Sponsored by:

992 GT car specs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:37 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
That paragraph came from Sport Auto - the leading motoring magazine in Germany. The article was about the GT3 RS following the move over to ITB. The RSR is mid engined, so there is no reason not to make an RS with that configuration - it will be a better car in every way.

Porsche have to evolve in a competitive market. The reasons for the mid-engined RSR are tire wear and aero. Mid engined cars have better tire wear characteristics because of the better weight distribution - the aero through more space underneath allowing for larger a diffusers. Meaning more down force without increasing drag. Sounds like a good recipe to me for the RS.
Dawg you don’t have to mansplain to me ... I follow the factory team in both IMSA and WEC VERY closely and - consequently - know several people in the garages and in team management, including the guy who would make such a decision about the road cars given his recent promotion.
The following users liked this post:
786 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:34 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Well, that may be the case - however there is clearly some noise coming out of Porsche Germany for some reason - Personally, I can't see Porsche doing anything bleeding edge for the RS. However, they are getting close to limitations in both width, length, weight and track - likewise reliable HP and tqe for a 4l/4.2l - given the current 4l mill is supposedly one of the most expensive production engines in the world - so at some point they are going to have to get innovative, RAS, as good as it is is a kluged solution.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:12 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, that may be the case - however there is clearly some noise coming out of Porsche Germany for some reason - Personally, I can't see Porsche doing anything bleeding edge for the RS. However, they are getting close to limitations in both width, length, weight and track - likewise reliable HP and tqe for a 4l/4.2l - given the current 4l mill is supposedly one of the most expensive production engines in the world - so at some point they are going to have to get innovative, RAS, as good as it is is a kluged solution.
Yeah, the car has reached such a zenith; but then the future is hard to predict. For certain, hybrid tech will take the car into very exciting territory but as a model, who knows
Old 04-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Agree. Porsche needs to do something more innovative with the RS. Making it mid engine would be a good start.

For the 992.1 RS, I think the main improvement will be to make it 4.2L. The real question is the plan for the 992.2 RS. That's when Porsche will have to decide to just slightly tweak the current engine (like the 991.2 RS) or really do something bleeding edge, like make the street legal RS mid engine, or make the 991.2 RS a hybrid, etc.....
Old 04-25-2020, 05:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Well I got up early this morning for the ANZAC day dawn service - had to listen to it on the radio and light a candle at the end of the driveway (all official commemorations were cancelled due to COVID - good way to start the day thinking about the service of others, sacrifices made in times gone by and to those who still continue to serve and still suffer in ways that most can never comprehend.

Put me in a good positive frame of mind and thus decided to take the RS for a walk. Although its a dedicated comp car - its living breathing texture reminded me how Porsche got so much right with the 991 series in general (its my third 991 series car) and how very good the RS is even at road speeds. It really is a car that lives and breathes in your hands, how it lets you know whats happening - all the nuance you can pick up from various sounds and feedback through the cars movement and steering wheel. The soft gentle clanging of the 1/4 inch jacks from the intercom headsets against the roll cage. The faint smell of oil and brake pads past. So good, you sometimes wonder how Porsche will really up their game for the next one.

There have been lots of suggestions on this thread, a lot of them very good - however, it would be even better if Porsche got in touch with current and former owners to see what the wish list looked like. I hope they take it in the direction of a more motorsport focussed base car - would love to see it move in a RSR like direction - then I woke up and reminded myself its Porsche..........and they are conservative.

After a couple of hours on the road I retired grace fully to put the feet up and grab a cup of coffee - I put the TV on and it was set to a well known cable news network - for some mind numbing reason I watched in shock and awe at the nonsensical drivel that was pouring forth from various presenters, the monumental ignorance and the simple wilful clear cut misreporting and reinterpretation of various aspects of the news. I am not from the US, but have spent a lot of time there and what that organisation presents is not the United States of America that I know. As an outsider it appears that some of these outlets are wilfully tearing at the fabric of US society, wilfully setting one group of views agains another. Very sad, there will be a special firey, hot place waiting for them.

I have to say it got up my nose so much - particularly in regard to the pandemic - fortunately I had spent time in my Zen space RS and as a consequence I thought I'd do their job for them. See below.

There are lots of obvious take aways from this - you're all smart enough to understand what they are - clearly unlike the so called liberal media in the US who come across as hysterical bed wetters.

Back to regular programming, looking forward to more RS news. Gut feel at this stage is i'll be skipping the 992 Series (I) GT3 RS and go for the Series (II). Also thinking about taking next year off and filling out a full race calendar.....looking at a three car enclosed truck and trailer set up (as in articulated truck).......not sold on it yet.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-26-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typos
n2cars (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:18 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I got up early this morning for the ANZAC day dawn service - had to listen to it on the radio and light a candle at the end of the driveway (all official commemorations were cancelled due to COVID - good way to start the day thinking about the service of others, sacrifices made in times gone by and to those who still continue to serve and still suffer in ways that most can never comprehend.

Put me in a good positive frame of mind and thus decided to take the RS for a walk. Although its a dedicated comp car - its living breathing texture reminded me how Porsche got so much right with the 991 series in general (its my third 991 series car) and how very good the RS is even at road speeds. It really is a car that lives and breathes in your hands, how it lets you know whats happening - all the nuance you can pick up from various sounds and feedback through the cars movement and steering wheel. The soft gentle clanging of the 1/4 inch jacks from the intercom headsets against the roll cage. The faint smell of oil and brake pads past. So good, you sometimes wonder how Porsche will really up their game for the next on.

There have been lots of suggestions on this thread, a lot of them very good - however, it would be even better if Porsche got in touch with current and former owners to see what the wish list looked like. I hope they take it in the direction of a more motorsport focussed base car - would love to see it move in a RSR like direction - then I woke up and reminded myself its Porsche..........and they are conservative.

After a couple of hours on the road I retired grace fully to put the feet up and grab a cup of coffee - I put the TV on and it was set to a well known cable news network - for some mind numbing reason I watched in shock and awe at the nonsensical drivel that was pouring forth from various presenters, the monumental ignorance and the simple wilful clear cut misreporting and reinterpretation of various aspects of the news. I am not from the US, but have spent a lot of time there and what that organisation presents is not the United States of America that I know. As an outsider it appears that some of these outlets are wilfully tearing at the fabric of US society, wilfully setting one group of views agains another. Very, sad there will be a special place in a firey place waiting for them.

I have to say it got up my nose so much - particularly in regard to the pandemic - fortunately I has spent time in my Zen space RS and as a consequence I thought I'd do their job for them. See below.

There are lots of obvious take aways from this - you're all smart enough to understand what they are - clearly unlike the so called liberal media in the US who come across as hysterical bed wetters.

Back to regular programming, looking forward to more RS news. Gut feel at this stage is i'll be skipping the 992 Series (I) GT3 RS and go for the Series (II). Also thinking about taking next year off and filling out a full race calendar.....looking at a three car enclosed truck and trailer set up (as in articulated truck).......not sold on it yet.
Poetical, slightly political, with a touch of philosophy.

Many don’t appreciate that you’re being entertained at 30mph just as well as at 130. There’s more thought that goes into that little car; how to get everything in there to work in such harmony.

That’s one of my favorite things, really savoring the moment in 2/3 gear going slow. It’s the mechanical, but also the heritage, the smell of the interior, the complete unpretentiousness of the aura of the car. I’m uncertain if you’d get the same from an electric, but I’m sure the spirit is still there.

RS sans wing is an intriguing beast. If it weren’t for all the bodywork fins, Id get one. I do appreciate the exhausts, however, and wish one could get that exhaust design [which has made its way to the 992 as sport exhausts] on the GT3 instead of the duely.

Porsche does listen to their customers, they just make changes on their own terms Fighting for something as common sense as a base manual is now an unfortunate realty, so things can be frustrating.

As for improving the car. I’ve pretty much giving up calling each 911 the best, until they stop making 911s. Even recently I fell victim again; the 991 I called a perfect car. Then 992 arrives and it’s such a refined masterpiece. It might as well be a luxury GT car now, and the Cup versions will beautifully counterbalance that image.

998 will likely be a completely hybridized machine, so it you’re skipping the 92, I’d keep that in mind.
Patience is good, though.

Last edited by Porschian; 04-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

LOL, that post was like writing your girlfriend a poem, filling it with how to cook a hot dog and a bunch of insults about how you're actually really can't stand her family in the middle because you figure she's not really reading the whole thing, and then ending the whole thing with the rest of the poem.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
1963SWC (04-27-2020), JAhmed (04-27-2020), PhilT3 (PT3) (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:05 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 91 Posts

992 GT3 4.0 520 CV Manual & PDK
992 GT3 RS 4.0 540 CV PDK
992 GT3 RS 2.7 RS tribute edition 570 CV PDK (1973 items)
AmneZia (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:58 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
That’s probably about right; bottom too will likely get 4.2L from RSR
Old 04-25-2020, 07:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I’d be surprised if the 2.7RS tribute doesn’t have a Manual option. Also, let’s not forget it’s also 50th Anniversary of first RSR (2.8)...
rickman_fr (04-29-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:20 PM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

what is this "992 GT3 RS 2.7 RS tribute edition"? Sound interesting.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfans
what is this "992 GT3 RS 2.7 RS tribute edition"? Sound interesting.
Just a guess that the 50th Anniversary of the most iconic 911 ever (and first RS) wouldn’t go unnoticed...
Old 04-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It would be great if they make one. If they do, do you think it will be a limited version?
Old 04-26-2020, 12:58 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’d be surprised if the 2.7RS tribute doesn’t have a Manual option. Also, let’s not forget it’s also 50th Anniversary of first RSR (2.8)...
If they make a RS model both NA and with a manual option:

PORSCHE: TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

What are the chances of a regular person getting one though??? Most likely better odds at winning the lottery to afford the ADM!
Old 04-26-2020, 02:17 AM
tvasbn
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes 520 and 540(4.2L) seems right at 130HP/L. Probably the max that can be achieved with EURO7 emission. More revs are not the solution as with higher revs you get less complete burns of the air/fuel mix. Cars like Valkyrie will probably not be done at the advertised specs.

Quick Reply: 992 GT car specs