Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:16 PM
jimmiejam
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I am going to add a "standard" MF wheel to my 2012.5 which was built W/O MF. I don't care about heat. So, I need a PDK MF, SCplus steering wheel, reuse the original AB, install a MF control module, purchase the "code" and PIWIS in to my system. Can someone provide a picture of this "MF control module/unit"? Porsche parts are not helpful and said it can't be done which we all know is not true. My individual search does not come up with the "correct" P/N reference or photo that I can tell. Any help is appreciated...
Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by RSBro
I finally found this thread again and made sure to save the link...

I have a 991.1 non-MF, non-Sport Design wheel and want the GT Sport wheel. Question is MF+heat or non... it looks like at Suncoast the non-MF/heat wheel is only $995, but looks like you MUST add MF/heat, if your car doesn't have it already, which is a $700 bump, totaling $1695. The non-MF wheel is $1395 but I'd need to add $150 for Sport Chrono, so the prices are almost identical. I like the look of the non-MF wheel better honestly, with just the drive mode selector, but doesn't seem to make sense to not add the MF/heat option for the same price, plus having Porsche do the coding... right? It seems like I'm missing something in this equation so putting this one out there.
The $700 option you see on Suncoast is for 991.2 cars. Since yours is 991.1 it doesn't apply. The simplest route for you is get that GT steering wheel for $995, 991.2 airbag, and multifunction delete trim from Suncoast. Then reassemble the wheel (delete the SC dial as well) and install. No coding, or other modules required. If you want multifunction, heat, SC, etc, you'll need to get a suitable https://gpsadapter.us/ module.

Last edited by olegd; 01-19-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:36 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
The $700 option you see on Suncoast is for 991.2 cars. Since yours is 991.1 it doesn't apply. The simplest route for you is get that GT steering wheel for $995, 991.2 airbag, and multifunction delete trim from Suncoast. Then reassemble the wheel (delete the SC dial as well) and install. No coding, or other modules required. If you want multifunction, heat, SC, etc, you'll need to get a suitable https://gpsadapter.us/ module.
Thanks for the input, that is helpful! I was aware of the GPS adapter being needed, but I emailed Paul and I apparently need a steering wheel control module, and the coding to be done also by the dealership or someone with similar tools. Looks like I'd need the "Adapter-X" module.
I think I'm going to go for the MF/heat/SC (since you can't do them separately it seems like), so will I still need that $700 option on the MF/heat/SC wheel?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:38 PM
RSBro
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
I am going to add a "standard" MF wheel to my 2012.5 which was built W/O MF. I don't care about heat. So, I need a PDK MF, SCplus steering wheel, reuse the original AB, install a MF control module, purchase the "code" and PIWIS in to my system. Can someone provide a picture of this "MF control module/unit"? Porsche parts are not helpful and said it can't be done which we all know is not true. My individual search does not come up with the "correct" P/N reference or photo that I can tell. Any help is appreciated...
Paul sent me this for the "MF control module unit": 958-652-568-14

I don't care about heat either, but can you buy that separately from MF/SC options? Are you getting the GT Sport 991.2 wheel or the Sport Design 991.1 wheel? I don't think you can reuse your airbag if doing the former, as it's a different shape and smaller.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:06 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, that is helpful! I was aware of the GPS adapter being needed, but I emailed Paul and I apparently need a steering wheel control module, and the coding to be done also by the dealership or someone with similar tools. Looks like I'd need the "Adapter-X" module.
I think I'm going to go for the MF/heat/SC (since you can't do them separately it seems like), so will I still need that $700 option on the MF/heat/SC wheel?
I believe that $700 option is for clockspring (with heat wiring) and control module. Again that option is not intended for 991.1 though it should work together with the gpsadapter. It gets quite pricey to get MF and Heat working, do you want to spend $1200 parts plus coding costs for that?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:37 PM
RSBro
Pro

I believe that $700 option is for clockspring (with heat wiring) and control module. Again that option is not intended for 991.1 though it should work together with the gpsadapter. It gets quite pricey to get MF and Heat working, do you want to spend $1200 parts plus coding costs for that?
Nope I don't lol. I just want a newer looking wheel with paddles. I was all set to buy the Sport Design .1 wheel but again, it really really dates the car. Would rather bring it forward if going to do an upgrade.

And per your earlier post, I shouldn't need any other adapters or units by getting the non-MF/SC wheel, and an airbag? That certainly sounds much simpler.

Last edited by RSBro; 01-19-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:49 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Nope I don't lol. I just want a newer looking wheel with paddles. I was all set to buy the Sport Design .1 wheel but again, it really really dates the car. Would rather bring it forward if going to do an upgrade.

And per your earlier post, I shouldn't need any other adapters or units by getting the non-MF/SC wheel, and an airbag? That certainly sounds much simpler.
You wouldn't need anything, its plug and play. I have a Macan steering wheel minus multifunction in my 2010 Cayman, works fine.
You can see my steering wheel here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1231872

Old 01-19-2021, 05:55 PM
RSBro
Pro

You wouldn't need anything, its plug and play. I have a Macan steering wheel minus multifunction in my 2010 Cayman, works fine.
You can see my steering wheel here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1231872
Thanks!
That's nice- is it the alcantara version? I'd looked at that but wasn't sure how it would fit with my Luxor Beige interior. However, looks like you have the same or similar, and it doesn't contrast too bad at all.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
That's nice- is it the alcantara version? I'd looked at that but wasn't sure how it would fit with my Luxor Beige interior. However, looks like you have the same or similar, and it doesn't contrast too bad at all.
I wrapped it myself . Its one of those custom suede covers that you stitch onto the steering wheel.
I noticed the suede is much warmer than leather in winter time so I don’t miss having a heated wheel.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM
jimmiejam
Racer

Paul sent me this for the "MF control module unit": 958-652-568-14

I don't care about heat either, but can you buy that separately from MF/SC options? Are you getting the GT Sport 991.2 wheel or the Sport Design 991.1 wheel? I don't think you can reuse your airbag if doing the former, as it's a different shape and smaller.
Thank you for the info! First time I've seen that #, I will check it out. I really do not like the .2 or SD wheels so I will just purchase a .1 "standard" MF wheel so the AB will be good. I can order a .1 MF wheel for PDK/SC without heat or with heat which requires a new clock spring. I believe you can get any of the specs on a wheel.
I just checked that PN. It's a "clock spring" and not the MF control module that I need.

Last edited by jimmiejam; 01-20-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM
RSBro
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
Thank you for the info! First time I've seen that #, I will check it out. I really do not like the .2 or SD wheels so I will just purchase a .1 "standard" MF wheel so the AB will be good. I can order a .1 MF wheel for PDK/SC without heat or with heat which requires a new clock spring. I believe you can get any of the specs on a wheel.
I just checked that PN. It's a "clock spring" and not the MF control module that I need.
This was his email to me:

[size=13px]Basic steering wheel upgrade to new multifunction steering wheel need replace to new steering control module hardware and buy multifunction and heating activate code.[/size]

If only need mode switch control,please select adapter-x to inject mode switch drive control signals to center console buttons module.

Following steps is add multifunction and heating:1, Replaced to steering control module(Include clock spring) with heating support,parts number: 958-652-568-14

2, heating and multifunction enable code,can buy from here https://www.code-porsche.com ,it’s related with VIN

3, Dealership install new steering control module and help activate multifunction and heating, Steps here https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...-multifunction

4, Gpsadapter install to new steering wheel.

**Replace steering control module need PIWIS to coding and need inquiries your activated functions code(board computer,cruise control)in Porsche dealership system by VIN,calibrate steering control module need PIWIS also

I think I'm going for the non-MF/heat anyway, but it would be cool to have the SC dial on it, but I assume that would need the GPS adapter and more items to make that happen? Are you ordering from Suncoast?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 AM
jimmiejam
Racer

This was his email to me:

[size=13px]Basic steering wheel upgrade to new multifunction steering wheel need replace to new steering control module hardware and buy multifunction and heating activate code.[/size]

If only need mode switch control,please select adapter-x to inject mode switch drive control signals to center console buttons module.

Following steps is add multifunction and heating:1, Replaced to steering control module(Include clock spring) with heating support,parts number: 958-652-568-14

2, heating and multifunction enable code,can buy from here https://www.code-porsche.com ,it’s related with VIN

3, Dealership install new steering control module and help activate multifunction and heating, Steps here https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...-multifunction

4, Gpsadapter install to new steering wheel.

**Replace steering control module need PIWIS to coding and need inquiries your activated functions code(board computer,cruise control)in Porsche dealership system by VIN,calibrate steering control module need PIWIS also

I think I'm going for the non-MF/heat anyway, but it would be cool to have the SC dial on it, but I assume that would need the GPS adapter and more items to make that happen? Are you ordering from Suncoast?
I got the same info from Paul. This is related to the addition of the .2 wheel on a .1 car. I'm just doing a .1 non MF to a .1 MF wheel w/o heat so the clock spring is not something that I would need but you will if you are doing the .2 wheel w/heat, if not then I don't think that you need the clock spring. Most likely will purchase from my local dealer, Champion. They are often a better price than Suncoast on may items plus no shipping. When no one, including Suncoast had ANY inventory of clear .1 tail lights or prospect of getting them, my dealer got a set in 6 days and was better than Suncoast in price. Still looking for the correct p/n for the CORRECT MF control module (unit) . If the MF is part of the clock spring they do not state that it is. I believe that they are two different parts.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (01-20-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:33 PM
RSBro
Pro

Did anyone have airbag coding warnings when they swapped to the .2 wheel? I just talked to Suncoast about this, and they recommended the .1 Sport Design wheel for this reason, saying when THEY swapped to a .2 GT Sport wheel and new airbag, the car threw off error codes. I get they 'have' to say this from a liability standpoint, being who they are, but is that legit, or just CYA-talk?
Old 01-29-2021, 09:55 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey... for those looking for the module they are on sale.

https://cyphervehicledesign.com/products/stmv1-stmv1-h

Last edited by shadow993; 01-29-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:15 AM
RSBro
Pro

Did anyone have airbag coding warnings when they swapped to the .2 wheel? I just talked to Suncoast about this, and they recommended the .1 Sport Design wheel for this reason, saying when THEY swapped to a .2 GT Sport wheel and new airbag, the car threw off error codes. I get they 'have' to say this from a liability standpoint, being who they are, but is that legit, or just CYA-talk?
Still wondering about this. I asked Suncoast further and haven't heard back, but looks like the consensus is it's just a swap, if no MF/heat/Mode dial...

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1