Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With the .2 GT wheel and paddles the PDK performance does feel enhanced. There was a longer throw and it seemed a very slight delay with the .1 paddles.
Did a nice drive in the mountains today and love the feel of the smaller wheel and quicker action of the .2 paddles.
Ask Suncoast about buying just the paddles, but my guess is that if you want the paddles you buy the wheel.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
STG - I noticed the physical pull on the PDK levers between the .1 and .2 is different with the .2 having a lot less slop and less travel. More of a precise click.

2.5 Part question....

1. Did you notice the same? and do you think this is the primary driver for the proclamation of an improved PDK?

2. Do you think it is possible to only swap out the paddles from a .2 wheel to a .1 for the more precise "click"?
1. Yes, noticed the same. Also not as tall too, but not an issue for me. I'm not aware of any PDK changes in the .2

I think any changes are software related and behavior of the new engine of course.

2. I'm 99.99% sure you can't buy the paddles and hardware. Now if you had both wheels, could some MacGuyver like Plenum retrofit something by chopping up the wheel? Probably. Overall, you're stuck buying a new wheel. The .1 paddles do feel like a higher quality material and heavier. I was more attracted to the look and smaller airbag of the .2 than anything paddle related.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Benson Lamb
With the .2 GT wheel and paddles the PDK performance does feel enhanced. There was a longer throw and it seemed a very slight delay with the .1 paddles.
Did a nice drive in the mountains today and love the feel of the smaller wheel and quicker action of the .2 paddles.
Ask Suncoast about buying just the paddles, but my guess is that if you want the paddles you buy the wheel.
If you want a short throw paddle with a .1 wheel then buy the GT3 wheel. That has a shorter throw.

@shadow993 might have more info.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

The throw on my new GT wheel is way shorter than the .1. Very direct and light touch.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

What tools do you need to do the swap? I just bought a GT sport steering wheel for my car, i assume its a pretty straightforward install?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

I had the dealer do it, requires re-programming to set up new air-bag. On another thread I saw one owner did it himself without a problem, but another owner got a code re the air-bag.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:47 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

I had the dealer do it, requires re-programming to set up new air-bag. On another thread I saw one owner did it himself without a problem, but another owner got a code re the air-bag.
I'm taking my car in for the install in the morning. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I'm taking my car in for the install in the morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Super. Please update us
Old 12-23-2016, 12:59 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
What tools do you need to do the swap? I just bought a GT sport steering wheel for my car, i assume its a pretty straightforward install?
I think its pretty simple to remove the wheel and replace. Just need to remove the airbag and then remove the wheel...otherwise I am told its plug and play. Problem point is car will still need to be programmed at the dealer for the new airbag to work and not thow codes and IF you are doing any swaps like I did..991.1 MF wheel to 991.2 Sports wheel plus MF stalk then you will need dealer to reprogram as well.
Dealer did mine also. $314 cost labor w/discount rate. Not bad.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
Super. Please update us
Okay so I went to Hennessy Porsche in Roswell GA. My usual service advisor wasn't there so he had assigned me to a colleague.

The colleague called me back 30 minutes later and said they won't install the parts because I did not purchase the parts from their parts department. Apparently they have a policy of only installing parts purchased from their own parts department.

I'm livid because I had some of these parts overnighted at additional expense to get it done before Christmas. The only other Porsche dealer is booked up till next week.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Wow, that stinks. Why didn't your regular SA tell you that they would not install unless parts were purchased from them? Maybe try an Indy?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Wow, that stinks. Why didn't your regular SA tell you that they would not install unless parts were purchased from them? Maybe try an Indy?
I had a discussion with the the service department manager and he agreed to honor the promise to do the work despite the fact that it is against their policy. Shame it had to cause so much of a delay.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay so I went to Hennessy Porsche in Roswell GA. My usual service advisor wasn't there so he had assigned me to a colleague.

The colleague called me back 30 minutes later and said they won't install the parts because I did not purchase the parts from their parts department. Apparently they have a policy of only installing parts purchased from their own parts department.

I'm livid because I had some of these parts overnighted at additional expense to get it done before Christmas. The only other Porsche dealer is booked up till next week.
go to Jim Ellis and talk to Max. They installed mine on my old 991. I stay away from Hennessy
Old 12-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Benson Lamb
Instructor

Sorry to hear that, but you will love the result and forget the problem when you drive the .2 wheel. Cheers.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

I had a discussion with the the service department manager and he agreed to honor the promise to do the work despite the fact that it is against their policy. Shame it had to cause so much of a delay.
What a joke. So they'd rather not get any of your business?? They make most $$ on labor. They should be competitive on parts too.

Quick Reply: GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK