Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 12:49 AM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

I will own one. I've become a bit partial to Porsche GT cars, but more than that, I like cars that speak to you regardless of the badge or how perfect the stiching is. Listening to the savagegeese video around the 49min market speaks to me. Sure the trans won't be as connected as the pdks and the interior refinement might be lacking, but I dont care. It's not an "or" proposition for me. The end is nearing for this type of product, and I'm at least going to give it a shot.

For folks that like engines, especially NA engines, sadly the days are numbered. Hearing the vehicle CE speculate that this is likely the pannicle for NA engines makes me glad that I'm able to enjoy them while they are still available. No doubt motors will push the performance envelope, but it isnt the same. I'm glad the decision makers gave this package the green light.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,301 Likes on 4,975 Posts

Old 10-04-2022, 07:02 AM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
This car is seriously potent, and it's really the only desirable high end, NA sports car left besides the GT3/RS and STO. Honestly, if my allocation for the RS somehow vanishes, it is something I would seriously consider trying to get.
I have hated the Corvette my whole life, until this one. Just wish they offered a manual. For less than $150K you can have something that probably lands in between a GT3 and RS on track, but with more street usability than an RS with similar performance for $100K less.
I ask myself, if I couldn't get a 992 RS, then why would I spend $250k for a used 991.2 RS, when I could get this new for $100K less?

Is it German engineered? No, but they finally did a high revving, DOHC, flat plane V8 straight out of the race car. That's about as "Porsche-esque" as it gets, in terms of selling what you race. The car is literally as wide as the race car. So hats off to GM on this car.
I don't care what anybody says, 670hp from an NA V8 is insane. Clearly the chassis is up for it. Adjustable suspension, and all the typical GT3/RS adjustability are available on this car as well.

The question is, can it run lap after lap like a GT3/RS and keep begging for more? I'd guess it can, GM couldn't afford to drop the ball on this one.
Don’t let it tempt you. I did with the C7 Z07 and regretted it. It was awesome my first weekend on track but broke every weekend thereafter; transmission, diff, splitter. Fact is that if your an advanced driver, the car will not be able to withstand the abuse, even over several months. But the real problem is the the GM mechanics don’t have the ability to fix it properly. So warranty is worthless.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:18 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,017 Likes on 645 Posts

I would absolutely give the Z07 pack a go. 500kW/670HP running on 275 front and 345 rear, same as 992 GT3 RS. Definitely worth a look.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-04-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:58 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 894 Posts

I fell for this trap with my ZR1. It cost me half as much as a GT3RS when I bought it at the time (RS was going for $270-320k new, I paid $137k for ZR1). Later I ended up buying a GT3RS anyways and against all my instincts, kept the ZR1. To say that these cars are so different in design and production philosophy is understatement. Most people myself included look at both cars and say Corvette costs X, Porsche costs 1.8 or 2.5X. You get big brakes, wing, room, heated and cooled seats, and its a chevy so cost of ownership is cheap. Then there is the laptimes. “Oh look, ZR1 is 1 second off of the 3 times costing GT2RS”. Well, the issue with this line of thinking is once you pay for the car, you forget what it costs yet you are stuck driving it with all its faults. Uneven panel gaps, stitching that isnt straight, ***** and other things lifted from Chevy Suburban. All over the car wherever you look at afterthoughts. Then this stuff starts bothering you because eventually the novelties of the car starts to wear off.

My ZR1 for example. Last front engine RWD corvette. Manual transmission. Carbon fiber hood and more carbon fiber than you’ll get in a Porsche. 1,000 lbs of downforce. Yet beginning mile 20 all the way to mile 20,000 my issues with it kept piling up. After every drive I try to find reasons to justify keeping it.

You know how many times I felt the same way in 11,000 miles of owning my GT3RS? 0, nada, nil. Its just perfect. Every corner and aspect of the car shows engineering excellence. Corvette is unsophisticated. No matter how much progress they did with the engine, they screwed that much with the golf club fitting body. Car weighs 3750 lbs, is almost 10 inches longer, 5 inches wider than a 911. It has much longer wheelbase and drives like it too. Then there is the transmission. Did you see the gearing? Its like after 140 mph, car hits a wall. Which is why we’ll never see a nurburgring time. The people who built the engine probably used up all the money and transmission - which was built for stingray for fuel economy, had to be a compromise. Compromise is the name of the game with Chevy. They are still using old halogen bulbs that at night you are better off with a Lexus headlight. Does not compare to PDLS, night and day. They make a wing for the Z07 shape like a bird’s wing because they dont want the old timers to complain about rear visibility. Then they produce fake engine noise because the natural sound of the car might be too much for the Corvette market. These are all things that had Porsche built this car, they would have went the opposite direction in each element.

And then there is the looks. I mean who OKed this style? It has so many sharp edges, it looks extremely over the top. Do you like Escalades? When I see a Cadillac with their literally boxy style and tiny straight head and tail lights, I feel nauseous. It is hideous. If there is a word for complete opposite of “elegant” thats Escalade and so is this Z06.

Lastly, having owned ZR1 for so long (and this Z06 has even more aggressive looks), whenever I am driving it I dont want to get out of the car because I dont like the way I personally see myself leaving a car. Looks like I am trying to compensate for something. There is always that stigma to it. Car is too much “blaaaaaaaaaa” inside and out. Its too coarse.

I have also dealt with Chevy dealers and there is no way they are qualified to work on this Z06. Its impossible. GM simply pulled this engine off because a few senior execs OKed it but they dont have the infrastructure to support the car.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 10-04-2022 at 10:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Pcar81 (10-04-2022), PHX (10-04-2022), SToronto (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:25 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,882 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I have also dealt with Chevy dealers and there is no way they are qualified to work on this Z06. Its impossible. GM simply pulled this engine off because a few senior execs OKed it but they dont have the infrastructure to support the car.
I assume if there is an engine issue, they just replace it with a fresh one (like Porsche).
Old 10-04-2022, 10:48 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I assume if there is an engine issue, they just replace it with a fresh one (like Porsche).
Absolutely not, at least in C7. If you are burning oil, they will first change the piston rings, rebuild the engine. If it doesnt work, they’ll do the valve guides. Each of these is major surgery with an engine out service. Transmission leaks, they’ll try to repair the seal. Half shafts leak, same thing. They are so cheap, they nickel and dime everything.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 11:05 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 229 Posts

Absolutely not, at least in C7. If you are burning oil, they will first change the piston rings, rebuild the engine. If it doesnt work, they’ll do the valve guides. Each of these is major surgery with an engine out service. Transmission leaks, they’ll try to repair the seal. Half shafts leak, same thing. They are so cheap, they nickel and dime everything.
No one yet knows what GM will mandate re: a warranty engine repair for the C8 Z06. Given how ‘intricate’ these hand built engines are with such tight tolerances, I personally believe an engine swap might well be the norm. Time will tell.

Current practice for the DCT in the C8 is to replace the unit en masse unless it is a bad solenoid.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:16 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 137 Posts

I've read on two forums that LT6 issues will likely mean complete engine swaps... GM/Chevy techs shouldn't be touching this engine... I gave up my early allocation due to the rollout debacle, but will be on the lookout come 2024.. Enough time to let them work the bugs out... waiting for professional driver reviews regarding the trans and gearing..
Old 10-04-2022, 12:04 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the new Z06 will be a decent track car, but it will not have the staying power of practically any Porsche, if driven for years on the track.
The "limp home", if not now, will be a common occurrence in the future, if driven on a regular track basis.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:07 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba928
Yes, the new Z06 will be a decent track car, but it will not have the staying power of practically any Porsche, if driven for years on the track.
The "limp home", if not now, will be a common occurrence in the future, if driven on a regular track basis.

However, I bet way more z06's will make it to actual tracks than the new RS.
Pcar81 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 12:25 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes. Agree and I'll be happy to see them on the track too as I give them a pass signal!
Old 10-04-2022, 03:34 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

z06 even in z07 form will not be for the person who tracks 25/yr. it just wont hold up. porsche will be better but not perfect either. that person needs a dedicated track car on a trailer. but for the person who tracks 6/yr and will also drive it on street most nice days, the z06 with its all time great engine would be the choice. but maybe wait a few years until the inevitable bugs get worked out.
thebishman (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 240 Posts

I honestly want them to be freaking awesome, I need them to succeed and put pressure on Porsche and other brands out there. We need options and I hope they aggressively compete to win.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain P:
Burren (10-06-2022), Pcar81 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:05 PM
FrostyAZ
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 51 Posts

Only because there will be way more Z06 cars built. Maybe you won’t see many RS at track day events, most of the people that buy them will stick to private clubs. I bet the % of RS owners that track their cars is quite high, unlike regular GT3 which is much lower.

Originally Posted by sechsgang
However, I bet way more z06's will make it to actual tracks than the new RS.

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing