Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 02:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
because Porsche brand traditionalists will not support 300k -400k MSRP cars

porsche OWNS the 100-250k price segment.
Originally Posted by groundhog
Nonsense - thats a North American perspective. In other parts of the world people pay a lot more for their P Cars (and other forms of high performance cars). In fact I would go as far as to say GT developments and obvious improvements are held back by the North American market - which appears very traditional, conservative even.
At least it's true in North America, largely the most significant market for GT cars.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:38 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Well thats not the case.....

The total number of Series II 991 GT3 RS ~ is about 5,000 units and the total number of Series II 991 GT3 ~ 10,000 units - the US accounts for about 5,000 units or 33%, its also the lowest margin market,

The 992 RS needs something revolutionary - heres a thought, flip the engine and gear box as per the RSR - given it has two seats, there is no issue

Dear Porsche - might be time to listen to your customers that pay the big margins .....

"What does give me great pleasure is our cars are seen as sporting instruments, not collector cars" he continues "They get used, and used hard. Thats the biggest possible motivator to improve the product - because we know our customers will appreciate the effort and results"
Preuninger, 2018.

You should survey some of your RS customers......that would be a start..........Q1 ask them what type of licences they hold and get them to provide numbers for verification. This will allow you to weight the survey.

Time for the talkers to retire and the doers to step up to the plate and the apologists to stand aside............

Last edited by groundhog; 04-20-2020 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gp1 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:49 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

The total number of Series II 991 GT3 RS ~ is about 5,000 units and the total number of Series II 991 GT3 ~ 10,000 units - the US accounts for about 5,000 units or 33%, its also the lowest margin market,

The 992 RS needs something revolutionary - heres a thought, flip the engine and gear box as per the RSR - given it has two seats, there is no issue

Dear Porsche - might be time to listen to your customers that pay the big margins .....

"What does give me great pleasure is our cars are seen as sporting instruments, not collector cars" he continues "They get used, and used hard. Thats the biggest possible motivator to improve the product - because we know our customers will appreciate the effort and results"
Preuninger, 2018.

You should survey some of your RS customers......that would be a start..........Q1 ask them what type of licences they hold and get them to provide numbers for verification. This will allow you to weight the survey.

Time for the talkers to retire and the doers to step up to the plate and the apologists to stand aside............

Old 04-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At least it's true in North America, largely the most significant market for GT cars.

The total number of Series II 991 GT3 RS ~ is about 5,000 units and the total number of Series II 991 GT3 ~ 10,000 units - the US accounts for about 5,000 units or 33%
ipse stated that north america is the most significant market for GT cars. You replied that it's not the case because the NA market only buys 1/3 of the GT cars.
I highly doubt there is another single market that is responsible for more than 33% of Porsche GT car sales. The only other large market competing for overall Porsche sales with north america is China. However, China is full of poseur drivers, so they mostly sell Porsche SUVs, with relatively few GT car sales relative to overall Porsche sales. So please provide evidence that there is another single market in the world that is responsible for more than 33% of all Porsche GT car sales??? I didn't think so.....

North America is by far the most important market for Porsche GT cars. The 991.2 GT3 came with a manual...because of the complaints and desire from NA to have a Porsche GT car with a manual option. That certainly didn't happen because of influence from China.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-20-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:58 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Nonsense - thats a North American perspective. In other parts of the world people pay a lot more for their P Cars (and other forms of high performance cars). In fact I would go as far as to say GT developments and obvious improvements are held back by the North American market - which appears very traditional, conservative even.

I have to say my 720S is a far more exciting, interesting and innovative car than my GT3 RS - the RS is still excellent, but it could be a lot better base car and the GT3 manual is a total why bother (at least from my perspective).

I really find the 718 Spyder far more interesting than the likely ever larger, ever heavier 992 GT3 with an extra 20 HP thrown on top. The GT3 no longer has a mission or purpose - it will become a bloated parody of the 996 GT3 - which, guess what was the size of the Cayman. In essence, the GT3 is starting to suffer from serious mission creep - in my mind the 997 II GT3 was the pinnacle of that genre.
The 720S starts at a price 3x higher than a Carrera does, I'd hope it would be more exciting and innovative than derivatives of the latter. I don't think many are happy with the cheapening of the cabin and the bloat of a 992 but we're still going to buy them. Because what else is there like it? And Porsche hasn't yet done a GT-Sport like BMW and Mercedes have watered down M and AMG so I don't think it's all bad.
The following users liked this post:
thigos (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:27 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Drifting
ipse stated that north america is the most significant market for GT cars. You replied that it's not the case because the NA market only buys 1/3 of the GT cars.
I highly doubt there is another single market that is responsible for more than 33% of Porsche GT car sales. The only other large market competing for overall Porsche sales with north america is China. However, China is full of poseur drivers, so they mostly sell Porsche SUVs, with relatively few GT car sales relative to overall Porsche sales. So please provide evidence that there is another single market in the world that is responsible for more than 33% of all Porsche GT car sales??? I didn't think so.....

North America is by far the most important market for Porsche GT cars. The 991.2 GT3 came with a manual...because of the complaints and desire from NA to have a Porsche GT car with a manual option. That certainly didn't happen because of influence from China.
Not really - from a sales perspective it breaks down into 3 blocks (a) North America (b) Europe and (c) S.E. Asia. I'm not interested in manual GT3s, for me they are a pointless exercise - I am interested in seeing Porsche push hard with with their top flight products like the RS. By this I mean more innovation in terms of weight reduction, balance, suspension and aero. The current RS is a tour de force of what can only be described as yesterdays technology. Nothing wrong with that as it has produced an effective car - and highly reliable - both big wins, but not something that has moved the game on - and to be frank, if anything is moving the game on its tires.

Originally Posted by sp330
The 720S starts at a price 3x higher than a Carrera does, I'd hope it would be more exciting and innovative than derivatives of the latter. I don't think many are happy with the cheapening of the cabin and the bloat of a 992 but we're still going to buy them. Because what else is there like it? And Porsche hasn't yet done a GT-Sport like BMW and Mercedes have watered down M and AMG so I don't think it's all bad.
In my market the 720S was about 40% more, is it 40% more car? No, is it 40% more interesting from a design and engineering perspective - yes and then some. If you park them side by side at a meet which gets the most attention? easily the mantis green 720S. Which is the most interesting from inside - the 720S, which has the best ride - the 720S, which delivers the most explosive performance - the 720S. In contrast, I have come to think of the RS as a very good work tool - its incredibly effective at what it does. This sounds like I'm damning the RS with feint praise. Thats not the case. In fact is very clear compliment.

Originally Posted by n2cars
This made me laugh - I don't mind dealing with "head office", they are pretty sensible most of the time. At the end of the day they need to sell product and to do this they have to keep their customers happy. Business is no different to high level sport, or SO/SF military - you have to be able to take honest constructive criticism as well as dish it out. Thats how "teams" improve.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-21-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

I certainly would have no issue with Porsche pushing the RS to new levels. I love mine, but I want even more. Take the GT3R or the RSR and make it barely street legal and I’d buy one!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:53 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Not really - from a sales perspective it breaks down into 3 blocks (a) North America (b) Europe and (c) S.E. Asia. I'm not interested in manual GT3s, for me they are a pointless exercise - I am interested in seeing Porsche push hard with with their top flight products like the RS. By this I mean more innovation in terms of weight reduction, balance, suspension and aero. The current RS is a tour de force of what can only be described as yesterdays technology. Nothing wrong with that as it has produced an effective car - and highly reliable - both big wins, but not something that has moved the game on - and to be frank, if anything is moving the game on its tires.

In my market the 720S was about 40% more, is it 40% more car? No, is it 40% more interesting from a design and engineering perspective - yes and then some. If you park them side by side at a meet which gets the most attention? easily the mantis green 720S. Which is the most interesting from inside - the 720S, which has the best ride - the 720S, which delivers the most explosive performance - the 720S. In contrast, I have come to think of the RS as a very good work tool - its incredibly effective at what it does. This sounds like I'm damning the RS with feint praise. Thats not the case. In fact is very clear compliment.

40% comparing to a C2? Yes, that can certainly change one's perspective. Post some pics love green 720s!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:55 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

This made me laugh - I don't mind dealing with "head office", they are pretty sensible most of the time. At the end of the day they need to sell product and to do this they have to keep their customers happy. Business is no different to high level sport, or SO/SF military - you have to be able to take honest constructive criticism as well as dish it out. Thats how "teams" improve.

But how reliable is the 720s compared to the RS?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:38 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by sp330
40% comparing to a C2? Yes, that can certainly change one's perspective. Post some pics love green 720s!
apologies - price comparison was relative to a RS.

Also, so far, the 720s has been very reliable - however, I don’t use it as a track toy - only sees occasional track time - end of season family events that sort of thing.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
But how reliable is the 720s compared to the RS?
Yes, specifically with track work. The 720S is an amazing car, and I agree that mclaren is trying to push the envelope vs rest on their laurels (like Porsche), but I also know I would trust an RS to not break down over 20 track days in a single year, much more than I'd rely on any Mclaren.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 AM
groundhog
Race Car

From Sport Auto (via Google translate).

"But that's exactly what the GT3 RS will have to do if it switches to Generation 992. How does he want to do that? Let me answer with a rumor that has been haunting the scene for some time. It says that the GT 911 will also be conceptually based on the racing car in the future. In other words: that his engine could move a good bit towards the middle, between the axles. Is there something there? Let's see if a denial email comes in."
Old 04-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
We'll likely see the non-GT .2's get hybrid stuff and that is going to be the "big" change for the .2's. So I would guess the .2 GT cars will also see it but stick with the NA engine, will improve emissions slightly but rather than trying to squeeze another 20-30hp out of the 4.0/4.2, they will get another 50hp out of a small hybrid motor. I'd guess lithium battery, only a few kwh, but enough to do some regen/boost in and out of corners on the track. Will be a non-starter though if the system adds more than 100kg of weight.
Maybe even debut .1 with hybrid tech before the standard cars
Old 04-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

From Sport Auto (via Google translate).

"But that's exactly what the GT3 RS will have to do if it switches to Generation 992. How does he want to do that? Let me answer with a rumor that has been haunting the scene for some time. It says that the GT 911 will also be conceptually based on the racing car in the future. In other words: that his engine could move a good bit towards the middle, between the axles. Is there something there? Let's see if a denial email comes in."
They have been adamant about not doing that since the introduction of the “mid-engined” RSR in Los Angeles. That car was superseded by the evolutionary RSR-19 - there is no 992-based 911 race car available yet.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:37 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Guest89
They have been adamant about not doing that since the introduction of the “mid-engined” RSR in Los Angeles. That car was superseded by the evolutionary RSR-19 - there is no 992-based 911 race car available yet.
That paragraph came from Sport Auto - the leading motoring magazine in Germany. The article was about the GT3 RS following the move over to ITB. The RSR is mid engined, so there is no reason not to make an RS with that configuration - it will be a better car in every way.

Porsche have to evolve in a competitive market. The reasons for the mid-engined RSR are tire wear and aero. Mid engined cars have better tire wear characteristics because of the better weight distribution - the aero through more space underneath allowing for larger a diffusers. Meaning more down force without increasing drag. Sounds like a good recipe to me for the RS.

Quick Reply: 992 GT car specs