Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 10:20 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I dont think you know much about Corvettes. Their "bucket" seats are more comfortable than the sport seats of GT3 (I sat on the new bucket seats yes). They use magna ride which is far more compliant than the much older PASM setup in GT3. I own a C7 ZR1 and a GT3RS. I know their suspension geometry very well. Corvettes have had front and rear double wishbone for much longer than GT3s. GT3s and GT4s all drone at those low rpms. Regardless of what you do there is that "bmmmmmmmmm" that doesnt stop. And the tire noise. Its an amazing drive but its a niche car that has a specific purpose. Its not a car that I can drive to work every day. I can drive to work every day in my ZR1. For every 1 mile I drive with my GT3RS, I drive 2.5 miles with my ZR1. I love my Porsche but it isnt the car for cruising around. It is way too loud inside in all RPM ranges. Which - for a petrol head, its "cool" but coolness quickly turns into tinnitus and it wears you down. You cant "quiet" a GT3. You can turn a Corvette to a Cadillac (and no their exhaust flaps dont have a mind of their own like their German counterparts, you can overwrite them whenever - I love American style!). Put it in tour mode and the suspension/exhaust turns the car into whistle quiet.

Regarding your friends, the car collectors, thats exactly what we want. We want the car collectors to keep collecting Ferraris and McLarens and Porsches. We want the underdog, Corvette, to be average men's car, be a car that is driven and can keep up with those collector cars that cost multiple times more. That is way more fun and way more respectable
I used to own a ZR1 C6 when I lived in the US, and I had a C7 Z07 here in Europe. I'm not against Corvettes. I also had a 991.2 GT3RS, and now a 992 GT3. Let me describe the suspension comfort level of my Z07. It was like falling down a flight of stairs. Yes the seats were softer than my 918 seats, but that did not make up for the fact that the car was insanely hard. It banged and crashed its way down the road. I have several cars with Magneride, and I find it to be different perhaps, but not better. The difference between soft and hard suspension settings in a Pista for example, is no better than that of a GT3RS. I'd go as far as to say that a 991.2 GTS has a better set up adaptive system than most Magneride setups I've tried.

Whether it is Porsches PASM or AC Delco's Magneride, it all depends on the setup. The ZR1 might be different, I don't know, but my C7 Z07 was one of the worst riding cars I've ever driven in recent times. Had it for a month and gone it was.

Now seeing that none of us know the C8 Z06 at this point, we are only guessing. But try this. Go and fing a video of someone who drives the C8 Z06 and speaks while driving. Listen to the voice, it shakes. That to me has always been very telling in regards tobthe harshness of a car. All the info I have seen and read about the C8 Z07, goes into detail about how raw and track focused it is. And considering the fact that GM is trying to play with the big boys with the Z07, I doubt very much they have let a little thing like comfort get in their way. Time will tell, but I suspect that the Z07 will be a harsh riding and loud machine, with little focus on comfort.

We'll see soon enough.
The following users liked this post:
SB27 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 116 Posts
Wink

I was very excited about the new flat plane crank V-8 in the C8 Z06. I think it's awesome they are building it and suspect it will make a really good car even better.

Is it a 458? No. In no way. shape. or. form. does it sounds even close to the awesomeness of a 458 wail. In fact, I think I like the Mustang 350GT's motor sound better than the Z06. Disappointing, at least so far.

As others have said, there will likely be some aftermarket exhaust systems that make the Z06 sound a lot better. Looking forward to hearing those.

The new 992GT3
The new on the way GT4RS
The new Corvette and it's new Z06 version
The AMG motored MB's -- all of which sound great
The McLaren lineup -- all pretty awesome

What an amazing time we now finally live in in terms of cars with soul / fun / adrenaline. Will it continue? Unlikely but we will see.

The last time I felt this way about cars was when my uncle pulled into my grandpa's driveway and his brand new Shelby GT350 convertible was idling next to my grandpa's Mercury Marauder X100.

Why am a car guy late in life? Because of days like that when I was a kid.

Last edited by SB27; 03-29-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:39 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
I used to own a ZR1 C6 when I lived in the US, and I had a C7 Z07 here in Europe. I'm not against Corvettes. I also had a 991.2 GT3RS, and now a 992 GT3. Let me describe the suspension comfort level of my Z07. It was like falling down a flight of stairs. Yes the seats were softer than my 918 seats, but that did not make up for the fact that the car was insanely hard. It banged and crashed its way down the road. I have several cars with Magneride, and I find it to be different perhaps, but not better. The difference between soft and hard suspension settings in a Pista for example, is no better than that of a GT3RS. I'd go as far as to say that a 991.2 GTS has a better set up adaptive system than most Magneride setups I've tried.

Whether it is Porsches PASM or AC Delco's Magneride, it all depends on the setup. The ZR1 might be different, I don't know, but my C7 Z07 was one of the worst riding cars I've ever driven in recent times. Had it for a month and gone it was.

Now seeing that none of us know the C8 Z06 at this point, we are only guessing. But try this. Go and fing a video of someone who drives the C8 Z06 and speaks while driving. Listen to the voice, it shakes. That to me has always been very telling in regards tobthe harshness of a car. All the info I have seen and read about the C8 Z07, goes into detail about how raw and track focused it is. And considering the fact that GM is trying to play with the big boys with the Z07, I doubt very much they have let a little thing like comfort get in their way. Time will tell, but I suspect that the Z07 will be a harsh riding and loud machine, with little focus on comfort.

We'll see soon enough.
Ok so one disclaimer about my ZR1 is that I ditched the run flat tires with massively stiff side walls as well as the anchor 32 lbs weighing cast wheels in favor of non run flat michelin pss and 19 lbs forged wheels. To say that this transformed the car is understatement. I remember my car was also very stiff. This change allowed me to save over 50 lbs rotating mass and steering, acceleration all improved - noticeably but ride quality improved the most. But I can relate to what you have observed. Also transverse leaf sprint in C7s do stiffen the ride quite a bit. At a race track, the ride is amazing and lateral gs is unreal but in daily driven it feels like a brick.

C8 no longer has the transverse leaf spring. The location of the steering wheel also seems to have a profound impact on how the car changes direction. C8 Z51 I drove had a similar feel to GT3RS that has laser like direction change thanks to RWS. All in all its a very interesting car. Engine is in the middle, car has massive track width, massive tires, steering is so precise, very light wheels, best brakes in the business (C7 ZR1 still holds the production record of brake performance beating a senna by a foot, so its not impossible to imagine Z06 will be even better). And it costs low 6 figures. What more do we want? Its a steal. And the markup, waitlist, foxtrot tango required with Porsche dealers dont exist. If you look hard enough, you will find a Z06 at sticker.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SB27
I was very excited about the new flat plane crank V-8 in the C8 Z06. I think it's awesome they are building it and suspect it will make a really good car even better.

Is it a 458? No. In no way. shape. or. form. does it sounds even close to the awesomeness of a 458 wail. In fact, I think I like the Mustang 350GT's motor sound better than the Z06. Disappointing, at least so far.

As others have said, there will likely be some aftermarket exhaust systems that make the Z06 sound a lot better. Looking forward to hearing those.

The new 992GT3
The new on the way GT4RS
The new Corvette and it's new Z06 version
The AMG motored MB's -- all of which sound great
The McLaren lineup -- all pretty awesome

What an amazing time we now finally live in in terms of cars with soul / fun / adrenaline. Will it continue? Unlikely but we will see.

The last time I felt this way about cars was when my uncle pulled into my grandpa's driveway and his brand new Shelby GT350 convertible was idling next to my grandpa's Mercury Marauder X100.

Why am a car guy late in life? Because of days like that when I was a kid.
GT350 sounds very unique. I love every single mile of my 78,000 mile ownership. At full throttle, it sounds like a M249 machine gun firing behind you.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:19 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

Ok so one disclaimer about my ZR1 is that I ditched the run flat tires with massively stiff side walls as well as the anchor 32 lbs weighing cast wheels in favor of non run flat michelin pss and 19 lbs forged wheels. To say that this transformed the car is understatement. I remember my car was also very stiff. This change allowed me to save over 50 lbs rotating mass and steering, acceleration all improved - noticeably but ride quality improved the most. But I can relate to what you have observed. Also transverse leaf sprint in C7s do stiffen the ride quite a bit. At a race track, the ride is amazing and lateral gs is unreal but in daily driven it feels like a brick.

C8 no longer has the transverse leaf spring. The location of the steering wheel also seems to have a profound impact on how the car changes direction. C8 Z51 I drove had a similar feel to GT3RS that has laser like direction change thanks to RWS. All in all its a very interesting car. Engine is in the middle, car has massive track width, massive tires, steering is so precise, very light wheels, best brakes in the business (C7 ZR1 still holds the production record of brake performance beating a senna by a foot, so its not impossible to imagine Z06 will be even better). And it costs low 6 figures. What more do we want? Its a steal. And the markup, waitlist, foxtrot tango required with Porsche dealers dont exist. If you look hard enough, you will find a Z06 at sticker.
I had my car with stock wheels, but no run-flats. But yes, wheel weight makes a massive difference. I wanted a semi-daily and just a toy that was different. It was offered to me at a god price with 8000 km on the clock, so I gave itca shot.

There is something I will never understand about those brake tests and that is how they do them - because I am far from impressed by the setup used on the Corvettes as well as Ferraris. I mention them in the same sentence because they are the EXACT same brakes. Not similar, they are the EXACT same. Both use,Brembos CCM rotors which are 25 year old technology, and both use Textar 4300 compound pads. I find them to lack modulation, and the stopping power is so-so. I have actually replaced my CCM rotors with Surface Transforms discs because of the poor performance. Sure they are fine on the road albeit not very exciting, but crap on a track. Let me put it this way. My Pista scales at 1390 kg with CF wheels, and it has great brake cooling. A set of pads last 4-5 hours on gP track like Spa or Paul Ricard. The mid engined Ferraris from the Speciale and on, uses the newer style closed back calipers and very big pads for a 398 mm rotor - much bigger than any pad Porsche uses, and what is used on the Z07/ZR1 cars and 458, F12 etc. On top of the poor wear, they fade. They do that on Ferraris, they do it on the Corvettes, they do it on McLarens running Brèmbo CCM setups. And seeing that this is what is used on the C8, it will be more of the same.

I now have the ST rotors on the Pista, and I have Pagid RSL1 pads. Those will out-break just about anything south of a full carbon-carbon setup. The only car which is not a race car, that I have seen and driven, which have brakes that can match this setup, is the Senna. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that brake test farther than I can throw it. NEVER have I driven a car with the CCM/T4300 setup that could match one of the more modern setups. Being it from Porsche, Mercedes. McLaren, BMW and who else use either CCB or CCST technology. To get a Corvette to pull up a foot shorter than a Senna? Just, no. Something else is at play, because the Senna brakes are far superior in their own right, and the car is significantly lighter. If you have ceramics on your GT3RS, go and do a brake test between that and your ZR1. I'm guessing at least a full car length if you stop from 100 mph. Heck, I suspect that even if you have iron rotors on your GT3RS, it will still pull up faster than your ZR1.
The following users liked this post:
sherpacycling (03-30-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:35 AM
Aorta
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
I had my car with stock wheels, but no run-flats. But yes, wheel weight makes a massive difference. I wanted a semi-daily and just a toy that was different. It was offered to me at a god price with 8000 km on the clock, so I gave itca shot.

There is something I will never understand about those brake tests and that is how they do them - because I am far from impressed by the setup used on the Corvettes as well as Ferraris. I mention them in the same sentence because they are the EXACT same brakes. Not similar, they are the EXACT same. Both use,Brembos CCM rotors which are 25 year old technology, and both use Textar 4300 compound pads. I find them to lack modulation, and the stopping power is so-so. I have actually replaced my CCM rotors with Surface Transforms discs because of the poor performance. Sure they are fine on the road albeit not very exciting, but crap on a track. Let me put it this way. My Pista scales at 1390 kg with CF wheels, and it has great brake cooling. A set of pads last 4-5 hours on gP track like Spa or Paul Ricard. The mid engined Ferraris from the Speciale and on, uses the newer style closed back calipers and very big pads for a 398 mm rotor - much bigger than any pad Porsche uses, and what is used on the Z07/ZR1 cars and 458, F12 etc. On top of the poor wear, they fade. They do that on Ferraris, they do it on the Corvettes, they do it on McLarens running Brèmbo CCM setups. And seeing that this is what is used on the C8, it will be more of the same.

I now have the ST rotors on the Pista, and I have Pagid RSL1 pads. Those will out-break just about anything south of a full carbon-carbon setup. The only car which is not a race car, that I have seen and driven, which have brakes that can match this setup, is the Senna. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that brake test farther than I can throw it. NEVER have I driven a car with the CCM/T4300 setup that could match one of the more modern setups. Being it from Porsche, Mercedes. McLaren, BMW and who else use either CCB or CCST technology. To get a Corvette to pull up a foot shorter than a Senna? Just, no. Something else is at play, because the Senna brakes are far superior in their own right, and the car is significantly lighter. If you have ceramics on your GT3RS, go and do a brake test between that and your ZR1. I'm guessing at least a full car length if you stop from 100 mph. Heck, I suspect that even if you have iron rotors on your GT3RS, it will still pull up faster than your ZR1.
Your clearly have a lot of experience with different cars...but I have to completely disagree on your ride comments about the C7Z07. I used to own one and currently have a C7ZR1 as well. If you put the car in touring mode it is insanely comfortable and compliant. From Track to Touring mode is like going from an RS car to a Cadillac...yes it’s ‘that’ big of a difference. You can’t even compare how much more comfortable it is to a 2 or 3RS when in touring mode.

I’ve tracked my 720s and ZR1 many times and while I’m not at Spa nor am I a ‘pro’ I have never, ever had the brakes go soft on me. Ever. Nor have I heard of others having the same issues. If I tracked more I’d definitely go to iron discs for the cost savings...

FYI, the 765LT club sport pack has the exact same brakes as the Senna. The non CS pack has the calipers but not the rotors. I’ll compare them to the 720 in the fall when it arrives...

For the money and their weight...Corvettes are pretty impressive all round...esp. on track. To think you can get a CZ06 for ALOT less than a 992 GTS is incredible. Overall, these days, I don’t think anyone is doing a better job than McLaren. Their driving characteristics, brake feel and performance is impressive and they are absolutely immense on track. 5 years later and there’s still ‘almost’ nothing out there as good as a 720s is a testament to McLaren.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,435 Likes on 5,018 Posts

Old 10-03-2022, 02:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 10-03-2022, 02:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 10-03-2022, 02:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 10-03-2022, 02:44 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Surprisingly positive, including in the steering department. The only two negatives I have heard is the fake engine noise and the transmission seems to have its own (unstable) personality from time to time.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Surprisingly positive, including in the steering department. The only two negatives I have heard is the fake engine noise and the transmission seems to have its own (unstable) personality from time to time.
And the inevitable panel gaps.

I think at this point, Chevy should just market that as a "feature" and maybe work it into as part of some DRS or "active aero"
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

^LOLL
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,908 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Looks like it beat GT3 (didn’t listen yet, in case they mention something):

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/monti...b-north-course
Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Looks like it beat GT3 (didn’t listen yet, in case they mention something):

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/monti...b-north-course
Hard to tell, but I think it did ~ 1:20 (which would best the GT3 time)

Wouldn't surprise me if it did. It has more torque.

But I think it's largely irrelevant these track times, for all the reasons we've talked about. Different drivers, different day, different condition, blah blah blah.

But what's more important with lap times, less with a short course like Montecito, and more with a longer course like the Ring, is how many times a car can do it in one attempt? Hero laps are nice for Internet memes, but repeatable lap times are more relevant for hoi polloi who drive these cars without all the support staff and track goodies

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing