Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 05:17 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Well a new wheel is $975, and airbag about $950, so I'd say it's not a great deal. Plus with a used airbag, you don't really know what you're getting..
the replacement airbag is going to be full leather airbag, because my car is full leather.
so $975 plus $1100 or so plus tax.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:21 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera991
the replacement airbag is going to be full leather airbag, because my car is full leather.
so $975 plus $1100 or so plus tax.
Gaudin Porsche lists full leather Agate Gray for $957.18. It does say "unable to ship" but you may be able to talk to them about that. Leatherette is about $100 less.

https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...-95b880201qoe5
Old 07-16-2021, 04:12 PM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard that its not possible to buy a new OEM steering wheel with the top-center stripe stiching (even if it is just black leather). They used to sell those and I heard back from Suncoast parts and they confirmed its not possible to buy one with top stiching.

I was going to buy one and use a red vinyl tape to add a center mark. Without stiching, it looks ugly.

Anyone got any other leads on this? Has anyone bought an OEM wheel (not ebay refurbished ones) with a black top center mark stiching?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2021, 04:54 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
I heard that its not possible to buy a new OEM steering wheel with the top-center stripe stiching (even if it is just black leather). They used to sell those and I heard back from Suncoast parts and they confirmed its not possible to buy one with top stiching.

I was going to buy one and use a red vinyl tape to add a center mark. Without stiching, it looks ugly.

Anyone got any other leads on this? Has anyone bought an OEM wheel (not ebay refurbished ones) with a black top center mark stiching?

Thanks!
Are you talking the red/yellow stripe at 12 o'clock? Or red stitching on the leather? If it's the red ring at 12 o'clock, that's a GT wheel. PN would start with 9P1 419 091.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...l#post13833348

Last edited by ottodawg; 07-16-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:47 AM
spintype
Advanced

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Are you talking the red/yellow stripe at 12 o'clock? Or red stitching on the leather? If it's the red ring at 12 o'clock, that's a GT wheel. PN would start with 9P1 419 091.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...l#post13833348
I am talking about the red/yellow/black stripe at the top. When it is black, it is the same leather but you can distinctly see the stiching around 10mm wide. Some people have put a vinyl tape over it and it looks good. When there is no stiching around the 10mm wide black stripe, it looks ugly. I am trying to get a steering wheel (new or used) that has that black leather stripe (red stripe is only available in Alcantara GT wheels). Alcantara sucks IMO.

Here is the GT sport wheel: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991LEAG2GT.html

Suncoast parts just updated the picture 2 days ago and removed the black stripe at the top. Porsche stopped making those steering wheels.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype

Thanks!
i don’t have a lead on finding a new OEM wheel, but if you find a new or used wheel with the 12 o’clock stitching I had good results with a $2.50 sample of matte red 3M film from Amazon. I cut a 1/2” strip and it has a finish that matches the leather and the adhesive on the film should not cause a problem on the leather as some other tapes may cause.
Jim

Matte red 3M film

Old 07-17-2021, 03:12 PM
spintype
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
i don’t have a lead on finding a new OEM wheel, but if you find a new or used wheel with the 12 o’clock stitching I had good results with a $2.50 sample of matte red 3M film from Amazon. I cut a 1/2” strip and it has a finish that matches the leather and the adhesive on the film should not cause a problem on the leather as some other tapes may cause.
Jim

Matte red 3M film
Definitely. Looks beautiful. I bought a sample 3"x2" red 3M vinyl... but the steering wheel is nowhere to be found unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:36 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been combing thru RL trying to figure out what I need to do this conversion for my .1 in Agate and have some questions.

1. I might have a lead on a 'used' airbag. Where is the p/n located on the airbag? The only numbers I see on it is related to a barcode: psd1-x RDUH8291491 Mon. When I look online, it looks like the airbags start with 95b-.

2. Which steering wheel do I need? I currently have a MF without heat. I can't find the equivalent from a .2. It looks like I need to look at wheels from Macans and Panaramas? What happens to the "light" that indicates you're in Sport or Sport+? Is this available on the upgraded wheel as well?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:32 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

I was talking to Paul about remapping the diamond key on the MF wheel to sport plus so i don't have to get the sport response dial, as I don't have PSE and so one of the functions would be totally useless to me. He said it's possible with a PIWIS 2, which I have. Has anyone with a MF wheel (of either generation) mapped the diamond button to sport plus? That's really all I want as a 'push to pass' button.

-n.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:51 AM
Lee Turner
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I did it and everything is working perfectly. I used a 971 wheel from a Cayenne.

The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (10-14-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:01 PM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

can anyone confirm if you add MF to a non MF wheel car you loose the Paddle Neutral function

If need keep 991/981
‘Paddle Neutral’ function-'pull both paddle shifters simultaneously PDK shifts to neutral',please keep Vehicle configuration data steering wheel type with Sport Design steering wheel,change steering wheel type to multifunction will lost ‘Paddle Neutral’ function.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:03 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vartech
can anyone confirm if you add MF to a non MF wheel car you loose the Paddle Neutral function

If need keep 991/981
‘Paddle Neutral’ function-'pull both paddle shifters simultaneously PDK shifts to neutral',please keep Vehicle configuration data steering wheel type with Sport Design steering wheel,change steering wheel type to multifunction will lost ‘Paddle Neutral’ function.
I emailed directly with Paul Li about this and here is his response:

"If not coding vehicle configuration steering wheel type to multifunction,Diamond key can’t change settings in instrument cluster.

Keep steering wheel type as sport design,Diamond key function is change PCM media."

So, essentially, if you had a Sport Design wheel with Sport Chrono, and you add a MF wheel via the GPS adapter, you don't need to code anything and you'll gain MF capability and retain "pull to neutral" on the paddles.

If you're starting with a non-SD, non-MF wheel, you have to code and lose the neutral trick.

Either way, coding is the only way to gain the ability to assign a different function to the diamond key. But once you do that, you lose the neutral trick.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:07 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Turner
I did it and everything is working perfectly. I used a 971 wheel from a Cayenne.
I was considering the 971 wheel as well but I wasn't certain what function the "+" and "-" buttons serve. Do they also just control volume, same as the left dial? Can you mute audio by pressing the dial, same as the "mute" button?
Old 08-31-2021, 07:40 PM
Lee Turner
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by noahabel
I was considering the 971 wheel as well but I wasn't certain what function the "+" and "-" buttons serve. Do they also just control volume, same as the left dial? Can you mute audio by pressing the dial, same as the "mute" button?
Yes they control the volume the same as the other side. Everything works great.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by noahabel
I emailed directly with Paul Li about this and here is his response:

"If not coding vehicle configuration steering wheel type to multifunction,Diamond key can’t change settings in instrument cluster.

Keep steering wheel type as sport design,Diamond key function is change PCM media."

So, essentially, if you had a Sport Design wheel with Sport Chrono, and you add a MF wheel via the GPS adapter, you don't need to code anything and you'll gain MF capability and retain "pull to neutral" on the paddles.

If you're starting with a non-SD, non-MF wheel, you have to code and lose the neutral trick.

Either way, coding is the only way to gain the ability to assign a different function to the diamond key. But once you do that, you lose the neutral trick.
If moving from a MF steering wheel to a 991.2/Macan wheel where before the switch the diamond key is configured to move to the next track, after the switch the diamond key won't function the same way ?

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1