Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 01:59 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
For those of you getting allocations at MSRP, is there an expectation that you won't ever flip the car for a profit, and will instead trade the car back to the dealer at MSRP or market value, whichever is lower? Or is there an expectation that you'll trade in a car and take a big hit on the trade-in value?
That's the deal I have with my dealer. I give him first right of refusal to buy it for MSRP or lower depending on market. I also run all my other cars by them if I'm selling them to see if they want to buy them for inventory. Have sold them a bunch of stuff from a Ford Raptor to a BMW M2.

Last edited by joejenie; 11-04-2023 at 02:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (11-06-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 09:19 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe mac
poofy, take a chill. Mani is bored and simply asking a question, right?! Isn't that why we have a forum?

Mani, as you know I had a couple of Tourings and i just switched to a 24 winged car. My dealer (the GM and I are very close friends) and I have a very clear rule. We do the right thing by each other and, WHEN he gives me a deal, I make sure he gets the car and can make whatever "profit" there is to be made. Buying a 24 today, while i dont care about profit, I dont suspect prices are going to drop such that I would lose (meaning sell it and prcies be below MSRP). After all, very few new allocations given the RS builds happening.... your thoughts?
You are right
My apologies.
Joe mac (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 03:35 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Massive bond rally today.
10 year yield collapses 3%.
Youre welcome!
The two year - the subject of the article you posted originally - did not rally quite like the 10-year did. If the view is that yields are collapsing (you reference the 10-year above) then no reason to not have duration especially with the 2s10s still inverted. Druckenmiller who is long 2-year has some specific views about fiscal debt keeping yield at the long end elevated but those are contrarian so it's kind of a unique trade and most people are playing the longer end of the curve with their views.
AlexCeres (11-04-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 04:43 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
There's an unspoken agreement with my dealer that once I'm done with my GT cars that I'll trade them back in to get the next new GT cars. I've always gotten MSRP or a little higher and the dealer ended up selling the car that I traded in for about 10%-15% more than what I got for the trade in value.
I find it almost impossible to believe if PNH is letting you buy cars at MSRP they then turn around and buy it back a little higher than MSRP - why would they let you arb them like that? That’s just stupid business IMO unless you take a beating on your non GT cars? So either this isn’t exactly true or PNH should update their business practice because I’m sure they can easily get a better relationship than that where they don’t share the profit as much.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:03 AM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 128 Posts

I wonder if any users here have kept a precise history of all of their dealings with a dealer. On any one transaction, or even a small set, I can see a dealer making an unlucky deal that looks bad in retrospect. But over the years and many transactions, my guess is that anyone who does a lot of business with a dealer pays them a ton, whether through service, add-ons, trade-ins, ADMs, etc.

I even have caught myself with selective memory on my cars, until I started tracking everything in Quicken. For me, it is not that dealers have made a ton off me as much as I have generally underestimated my spending on tax, service, transport, insurance, storage, etc. That said, dealers deal with the intention to make money, so if you think you have made money off of them, you are either wrong, or might have been lucky in a small sample.

A separate factor is inflation, but you making money by owning cars when the market for used cars is rising is not you making money off of a dealer. I have 993 Turbo S that is worth 5x what I paid for it, but I wouldn't say that the dealer did me any favor by selling it to me for 80% off of today's price.

Last edited by 993TurboS; 11-06-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Manifold (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,342 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Dealers buy and sell cars every day, and they do it to make money. We owners mainly buy cars for enjoyment, and hope to get good deals along the way as we occasionally buy and sell. So dealers have way more experience in buying and selling cars, and are more objective about the money aspect. The best we owners can expect in the long run is to drive cars we like and not overspend in terms of our net cost per mile driven (none of us actually measure that).
Larson E. Rapp (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 09:01 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
I find it almost impossible to believe if PNH is letting you buy cars at MSRP they then turn around and buy it back a little higher than MSRP - why would they let you arb them like that? That’s just stupid business IMO unless you take a beating on your non GT cars? So either this isn’t exactly true or PNH should update their business practice because I’m sure they can easily get a better relationship than that where they don’t share the profit as much.
what USC describes isn’t uncommon. It’s similar to my dealer. Example:

I buy GT3 at MSRP. A year later, dealer calls and says, hey we have an RS at MSRP if you trade in your GT3 at MSRP (or even a little above).

Im happy because my GT3 didn’t lose any value, and I get an RS at MSRP. Dealer is happy because they can now sell my car for $50-70k over what they got it for while making a repeat customer happy.

Could dealer make a little more playing the ADM game, maybe, but most ADM buyers are one and done and usually not local so it’s more strategic to do what is described above.
The following 2 users liked this post by WenigerAberBeser:
Robb M. (11-06-2023), usctrojanGT3 (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,698 Likes on 5,115 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser

I buy GT3 at MSRP. A year later, dealer calls and says, hey we have an RS at MSRP if you trade in your GT3 at MSRP (or even a little above).

Im happy because my GT3 didn’t lose any value, and I get an RS at MSRP. Dealer is happy because they can now sell my car for $50-70k over what they got it for while making a repeat customer happy.

Could dealer make a little more playing the ADM game, maybe, but most ADM buyers are one and done and usually not local so it’s more strategic to do what is described above.
I believe usctrojanGTC leases several non-GT cars from PNH. Something along the lines of multiple Macans, if I recall correctly.

So the margins are there for PNH when they deal with a customer like usctrojanGT3, even if they offer him GT cars at MSRP.

Dealers always win. Always.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (11-07-2023), EMdoc (11-08-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:43 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I believe usctrojanGTC leases several non-GT cars from PNH. Something along the lines of multiple Macans, if I recall correctly.

So the margins are there for PNH when they deal with a customer like usctrojanGT3, even if they offer him GT cars at MSRP.

Dealers always win. Always.
of course, the point is to minimize the costs incurred as a buyer
Old 11-06-2023, 12:05 PM
CornWood
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser

This is so disgusting and enough to turn many off the brand.

Orca911 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 12:07 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm sorry but what about that is disgusting?
Old 11-06-2023, 12:21 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by CornWood
what is disgusting about this approach
I have been on both sides
my dealer used to do similar thing with MSRP allocations for GT cars and I sell them back to then 6-12 months later for MSRP
worked well for both
unfortunately, now the dealer decided to change their approach , and decided on highest ADM they can get , so I am on the sidelines for now. I am willing to pay a small ADM on couple of cars , but not the crazy ADM that is happening on some models.
why ?
I think these cars are priced well by Porsche
For example a 992 3RS at 285k is well priced but reaching close to max
with 100 k ADM , meaning 385 k total , I don't think the car is worth it that much
The following 3 users liked this post by pitt911:
Manifold (11-06-2023), usctrojanGT3 (11-06-2023), welikethetrack (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 12:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,342 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by CornWood
It’s capitalism at work.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

They paid over MSRP for my PTS 991.2 GT3 and they sold it for 10%+ more than what they paid for my car so how is it impossible to believe? They paid MSRP for my other GT cars and sold them for over 10% MSRP. Before COVID I was buying Macans and Cayennes from them below MSRP and yes when I traded them back in I would take losses as those cars were traded back in with 20k-35k miles as they were my real estate cars but I got to write off those losses against my business income so it wasn't a big deal for me plus I didn't have to deal with maintenance, replacing tires/brakes, and being out of warranty. Like I said, they've been providing me very fair trade in values for all my cars hence why I have a good relationship with them that benefits the both of us.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
jfr0317 (11-07-2023), RealityGT (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 12:35 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Perhaps the new 918 VIP program flushes out a lot of this with some quasi point system.

Last edited by mass27; 11-06-2023 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM