Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
I wonder if the carbon ceramic brakes will be a available as a stand alone option on the NON-Z07 car?
Does not matter. If you want to go that route, wait until Surface Transforms have their discs ready. The ceramics GM will offer, are the same 25 year old crappy Brembo CCM discs, so not worth it.
I cannot disclose what it is ST is doing, but believe me when I say that Surface Transforms has something in the pipeline worth waiting for. It will change the world of ceramic brakes for sure.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:37 AM
harrish1985
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by harrish1985
You like many others on this forum have the financial means to buy both. The overwhelming majority do not. Most guys do not have multiple nice cars. They have ONE. And they aspire to purchase one. For someone who’s saved just enough to buy a P or F car since that is their dream car they will not cross shop the Vette. If finances are no issue then sure do what your heart desire. But what I’m saying is for the average car buyer who typically buys ONE nice weekend if they’re finally in a position to attain a Vette then they will do so. They won’t look at $350k+ exotic. For the select few where spending $ on this hobby is no object well they’ll have multiple nice cars. Consider yourselves lucky. It’s not everyday you meet someone that has multiple nice cars in their stable.
Maybe. I do agree with what you’re saying to an extent but I would consider buying, at least for my personal preference the Z06 as a track car.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

There are so many variables and reasons for people to cross shop. Here in Europe, we generally don't focus much on the Corvette, simply because it's too expensive. I can pretty much take it or leave it, but when I look at what the price is in the US, I can't help but feel robbed if I were to purchase that car here in Europe. Why buy that when I have to pay almost the same as I would have to pay for the upcoming GT3RS.

There is also the point of quality. I'm not talking mechanical, but rather the basic stuff like interior. We pay as much for a C8 Z51 as we pay for a GTS. Again, why on earth would we do that? The base C8 is a bargain at 62k usd, but not when it's twice the price. 110+k Euro for a C8 Z51? Not worth it.

For those that track, we also have a logistics issue. We don't have a dealer network that can fix the car in the same way as you do in the US. When I track a Porsche or a Ferrari, I can always get it fixed right next to one of the larger tracks. Sure a race shop can deal with a C8, but not in the same way. When I'm at Paul Ricard, the shops there know 911 cup cars and Ferrari Challenge cars. That matters if you come in with a GT3RS or a Pista.

So as has always been the case, the C8 will probably continue to be a US car for those who track and really use their car. Back in the day it was easier, because those who imported C5's, C6's and C7's, could pretty easily work on them. They are pretty easy to fix, and a shop familiar with American muscle can work on it. The C8 has changed a lot of that, especially the Z06/Z07. They are no longer cars you fix with a hammer and a blow torch.

I don't see it becoming a big hit here in Europe.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Considering the price of entry - we will see enough C8 Z06's on track in 2023 to watch them do shakedowns. It will be telling how reliable the LT6 is in North America.

Consider me old school but I do wish the C8 Z06 had a 6MT option.

For what it's worth - kudos to Chevrolet/Corvette for fighting for a high revving ICE in this day and age. Any engineer or accountant that had to do multiple case studies and umpteen presentations in a company like GM has to be lauded. Tremendous job in fighting for the LT6.

Important to note that pre-Covid, GM's margins were razor thin on each of their cars. Unlike Porsche that has benefit of charging +$4000 for a few yards of stitching...GM does not have anywhere close to the margins Porsche has. So, this Z06 in the face of all that is quite a feat.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
GM does not have anywhere close to the margins Porsche has. So, this Z06 in the face of all that is quite a feat.
Trucks man...
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
991Targa4S (10-27-2021), Matt(inMA) (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:53 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 921 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
1LZ with sport seats + Z07 + CF wheels should be a good track star. Probably replace the CCB's with an AP kit if you're gonna run hard and often and put it back on for resale.
CCB replacement costs for C8 gen tbd, but in the past you could replace GM CCB f&r rotors and pads for < the cost of a quality BBK. And they're durable spec, great performers on track.

To tie into some of the exchanges above, a good reason you'd have a Z06 over the triple priced italian headaches, even if money is no object. You can use a Z06 out the box similar to GT car. Godspeed working through pre- and post-track at the dealer with your Pista.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:38 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Considering the price of entry - we will see enough C8 Z06's on track in 2023 to watch them do shakedowns. It will be telling how reliable the LT6 is in North America.

Consider me old school but I do wish the C8 Z06 had a 6MT option.

For what it's worth - kudos to Chevrolet/Corvette for fighting for a high revving ICE in this day and age. Any engineer or accountant that had to do multiple case studies and umpteen presentations in a company like GM has to be lauded. Tremendous job in fighting for the LT6.

Important to note that pre-Covid, GM's margins were razor thin on each of their cars. Unlike Porsche that has benefit of charging +$4000 for a few yards of stitching...GM does not have anywhere close to the margins Porsche has. So, this Z06 in the face of all that is quite a feat.
Internal combustion isn't just going away because OEMs are claiming "ALL EV" by a certain date (covering their asses via PR, by the way) and because special interest groups or lobbyists say we should. Most of the world cannot afford an EV and we absolutely DO NOT have the power grid to support even half of all vehicles being EV, let alone all of them. Internal combustion will be here for our lifetimes and beyond. I'm personally backing synthetic fuels too, which make more sense than the hilarious EV only claims out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Burren:
exit87 (10-30-2021), Pcar81 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
CCB replacement costs for C8 gen tbd, but in the past you could replace GM CCB f&r rotors and pads for < the cost of a quality BBK. And they're durable spec, great performers on track.

To tie into some of the exchanges above, a good reason you'd have a Z06 over the triple priced italian headaches, even if money is no object. You can use a Z06 out the box similar to GT car. Godspeed working through pre- and post-track at the dealer with your Pista.
I have a specific data point. I tracked C7 ZR1 in ron fellows owners school for two days. I spoke to the instructors there about brakes. They get weeks of use with CCBs and oem pads (and there is a class every day of every week). When I asked if they last 10 track days (we drive for about 4 hours fully on track in a 2 day course), the response was “orders of magnitude more than that”.

The CCBs in Z07s are much more durable than the PCCBs. This has been documented at great length. Porsche’s rotors are much softer, also dont work well. The stopping power of my ZR1 vs GT3RS (both ceramics) is completely different. ABS is never engaged in the ZR1 and I brake so hard so late whereas Porsche’s ABS is engaged half the time and car simply does not stop as well.

I dont know how many of you drove Z07 package cars in real life but the brakes are just insane. 60-0 stopping is some absurd 88 ft in the ZR1. Its rotors are a lot smaller than the new 992 GT3 rotors and even the new GT3 cant come close (even with the better cup2Rs). So chevy must be doing this right.
The following users liked this post:
ParadiseGT3 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 10:47 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by harrish1985
I don’t mean to offend anyone but I’ll lay out some simple facts.

No one that is interested in purchasing a Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini is cross shopping for a Corvette. When I was a kid I loved Corvettes. To this day I still admire them but to me and many others they are not a work of art. I don’t look at Vette the way I look at a Ferrari or 911 Turbo or Lamborghini. Corvette interiors are vastly inferior to the European competitors. Separately, the endless array of customizable options on the European counterparts blows Chevy out the door. I don’t want to sound pretentious and if I do I’m sorry but the service department at Chevy is let’s just call it not prime for socializing and networking. I genuinely want to go to the Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche dealer. If you have a good relationship they’ll equally lay out the red carpet for you similar to what some say Chevy does. Corvettes are everywhere. Where I live in Miami they are literally everywhere and the stereotype of a middle class person who aspires to get one is very true. Trust me, finances aside, anyone that had a choice between a Vette or a P, F or Lambo car would pick the latter all day and twice on Sunday.
I don’t know, I think a lot of guys that can afford super cars can afford to own more than one sports car, or can afford to own many. So, cross-shopping? Ok maybe not technically, but buying in addition? Certainly.

I have lots of cars, including a 991.2 GT3RS, and 600LT. Both of those cars are staying and I plan to add a 992 GT3RS, 765LTS, and a C8 Z06, among others.
The following 3 users liked this post by AllAboutThatP:
harrish1985 (10-27-2021), Matt(inMA) (10-27-2021), Quikag (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:11 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 921 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
So chevy must be doing this right.
That's right, they do. Chevy specs the no bs carbon ceramic option with Brembo and pairs with the most aggressive spec tires of any OE, whether Cups, Trofeos, Supercar 3Rs, etc. Other manufacturers go with lite duty spec in both departments.

And now carbon wheels. Would add Z07 pack for track work on this gen no hesitation.

Also have track experience with previous gen GM carbon ceramics. Went through a set of pads, rotors weren't close to done. They've undoubtedly improved since then.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

What a pity nobody actually cross-shopped these cars... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-gt4-compared/

But all rubbing aside... they should have used GT3 vs. Z06.. GT4 makes no sense.

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-27-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by GrantG:
Burren (10-27-2021), jfr0317 (10-27-2021), ShakeNBake (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:36 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is so good. I love this guy.. I always learn something
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:59 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
r....the F8 literally does NOTHING for me...
I made this comment the other day and was essentially told it's me and not the car. Since my post I've seen 3 others say the same thing. I'm beginning to question myself less
Old 10-27-2021, 12:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is so good. I love this guy.. I always learn something
100%.

Thanks for posting Grant!

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing