RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,509 Likes on 5,046 Posts

Old 12-25-2021, 03:13 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I dont think its 115 kg heavier than GT3. Thats dry weight of Z06 (3430) vs wet weight of GT3.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Static review, disappointing. I wonder when journalists will get to drive them
The following users liked this post:
-eztrader- (12-27-2021)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

RoboSquirrel (02-16-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:12 PM
Phil~
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The aftermarket for the Z06 will be insane. Fabspeed for one. That car will scream.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mark Dreyer (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 05:12 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I dont think its 115 kg heavier than GT3. Thats dry weight of Z06 (3430) vs wet weight of GT3.
Doubt it will be less than a 130 kg difference in the real world. Maybe a car with the lightest possible spec, the carbon wheels and brakes etc. but not otherwise.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:20 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
Doubt it will be less than a 130 kg difference in the real world. Maybe a car with the lightest possible spec, the carbon wheels and brakes etc. but not otherwise.
Yeah I would expect the Z06 to come in around 180-200 kg heavier at its lightest spec. From what I've seen there wasn't a whole lot of lightening done for that car, and the DOHC engine, wider body, and extra cooling would add weight over the base model.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I say its 450 lbs of difference
Old 03-29-2022, 08:42 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Yeah I would expect the Z06 to come in around 180-200 kg heavier at its lightest spec. From what I've seen there wasn't a whole lot of lightening done for that car, and the DOHC engine, wider body, and extra cooling would add weight over the base model.
200 might be a stretch. People seem to be scaling them around 1600 kg with a bit of fuel. A Z06 without the Z07 options and without the carbon wheels will probably be the same. So let's say 1550 for a Z07 with an 1/8th of a tank. I'm guessing thay mat the RS will be around 1410-1420 in its lightest form also with an 1/8th tank of fuel. With a set of Lightspeed carbon wheels, it should be quite the car for the Z07 to beat, which I very much doubt that the Z07 will be able to do.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:55 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

200 might be a stretch. People seem to be scaling them around 1600 kg with a bit of fuel. A Z06 without the Z07 options and without the carbon wheels will probably be the same. So let's say 1550 for a Z07 with an 1/8th of a tank. I'm guessing thay mat the RS will be around 1410-1420 in its lightest form also with an 1/8th tank of fuel. With a set of Lightspeed carbon wheels, it should be quite the car for the Z07 to beat, which I very much doubt that the Z07 will be able to do.
The thing with the Corvettes is while they may not “beat” a GT3RS, they will get 99.99% close to it. While GT3RS cant really be driven to the beach or road trips, Corvettes with their targa roof, double storage in front and rear, heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel, and an audio system that actually function are much better cars outside of a race track. RS does 1 thing so well whereas Corvette does many things good. It doesnt do any of those things perfectly but to achieve what C8 Z06 provides, you will basically need a 718 Spyder, 911 Turbo, and a GT3. Spyder gives you top down experience but is severely under powered and doesnt handle well, Turbo gives you luxury and speed but is too disconnected, GT3 gives you handling and N/A responsiveness and goose bumps. Z06 will do all of those things.

But then again, you will have to put up with quality issues etc. Even with those issues, I think its going to be extremely popular. Its a no brainer car.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:00 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

The new LT6 engine for the Z06 is apparently only 1 kg heavier than the LT2 in the base model. But it has more radiators with associated plumbing and a wider body. It's almost certain that a base Z06 is heavier than the Stingray. Will be interesting to see how much weight the carbon wheels shave off, but this is still probably gonna be a ~3600 lbs car. It would be a welcome surprise if it got down close to 3500 lbs, but I don't see where the weight savings would come from.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
The thing with the Corvettes is while they may not “beat” a GT3RS, they will get 99.99% close to it. While GT3RS cant really be driven to the beach or road trips, Corvettes with their targa roof, double storage in front and rear, heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel, and an audio system that actually function are much better cars outside of a race track. RS does 1 thing so well whereas Corvette does many things good. It doesnt do any of those things perfectly but to achieve what C8 Z06 provides, you will basically need a 718 Spyder, 911 Turbo, and a GT3. Spyder gives you top down experience but is severely under powered and doesnt handle well, Turbo gives you luxury and speed but is too disconnected, GT3 gives you handling and N/A responsiveness and goose bumps. Z06 will do all of those things.

But then again, you will have to put up with quality issues etc. Even with those issues, I think its going to be extremely popular. Its a no brainer car.
We need to look at this from a Z06 and Z07 perspective. Those two are so different, that one might as well be a 992 GTS and the other is the GT comparison.

The Z07 that can run with the GT3RS will. Most certainly not be any more comfortable than the GT3RS. It will have equally stiff suspension, it will lack sound deadening, and it will have hard bucket seats. Yes, the Z06 can be had in its standard form with sofas, but then you might as well compare it to a Turbo. All the basic Z06 cars that will be sold, will not be the Porsche GT killers some seem to think. They will be versions of the Z51 with an LT6 mill and a bit of added aero. Considering how slow the C8 Z51 was on Laguna Seca, I don't have high hopes for the regular Z06. It will need to be the Z07 variant with all the bells and whistles one needs, to run with the exotics and Porsche GT cars.

From a price perspective, the possible GT killer the Corvette crowd is talking about, will be the Z07 car with CF wheels, and I suspect that most Z06 cars will be base Z06 versions with iron rotors and alloy wheels - a bit like a Grand Sport if you will.

As for popularity, yes in the US, but I doubt we will see many here in Europe. I know many track rats, and I know many well-to-do collectors and car enthusiasts. Not a single one of them have expressed any interest in it. This might not seem that telling, but I think it is. These are people with 20+ car collections across several brands including US cars. None, and I really do mean none of them are interested. I mean, if people who are in a position to take it or leave it as they see fit won't touch it, who's the demographic? If it was,as dirt cheap as in the US, sure, but here it is not, so those looking for a budget "supercar" will not find it in the Z07, and most certainly not in the Z06. When people will be paying that much, just buy the real deal and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by G.Irish
The new LT6 engine for the Z06 is apparently only 1 kg heavier than the LT2 in the base model. But it has more radiators with associated plumbing and a wider body. It's almost certain that a base Z06 is heavier than the Stingray. Will be interesting to see how much weight the carbon wheels shave off, but this is still probably gonna be a ~3600 lbs car. It would be a welcome surprise if it got down close to 3500 lbs, but I don't see where the weight savings would come from.
The weight of some of those additions will be offset by some of the standard carbon parts and lack of sound deadening. The CF wheels supposedly saves 19 kg total. That means those alloy wheels are real anchors. Most other cars, being it a Mustang or a Pista, don't save anywhere near that going to CF. Just goes to show that the alloy wheels is one area where GM tried to save money. The performance difference that saving 19 kg on wheels will have, will be massive. Either CF whèels or aftermarket forged wheels will be a must for anyone looking to get the most from it.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:49 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

We need to look at this from a Z06 and Z07 perspective. Those two are so different, that one might as well be a 992 GTS and the other is the GT comparison.

The Z07 that can run with the GT3RS will. Most certainly not be any more comfortable than the GT3RS. It will have equally stiff suspension, it will lack sound deadening, and it will have hard bucket seats. Yes, the Z06 can be had in its standard form with sofas, but then you might as well compare it to a Turbo. All the basic Z06 cars that will be sold, will not be the Porsche GT killers some seem to think. They will be versions of the Z51 with an LT6 mill and a bit of added aero. Considering how slow the C8 Z51 was on Laguna Seca, I don't have high hopes for the regular Z06. It will need to be the Z07 variant with all the bells and whistles one needs, to run with the exotics and Porsche GT cars.

From a price perspective, the possible GT killer the Corvette crowd is talking about, will be the Z07 car with CF wheels, and I suspect that most Z06 cars will be base Z06 versions with iron rotors and alloy wheels - a bit like a Grand Sport if you will.

As for popularity, yes in the US, but I doubt we will see many here in Europe. I know many track rats, and I know many well-to-do collectors and car enthusiasts. Not a single one of them have expressed any interest in it. This might not seem that telling, but I think it is. These are people with 20+ car collections across several brands including US cars. None, and I really do mean none of them are interested. I mean, if people who are in a position to take it or leave it as they see fit won't touch it, who's the demographic? If it was,as dirt cheap as in the US, sure, but here it is not, so those looking for a budget "supercar" will not find it in the Z07, and most certainly not in the Z06. When people will be paying that much, just buy the real deal and be done with it.
I dont think you know much about Corvettes. Their "bucket" seats are more comfortable than the sport seats of GT3 (I sat on the new bucket seats yes). They use magna ride which is far more compliant than the much older PASM setup in GT3. I own a C7 ZR1 and a GT3RS. I know their suspension geometry very well. Corvettes have had front and rear double wishbone for much longer than GT3s. GT3s and GT4s all drone at those low rpms. Regardless of what you do there is that "bmmmmmmmmm" that doesnt stop. And the tire noise. Its an amazing drive but its a niche car that has a specific purpose. Its not a car that I can drive to work every day. I can drive to work every day in my ZR1. For every 1 mile I drive with my GT3RS, I drive 2.5 miles with my ZR1. I love my Porsche but it isnt the car for cruising around. It is way too loud inside in all RPM ranges. Which - for a petrol head, its "cool" but coolness quickly turns into tinnitus and it wears you down. You cant "quiet" a GT3. You can turn a Corvette to a Cadillac (and no their exhaust flaps dont have a mind of their own like their German counterparts, you can overwrite them whenever - I love American style!). Put it in tour mode and the suspension/exhaust turns the car into whistle quiet.

Regarding your friends, the car collectors, thats exactly what we want. We want the car collectors to keep collecting Ferraris and McLarens and Porsches. We want the underdog, Corvette, to be average men's car, be a car that is driven and can keep up with those collector cars that cost multiple times more. That is way more fun and way more respectable

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 03-29-2022 at 09:50 PM.
Aorta (03-31-2022)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing