Sponsored by:

PCCB very dusty!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 11:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I can tell you that Porsche is well aware of this thread. At this point, I would have never ordered these brakes if I knew what I was getting.
It always surprises me that issues like this can pop up for a customer after so many 1000's of miles of factory testing.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:29 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It always surprises me that issues like this can pop up for a customer after so many 1000's of miles of factory testing.

They might have already have known, but was forced to push the product out anyways. You can't stay on hold while R&D looks for a better solution.

I bet other manufactures are also dealing with this issue.

Having said that, Porsche also has to be very careful here as they are charging almost $10K for the PCCB option (which most other manufactures do not offer), which is supposed to be a superior choice over the steel brakes. If that ends up not being the case, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers with $10K PCCB option brakes, when they could have saved that money and just gone aftermarket.

I had the judder issue on my F80 M3, but it was with the steel brakes. They replaced all 4 pads and rotors 4 times under warranty, and it always come back within 1000 miles. Ended up lemon lawing that POS.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:29 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 912 Posts

I dont see the point of ordering PCCBs anymore.

also it cracks me up where the EU car manufacturers are heading and where their american counterparts are. You dont see the funky noise regulations impacting corvettes or copper pads. Its so funny and sad. Would you have ever thought 20 years ago that these EU people would scare easily and completely tame the sports cars and americans would build 5.5 liter flat plane crank V8s with no noise, emissions fear? They dont give a **** about pollution or noise or whatever else. Porsche keeps going towards electrical cars where corvette is going the opposite. How do they let this happen? Why cant they move their factories to america where none of this crap exists?
The following users liked this post:
Alan C. (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 08:46 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Easy to check if anyone has these pads handy. The copper environmental compliance markings are on the back of the pad showing either A, B, or N. A is the good stuff. B is the < 5% Cu (2021 regulation), and N is the < 0.5% (2025 regulation).

991.2 GT3 iron pads were marked A. The 992 GT3 iron pads posted in the other thread showed Porsche jumped all the way to N, so it’s not surprising there was a big performance difference there.

I’m curious what the 991.2 GT3 PCCB and 992 GT3 PCCB pad markings are and if it was a similar jump from A to N.

MY. 991 pads arrive tomorrow. I can look at them when I pull the stock pads. I have to do some measurements on the 991 pads and compare to the 992 before I can actually install them.
Alan C. (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

MY. 991 pads arrive tomorrow. I can look at them when I pull the stock pads. I have to do some measurements on the 991 pads and compare to the 992 before I can actually install them.
They should show a marking like “A20” (meaning A-level compliance manufactured in 2020), or “N21” (N-compliance manufactured in 2021), etc.

There are also friction coefficient markings on the pads, but it’s not clear how relevant that is to the behavior here. Either way do please post photos of the back of the 991 and 992 GT3 PCCB pads.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals

also it cracks me up where the EU car manufacturers are heading and where their american counterparts are. You dont see the funky noise regulations impacting corvettes or copper pads. Its so funny and sad. Would you have ever thought 20 years ago that these EU people would scare easily and completely tame the sports cars and americans would build 5.5 liter flat plane crank V8s with no noise, emissions fear? They dont give a **** about pollution or noise or whatever else. Porsche keeps going towards electrical cars where corvette is going the opposite. How do they let this happen? Why cant they move their factories to america where none of this crap exists?
You are kidding yourself if you think GM won't be going that way too. They just do it slightly differently. The Z06 can currently get by in Europe because it's a low volume car, that's the only reason. Porsche would not be in a different position if they moved to the US. They would still sell a lot of cars in the EU and thus have to abide by the regulations.

I think the new GMC E Hummer is a clear indication as to how invested in electrics GM actually is. There will definitely be electric GM sports cars in the future. Not all of the US in into ICE driven cars, many there also want the E thing.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:38 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
You are kidding yourself if you think GM won't be going that way too. They just do it slightly differently. The Z06 can currently get by in Europe because it's a low volume car, that's the only reason. Porsche would not be in a different position if they moved to the US. They would still sell a lot of cars in the EU and thus have to abide by the regulations.

I think the new GMC E Hummer is a clear indication as to how invested in electrics GM actually is. There will definitely be electric GM sports cars in the future. Not all of the US in into ICE driven cars, many there also want the E thing.
I dont think you know much about Americans (sarcasm - I m pretty sure you do). Ever watched the documentaries on Saturn V rockets and the Apollo program? The amount of resources and sheer brute force capabilities this country have is unparalleled.

Corvette spent several billion dollars and 8 years to develop a 5.5 liter flat plane crank. Who does that?

2-3 years ago, Ferrari had to go make turbo charged 488s, when designing the C7 ZR1, Corvette says the C7 Z06 needs to make more power and adds a second set of fuel injection system that can run the entire gas tank dry in 14 minutes. It is absolutely absurd amount of CO this car makes. Every time I start my ZR1, the garage smells like you have no idea. But its so good!

You have these silly noise rules that says below an rpm dB has to be X and pedestrian regulations that mandate how the front bumper has to be. What do they say? We dont give a **** about EU and not even bother selling a ZR1 there. They simply dont care about any of these rules. They care about EU to simply be able to show off to Porsche/Ferrari/etc but they dont need to sell any Corvettes in europe the way Porsche has to sell to survive.

I used to live in EU and maintain a pretty massive network of friends/family so this isnt some American conspiracy theory. I know how everything is there with tiny roads and city rules of paying X amount to drive in London etc. I genuinely feel sad for car people. You have no choice but to drive Citroens and Renaults in Paris streets.

You buy a 6.2 liter Corvette there, what are your taxes? You pay more tax than the car is worth because some idiot says the tax of a car is proportional to its engine volume etc. here you can buy a toyota camry or 8.4 liter V10 dodge viper, sales tax is always 6% flat (some states they dont even have sales tax).

What the world has come to…. ferrari has completely lost its way. Those 488 spider reviews make me completely laugh at how they sound. You can barely hear the engine. EU goes one way Corvette the other way. I love being able to buy these cars here. If I could, I’d buy multiple of them as backup for 20 years in the future.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 11-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Next corvette coming out is called the "e-ray".

I'm sure that's not electric.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals

Agree on PCCBs - if dust is the new normal, it will be a big "WTF, no thank you" for me. On emissions - we have California, which is singlehandedly responsible for so much nonsensical stuff related to the environment. Also, DOT and NHTSA , can't get off their collective a$$es and finally allow active headlights, which are an incredible safety improvement for driving on rural mountain roads (e.g., still puts full highbeam light on wildlife near the side of the road while not blinding oncoming traffic and reducing glare back from reflective signs).
Old 11-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

If the 991 pads turn out to fit AND have the old compound will Porsche not alter the compound? One would hope they’d leave it alone.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 132 Posts

Has anyone other than the OP experienced the new PCCB’s and able to corroborate the dust issue?

I’m not questioning the OP but it would be good to know if others are experiencing the same thing.
GtErik (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Post 173 verifies another person with the dusting issue.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:19 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I can tell you that Porsche is well aware of this thread. At this point, I would have never ordered these brakes if I knew what I was getting.
This is disappointing info. I was hoping it may have just been a bedding in phase.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:24 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 293 Posts

I’m with you here. Annoyed by it 100%. I would not have ordered PCCB if I knew of this issue.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:33 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
This is disappointing info. I was hoping it may have just been a bedding in phase.

Took it out for 30 miles yesterday - wheels were clean when I left... as dust built up, juddering started, got home, fine layer of dust all over the wheels. I wasn't even driving it that hard. I'll know more later this week on the 991 pads.

Quick Reply: PCCB very dusty!