Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 02:56 AM
Lee Turner
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by na4life
It’s not that bad. Really, you’re making this sound way more daunting than it is. I had this done for my 991.1 GTS a few months ago and it was pretty easy.

When you go to order the GPS adapter just shoot the guy a picture of your current steering wheel over email and he can tell you which adapter you need exactly and if you need any other parts.

in my case, I went from the non sport multifunction 991.1 steering wheel with heating to the GT leather multifunction steering wheel with heating from the 991.2.

I needed the steering wheel, the GPS “adapter x”, and a 991.2 airbag from a macan (you can’t buy these on suncoast but there’s tons on eBay). My indie was able to install it for only 1.5 hours labor and no coding was required. Seriously, email the GPS adapter guy and he will sort you out. I would have done it myself but was busy that week. There’s great instructions on their website for the install.

hands down best non performance mod I’ve done. The steering wheel works perfectly and even the little wheel mode selector works well and syncs with the console (there’s a tiny bit of lag using the **** vs the console to switch driving modes but that’s a super tiny nit).
Spot on it's very easy. Just go to the GPS Adaptor site and it will tell you what Adapter you need. I bought the 971 wheel from ebay that had the airbag with it and it was just a simple swap. Well worth the effort because the wheel transforms & modernises the whole interior. It looks so much better.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by na4life
It’s not that bad. Really, you’re making this sound way more daunting than it is. I had this done for my 991.1 GTS a few months ago and it was pretty easy.

When you go to order the GPS adapter just shoot the guy a picture of your current steering wheel over email and he can tell you which adapter you need exactly and if you need any other parts.

in my case, I went from the non sport multifunction 991.1 steering wheel with heating to the GT leather multifunction steering wheel with heating from the 991.2.

I needed the steering wheel, the GPS “adapter x”, and a 991.2 airbag from a macan (you can’t buy these on suncoast but there’s tons on eBay). My indie was able to install it for only 1.5 hours labor and no coding was required. Seriously, email the GPS adapter guy and he will sort you out. I would have done it myself but was busy that week. There’s great instructions on their website for the install.

hands down best non performance mod I’ve done. The steering wheel works perfectly and even the little wheel mode selector works well and syncs with the console (there’s a tiny bit of lag using the **** vs the console to switch driving modes but that’s a super tiny nit).
Thanks for those details, that is quite helpful and certainly makes it more clear. I will check that out.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:24 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Dumb question here, but if you switch your steering wheel, then you no longer have the indicator of whether you're in comfort, sport or sport plus mode. Is there a way to enable that indictor in the gauge cluster?
Actually found that with PIWIS you can enable the display in the tachometer LCD: https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post17264919

(read the end of that linked post to see how someone with a 981 without a wheel that has the lights changed a preference to enable the display in the tach)

Last edited by osunick; 09-09-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Actually found that with PIWIS you can enable the display in the tachometer LCD: https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post17264919

(read the end of that linked post to see how someone with a 981 without a wheel that has the lights changed a preference to enable the display in the tach)
Damn! I wish that was easier to enable. I like that display better than the steering wheel.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:52 PM
osunick
Racer

Damn! I wish that was easier to enable. I like that display better than the steering wheel.
I actually bought a PIWIS clone for $800 including the Panasonic Toughbook and it was worth having for all the things it can do over a Durametric. I imagine I can probably sell it for more than nothing when I'm done with it, especially since I know it works.
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
I actually bought a PIWIS clone for $800 including the Panasonic Toughbook and it was worth having for all the things it can do over a Durametric. I imagine I can probably sell it for more than nothing when I'm done with it, especially since I know it works.
Interesting. I didn't now there were PIWIS clones out there. If I'd known I would have gone that direction when I was buying a diagnostic tool. Can you PM me the info?
noahabel (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 06:21 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

I guess since I only drive in one mode, "Sport", it really isn't a big deal to me. I pretty much always know what mode I'm in.. If I get confused I can always glance at the console..😂

Last edited by ottodawg; 09-09-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:35 AM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting. I didn't now there were PIWIS clones out there. If I'd known I would have gone that direction when I was buying a diagnostic tool. Can you PM me the info?
Same! Definitely interested in this.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:48 AM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

same here
Old 09-15-2021, 11:54 AM
vartech
Racer

Originally Posted by Yuan Li
Red cycle is heater socket,this clock spring without heating supported.

Retrofit heating function need clock spring with heater socket PINs,original without heating support porsche equipped clock spring no heater socket PINs,please check this photo
I see two part numbers 958-652-568-04 -Description: Cayman. Carrera. Boxster. 911 Turbo. Cayenne hybrid. Without heated seats. 911. 50th anniversary. Without heated str.wheel. Without multifunction wheel. MODULES & SENSORS. auto trans without heated wheel.
958-652-568-14-Description:Cayman. Carrera. Boxster. 911 Turbo. Cayenne hybrid. With heated seats. Without heated wheel. With heated str. wheel. With multifunction wheel. MODULES & SENSORS. auto trans with heated wheel.

I have a the sport design wheel with paddles. I am trying to get things together to add a 991.2 wheel. My question is do I need a new clock spring? And if I am correct in my thinking that multifunction clockspring have heat and without multifunction does not.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:22 AM
osunick
Racer

So I have a few updates from Paul’s instructions that I think will make things easier for people moving from Sport to MF. Paul’s instructions are the proper way, which assumes you will replace the stalk assembly with a three stalk assembly. If you activate the MF wheel the stalk will stop working. The reason why people do this is to enable the Diamond (aka Joker) key menu in the cluster so you can remap to various functions. On a Macan you can even map this key to ‘Sport’ or “Sport Plus’ which would be a nice way to push to pass, unfortunately I haven’t found a way to do this on a 991.1. However you may want to remap it to track skip or various other cluster modes, so it’s nice to have. With a PIWIS in developer mode (anyone with a PIWIS should know what this means) you can change the following setting in kombi:

Once you do that you will see a ‘Steering Wheel’ menu in the vehicle settings on the instrument cluster, and you can choose whatever you want. No need to buy an FSC activation code or redo the coding of all modules (which is riskier than just flipping a config). While you’re in there you can update the cluster to show sport and sport plus in the tach LCD: Kodierwert: Codierbyte 3 Anzeige Sportmodus change from ‘nein’ to ‘ja’.
noahabel (09-20-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 09:07 PM
vartech
Racer

What am I missing I gave the dealer a vin of a 2018 718 with steering wheel with chrono and pdk. I asked for the PDK GT sport wheel with paddles and chrono ****. he said it was 991-044-400-32-A34 Gt Sports Steering Wheel In Leather. When it arrived no chrono ****. Who is at fault?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:21 PM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hi code 7,
Did you find any solution to your problem bro? i am in the exact spor as you and being india really hard pressed to obtain any parts from abroad.. what i understand till now is the slightly different MF buttons have different design pin going into the steering control Unit plus the 3 wire pin from the GPS adopter doesnt go into the module plug. what a bummer after ordering parts and waiting months to complete the mod.
understand steering control unit #95b 959 256 is what most peeps here had and used. Mine has 971 959 256.G .
what did you do? new steering control module+ new set of MF buttons?
can anyone else chip in? Yuan Li bro?

Last edited by chandanYOGI; 10-14-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:52 PM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

hey bro,

can you help with the photographs of the work in progress +any special parts you had to order? the new fuller MF key lay out means you have different pin for MF control. did the GPS pin matched with the steering control unit ? mine seems to be not matching. so i am stuck.

Last edited by chandanYOGI; 10-14-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:10 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

So th confusion is cleared now. the GPS i had was the wrong one for the upgrade heel and had to be re ordered .In the mean time i am having a hard time in the following;
1. the air bag lights is on permanently!!
2. PSM /ABS/ Chasis management failure alarm is constant!!

the culprit could be a low volatage battery as car was not running and only kept in idle for sometime every onth for last 7 months. The battery is self is 1 year old,. ow much should be the ehalthy voltage ?

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1