car can squat. If you aren’t used to it, it can feel like the rear is letting go and you are about to spin. So, advanced drivers don’t like it because it slows them down as they are thinking they need to make a baby save.

Last edited by raymort; 08-03-2023 at 12:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
Diablo Dude (08-03-2023), GT3 Mike (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:43 AM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 308 Posts

Let’s see some builds after all this waiting since 2022 when this chat started ! We do come here for some fun.
911Vintage (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:44 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
How many pro racing series run RAS?
Do cup cars have RAS?

We can argue semantics all day long, but it’s one of the many digital/hardware technologies that make big heavy street cars easier to drive on the road and on track.

Again, I’m not arguing for or against it, I love how it works on all my recent 911s including the 992 GT3 … I’m just arguing for waiting to see how the ST drives without it before having an opinion.
Many race cars have mechanical suspensions with similar characteristics to what RAS accomplishes. It's just MUCH more expensive and maintenance-heavy to do it mechanically, though. Also, if race car does not have some performance-improvement thingy, it's usually because it's outlawed by rules. Otherwise, they put everything and kitchen sink in it, grasping at every straw to get more performance AND to make cars easier to drive, especially for endurance racing, where not crashing is more than half the job.
AlexCeres (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:46 AM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I would wager if you drove the same 2 cars back to back on track, one with RAS and one without, your butt meter could certainly tell the difference.

I am curious to hear from the Porsche engineers as to their reasoning to remove it on the S/T since it is more geared towards being a street car.
I bet its all in the name of weight savings... and considering most will be delivered into vaults and the only podiums they will ever cross will be at Barrett Jackson.
Old 08-03-2023, 12:52 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Many race cars have mechanical suspensions with similar characteristics to what RAS accomplishes. It's just MUCH more expensive and maintenance-heavy to do it mechanically, though. Also, if race car does not have some performance-improvement thingy, it's usually because it's outlawed by rules. Otherwise, they put everything and kitchen sink in it, grasping at every straw to get more performance AND to make cars easier to drive, especially for endurance racing, where not crashing is more than half the job.
Exactly, even F1 cars have no RAS, no traction control, no ABS, and it’s not like they’re lacking technology or money.
Why? To some degree for cost and bop, but mostly to prioritize driver skill over technology.
Imagine that.
Old 08-03-2023, 12:54 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Exactly, even F1 cars have no RAS, no traction control, no ABS, and it’s not like they’re lacking technology or money.
Why? To some degree for cost and bop, but mostly to prioritize driver skill over technology.
Imagine that.
True, but they have big *** sticky tires to die for too.
Diablo Dude (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:00 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS

To make it more different from GT3 Touring, probably?

On lower-ranked 911s, geared more towards being a street car, RAS is an extra cost option.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,378 Likes on 637 Posts

specced a few out today as an exercise. 345k msrp
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (08-03-2023), Ukkid74 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:55 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
specced a few out today as an exercise. 345k msrp
You’re forgetting lined Frunk, glovebox, different wheel color, some additional interior bits painted and leather lined and standard colors are just well, standard.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:35 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Who cares the Cup cars? They dont have PCCB too,
RWS just make a different engineering chassis layout as mid vs rear engine do, or for that matter just think the front wishbone, are wishbones nannies??? Ridicoulus

RWS is just faster and less prone to oversteers Period

Would i want something (no rws) that erase front beneifit of wishbones but keep only the cost (reactivness) ? I doubt it

Old 08-03-2023, 03:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,821 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I just get kids asking me to 'throw some revs' and taking pictures. It's fukin' annoying.

Too bad wing is small, no room for donuts or bbq table. 914/6, top down, 100 degrees out, 2000 miles hardcore road trip, 1/2 of it spent sideways. That is raw.
I was not going total straight not sideways hahaha
Old 08-03-2023, 04:06 AM
GTS440
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

With 992.2 just around the corner, are we still expecting a last 992.1 Heritage model, or is the S/T in Heritage trim that car?
Old 08-03-2023, 04:35 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
GT3 is already pretty light, considering the dimensions of the car. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to further reduce weight. Noble effort, but it doesn't justify the MSRP being $100k overpriced.

IMO, GT3 RS at MSRP is the value play among the GT cars - it's a lot of money, but also a lot of car. Unlike anything else on the market and way cheaper than exotics.
I have to say my 992.1 3RS WP is a phenomenal car! The looks and the driving experience are top notch. Big step up from the 991.2 and the experience is that of a much higher price point than my 992 Touring with exclusive interior (look, feel, driving tech, etc).

We all thought the suspension would be unbearable on anything but the best roads and it is fine.

The 3RS is a special, special car to me. Prior to taking delivery, I was underwhelmed as the improvements vs previous gen were mostly aero but man the total package is amazing! The presence alone is on another level and worth a big price delta.

I have never driven the R, but it seems unanimous it is something truly special, even present day, when the touring have better engines etc.

I don't think the ST will be anything short of amazing. Porsche know what they are doing. I want one that's for sure!

From a bang for buck standpoint, I agree with Manifold, the 3RS at considerably less money seems hard to beat. Porsche are for sure cashing in on part of the ADM with ST.

Either way, I suspect Porsche will repeat what they did with the new 3RS, improving significantly on the 991.2 and the ST will be a much improved R.

Very Exciting Times!!!! Going for a drive now!

Last edited by BrntRubber; 08-03-2023 at 04:39 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BrntRubber:
911Vintage (08-03-2023), AlexCeres (08-03-2023), arek (08-04-2023), JackOlsen (08-03-2023), RolandT (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 04:52 AM
MeisterH
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I have to say my 992.1 3RS WP is a phenomenal car! The looks and the driving experience are top notch. Big step up from the 991.2 and the experience is that of a much higher price point than my 992 Touring with exclusive interior (look, feel, driving tech, etc).

We all thought the suspension would be unbearable on anything but the best roads and it is fine.

The 3RS is a special, special car to me. Prior to taking delivery, I was underwhelmed as the improvements vs previous gen were mostly aero but man the total package is amazing! The presence alone is on another level and worth a big price delta.

I have never driven the R, but it seems unanimous it is something truly special, even present day, when the touring have better engines etc.

I don't think the ST will be anything short of amazing. Porsche know what they are doing. I want one that's for sure!

From a bang for buck standpoint, I agree with Manifold, the 3RS at considerably less money seems hard to beat. Porsche are for sure cashing in on part of the ADM with ST.

Either way, I suspect Porsche will repeat what they did with the new 3RS, improving significantly on the 991.2 and the ST will be a much improved R.

Very Exciting Times!!!! Going for a drive now!

When do you expect to get the 'call' to spec your car?

Quick Reply: 911ST