Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 06:00 PM
epirok1
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question-please help

I have a 2013 991.1 non-sport steering wheel, manual transmission, no heat, no multifunction. Wanted to get 991.2 carbon fiber version from Suncoast, but they only sell it with multifunction. If I took took out the controls on the left and right side of the wheel and added just the plain steering wheel spoke trim would this work or would I have to error codes all over the place? Basically not sure if having unconnected steering wheel controls would be an issue given my car does not have the wiring for multifunction and heating in the first place...? Thanks!!

Horrible wheel!

Will this work?

Adding these to remove steering controls
Old 07-17-2020, 03:21 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by epirok1
I have a 2013 991.1 non-sport steering wheel, manual transmission, no heat, no multifunction. Wanted to get 991.2 carbon fiber version from Suncoast, but they only sell it with multifunction. If I took took out the controls on the left and right side of the wheel and added just the plain steering wheel spoke trim would this work or would I have to error codes all over the place? Basically not sure if having unconnected steering wheel controls would be an issue given my car does not have the wiring for multifunction and heating in the first place...? Thanks!!

Horrible wheel!

Will this work?

Adding these to remove steering controls
You should not get any errors - the additional functions won’t work (which is to be expected). The steering wheel is very modular & pretty easy to take apart (there’s a small ‘processor’ box in the 991.2 steering wheel - you can just make it out in your pic above, it’s at the bottom of the cavity where the airbag would go). The multifunction panels are plugged into it. You will need to unplug them from there to remove them. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:25 PM
epirok1
Track Day

Thanks! Will post pics when it is done😁😳
Old 07-21-2020, 04:28 AM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi, tried reading through this but its a little long.
I have a 991.1 gt3 and want to upgrade my steering wheel to a 991.2 wheel. Don’t care about any extra features. Just want the airbag, paddles and horn to work and no errors.
What do I need to get besides the steering wheel? Do I need to get an adapter?
thanks
The following users liked this post:
wtforce (11-14-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:37 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
I have a 991.1 gt3 and want to upgrade my steering wheel to a 991.2 wheel. Don’t care about any extra features. Just want the airbag, paddles and horn to work and no errors.
thanks
Airbag and no

Use any wheel but panamera... it has a different wire harness plug.
wtforce (11-14-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:12 PM
epirok1
Track Day

Default It worked-thanks the tread and replies really helped!!

Much better!
myw (12-01-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:20 PM
browncf
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Replying in this thread as I think it could be considered the "mother" thread for upgrading steering wheels. I just wanted to share my story to the extent it may help others. I upgraded my 2014 C2S 991.1 non-MF, non-heated steering wheel to the 991.2 MF, heated steering wheel by replacing the steering control module, the clock spring, installing the GPS adapter, and having the dealership code it.

That's not the interesting part. What is interesting, at least to me, is that I then attempted something similar with my 2006 Cayman 987.1. The 987.1 had the sport steering wheel, no-MF and no heat. Notably I had already replaced the ancient PCM 2.1 with a Kenwood touchscreen head unit. Paul indicated that, while heat isn't really capable of being added, that volume up/down (only) could be activated. Those of you who have done this upgrade will realize that buying a new steering wheel, airbag, steering wheel control module, and paying for programming is a tad expensive if the only result is volume control.

Enter the Paser Unican Plus. https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/St...p81c62c63.html
The Unican Plus allows you to retain MF steering wheel controls when replacing the factory head unit.

So here was the working theory, swap steering control module, swap clockspring for giggles (only really necessary if trying to get heat working I think), install GPS adapter into new 991.2 MF steering wheel, get programming done. At that point, the GPS adapter should be dumping the MF command signals onto the bus at which point the Unican Plus would intercept the signals and relay them to the aftermarket head unit.

The result? It worked! Volume control, next/prev song, mute, input switch, phone buttons. The only thing that didn't work, as you might expect, was the "back" button which clears messages and helps navigate car menus and the diamond "joker" key which is configured through the car system. I got a question to the Paser rep in the US about whether those two buttons could be individually programmed and he indicated that they could not.

SO, the moral of this story is, if you have an aftermarket head unit, in theory, you too can upgrade to the the 991.2 (or panamera, or macan, or w/e) MF steering wheel even if you have an aftermarket head unit if you throw a Unican Plus into the mix.

My main tip in this for 987/997 folks is get the used steering control module first, before you buy anything else. They are darn near unobtanium.

I'm going to post over the in 987/997 forums so those guys know what's up as well. I don't plan on any how to's since at this point this forum and others are drowning in how to article for swapping out/installing these various components.

991.1 with fully functional 991.2 MF/heated steering wheel retrofit

987.1 with darn near fully functional 991.2 MF steering wheel retrofit

The following 4 users liked this post by browncf:
edirtaynine (01-19-2021), flgfish (10-30-2020), myw (12-01-2020), P991GTS (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:46 PM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I consult the masses to guide me, because quite frankly the price of failure (ordering the wrong parts) for this particular swap is far too severe for anyone to just toss.

What I am trying to do is to install a 991.2 PDK wheel into a 987.1 Tiptronic car.

So, sand beige is as rare as hen's teeth. I've pretty much determined that a black wheel will be the way to go unless someone can confirm a part number that isn't discontinued.

All searches I have come up with give me "no longer in production" errors.

Would this 991.2 wheel work in my car
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1G2PADDLE.html

With this module
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99761328901.html

And of course the horn and paddles need to be programmed with PIWIS at some accommodating dealership.

I have an 07 Boxster S tip with sport chrono and pasm.

If any members care to make other possibly better suggestions so I don't miss out for the sake of a few more dollars if its a better choice?

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 PM
Slngshot
Racer

Well, I solved the part numbers issues

Porsche dealerships in Canada won't do non OEM modifications (coding the airbag and such) and no indy shop has PIWIS.

🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slngshot
Well, I solved the part numbers issues

Porsche dealerships in Canada won't do non OEM modifications (coding the airbag and such) and no indy shop has PIWIS.

🤦🏻‍♂️
For a 991.2, Boxster, cayman wheel... plug and play for paddles, horn, and airbag.
flgfish (10-30-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 12:54 AM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
thanks
Im planning on doing this too. Although it would be nice to have the mf buttons on the wheel in the gt3 it doesnt seem anyone else has tried that to be sure
Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 AM
Slngshot
Racer

Originally Posted by shadow993
For a 991.2, Boxster, cayman wheel... plug and play for paddles, horn, and airbag.
I have a 987.1 tiptronic

I think you are correct for 987.2 pdk swap being plug and play.

The tip wheel needs the column control module and coding from what I've read and youtubed
Old 11-15-2020, 11:03 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a question. I have a 991.1 GT3. Is there anyone in the northeast that can do this for me? I am willing to travel to have this done. Love this idea!
Old 12-01-2020, 05:04 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

great job re both conversions.

Originally Posted by browncf
Replying in this thread as I think it could be considered the "mother" thread for upgrading steering wheels. I just wanted to share my story to the extent it may help others. I upgraded my 2014 C2S 991.1 non-MF, non-heated steering wheel to the 991.2 MF, heated steering wheel by replacing the steering control module, the clock spring, installing the GPS adapter, and having the dealership code it.

That's not the interesting part. What is interesting, at least to me, is that I then attempted something similar with my 2006 Cayman 987.1. The 987.1 had the sport steering wheel, no-MF and no heat. Notably I had already replaced the ancient PCM 2.1 with a Kenwood touchscreen head unit. Paul indicated that, while heat isn't really capable of being added, that volume up/down (only) could be activated. Those of you who have done this upgrade will realize that buying a new steering wheel, airbag, steering wheel control module, and paying for programming is a tad expensive if the only result is volume control.

Enter the Paser Unican Plus. https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/St...p81c62c63.html
The Unican Plus allows you to retain MF steering wheel controls when replacing the factory head unit.

So here was the working theory, swap steering control module, swap clockspring for giggles (only really necessary if trying to get heat working I think), install GPS adapter into new 991.2 MF steering wheel, get programming done. At that point, the GPS adapter should be dumping the MF command signals onto the bus at which point the Unican Plus would intercept the signals and relay them to the aftermarket head unit.

The result? It worked! Volume control, next/prev song, mute, input switch, phone buttons. The only thing that didn't work, as you might expect, was the "back" button which clears messages and helps navigate car menus and the diamond "joker" key which is configured through the car system. I got a question to the Paser rep in the US about whether those two buttons could be individually programmed and he indicated that they could not.

SO, the moral of this story is, if you have an aftermarket head unit, in theory, you too can upgrade to the the 991.2 (or panamera, or macan, or w/e) MF steering wheel even if you have an aftermarket head unit if you throw a Unican Plus into the mix.

My main tip in this for 987/997 folks is get the used steering control module first, before you buy anything else. They are darn near unobtanium.

I'm going to post over the in 987/997 forums so those guys know what's up as well. I don't plan on any how to's since at this point this forum and others are drowning in how to article for swapping out/installing these various components.

991.1 with fully functional 991.2 MF/heated steering wheel retrofit

987.1 with darn near fully functional 991.2 MF steering wheel retrofit
Old 01-19-2021, 11:07 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

I finally found this thread again and made sure to save the link...

I have a 991.1 non-MF, non-Sport Design wheel and want the GT Sport wheel. Question is MF+heat or non... it looks like at Suncoast the non-MF/heat wheel is only $995, but looks like you MUST add MF/heat, if your car doesn't have it already, which is a $700 bump, totaling $1695. The non-MF wheel is $1395 but I'd need to add $150 for Sport Chrono, so the prices are almost identical. I like the look of the non-MF wheel better honestly, with just the drive mode selector, but doesn't seem to make sense to not add the MF/heat option for the same price, plus having Porsche do the coding... right? It seems like I'm missing something in this equation so putting this one out there.

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1