Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023 | 11:17 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by raymort
How fast do people get these cars up to when the unload them from the trailer to the service floor when they haul the car to the dealer for the annual oil change? I bet they are gonna really enjoy that shorter gearing going from 0 to 10 mph.
Bingo.

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:18 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

As much as I would like one of these, or an RS, we all know I am not likely to without some crazy ADM on top of the MSRP. So then my mind wanders to what other Porsches can I get with that kind of money... a 964 Carrera RS certainly fits the bill dollar wise. There have been a bunch on BaT lately, though that alone seems suspicious to me as 1) there weren't a lot of them made and 2) none originally came to the US. I can pay more and get a 911 Reimagined by Singer, the what is now being referred to as the Classic model or the first. That to me is far more special than the whatever iteration of the 992 made on an assembly line with a ridiculous ADM.
heshalosny (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:28 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vcp13
… anyhow, very curious about this aspect of the car. ap doesn't miss so i'm sure they've figured it out.
It’s been about nine years since a 911 GT car hasn’t had RAS … I am all but certain that unless deleting it added a special dimension to the car, never mind lessened the car, AP would have never let it go past their first test drive. Obviously they have found something there and it will certainly differentiate the driving dynamics from the other GT cars… will it be mostly contrived for marketing’s sake or the elusive fairy dust is yet to be determined, bit it is the kind of stuff fairy dust has a chance to be made of.

What’s interesting to me is how so many people bemoan what all the latest nannies have taken away from the purity of driving by disallowing the driver to dictate their own mistakes without being saved by hardware and coding. Yet here, without RAS, we have a throwback to a more dare I say analog experience, yet so many people are now bemoaning the fact that the car won’t help them. One of the primary reasons the SC is so special is with turbo lag reintroduced, more power than a GT3RS, RWD, and non sticky tires, it will allow you to kill yourself if you don’t know how to accelerate out of a corner, and hopefully the ST will also allow for that in it’s own way.

Last edited by soulsea; 08-02-2023 at 11:37 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by soulsea:
AlexCeres (08-03-2023), Grunspan (08-03-2023), PTS (08-03-2023), Wilder (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
It’s been about nine years since a 911 GT car hasn’t had RAS … I am all but certain that unless deleting it added a special dimension to the car, never mind lessened the car, AP would have never let it go past their first test drive. Obviously they have found something there and it will certainly differentiate the driving dynamics from the other GT cars… will it be mostly contrived for marketing’s sake or the elusive fairy dust is yet to be determined, bit it is the kind of stuff fairy dust can be made of.

What’s interesting to me is how so many people bemoan what all the latest nannies have taken away from the purity of driving by disallowing the driver to dictate their own mistakes without being saved by hardware and coding. Yet here, without RAS, we have a throwback to a more dare I say analog experience, yet so many people are now bemoaning the fact that the car won’t help them. One of the primary reasons the SC is so special is with turbo lag reintroduced, more power than a GT3RS, RWD, and non sticky tires, it will allow you to kill yourself if you don’t know how to accelerate out of a corner, and hopefully the ST will also allow for that in it’s own way. If you want all the modern nannies, be it for peak performance on track or to be able to let the car figure itself out without need for precision, the TTS is available.
I for one love the nannies (aka auto-save) on the 997 and up GT cars, it allows me to really push the car and not have really bad things happen when I make a small mistake going for the PB lap times. This is one of the reasons why I won't ever buy an antique Porsche because I also like the navi, carplay, power steering, and ABS as well as the nannies.
raymort (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:42 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I for one love the nannies (aka auto-save) on the 997 and up GT cars, it allows me to really push the car and not have really bad things happen when I make a small mistake going for the PB lap times. This is one of the reasons why I won't ever buy an antique Porsche because I also like the navi, carplay, power steering, and ABS as well as the nannies.
I actually completely agree. On track you want all the help you can get. In my experience the fastest drivers will go faster without nannies but us mortals will go faster with them, and they will certainly cure many of our mistakes.

The ST isn’t a track car, I think I heard AP say outright if your want a track car this isn’t for you, so I’m guessing that they compromised track performance because they found that deleting RAS added something better to the street experience, if not a standalone element then in the entire package … i don’t know this to be true, time will tell, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t just wing it or try to make it worse than the GT3.
usctrojanGT3 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I actually completely agree. On track you want all the help you can get. In my experience the fastest drivers will go faster without nannies but us mortals will go faster with them, and they will certainly cure many of our mistakes.

The ST isn’t a track car, I think I heard AP say outright if your want a track car this isn’t for you, so I’m guessing that they compromised track performance because they found that deleting RAS added something better to the street experience, if not a standalone element then in the entire package … i don’t know this to be true, time will tell, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t just wing it or try to make it worse than the GT3.
Yeah I wish I had half the skills of Pat Long to be able to correct mistakes in the blind of an eye but I'm just a wanna-be racer. There's just something confidence inspiring knowing that there's the helping hand of the Porsche engineers to keep you out of trouble when small mistakes are made at speed, especially having the fear of hurting yourself by going flat out.
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

RWS isn't a nanny. It changes the effective wheelbase of the car based on the speed of the car, giving the effect of a shorter wheelbase in tighter slower corners and a longer wheelbase in faster sweepers. It doesn't change any parameters to correct for a driver's errors to 'save' a driver.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
Diablo Dude (08-03-2023), MaxLTV (08-03-2023), RUF RS (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023 | 11:50 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

I would also add with the nannies, you can do laps more consistently and comfortably as a non-pro driver. That has a value in my opinion and makes it that much more enjoyable.
usctrojanGT3 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:13 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
RWS isn't a nanny. It changes the effective wheelbase of the car based on the speed of the car, giving the effect of a shorter wheelbase in tighter slower corners and a longer wheelbase in faster sweepers. It doesn't change any parameters to correct for a driver's errors to 'save' a driver.
How many pro racing series run RAS?
Do cup cars have RAS?

We can argue semantics all day long, but it’s one of the many digital/hardware technologies that make big heavy street cars easier to drive on the road and on track.

Again, I’m not arguing for or against it, I love how it works on all my recent 911s including the 992 GT3 … I’m just arguing for waiting to see how the ST drives without it before having an opinion.

Last edited by soulsea; 08-03-2023 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:24 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
RWS isn't a nanny in my opinion, I was referring to stability control and traction control where the car steps in to brake one or two wheels to keep the car within a certain tolerance. I honestly can't tell the difference having RWS or not having it because I just don't have the kind of precise butt meter feel.
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:27 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I honestly can't tell the difference having RWS or not having it because I just don't have the kind of precise butt meter feel.
I would wager if you drove the same 2 cars back to back on track, one with RAS and one without, your butt meter could certainly tell the difference.

I am curious to hear from the Porsche engineers as to their reasoning to remove it on the S/T since it is more geared towards being a street car.
Diablo Dude (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:30 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

I hate RAS, makes the car feel artificial.
DontLift (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:31 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
I would wager if you drove the same 2 cars back to back on track, one with RAS and one without, your butt meter could certainly tell the difference.

I am curious to hear from the Porsche engineers as to their reasoning to remove it on the S/T since it is more geared towards being a street car.
Yep, I bet much of the DWB feel people sense in slow and tight turns is actually a lot of RWS.
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Do cup cars have RAS?

We can argue semantics all day long, but it’s one of the many digital/hardware technologies that make big heavy street cars easier to drive on the road and on track.

Again, I’m not arguing for or against it, I love how it works on all my recent 911s including the 992 GT3 … I’m just arguing for waiting to see how the ST drives without it before having an opinion.
My point is that nannies make sudden adjustments to the car to prevent crashing when the driver has lost control. RAS doesn’t do that. Stability control and traction control do that. ABS arguably does as well.

I put RAS in the same category as PASM, PTV, and PDCC: things that improve vehicle dynamics and performance, not save the driver from mistakes.

I’m sure the ST will drive fine without RAS. But not necessarily better.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-03-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2023 | 12:33 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Do cup cars have RAS?

I’m 99.9% sure the Cup does NOT have RWS.

Quick Reply: 911ST