Old 11-06-2023 | 09:26 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

A buddy in FL got this today.

Peter
Old 11-06-2023 | 10:41 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

It’s ignorant how wealthy some of you are to pay $175k to be able to spend $298k. Does life eventually get boring when you get to that level?
Old 11-06-2023 | 10:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold

A buddy in FL got this today.

Peter
Buy now or be priced out forever???
Old 11-06-2023 | 11:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by shrimp money
It’s ignorant how wealthy some of you are to pay $175k to be able to spend $298k. Does life eventually get boring when you get to that level?
Who among us actually pays that kind of ADM? I’m thinking it’s very rare.
Old 11-07-2023 | 12:49 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
Who among us actually pays that kind of ADM? I’m thinking it’s very rare.
@richk paid $150k for his 3RS non-tribute and had to sell less than a month later to move to NY.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:35 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
what USC describes isn’t uncommon. It’s similar to my dealer. Example:

I buy GT3 at MSRP. A year later, dealer calls and says, hey we have an RS at MSRP if you trade in your GT3 at MSRP (or even a little above).

Im happy because my GT3 didn’t lose any value, and I get an RS at MSRP. Dealer is happy because they can now sell my car for $50-70k over what they got it for while making a repeat customer happy.

Could dealer make a little more playing the ADM game, maybe, but most ADM buyers are one and done and usually not local so it’s more strategic to do what is described above.
Nearly 500 pages later and folks are still deeply confused about market price vs msrp. The above works because msrp is meaningless. Dealer bought the car back from you for 50K under market value. ADM is usually cheaper than the subscription program even with the markups. It’s a la carte instead of the full tasting menu with a mandatory pairing.

Dealers are in the business of making money and know exactly what they’re doing. If a deal doesn’t make sense to you, then you’re probably just ignorant of where the money is coming from.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Diablo Dude (11-07-2023), RossP (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:43 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

We don’t know what the actual transacting price is. Anybody on the internet can ask for $175k. Folks were paying 100-150. I can’t see that for a 3rs but I can see the appeal for something like an S/T. So, really, it’s just a matter of degree, and shockingly some people are richer than I am. So it goes.
shrimp money (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, it does.

Just ask Phil Mickelson.
shrimp money (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 06:52 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Nearly 500 pages later and folks are still deeply confused about market price vs msrp. The above works because msrp is meaningless. Dealer bought the car back from you for 50K under market value. ADM is usually cheaper than the subscription program even with the markups. It’s a la carte instead of the full tasting menu with a mandatory pairing.

Dealers are in the business of making money and know exactly what they’re doing. If a deal doesn’t make sense to you, then you’re probably just ignorant of where the money is coming from.
implying anyone here doesn’t understand MSRP vs market price is disingenuous.

Look, I described what works for me and others. Buy cars at MSRP, use them, sell back at ~ MSRP, rinse and repeat. There’s not always a trade requirement either, but the dealer know I’ll sell back to them so they are happy. What’s so wrong with this approach?

There is certainly the approach of ADM shopping / negotiating, and then trying to sell your current car at market price (and probably losing the tax credit)… if you think you’re better off.

Last edited by WenigerAberBeser; 11-07-2023 at 06:54 AM.
usctrojanGT3 (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 11:06 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Look, I described what works for me and others. Buy cars at MSRP, use them, sell back at ~ MSRP, rinse and repeat. There’s not always a trade requirement either, but the dealer know I’ll sell back to them so they are happy. What’s so wrong with this approach?

There is certainly the approach of ADM shopping / negotiating, and then trying to sell your current car at market price (and probably losing the tax credit)… if you think you’re better off.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. I do take issue with people saying I get all my cars at MSRP without full disclosure of the total deal. Dealers are going to make money and if I was a dealer I would do the same thing. Just looking at a dealership the overhead has got to be horrendous and I do wonder what will happen to some of them when the music ($$$$) stops.

Peter
The following 2 users liked this post by 85Gold:
RossP (11-07-2023), wageslave (11-08-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 11:13 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. I do take issue with people saying I get all my cars at MSRP without full disclosure of the total deal. Dealers are going to make money and if I was a dealer I would do the same thing. Just looking at a dealership the overhead has got to be horrendous and I do wonder what will happen to some of them when the music ($$$$) stops.

Peter
the ones that have neglected their local clients may have some issues.

there was a time when 5-10% discounts were common on basically any Porsche and dealerships stayed in business… now folks are doing good to get a base 911 at MSRP, I think most dealers will be OK
Old 11-07-2023 | 12:42 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

the ones that have raped or neglected their local clients may have some issues.

there was a time when 5-10% discounts were common on basically any Porsche and dealerships stayed in business… now folks are doing good to get a base 911 at MSRP, I think most dealers will be OK
agree
my first ever Porsche was a 2014 CS 125 k sticker , I paid 106 K which is 15 % discount , brand new car , and they shipped it to my house , and gave my boys 2 GT3 replica model cars and I got few gifts from SA .
dealers have plenty of other sources of income
Parts are a big revenue generator . A friend of mine owns a dealership" not Porsche " and he tells me that parts are the biggest revenue generator for him
Repair that is another big one
financing kick backs on new and used cars from brand itself or banks
so dealers will be fine without ADM
usctrojanGT3 (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:03 PM
CornWood
Advanced

the ones that have raped or neglected their local clients may have some issues.

That's what has happened with me. I would have bought car after car every 2 - 3 years at MSRP from my dealer but they've not offered anything other than highly marked up used vehicles 70-100k over sticker with 3-5k miles on it.

I walked into my dealer during covid and ordered a GT4 for MSRP when literally no one was buying cars. They had two open slots for GT4's at the time.

It's weird but it looks like dumping the brand and going elsewhere for my next car seems like the best choice.
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I forgot about the point about getting the sales tax trade-in credit. I register my cars in Nevada so I get a 8.1% sales tax trade in credit on my trade ins so even if I lose 10-15% by not selling the car to the highest bidder, real loss is 2-7% along with the business loss write-off for my non-GT car purchases. That is well worth the price of admission of not having to deal with ADMs, begging for a car, and being able to get PTS on my GT cars. So yeah, it's a win-win situation for most people who have MSRP relationships with their dealers.
Old 11-07-2023 | 01:11 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CornWood
That's what has happened with me. I would have bought car after car every 2 - 3 years at MSRP from my dealer but they've not offered anything other than highly marked up used vehicles 70-100k over sticker with 3-5k miles on it.

I walked into my dealer during covid and ordered a GT4 for MSRP when literally no one was buying cars. They had two open slots for GT4's at the time.

It's weird but it looks like dumping the brand and going elsewhere for my next car seems like the best choice.
Did your dealer go from being an MSRP dealer to an ADM dealer?

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM